How does one?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I know some one that apears to be under a spirit of oppression.
I pray for them and bind in the name of Jesus.
But what other ways does one in Jesus rid another of an oppressive spirit?
And yes this person says they believe and has accepted Jesus into their heart.
Thankyou for all information.
God bless, pickles

C

Consumed

good point pickles, its been a perplexing question with me too as Jesus stated whoever believes in Him shall lay hands on the sick and they shall be healed, no formulaes, no questionaires nothing, just that they shall. I always put it back on myself that God wants me so much more to decrease, iv prayed for people and seen God do some marvellous things that has left me in awe of His power, yet not everyone i pray for does this manifest. i know that the mortifying of the flesh is the key to it. Whenever i read they brought all who were sick and demonized to Jesus and all were healed makes me think on the simple fact that not all who were taken probably didnt want or knew they were going, i dont know.

one thing i know is ive only added nothing to your post of what does that person have to do by other than they keep saying and confessing their faith that they are healed,

Mar 11, 2009
peace be to you
once I cast out a spirit in Jesus name from someone just for her to ask for it back.People dont always know what they want.My heart always hopes all are saved but it also knows its in Gods hands,Once I left my peace to a house and it came back.I pray and pray more for the woman,but it is her choice not mine.

Many people state things like,its wicked good,thats like ungodly talking about it like its a good term,I feel like saying you dont know evil or you would take back those sayings.I hope this helps pickles
Love a friend in God

L

lighthousejohn

God bless, pickles
Pickles,

Wisdomseeker and Consumed both touched on the answer. God does not take something away from us that we do not let go of. The key is the mind and heartset of the person being oppressed / possessed. If you are praying for a believer (oppressed) or a non-believer (possibly possessed) then they both need to surrender to the ministry of the Holy Spirit. If they do not then they are just giving the spirit legal authority to stay and to possibly bring other spirits with it to increase the torment (Matthew 12:43-45).

BTW, it has nothing to do with their faith. I have been used of God to deliver a non-believer from a possessive spirit and the individual surrendered his life to Christ afterwards. The spirit had to be removed first so that he would be able to clearly hear the gospel without confusion.

I have always found it best to ask the person to give me permission to pray for them. If I sense the presence of an evil spirit I then ask them if I can pray against it. If they are unwilling to give permission then it will depend on the sovereign grace of God for them to be delivered.

In Christ,
John

D

Dmurray

Huh. interesting. I've been dealing with my grandfather lately, who is far against Christ. He's practiced a lot of Satanic practices before, there's not a doubt in my mind that he has Evil Spirits in him and his house. I do my best to keep my cool when I'm there, but he tries to push me away from Christ. I don't think he realizes it though. The other day, I was getting really agrivated and all of a sudden its as if God puled me up off the couch and I said I have to go I can't listen to you call down my faith anymore. And I left at that. I pray for him at home, but have never prayed with him. I don't know if he'd be willing to or not, and I don't know how I would pray either.

Sorry to take away from your post Pickles :) I just thought it was interesting 'cause I deal with the same thing.

God Bless.

C

Consumed

[quote, and I don't know how I would pray either.

God Bless.[/quote]

bro best part is the Holy Spirit will put the words in your mouth, your in the best position by not knowing what to say, you stated you felt God move you to leave, keep praying for him, when Gods timing has come He will do the rest, just believe. I prayed for someone once, felt compelled strongly to pray for them didnt know them, i asked them if i could, they said yes and the words that come out of my mouth amazed be, i whispered in her ear "thank you Jesus, come out you foul spirit in Jesus name" bang she dropped to the floor convulsing and screaming....

all things are possible with God, all things, we just need to believe, thats our foundation of faith, that we believe that we can do what Jesus said we would do, and even greater Jesus said we would do than when He walked the earth in flesh...
Praise be to the Lamb of God who came and took the sins of the world away, our Lord and King, JESUS

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Thankyou all so much for your help.
Dmurray, no worries, your post helped.
I know what you speak to, when one of these people enters my home I can feel the darkness and pride come with them.
I often also feel the sence of laughing at us. Not of the person at all but the oppression.
This is God's work in Jesus.
You all helped alot, thankyou.
God bless, pickles

Feb 9, 2010
14And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
15Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
16And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
17Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
18And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. 21Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting(Matthew 17:14-21).

Unbelief will hinder us,but if we do not pray and fast,even if we do not have unbelief,we cannot do some things.

Matt

S

Slepsog4

Please explain what you mean by a "spirit of oppression". Do you believe this is an actual entity somehow acting on this person? Where do you find this kind of thing supported in Scripture?

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Im not as good at the scriptures to referance for you. Hopefully one of those that are gifted in this can.
My understanding is that opressed is a spirit or spirits that follows one or constantly holds one from the outside , through sin. Sometimes of parents, or another close to you, or your own. Sometime simply because of weakness . Sometimes because invited.
They can cause one to feel constanyly heavy , through failier, depression, defeate. Like a voice that seems like it is your own thoughts, but it is oppression that makes one feel this way.

God bless, pickles

L

lighthousejohn

Please explain what you mean by a "spirit of oppression". Do you believe this is an actual entity somehow acting on this person? Where do you find this kind of thing supported in Scripture?
A spirit of oppression is not definable by any particular verse. It is more a purpose of some spirits to cause the believer to "feel" oppressed by any one of many different ways. The oppression could be because of finances, family issues, your job, a serices of successive failures, persistant spiritual depression and so forth. The primary purpose of this spirit group is to get the believer's mind off of God and onto the problem or problems. They fit into the category of spiritual strongholds.

I hope this helps.

In Christ,
John

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Thankyou John, well said.
God bless, pickles

May 21, 2009
The mind and the mouth. Have to be controlled. Want life and good things. Some people are stuck in always expecting bad things to happen. They think on bad things happening to them all the time. Why do this I'll fail. It won't work why bother. I feel terrible and thats how it is and thats how it will always be.

The mind must be controlled. The mouth speaks what the mind thinks.

Blessings and cursings come of the mouth and mind. Expect everything to be bad and it will be.

A new mind set must be in order to get through this world. To have good thoughts and to speak good things.

What everyone said was wonderful and I was so happy to see people who fight satan.

Plus all sin needs to be gone. Ask has the person forgiven anyone they can think of. Do they have any sins they need to stop. The Lord can help them if they confess the sin and ask him to help.

Dec 19, 2009
God bless, pickles
Sometimes a person needs a "kick in the shins." Or a shoulder to lean on. Or a suggestion.

May 21, 2009
33 that funny. Not very long ago I was praying for this young lady who is acting a fool and throwing her life away. The Lord said she needs a swift kick in the butt.

I knew he wasn't telling me to go kick her. But she had already seen wonders from the Lord and she was choosing to screw things up for herself. And she didn't need all the cutesy talk she needed to be told firmly. And the Lord didn't want us being enablers to her and the poor me sindrom.