How does Mark 11:24 work?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 3, 2016
Mark 11:24 - Therefore I say unto you, whatever things you desire, when you pray, believe that you will receive them, and you shall have them.

E

eternally-gratefull

I think you needs to see it in context.

[FONT=&quot]21 Now in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. 21 And Peter, remembering, said to Him, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree which You cursed has withered away.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]22 So Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God. 23 For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says.24 Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.[/FONT]

Sep 14, 2017
If this meant everything as some suppose, then everyone would have the same problem as the rich young ruler, wouldn't they?

They wouldn't have everything, everything would have them.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
If this meant everything as some suppose, then everyone would have the same problem as the rich young ruler, wouldn't they?

They wouldn't have everything, everything would have them.
Who really has no doubt?

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
Mark 11:22-23 "Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them.

A truth-filled person is doubtless, for they are fully aware of the Truth. Since God is Truth, then what the truth-filled person becomes aware of is God's will. Their own will no longer, at that moment, consciously exists. Jesus Christ followed God's will. He spoke what his Father tells him to speak. He no longer is aware of his own will, but only the Father's. As he said:

John 14:11 "Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves."

We may have trouble understanding this because we still largely operate from self-will. But when we do operate from God's will, we have a conviction set up in us that can be described as doubtless and all knowing what to do or saw without needing reason or understanding. This is what having faith in God, like Jesus had, is like. IMHO

Jun 1, 2016
Mark 11:24 - Therefore I say unto you, whatever things you desire, when you pray, believe that you will receive them, and you shall have them.

its not a seperate thing from the rest of the gospel, the thing is he was teaching this principle you have shared , to His followers. they believed what He said, because they were witnessing the miracles he spoke forth, and when He rose from the dead as He told them He would, there was no place left to doubt a single word. Faith is the Key, but Faith has to come from Gods word, we have to trust the things he says, with the instructions ans warnings He gave. Jesus.

Faith isnt to just believe jesus is real, or that he is in Heaven now, faith is to beoieve what He said, because we Believe in Him, we Have faith in Him, so whos words then, give us faith? to come to a place where Jesus is always right, and be able to accept the things He says in the Gospel, not what others explain, but the things right there for us to believe.

can a man walk on water? is that possible? can a man raise another man from death, by asking God or saying " Get up" ? is that a possibility in mans mind in our understanding and logic?........yet, Gods word says, all things are possible. he spoke and all things that exist, became. that same power is in the words of Jesus Christ and in the witness of His life on earth in the 4 gospels. picture those miracles, as not miraculous for God. only appear as miraculous to us because He is God, and we are man.

"Faith comes from Hearing the message, the message is Heard through the Word of Christ" dwell on the things you know from the Lord and choose to believe His explainations of whats possible and How to acchieve it. we have to walk in Gods will, because if we do, we will ask for the right things. if were needin some gambling money.......im not sure a verse like this applies. if were asking something according to His will ( the gospel) we have confidence.

john 15 " Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.8Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. 9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love."

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?18My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

19And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. 20For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. 21Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. 22And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us."

when you know you are doing the things God teaches us to do, it changes prayer because you are not condemned inwardly, even if at some points you fall short, you have abundant mercy, when you are living with all your heart in plain sight of God, and understand the bible teaches us that Gods spirit, is present with us in us, and that is where all the miracles in the Bible came from, the same spirit that is offered to the disciples of Jesus Christ. << to believe God is with us, and Loves us, and is pleased to give His children good gifts, builds faith, and it is what the Bible teaches us to believe,

God bless

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016

You have to take all scripture into consideration in order to get the full picture, otherwise you are only getting bits and pieces. But to fully understand you need more than one verse. For example, read about Jesus’ arrest in Matthew and you will not have the full picture. Who cut off whose ear? Which ear? Point is the full picture does not appear in full detail just by reading one gospel account of the event. In the same way, we need to read more than one verse to get the full meaning on any subject.

It might say this in this verse, but if you consider other verses you’ll see that not only do you have to believe, but it also has to be in accordance to God’s Will. For example, if you pray for everyone to be saved, if God allowed it Jesus would be made out to be a liar when He said narrow is the way and few find it, that would also take away God-given freewill- there would be no point in obeying Him, and since people sin, He would have sinners in heaven. There would have been no point in Him blocking off the garden from Adam and Eve so that they could not also eat of the tree of life in their sinful state.

Your prayers have to be in accordance to Gods Will, and you have to do everything on your part that you can to promote it coming about. God opened up the gates of prison for the apostles, but it was up to them whether or not to walk out. In one instance it was good to, in another instance it was good not to- even though the gates were opened- which means we also have to follow our conscience in the matter.

No matter what verses get us excited, if we consider all of them (the complete picture), we will realize we can never treat God like a genie- we are His servants, He does not cater to us, we cater to Him.

Last edited:

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
might be important to comprehending this, what the meaning of cursing the fig tree is, right? :rolleyes:
what's a mountain? what's the sea?

Jan 25, 2018
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Romans 12:2

Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Matthew 6:9-10

Our prayers are bounded by Gods will. If you know that the thing you desire
in Gods will, is Gods will, He will provide.

Unfortunately few understand Gods will, or know what is selfish ends

When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
James 4:3-4

Dec 12, 2013
Everything within the will of GOD.......interesting truth....after David sinned with Bathsheba and Uriah God told him....if you wanted more all you would have had to do is ask........a wonderful truth in the N.T.....being Godly and CONTENT is great GAIN..........just saying...... ;)

Feb 28, 2016
[TABLE="class: table_bible, width: 0"]
[TR]
[TD="class: td_bible_text"]some good posts here...

1JOHN 5:14-15.
And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask any thing according to His will, He hears us:

And if we know that He hears us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

EarsToHear

Jan 14, 2016
Mark 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

Remember, to believe is to have faith. A ministry that sets itself against the Kenite, Satan and his offspring, will always be blessed by the heavenly Father. God will bless you for doing it His way, chapter by chapter and verse by verse, building each precept upon itself.

Stay in the Word of God, and believe it as God's Spirit reveals it to you.

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
It helps if a person knows the truth about what they are asking for.

Long time ago I prayed daily for patience at my workplace. But every day became a trial for me. After a few months of this I came to the point of asking God, I said in my prayer "God, I have been praying for patience everyday for months now and all I getting is problems to deal with, so what's going on"? Suddenly I heard a stern voice in my head "How else are you going to learn!"

I asked God to cancel my prayer. That day at work everything was hunky-dory. I thought that everybody was different, they were kind and friendly. Surely they all did not change just for me. No, but I changed. My perspective and attitude had suddenly changed without realizing it.

So what happened? God altered my perspective and attitude to see problems for me to practice patience. There was nothing wrong with others and the world but my view of these things. What I am saying is that what we ask for in prayer does get answered but are we prepared to recognize it.

Sometimes we need to stop looking where we want to go, and look back at where we are coming from. By doing so, we get a better chance of seeing the truth of what we are asking from God.

Sep 14, 2017

Long time ago I prayed daily for patience at my workplace. But every day became a trial for me. After a few months of this I came to the point of asking God, I said in my prayer "God, I have been praying for patience everyday for months now and all I getting is problems to deal with, so what's going on"? Suddenly I heard a stern voice in my head "How else are you going to learn!"

I asked God to cancel my prayer. That day at work everything was hunky-dory. I thought that everybody was different, they were kind and friendly. Surely they all did not change just for me. No, but I changed. My perspective and attitude had suddenly changed without realizing it.

So what happened? God altered my perspective and attitude to see problems for me to practice patience. There was nothing wrong with others and the world but my view of these things. What I am saying is that what we ask for in prayer does get answered but are we prepared to recognize it.

Sometimes we need to stop looking where we want to go, and look back at where we are coming from. By doing so, we get a better chance of seeing the truth of what we are asking from God.
I think if we looked back at where we came from, & remembered Who took us from there, we would know a little better about what to ask for.:)

Nov 12, 2015

Great post!
When we get to the point where we don't argue incessantly in ourselves over what Gods will is but instead begin to see that our current circumstance IS His will for us, we begin to love very difficult people and begin to pray for them.

Its difficult to hate someone He has used to bring us such blessing and growth in virtue, even if they treated us very badly! :) we love them because He used them as an instrument for our great good! We pray for them because we want them to be blessed as much as we were blessed through them.

One man said: Joseph could never have been helped as much by his brothers had they shown him favor as he was by their hatred!

Eromonnis

Dec 21, 2017
Great post!
When we get to the point where we don't argue incessantly in ourselves over what Gods will is but instead begin to see that our current circumstance IS His will for us, we begin to love very difficult people and begin to pray for them.

Its difficult to hate someone He has used to bring us such blessing and growth in virtue, even if they treated us very badly! :) we love them because He used them as an instrument for our great good! We pray for them because we want them to be blessed as much as we were blessed through them.

One man said: Joseph could never have been helped as much by his brothers had they shown him favor as he was by their hatred!
Great response. Hence love thy enemy.

Jun 1, 2016

You have to take all scripture into consideration in order to get the full picture, otherwise you are only getting bits and pieces. But to fully understand you need more than one verse. For example, read about Jesus’ arrest in Matthew and you will not have the full picture. Who cut off whose ear? Which ear? Point is the full picture does not appear in full detail just by reading one gospel account of the event. In the same way, we need to read more than one verse to get the full meaning on any subject.

It might say this in this verse, but if you consider other verses you’ll see that not only do you have to believe, but it also has to be in accordance to God’s Will. For example, if you pray for everyone to be saved, if God allowed it Jesus would be made out to be a liar when He said narrow is the way and few find it, that would also take away God-given freewill- there would be no point in obeying Him, and since people sin, He would have sinners in heaven. There would have been no point in Him blocking off the garden from Adam and Eve so that they could not also eat of the tree of life in their sinful state.

Your prayers have to be in accordance to Gods Will, and you have to do everything on your part that you can to promote it coming about. God opened up the gates of prison for the apostles, but it was up to them whether or not to walk out. In one instance it was good to, in another instance it was good not to- even though the gates were opened- which means we also have to follow our conscience in the matter.

No matter what verses get us excited, if we consider all of them (the complete picture), we will realize we can never treat God like a genie- we are His servants, He does not cater to us, we cater to Him.

He was a servant to Us first is the thing tho. and He says those who obey Him are no longer His servants, but His friends, He doesnt want us to see ourselves as servants, a King doesnt lay His life down for them, He does that for those He Loves more than is expressable. He wants us to come into His will and Live as children of God, because His will is to bless us and give us the things of eternity. Jesus actaully says when He returns, those who are waiting for Him, He will dress Himself to serve and wait on them.

Now, myself i cant imagine doing anything but kissing His feet when He returns, but He wants us to understand that He doesnt want man to be crushed and oppressed beneath His feet, He wants to reach down with His mighty Hand, into the mire we call Life, and lift us up to the throne of Grace, briung us into His family, His presence. yes indeed we are servants of God, but the servants of God, are the apple of His eye, His beloved children, and He wills that we come to Him with every request, with every desire of Our Hearts, Just for the purpose of giving us the things He has always had prepared for us.

Jesus was the servant of God, we are sevants of God through Him. He was the Beloved son, we are the beloved children, God gave all things into His hand because He Loves Him, God offers us to share in Jesus inheritance. when you really really really Love your dad, and He gets old and gray, you do anything for Him, because you Know He Loves you and you remember all He has done for you, and you just Love Him. if you have to serve Him, its not as a servant who is obligated by His wages, but you are a Beloved Son, just doing the things your dad taught you by His example of Loving you so well.

to see God High on a Mountain, surounded by fire and Lightning, thunder and the command no one approach even the base of this mountain or i will destroy you" is a God to be served because your are afraid he will destroy you at any time. Jesus shows us Gods mage in truth which man forgot....this is an example of How Jesus taught us to see God and ourselves

Luke 15 " And he said, A certain man had two sons: 12And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. 13And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living.

14And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want. 15And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. 16And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave unto him. 17And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! 18I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, 19And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants. <<< the sons request, to be as a servant20And he arose, and came to his father.>>> But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. 21And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. <<< the sons words

22But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: 23And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: 24For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry."

when we are willing to be servants, God says were His beloved Children. all who have sinned and gotten away from God at some point are the prodigal. Notice the prodigal sees Himself as unworthy because he has realized or came to Himself, what he had done and how foolish it was. his intent is just to get aq bed in the servants quarters and a meal a day. he is underestimating His father desire to see His face, because hes been away so long he forgot How wonderful His father is and that it was He who chose to leave.

so His father sees Him far away and comes running to meet Him, throws His arms around His beloved youngest son, kisses and Hugs. Notice there is no mention of any wrongs, just abundant and overwhelming Joy. even as the son begins to tell His father how he has sinned and isnt worthy, the father is too busy commanding His servants, to Get the best robe, good shoes, the family ring is put quickly on His finger, a feast for the hungry son.......already as soon as He comes home, before hes even reached the door, the father is showering Him with the best things, all of the things he always had waiting, but just couldnt see its worth enough to go home all this time.

meanwhile the Father is just waiting and Hoping to see His Lost son in order to shower Him with Love and Lavish Him with the family possessions. God Loves us thats the reason hes worth serving we w9ill always be Loved More than we can Love Him, but wow does He Love us immeasurably, and Longs to hold us close......like the prodigal we need to come to our senses and go home