How gun crime has almost been eridicated in Japan

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Knives you say? In most of the world, you are NOT allowed to carry a knife in public
in the US, you all want EVERYONE to ALWAYS carry a firearm
.... that includes terrorists you know

ciao
Hey,
You don't like our gun laws? How about you keep your pale tail in northern Europe. Consider yourself persona non grata. There is a reason I have never cared what was going on in Norway. No reason to go there.

P

Persuaded

Is it true that Japan does not issue visas to folks from Chicago?

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Funny, the south American nations are not even mentioned.... you know, the ones with MUCH higher rates of gun violence than the US...

Also, if you take out the 3 or 4 major "urban" areas (which also have the strictest gun control laws) of the US, we would be somewhere down around Sweden's rate of gun murder/crime.

That should tell you something.... but it probably won't.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
You are still ignoring the fact that the nation with the most LIBERAL gun laws have the HIGHEST number of murders
So it does not protect people. It kills them.
Wrong again.

Look at South America... very strict gun laws, VERY high murder rates.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
We could just eradicate people and solve the problem :p
You almost had it correct..... eradicate the CRIMINALS, and you would solve the problem. :D

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Which ignores the fact that the parts of our nation with the most stringent gun laws are usually the most dangerous.

You are still ignoring the fact that the nation with the most LIBERAL gun laws have the HIGHEST number of murders
So it does not protect people. It kills them.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Darn straight. I'm tired of this frick'n nanny-state maternalism from abroad which assumes much and knows very little of substance.

Much of the reason they can sleep warmly in their beds is the technological and economic superpower who employs history's greatest warriors. How are these warriors made? That process starts in the formative years at home with the inculcation of (for most of them) Christian values and a technical familiarity with an array of tools up to and including the gun.

Hey,
You don't like our gun laws? How about you keep your pale tail in northern Europe. Consider yourself persona non grata. There is a reason I have never cared what was going on in Norway. No reason to go there.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Darn straight. I'm tired of this frick'n nanny-state maternalism from abroad which assumes much and knows very little of substance.

Much of the reason they can sleep warmly in their beds is the technological and economic superpower who employs history's greatest warriors. How are these warriors made? That process starts in the formative years at home with the inculcation of (for most of them) Christian values and a technical familiarity with an array of tools up to and including the gun.
Yes... Thomas Jefferson agreed with that sentiment....

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

Jan 12, 2017
I would ask if violent crimes/acts are reported?

Guns are not the only weapon that can be used in the commission of a violent crime/attack.........just saying........

Now, had they ELIMINATED all violent crime/attacks..........THAT WOULD be something!

:)

Does it matter if one is killed by a bullet or by a swift chop to the throat or just under the nose driving the hard cartledge up into the brain? Or being strangled? Or beaten to death with a bamboo sword?
It's a lot easier to defend yourself from a knife attack than from a speeding bullet, hence the lower violence rate in Japan. It's really that simple: it's super easy to kill someone from a distance with a supersonic projectile. Much harder to get three inches away from someone to plunge a knife into them.

Jan 12, 2017
Which also undermines the notion that having guns around somehow increases the suicide rate.
Well no, it doesn't. Having more suicides and less guns, does not mean that more guns wouldn't equal even more suicides. The suicide rate in Japan is so high because they operate in a shame culture. I would imagine that if guns were readily available, their sucide rate would be much higher -- guns are a VERY effective suicide method. I don't think guns CAUSE people to commit suicide any more than I think Nutty Cheerios cause people to commit suicide. They are just very effective when they are used, compared to any other method.

At any rate, as an anti-gun individual, I would never argue that a potential decrease in suicide rates is a good reason to create stricter gun laws. People will kill themselves whether guns are available or not. A far better argument against lax gun laws is that the USA has the highest rate of murder of any developed nation, largely due to the ease of access to guns, weapons which are VERY EFFECTIVE at killing.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
It's a lot easier to defend yourself from a knife attack than from a speeding bullet, hence the lower violence rate in Japan. It's really that simple: it's super easy to kill someone from a distance with a supersonic projectile. Much harder to get three inches away from someone to plunge a knife into them.
Sorry sir,
You have no idea what you are talking about. Research done by the US Army, FBI, and every police defensive tactics instructor in America, has shown an attacker with a knife can close the distance and make a kill faster than a defender with a firearm can draw his weapon and fire.

Using a firearm to attack or defend requires a skill and is not easy at any distance.

Jan 12, 2017
Sorry sir,
You have no idea what you are talking about. Research done by the US Army, FBI, and every police defensive tactics instructor in America, has shown an attacker with a knife can close the distance and make a kill faster than a defender with a firearm can draw his weapon and fire.

Using a firearm to attack or defend requires a skill and is not easy at any distance.
That's great, but it doesn't address what I said. I said, it is easier to defend yourself FROM A KNIFE ATTACK THAN FROM A SPEEDING BULLET. Your reply doesn't address this. I can tell you from simple mathematical law, that if someone is twenty feet from me and I shoot a bullet right at them, they have a very slim chance of escaping the impact and running away. If the same person is twenty feet from me and I run at them with a short melee weapon, their chances of escaping away unharmed are significantly higher. It's simple common sense. It is much harder, dynamically, to kill someone with a melee weapon that it is to kill them with a gun.

Violent crime statistics in all other developed countries clearly show that when guns are widespread, fatalities from violent attacks are more common. Because SPEEDING BULLETS ARE MORE DEADLY THAN KNIVES. Speeding bullets travel faster, further, and cause significant internal damage.

There's a reason for the old saying "never bring a knife to a gunfight".