How does the label "Protestant" sit with you?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Most people seem to think of 'Protestant' as "[anything] not Catholic"; however, that is not the historical reality.

Protestant denominations are those that "came out of" Catholicism. They "protested" Catholicism - from within Catholicism - and, "broke away from" the Catholic Church - taking "bits and pieces" of Catholicism with them into their newly-formed denomination. (Or, they came out of one of the Protestant denominations that came directly out of Catholicism.)

Not all denominations came out of Catholicism.

There is one [modern denomination] that existed from the time of Christ - well before Catholicism was "a 'twinkle' in Constantine's eye" - albeit, not by the same name.

The Church that Christ built was scattered in the first century - but, maintained the Faith. They became known by different names at different times - and, were later persecuted in the most horrible ways by the Catholic Church. Yet, they maintained the Faith - some even to the death - while being tortured by the Catholic Church.

They eventually became known as 'Anabaptists' - which means "re-baptizers" - named by the Catholic Church - because they did not believe in baptizing infants.

Many of these faithful believers were tortured to death because they would not give into the demands of the Catholic Church that they baptize infants.

They kept the Faith unto death.

The 'Ana' was eventually dropped...

A true Baptist (historically, and even today) is not a Protestant - because, they practice a Faith that did not come out of Catholicism.

If you are interested in knowing more about the history of Baptists, read The Trail of Blood By James Milton Carroll.
Interesting comment/perspective..
----
'Anabaptists' are considered as 'Radical Reformation'.
- They were also persecuted by Protestant Church.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I dunno about being a Protestant... as Lanolin said, I ain't protesting nothing. In the southeast of the USA we don't usually hear a lot about people saying they are Protestant. Mostly they call themselves Baptist or Methodist or whatever denomination, or "Non-Denominational" which usually just means unofficial Baptist with a cool website.

I hear it's a lot different in other places. In Ireland it can be a matter of life or death. Sectarian strife is a really big thing there. There are even Catholic and Protestant gangs. Like, literal gangs, organized crime, shootings, the works.
Yes Lynx, you have hit the nail on the head. Most government forms simply lump all denominations that are not Catholic: Protestant. It is important in some places. There were small groups that did not go either way and were persecuted in the Fourth Century.

Either way, I don't mind what I am called. I do have an infant baptismal certificate from the Roman Catholic Church, but my mother did that--not me. That was the only time she took me to church as a child. So I wasn't raised that way. :)(y)

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Yes Lynx, you have hit the nail on the head. Most government forms simply lump all denominations that are not Catholic: Protestant. It is important in some places. There were small groups that did not go either way and were persecuted in the Fourth Century.

Either way, I don't mind what I am called. I do have an infant baptismal certificate from the Roman Catholic Church, but my mother did that--not me. That was the only time she took me to church as a child. So I wasn't raised that way. :)(y)
I'm military, and my dog tags say Christian. My denomination was actually represented....but I didn't think "United Church" was an accurate representation of my faith...and now I no longer attend the United Church, I've changed to a Reformed Church, but either way I still view myself as a struggling Christian....a struggle that becomes deeper and more meaningful with each passing year.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Sits just fine with me. I will protest the errors of the roman catholic church until they repent and teach salvation by grace through faith apart from works.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

M

morefaithrequired

Sits just fine with me. I will protest the errors of the roman catholic church until they repent and teach salvation by grace through faith apart from works.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I wont be repenting anytime soon for that one. Ive got too many other sins to worry about.

M

morefaithrequired

I'm military, and my dog tags say Christian. My denomination was actually represented....but I didn't think "United Church" was an accurate representation of my faith...and now I no longer attend the United Church, I've changed to a Reformed Church, but either way I still view myself as a struggling Christian....a struggle that becomes deeper and more meaningful with each passing year.
Im similar to you. I think we all have to use conscience and discernment. In fear and trembling perhaps.

Feb 28, 2016
fear and trembling should only come into our lives, 'after conversion', when we willingly deny
The Holy Spirits guidance and conviction!!!

Nov 16, 2019
....I'm fascinated with learning more about the first 300 or so years of the Church, before Constantine's supposed conversion and the adoption (and in my view corruption) of the faith by Rome.
Start here:

He has several videos about how different the early church was from what we are today.

Nov 16, 2019
Most people seem to think of 'Protestant' as "[anything] not Catholic"; however, that is not the historical reality.

Protestant denominations are those that "came out of" Catholicism. They "protested" Catholicism - from within Catholicism - and, "broke away from" the Catholic Church - taking "bits and pieces" of Catholicism with them into their newly-formed denomination. (Or, they came out of one of the Protestant denominations that came directly out of Catholicism.)

Not all denominations came out of Catholicism.

There is one [modern denomination] that existed from the time of Christ - well before Catholicism was "a 'twinkle' in Constantine's eye" - albeit, not by the same name.

The Church that Christ built was scattered in the first century - but, maintained the Faith. They became known by different names at different times - and, were later persecuted in the most horrible ways by the Catholic Church. Yet, they maintained the Faith - some even to the death - while being tortured by the Catholic Church.

They eventually became known as 'Anabaptists' - which means "re-baptizers" - named by the Catholic Church - because they did not believe in baptizing infants.

Many of these faithful believers were tortured to death because they would not give into the demands of the Catholic Church that they baptize infants.

They kept the Faith unto death.

The 'Ana' was eventually dropped...

A true Baptist (historically, and even today) is not a Protestant - because, they practice a Faith that did not come out of Catholicism.

If you are interested in knowing more about the history of Baptists, read The Trail of Blood By James Milton Carroll.
Although I'm not Baptist, this is what I was getting at when I posted in the beginning of this thread. I'm not Catholic, but I'm not Protestant either.

There are those of us who reject Catholicism and the Reform movement in general that sprang from it.