How to know if it is the right time to get baptized

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

christianwoman90

I have been pondering a couple of months ago if it was the right time to get baptized. Secretly as soon as almost making up my mind to baptize , I saw something awful in the news:a girl got killed by the gate of her house . It turned out she was about to baptize in the next day I think. It was enough to put me down a bit(been going through danger lately, going through deut 28 in its essence). I don't even know how I got to know this information, when I usually avoid watching ,reading and listening to the news because of this. I mean I don't remember how I got to know about this news.
What matters is, in between pondering about getting baptized and watching the awful news , I think God spoke to me, advicing me to get baptized?I still don't have a hearing heart that hears enough. But there were "coincidences" like thoughts poping up in my mind such as " yes it would be a good idea to baptize" (not a voice though). And then I started searching and found the right texts containing exactly what I needed to know.
However, I am currently not congregating in no church, but if I did I wish to get baptized in nature. Well it doesn't matter as long as it is a real baptism, and it happens according to God's purpose.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
You should be baptized at the same time you accept Jesus as your savior. You show the world you have accepted the free gift of salvation, and that you are burying the "old you" and are being resurrected as the "new you", just as Jesus was buried and resurrected.

Read the scriptural references to baptism... they all happened as soon as physically possible after being convinced and saved. I personally believe they all go together, and scripture backs that up.

It's a blessed thing to do, and it is obeying God's word...

T

Tinuviel

If you are a Christian and have not been baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, you should be baptized. Why wait?

Acts 10: 47
Then Peter said, “Surely no one can stand in the way of their [the Gentiles that had just received the Spirit] being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

U

Ugly

Baptism has no real change or affect on a human, so there is no reason to put it off. It is A) symbolic of your rebirth and B) a public showing of your dedication to Christ. So unless you are not ready to make a public statement about your faith, then you don't need to hear anything, just do it.

Also don't try to listen so hard, otherwise you just end up confused thinking there answers in everything, particularly when there are none. This leads to you being easily deceived. The best thing to do is to be willing to be open to God's guidance, which may not always be a direct answer. Sometimes God moves you and you don't even know it's Him till afterwards.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I have been pondering a couple of months ago if it was the right time to get baptized. Secretly as soon as almost making up my mind to baptize , I saw something awful in the news:a girl got killed by the gate of her house . It turned out she was about to baptize in the next day I think. It was enough to put me down a bit(been going through danger lately, going through deut 28 in its essence). I don't even know how I got to know this information, when I usually avoid watching ,reading and listening to the news because of this. I mean I don't remember how I got to know about this news.
What matters is, in between pondering about getting baptized and watching the awful news , I think God spoke to me, advicing me to get baptized?I still don't have a hearing heart that hears enough. But there were "coincidences" like thoughts poping up in my mind such as " yes it would be a good idea to baptize" (not a voice though). And then I started searching and found the right texts containing exactly what I needed to know.
However, I am currently not congregating in no church, but if I did I wish to get baptized in nature. Well it doesn't matter as long as it is a real baptism, and it happens according to God's purpose.
There was aman lived down in the Bayou. One day they forecast a hurricane and decided to evacuatedthe town. A bus pulls up in front of the man's house and they yell "get inthere's a hurricane comin' and we're leaving town!" The man waves them on,saying “go ahead God will save me”. So the storm surge hits and he's up to hisknees in water and a boat comes by, again "get in we're leaving!" Andagain the man says go ahead, God will save me. So now the hurricane's hittingtown and the man's up on his roof to avoid the flood and a helicopter comesover and says "last chance, grab the hoist let's go!". But again theman waves them on. "God will save me". Then the storm hits, the manis blown from his roof and he drowns.

Standingbefore God the man asks, "why didn't you save me?"

To which Godanswers, "I sent you a bus, a boat, and a helicopter, what more was Isupposed to do?"

Oct 19, 2016
Hi there. I’m so sorry to hear about your experience, and I appreciate your willingness to get baptized. Baptism is an outward expression of inward change. You’re letting the world know that you have accepted Christ as your Savior and have made a commitment to follow Him. Please know that life and death are in God’s hands. You don’t need to be afraid of any harm or evil. Go ahead and be baptized. Sending hugs & prayers your way!

Y

Yahweh_is_gracious

Interesting thread. Good, clear, concise answers. Much appreciated. I have some thinking to do about why I have and continue to put off baptism.

Yeraza_Bats

Dec 11, 2014
It hurts me to hear that is your experience
I think he just means that as it being a physical representation, and that it is the act of coming to Christ, and not the being dunked in water, that is life changing and important.

Anywho, I was baptized at the first opportunity I had to be : p And it wasnt until like...I think 2 years after coming to Christ. No one had offered to baptize me, so it never happened. It wasnt until a friend texted me telling me we had the chance through this church he was visiting that I went with him and did it.

I believe that it is important to be baptized, as its a sign to those around you that youve accepted Christ too, but I dont believe theres a consequence for not yet being baptized. Maybe for refusing, as the Lord tells us that he who denies Him in front of others will be denied by Him. But as for just not yet having it done, I dont think its wrong.

Id say that if youve truly accepted Jesus in your heart, and acknowledge Him as Lord and Savior, go ahead and do it : p Theres no great preparation that you need to achieve in order to do it or anything like that : p Just that you accept Him.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
You really don't need to fear something bad is going to happen to you just because you want to get baptized. The thing you heard about on the news was something that happened by chance nothing more. So don't be afraid to get baptized. If you have received Jesus as Lord and Savior and have trusted in the finished work on the cross and his resurrection, then by all means, get baptized!

M

Miri

Getting baptised was one of the most scary (I couldn't swim and was
terrified of drowning) and amazing utterly wonderful (I was walking
on cloud 9 for weeks after I couldn't stop smiling) times of my life. :)

You are feeling the urge to get baptised, it's an itch that won't go away.
Go for it.

Y

Yahweh_is_gracious

Not to intentionally derail, but I wanted to ask a question. Is it normal for a church to expect a person to become a member of their congregation after baptism - as though they go hand in hand? What I mean is, for each of the churches I have asked around my area about baptism, each has said they would expect me to be a member of their church. I'm not to the point of saying "Hi my name is Jon and I'm a [Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Evangelical, etc.]". Does nobody just do baptism and not as a means of getting a new butt in the seat for potential tithes?

M

Miri

I've never heard of membership and baptism going together like that.
To say you can't be baptised because you are not an official church
member is absurd.

On the other hand I know of people who are official church members who aren't
baptised.

The way it works in my church is that unless you are involved
in certain ministries there is no requirement to be an official church member.

Those ministries include the worship team, any of the children's work
and a couple of others. For us church membership means to put yourself
under the authority and accountability of the church. It has no relevance
at all to baptism which is a matter for each individual in their walk with Christ.

If church won't baptise you because you are not an official church member,
then I would say leave them to their made man rules and find somewhere else.
They are hindering people not helping them.

On the other hand if they won't baptise you because they don't know much
about you and they don't know if you are a Christian, then that would be
a different matter. But that can be overcome just by attending the church
but not becoming a member.

C

christianwoman90

Hello all, thank you all for posting in this thread and for answering with sincerity. I see that the majority of posts all agree in the same which is to baptize as soon as possible. However I do not congregate in any church.
I haven't found a church where I belong. I admit Whenever I find this church I will get baptized as soon as it can be scheduled by the church leaders.

Last edited by a moderator:

WineRose

Jan 3, 2017
Row A, Column 9
Me and my parents plan to get me baptized in the summer after my IGCSEs, but they said that I could do that earlier if I wanted to. Take your time :)

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Hello all, thank you all for posting in this thread and for answering with sincerity. I see that the majority of posts all agree in the same which is to baptize as soon as possible. However I do not congregate in any church.
I haven't found a church where I belong. I admit Whenever I find this church I will get baptized as soon as it can be scheduled by the church leaders.
Baptism is not something that has to be done by someone "official"... Do you have any Christian friends? If so, ask one of them if they would baptize you. It would be a very wonderful thing to have you and all your Christian brothers and sisters present for your baptism.

We've had at least two, perhaps three (can't remember for sure) baptisms in our swimming pool. These were guys in our "college age" class at church. I was helping teach the class, and the guys wanted to be baptized (separate occasions)... so they came to our pool.

It's a blessed thing to watch... about 7 or 8 guys getting in the water, and surrounding their friend as he was baptized.

M

Miri

Failing that, a safe river!

Y

Yahweh_is_gracious

I've never heard of membership and baptism going together like that.
To say you can't be baptised because you are not an official church
member is absurd.

On the other hand I know of people who are official church members who aren't
baptised.

The way it works in my church is that unless you are involved
in certain ministries there is no requirement to be an official church member.

Those ministries include the worship team, any of the children's work
and a couple of others. For us church membership means to put yourself
under the authority and accountability of the church. It has no relevance
at all to baptism which is a matter for each individual in their walk with Christ.

If church won't baptise you because you are not an official church member,
then I would say leave them to their made man rules and find somewhere else.
They are hindering people not helping them.

On the other hand if they won't baptise you because they don't know much
about you and they don't know if you are a Christian, then that would be
a different matter. But that can be overcome just by attending the church
but not becoming a member.
I can only tell you what I've been told by the pastors I have asked about baptism. It's an odd situation. I'd like to be baptized someday, but I'm not going to hang my hat at a particular building and claim some denominational title in order to do so.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
If you are saved and have a good understanding of the bible, then why not?