How do you view "tithing" in the modern church?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Not sure of the right way to title the question in a short form, so here is the long form...

In some churches I have attended, and in some I see on the web, tithing is treated as a requirement. In some, it is treated as a good idea, but not a requirement. In some it is treated as an OT concept which is not a good idea for the church. I've also experienced several different definitions of tithing (in a practical sense, that is).

How does your church practice giving/offering/tithing, and how do you see it? I'm not looking to be convinced either way; I have a view which I may share later. I'm interested in how others see the issue, that's all.

And lest someone misunderstands me, please don't just throw proof-texts at me; that is the style of ignorant you-tubers, and from what I've read so far, I think the members here are not ignorant. I'm interested in conversation, not flaming.

Thanks,
Dino

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
My church never mentions it.
God loves a cheerful giver, give as the Lord has prospered. Never under compulsion.

Nov 14, 2012
Not sure of the right way to title the question in a short form, so here is the long form...

In some churches I have attended, and in some I see on the web, tithing is treated as a requirement. In some, it is treated as a good idea, but not a requirement. In some it is treated as an OT concept which is not a good idea for the church. I've also experienced several different definitions of tithing (in a practical sense, that is).

How does your church practice giving/offering/tithing, and how do you see it? I'm not looking to be convinced either way; I have a view which I may share later. I'm interested in how others see the issue, that's all.

And lest someone misunderstands me, please don't just throw proof-texts at me; that is the style of ignorant you-tubers, and from what I've read so far, I think the members here are not ignorant. I'm interested in conversation, not flaming.

Thanks,
Dino
Imo, we are all given time, talent and treasure to be utilised for the Church

D

Danel

It's the one OT commandment that wasn't "done away with" apparently.....

10403356_883248148401082_8958091138374053375_n.jpg

M

Miri

People think some of their money belongs to them and some of
their money belongs to God.

In my opinion it all belongs to God, he blesses and provides for us.
The big question is how much of God's money do we keep for ourselves.

The widows mite for example she gave all she had.

I think out attitude toward money and giving is more
important than the percentage given.

Someone has already said it, God loves a cheerful giver.

S

Sirk

There is a very popular Christian radio ministry that I listen to everyday. They reach into the middle east and all around the world spreading the Gospel. Yesterday they said that just the rent on the towers and repeaters and satellites they use to get the Good News out there is a quarter of a million dollars every month. I'd say giving generously to Christ centered ministry is of the utmost importance.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Good luck with that not wanting "flaming" stuff............wait until "Yet" finds this thread

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
my church passes around plates, calls it "tithes and offerings" and some of the elders i've heard remark things to the effect that they see at least 10% as a sort of requirement, or at least an 'expected' activity.

i don't believe that view of giving ((i.e. that it is a requirement as law, or that our charity should be called properly a "tithe" or 'tenth' or be this specific amount)) is supported by the epistles, but i've yet to press the issue or engage in conversation with these elders specifically about it, because it seems to me to be a way to cause unnecessary division. i will have that conversation with who i should have that conversation with when the Spirit directs me to have it, and that time isn't yet come. no one has ever vocally done anything remotely like 'demanding' an offering from anyone in the church as long as i've been there, that i'm aware of, and the only "pressure" put on the congregation is the passing around of the plates that most protestants i think are familiar with.

certain die-hards who've made a 'pet issue' out of this might say that passing around the plate is an instance of demanding.. i don't see it that way, but to be honest i feel like the biblical example would be better served by a box somewhere for gifts to be placed in, apart from worship & teaching services, with reference to how Paul described his wish that offerings for the poor in Jerusalem be collected before his visit, so that the time he had with the churches he visited shouldn't be interrupted by such a thing. so i do agree with the 'die-hards' in some respects - i disagree with the emphasis some people want to put on this, though, but i also don't think we're all called to do the same things or encourage in the same ways, so maybe that is just that. to me Paul's epistles encourage an attitude of joyful & voluntary giving, 'not under compulsion' and are consistent with how Christ teaches us to give and do good 'in secret' and certainly not with any amount of great public show.

let me just quote a Christian rap artist to close out my comment:

The problem is sin
And following men
Not havin' a Benz
Unless you can't give it away
Then it is

- J. Givens, from "But You Ain't Got No Legs, Lt. Dan"

Last edited:
S

Sirk

my church passes around plates, calls it "tithes and offerings" and some of the elders i've heard remark things to the effect that they see at least 10% as a sort of requirement, or at least an 'expected' activity.

i don't believe that view of giving ((i.e. that it is a requirement as law, or that our charity should be called properly a "tithe" or 'tenth' or be this specific amount)) is supported by the epistles, but i've yet to press the issue or engage in conversation with these elders specifically about it, because it seems to me to be a way to cause unnecessary division. i will have that conversation with who i should have that conversation with when the Spirit directs me to have it, and that time isn't yet come. no one has ever vocally done anything remotely like 'demanding' an offering from anyone in the church as long as i've been there, that i'm aware of, and the only "pressure" put on the congregation is the passing around of the plates that most protestants i think are familiar with.

certain die-hards who've made a 'pet issue' out of this might say that passing around the plate is an instance of demanding.. i don't see it that way, but to be honest i feel like the biblical example would be better served by a box somewhere for gifts to be placed in, apart from worship & teaching services, with reference to how Paul described his wish that offerings for the poor in Jerusalem be collected before his visit, so that the time he had with the churches he visited shouldn't be interrupted by such a thing. to me Paul's epistles encourage an attitude of joyful & voluntary giving, 'not under compulsion' and are consistent with how Christ teaches us to give and do good 'in secret' and certainly not with any amount of great public show.

let me just quote a Christian rap artist to close out my comment:

The problem is sin
And following men
Not havin' a Benz
Unless you can't give it away
Then it is

- J. Givens, from "But You Ain't Got No Legs, Lt. Dan"
We have "offering boxes" at the exits.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
There is a very popular Christian radio ministry that I listen to everyday. They reach into the middle east and all around the world spreading the Gospel. Yesterday they said that just the rent on the towers and repeaters and satellites they use to get the Good News out there is a quarter of a million dollars every month. I'd say giving generously to Christ centered ministry is of the utmost importance.
You sure the local church wouldn't be of the utmost importance?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
The 'ol line...
I throw my money up in the air to God,
whatever comes back He must want me to keep :p

S

Sirk

You sure the local church wouldn't be of the utmost importance?
Yes of course...but for some, that IS their "local church", or it's above and beyond the ten they already give to their local church.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
My church does practice tithing and funds go to our general conference and then money distributed back out. I know this is how our Ministers get their salary. The tithe does not stay in the church where it came from.

I know some churches different denomination keep the funds given at that church.

God has given everything I have to me so I see no problem returning to Him what He gave and I have never been able to out give God. I am far from rich but my needs have always been met and I don't know that I need any more than that.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
People think some of their money belongs to them and some of
their money belongs to God.

In my opinion it all belongs to God, he blesses and provides for us.
The big question is how much of God's money do we keep for ourselves.

The widows mite for example she gave all she had.

I think out attitude toward money and giving is more
important than the percentage given.

Someone has already said it, God loves a cheerful giver.
There are more than a few people here who believe ALL of their money belongs to them, and God did away with any idea that some of it belonged to Him. See, they believe ALL they earn/gain is because of what THEY have done. Funny ain't it?

S

Sirk

There are more than a few people here who believe ALL of their money belongs to them, and God did away with any idea that some of it belonged to Him. See, they believe ALL they earn/gain is because of what THEY have done. Funny ain't it?
None of it belongs to us, yet He says we can keep 90%...thats a pretty good deal. haha

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
My church does practice tithing and funds go to our general conference and then money distributed back out. I know this is how our Ministers get their salary. The tithe does not stay in the church where it came from.

I know some churches different denomination keep the funds given at that church.

God has given everything I have to me so I see no problem returning to Him what He gave and I have never been able to out give God. I am far from rich but my needs have always been met and I don't know that I need any more than that.

Nor has ANYONE else.......some just don't understand that one has to give to receive

G

Gr8grace

Has anyone here ever looked onto the fact that tithing was Israels tax? It was for unbelievers and believers. the Tithe went into the treasury( The IRS for us.)

And the offering was always a grace gift that believers only gave.

Why do you suppose Jesus told the pharisees to tithe? They were unbelievers, and were "conning" the treasury(IRS) out of their tithe/taxes.

The Tithe was for the nation of Israel and was for unbelievers and believers alike. It was their nations taxes.

The offering has always been based upon believers giving with a cheerful heart and it was up to them on how much and where to give.