How long did it take to read the bible? / how did you read it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

ABeliever

How long did it take you to read the bible, and by what method?

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009

all my life, with the holy spirit as my teacher for the last 15 years.

i go where he leads me to read.

Feb 3, 2010
I have read the Bible through several times - the best time was reading whole Books at a time. It just made more sense.

S

Slepsog4

Try reading the Daily Bible. It is in the NIV arranged with readings for every day. But it is also arranged chronologically with occasional background commentary.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I have always seen the bible as a continuos read. Every time I read a book there is so much more to see and understand.
I do try to read a book at a time.Like Aspen said it can make more sence.
But there are times I feel called to let Holy Spirit show me what is important.
God bless, pickles

B

Belgian_Pilot

I use a 'daily guide'. It is a book that gives some verses to read in the Bible (one book at a time), and then it explains and studies those verses. I also read the references to other verses in the Bible, to understand the 'links' between different books. Each sunday, I also add 1 psalm.
After I reach the end of the cycle, I forgot a lot of the first books I read, so I have to start all over again. And like Pickles said, there's always something new to learn and apply to new things you encountered in life.

I do miss a church, with professional people (who studied the Bible) to explain things. That would be a great help too...

Thats my method, I'm sure there are many other better methods :)

May 21, 2009
I just keep reading it. I won't be done until the day I die.

N

nohtsreeyah

I read it one book at a time. I follow a daily devotion so I keep salvation in mind and daily lessons. but then I read one book at a time to see what each one said then I read the Apocryphal books . sit with the holy spirit he will guide you. and your needs in life.

May 25, 2010
I do not beleive i have ever read the Bible cover to cover, and i certainly see no harm in doing it that way; however, if one is seeking to establish (prove) something to be true, then Isaiah 28:9-10

:9 Whom shall HE teach Knowledge? and whom shall HE make to understand Doctrine? them that are weaned from the
milk, and drawn from the breasts.
:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, there a little.

says one must 'cross reference' (here a little, there a little). Even Paul writes that we should study the scriptiures and 'rightly divide it" (II Tim 2:15).
But even so, I have found many 'nuggets' while just reading the Bible without trying to prove anything. Since the Word of God is the Sword of the Spirit
(Eph 6:17), meaning it is the Spirits to yield, and, since God can give you utterance of what to say at any time (Matt 10:19-20), i liken reading the bible, whether to prove something or just to learn more in general, as 'honing' that sword or making it larger because i have ingested more of the Word into my brain for the Spirit to recall. Even further, since faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God (Rom 10:17; this means reading the Word also since it is the Voice of God), then the more one reads, the more one learns, and the greater is one's faith, because true faith in GOD is believing in what HE said, not just that HE IS (James 2:19; Heb 11:6)
So, read away, but study also.

L

lighthousejohn

I see reading the Bible as a daily adventure. I do not read it sytematically, choosing instead to let God direct my read. Sometimes this method leads me to reading the same pasages several times. I realize then that there is something God wants me to learn. When this happens, I then take this section on as a study passage. I record it in my computer and systematically revue it daily seeking new insight into it. I am still working on several passages that I started studying several years ago.

Just last year I challenged my self to read the entire Bible in 90 days. This was not as a study, just a personal challenge. I finished it in 85 days.

In Christ,
John

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
I think, that to understand the bible, you really need to have a read of it. even if you quickly read the books, not really for study but to just get a grasp of what is going on, how God has delt with his people etc. just think, you can read the bigger books in roughly the same time as watching a film, if you skim read. it is all down to your priorities?

Daily devotionals are really good :) I love them. why not try, getting a commentary and going thru a book, and learn whats going on. best advice is to start with one of the smaller books 1 John or something.

Phil

May 18, 2010
It took me 2 days
the First day and first time was in a library, and I spent 7 hours in a row in the library until I decided to leave with it.

I went from Genesis to Mathiew, Marc, Luc and John ... the rest, Ive only glanced at it.

C

charisenexcelcis

It took me 2 days
the First day and first time was in a library, and I spent 7 hours in a row in the library until I decided to leave with it.

I went from Genesis to Mathiew, Marc, Luc and John ... the rest, Ive only glanced at it.
You should finish reading it. Some of the best bits are near the end.