How do you get over past sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Sins of the past can sometimes creep into your mind and torment you. You feel like a monster. You feel sad that you ever did such a thing, even going to thoughts of not being able to live with yourself. Its dark. I can easily see this being answered as a work of the enemy, but beyond that how does one live with what they've done in the past? How does one move on?

Do you alienate yourself from what you did and see it for what it was? The flesh. Do you see yourself in light of who God calls you and not what you were? How do you find peace in your heart and mind to let the past be, just that, the past and move forward?

One mindset that might be helpful is to realize that the past does not define you but the present moment does. Its what you do in the present that counts, because it informs you of who you are today. Even that isn't fully accurate, because our identity isn't even so much found in us, but Christ. He has given us His righteousness, and He has set us free from sin's dominion. VVe are new creations, dead to sin and alive unto God. VVhat shackled us has been broken, and we walk in liberty. Not towards licentiousness, but in the light by God's grace.

VVhat are your answers to some of these questions? How do you get over the sins of the past and carry on? How does one live with what they've done? Is it found in God's forgiveness and that He has through the blood of Christ made our sins white as snow? Discuss, share your thoughts.

Nov 22, 2015
good post Ben!

Condemnation, guilt and shame are not tools of heaven and He doesn't sub-contract them out to our enemy.

Condemnation is the subconscious confession that your life is still worthy of being judged ( even though Christ took that for us )

Guilt is the subconscious confession that you are not forgiven.

Shame is the subconscious confession that what you are ashamed of is still who you are.

All of these above are anti-Christ beliefs and are in fact anti-the gospel but our enemy uses them and sometimes the "church" uses these same tools against people.

To me - being established in the gift of righteousness and being cemented in acceptance grace in which there is no condemnation because we are in Christ - these two things release the power of God in us to see ourselves as God sees us in His Son.

Romans 5:17

Jan 7, 2015
Hopefully by recognizing the shame of our sins that are past we won't be so quick to repeat them in the future.

Romans 6:21
What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

E

eternally-gratefull

I think satan brings out past up at just the right time to just defeat us, If our focus is not on Christ, it very well could

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
good post Ben!

Condemnation, guilt and shame are not tools of heaven and He doesn't sub-contract them out to our enemy.

Condemnation is the subconscious confession that your life is still worthy of being judged ( even though Christ took that for us )

Shame is the subconscious confession that what you are ashamed of is still who you are.

All of these above are anti-Christ beliefs and are in fact anti-the gospel but our enemy uses them and sometimes the "church" uses these same tools against people.

To me - being established in the gift of righteousness and being cemented in acceptance grace in which there is no condemnation because we are in Christ - these two things release the power of God in us to see ourselves as God sees us in His Son.

Enlightening post! That part on shame was eye opening.

D

Depleted

Sins of the past can sometimes creep into your mind and torment you. You feel like a monster. You feel sad that you ever did such a thing, even going to thoughts of not being able to live with yourself. Its dark. I can easily see this being answered as a work of the enemy, but beyond that how does one live with what they've done in the past? How does one move on?

Do you alienate yourself from what you did and see it for what it was? The flesh. Do you see yourself in light of who God calls you and not what you were? How do you find peace in your heart and mind to let the past be, just that, the past and move forward?

One mindset that might be helpful is to realize that the past does not define you but the present moment does. Its what you do in the present that counts, because it informs you of who you are today. Even that isn't fully accurate, because our identity isn't even so much found in us, but Christ. He has given us His righteousness, and He has set us free from sin's dominion. VVe are new creations, dead to sin and alive unto God. VVhat shackled us has been broken, and we walk in liberty. Not towards licentiousness, but in the light by God's grace.

VVhat are your answers to some of these questions? How do you get over the sins of the past and carry on? How does one live with what they've done? Is it found in God's forgiveness and that He has through the blood of Christ made our sins white as snow? Discuss, share your thoughts.
Judgement Day is when I "get over" past sins. And it's not I doing it even then.

For now, I tend to incorporate them. That doesn't mean keep doing it. It means remembering, "Well, the last time I tried this, I ended up hurting someone/people by _____ and I still regret that, plus now I know I can't ever make up for it. So, what's a better solution?"

If I'm tight with God, he makes me smart enough to seek him as an answer. On those days I bypass his wisdom, I tend to end up regretting the next decision again.

The past is for learning. Sometimes we forget to learn from it.

D

Depleted

good post Ben!

Actually, condemnation IS something God can, and does, do. (Psalm 34:21-22)

He has promised not to do it to his people. (Romans 1)

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
I think satan brings out past up at just the right time to just defeat us, If our focus is not on Christ, it very well could
Indeed, to drag us in the mud to blind us to whom God has called us to be.

E

eternally-gratefull

Indeed, to drag us in the mud to blind us to whom God has called us to be.
Thats why our minds need to be focused on who we are in christ, If we are secure in our knowledge that we are gods children, and nothing can take us away, Satans lies are powerless.

A

Ariel82

I don't get past sin..,.I give it to God and trust Him to deal with it and tell me how to make amends.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
I don't get past sin..,.I give it to God and trust Him to deal with it and tell me how to make amends.
So, making amends is one way to bring peace in your heart over sins of the past? Is that peace found only if the offended party forgives you, or is it based upon your sincerity and repentance for your actions that gives peace? If one feels sorry for their actions, does that not bring healing as it reveals your heart in the matter?

JennaLeanne

Dec 26, 2015
Great post :) Like you said, Recognising the voice of the enemy.. Anything of old nature that we hear is only to accuse.. The freedom is there but we are to be transformed by the renewing of our mind to that truth.. Like now I'm like If I'm a NEW creation that means that all things are new.. everything of old is buried.. The enemy can dig it up and throw it at me all he wants but it's a total waste of time now I know my identity.. Understanding our identity is everything.. If we don't we will carry our old self around with us like a stinking corpse on our backs.. It's totally dead but we don't really get that so we allow it to plague our minds every single day.. It's all a deception.. In Jesus we are totally dead to sin... Does that mean I don't mess up.. of course not but my focus must be continuously on his finished work otherwise condemnation will cripple me xx

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Methinks, is more a self-condemnation, of a thing/things past, that now you are this "new creature", you would rather that the Father simply prune this off, and cast it in the fire! The Good Shepard, won't have ANY of that! So?, we (speaking collectively, but actually mean personally here) are cast into prison, and remain, until every penny (farthing), is paid!

Actually though, this is a good thing! Cuz it is here, where we fight the UNSEEN war!! In essence, and actual laity, binding that, (overcoming) which is in heaven, and on earth (flesh)!!

If ya read that part where Jesus sez that which is bound in heaven shall be bound on earth? He doesn't make any mention of He, NOR the Father, doing this! Where people get maligned, is in the ASSUMING that Jesus, or, the Father does this. And, we all know what "ass-U-ME" is, right?

Pemican

Sep 27, 2014
I see a guilty conscience as failure to remember and believe that we are forgiven and cleansed from all unrighteousness. You don't need Satan's help to beat yourself up about your own past, he's too busy trying to rule this world to follow you around. You only have the present moment to live for Christ. If you find yourself living in the past, full of guilt and self incrimination, memorize, believe, and recall to mind verses like these:

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Psa 32:1-2 How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, Whose sin is covered! How blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity, And in whose spirit there is no deceit!

Rom 8:1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Php 3:13-14 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

H

HisHolly

I chalked it all to I'm human. I was in ignorance to the full weight of my actions.
I once heard a sermon titled "Her past paved her path" All on Rahab and how who she had been put her in position to be apart of the most royal bloodline..
Mistakes and wrong choices can all be used for God's glory. I stopped letting anything preChrist stop me from claiming everything I have a right to. I hope everyone does.

U

Ultimatum77

Satan likes to bring thoughts about our past mistakes to make us feel crummy and give up saying "oh what's the use?" but you have to remind yourself that person (your old self is dead and it no longer matters). I say this is my head or out-loud when by myself to remind myself that I am no longer that old person who lived carnally but strive towards my high calling in Christ Jesus. I kill that old person/sin nature daily by literally saying that old man (fleshly living) is dead and will not be revived.....

Mar 2, 2016
We have a tendency to let the foolish things we've done creep back into our thoughts. If a person was once a thief he/ want to let that define us again. We have to speak truth to those thoughts....I'm not a thief, I'm generous and honest. The words with which we speak to ourselves become self fulfilling prophesy.

May 26, 2016
Past sins are washed away by the blood of the Lamb and thrown in the deep sea that has a sign: forbidden to fish.

May 26, 2016
We have a tendency to let the foolish things we've done creep back into our thoughts. If a person was once a thief he/ want to let that define us again. We have to speak truth to those thoughts....I'm not a thief, I'm generous and honest. The words with which we speak to ourselves become self fulfilling prophesy.
Yes if you say you're a sinner and always do this or that you believe it and act accordingly.

Mar 23, 2016
BenFTW said:
How do you get over the sins of the past and carry on? How does one live with what they've done? Is it found in God's forgiveness and that He has through the blood of Christ made our sins white as snow? Discuss, share your thoughts.
I like Paul's example in Philippians ---

Philippians 3:

4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:

5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Paul had much to boast about in light of his being a Hebrew of the Hebrews. I have known people who were "perfect" their whole lives and felt they had done nothing wrong. EVER. No need for them to feel ashamed.

Paul also had much to be ashamed of when it came to persecuting the church. He actually dragged believers out of their own houses. When called by the Lord to go minister to Paul, Ananias said Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem: And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name (Acts 9:13,14).

But Paul put all behind him (both good and bad) ---

Philippians 3:

8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.

Good words to live life. Sometimes hard to do, and God can help us with that, too.