Hurricane Irma

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

prove-all

May 16, 2014
And btw, God nowhere mandated incarceration.
not to change the op but , Do you know Jesus even favored the death penalty ?

The Old Testament of the Bible speaks with perfect plainness on the issue of capital punishment:
“He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death” (Exodus 21:12).

Genesis 9:6 and Leviticus 24:17 also give full authority to those sitting in judgment to execute a
murderer. Deuteronomy 19:11-13 commands unsparing punishment for such a killer: “…deliver him
into the hand of the AVENGER OF BLOOD, that he may die. Thine eye SHALL NOT PITY HIM,
but thou shalt PUT AWAY THE GUILT of innocent blood from Israel, that it may go well with thee.”

Strong words, those. The God of the Old Testament clearly favored the death penalty.
The scriptures show that Jesus Christ was the God of the Old Testament.
In the New Testament book of Romans, God REAFFIRMS that authority:

“Let every soul be subject unto the governing authorities. For there is no authority except
from God, and the authorities that exist [speaking of man’s governments and courts] are
appointed by God.… For he [a government or court official] is God’s minister [“servant”
or “magistrate” in some translations] to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he
does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an AVENGER TO EXECUTE
WRATH on him who practices evil” (Romans 13:1-4; New King James Version).

The God of love tells us in such scriptures as Hebrews 12:5-6 that for our own good those who
commit wrong must be corrected. Correction is the God-given means to prevent crime and other
problems. Using strong correction FORCES CHANGE in criminals convicted of lesser offenses
and eliminates entirely the threat of those convicted of violent crimes such as murder.

“Punishment, when meted out in the proper manner, and at the proper time, is one of the
greatest blessings a human being—at any age—can receive!” The reason is that if we do
not receive correction, we will proceed on a course to our own destruction (Proverbs 14:12).

Through correction, God can steer us in the path toward a happy, fulfilled life.

Many people reject God’s clear commandments involving implementation of the death penalty.
And though the death penalty was reinstated by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1976, Americans have
demenstrated a fear to sternly correct evildoers, and are vacillating in their determination to use
the God-given option of executing people for horrible wrongs.

As the late FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover once stated about our modern permissive society,
we have “substituted INDULGENCE for discipline.” The result is that our prisons are full
to overflowing and our society is inundated in violent crime.

Discipline Promptly

In Proverbs 19:18, God gives us the principle that applies to disobedient children, juvenile delinquents
or hardened criminals. We are told, “Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for
his crying” (Proverbs 19:18). There comes a point for an undisciplined child when there is no (or very
little) hope of correcting bad behavior. Often, a delinquent—and finally a hardened criminal—will result
because the parents were too soft during their child’s early years, when they had the greatest hope of
curbing the child’s self-centered and destructive ways.

As parents and as a society, we are not to “spare for his crying” by lessening the punishment. Proverbs
13:24 admonishes us, “He who spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him DISCIPLINES HIM
PROMPTLY” (NKJV). For the good of society and the individual, swift, stern justice must be meted
out when wrongs are brought to light.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 tells us the importance of swift punishment when it says, “Because sentence against
an evil work is not EXECUTED SPEEDILY, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them
to DO EVIL.” How clear and wise! When wrongdoing is not immediately punished, then all or almost
all of the deterrent value to any subsequent punishment is lost!

As for determining a person’s guilt, there is only one biblical rule: “Whoever kills a person, the
murderer shall be put to death on the testimony of witnesses; but one witness is not sufficient
testimony against a person for the death penalty” (Numbers 35:30). Deuteronomy 17:6 agrees:
“Whoever is worthy of death shall be put to death on the testimony of two or three witnesses,
but he shall not be put to death on the testimony of one witness” .

In God’s eyes, repeated reprieves and appeals—and now, insistence upon DNA testing to
verify guilt—should not be necessary for death-row inmates.

Ezra 7:26 guides us toward speedy response to crime by stating, “And whosoever will not do the
law of thy God, and the law of the king, let judgment be executed speedily upon him, whether it be
unto death, or to banishment, or to confiscation of goods, or to imprisonment.”

The criminal mind does not respect authority. The only thing such a person respects is equal or
stronger FORCE! And when that strong force is used immediately to severely punish an offender,
it makes others of like mind think twice before acting likewise.

However, once again, the liberal element in our society says there is little deterrent value in
punishments such as the death penalty. They have a point—but only because of how hesitant
our courts are to use the death penalty!

The Deterrence Factor

No sane man or woman wants to put another person to death. It is understandable to have
a certain degree of pity for someone who is going to die, even if he or she deserves to die.

People who commit crimes are promised a fair trial—NOT a perfect trial. Yet so many of the
habeas corpus appeals (many of which amount to little more than stalling tactics) are procedural
and/or frivolous in nature, nit-picking the court over minor imperfections in court procedure.

Flawed humans will make mistakes. But that must not stop us from following God’s plain commands!
A swift death penalty was intended by our Creator to deter or restrain additional people from com-
mitting the sin of murder. To stop or delay the death penalty because the courts are afraid of making
a mistake is direct disobedience to God and His laws!

Many a career criminal has already proven he cannot “make it” in normal society; and if he murders,
rapes, robs and commits general mayhem, SO WHAT? He knows he’ll be provided food and shelter
for the rest of his life so that he never has to work again!

Why should he fear to kill? Even though he probably murdered unmercifully, the “merciful” liberals
will see to it that HIS life is spared so that the taxpayers can support him for the next 20, 40 or 60
years in a prison environment where he is “somebody”—a “man among men” so to speak!

We must not get softer on crime, we must get tougher!

The book of Proverbs states, “When the scorner is punished, the simple is made wise,”
and “Smite a scorner, and the simple will beware” (Proverbs 21:11; 19:25). People can
learn vicariously from the experiences of others!

The deterrent effect of the death penalty is muted because of current practices. But even
basic understanding of human nature tells us that, if administered properly, the death penalty
would have a significant deterrent effect!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

We just had a discussion in the chat room about no one knows the path the hurricane will take, but someone quoted the song, "Turn, Turn, Turn," which reminded me of "Turnagain Pass" here in Alaska, and I felt it was a sign from God that the hurricane will turn in reference to Psalm 80 where it says three times to "turn again from our sins". But, it's not my position to predict where, unless it is revealed.
I'm just believing that it will turn;
My hope and prayer is that it will turn out to sea...

--Herald
The problem is that it will turn north from its current NW track. The best thing for Florida is for this thing to keep moving west until it's well clear of the state when it does turn north.

prove-all

May 16, 2014
We no longer live in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah.
not sure where God said he is "not" going to punish mankind for there evil ways

18And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead,
that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants
the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great;

and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

17And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men,
because they have sinned against the Lord: and their blood shall be poured
out as dust, and their flesh as the dung.

4And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people,
that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

12 But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.

S

Sillychick723

Water also seems to be an issue here in the panhandle.

We keep 25 empty gallon milk jugs in our disaster kit. About 24 hours before a storm we fill them. Also we also have a couple of water barrels (cleaned and sanitized plastic drums) that we fill, along with our bath tubs.
I can't wait until this is all over. I'm gonna do the same thing you did next time around.

I'll be keeping you and your family in prayer. May God's protection be upon you.

S

Sillychick723

I lived in Apopka for years which is about 10 miles NW of Orlando. I know Kissimmee very well. Currently I live in Clearwater which is next to Tampa and St. Petersburg. I figure that we will lose power between 3 - 5 pm tomorrow. Yeah, no bread or water here either. Fortunately my gas tank is full but I really have no where to go. It would be a nightmare just to try to stay with my family in Apopka and even there the hurricane is predicated to be a Cat 3. I have a radio but no batteries. Yeah, those went fast. I should have been more prepared but having lived in Florida for 24 years you can get a little lax about basic survival necessities as most hurricanes curve north before reaching Florida or head out over the gulf. I have enough toilet paper but flushing will be problematic if the water gets shut off.
When hurricane Charley hit years ago we had water but we were without power for 2 weeks. My mom's house had no power and no water for over a month. I'm tired of hurricanes. As soon as I get the chance I'm moving. After I sell my house of course. Assuming I still have one after this storm.

I'm praying for you and JL. May the Lord's protective hand be upon you.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I lived in Apopka for years which is about 10 miles NW of Orlando. I know Kissimmee very well. Currently I live in Clearwater which is next to Tampa and St. Petersburg. I figure that we will lose power between 3 - 5 pm tomorrow. Yeah, no bread or water here either. Fortunately my gas tank is full but I really have no where to go. It would be a nightmare just to try to stay with my family in Apopka and even there the hurricane is predicated to be a Cat 3. I have a radio but no batteries. Yeah, those went fast. I should have been more prepared but having lived in Florida for 24 years you can get a little lax about basic survival necessities as most hurricanes curve north before reaching Florida or head out over the gulf. I have enough toilet paper but flushing will be problematic if the water gets shut off.
Can you fill your bathtub? And I would buy cheap dollar store buckets, whatever you can find to fill.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
not sure where God said he is "not" going to punish mankind for there evil ways

18And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead,
that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants
the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great;

and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

17And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men,
because they have sinned against the Lord: and their blood shall be poured
out as dust, and their flesh as the dung.

4And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people,
that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

12 But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.
This isn't from God. He protects us. Its a satanic thing to destroy America.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
The problem is that it will turn north from its current NW track. The best thing for Florida is for this thing to keep moving west until it's well clear of the state when it does turn north.
Last report I heard was it's going to make landfall in Tampa. Stay put and hole up. Is what Rubio says.

May 18, 2010
It rains on the just and unjust alike, remember the book of Job? God didn't allow those things because he was wicked or as a judgment. A lot of wicked people survived Harvey so you can rule that theory out.

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
This isn't from God. He protects us. Its a satanic thing to destroy America.
I agree-- God has always protected America, the "land of the free, and home of the brave," and "One Nation Under God."

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
Can you fill your bathtub? And I would buy cheap dollar store buckets, whatever you can find to fill.
They said the storm-surge could reach 10 miles inland of the West Coast of Florida

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
When hurricane Charley hit years ago we had water but we were without power for 2 weeks. My mom's house had no power and no water for over a month. I'm tired of hurricanes. As soon as I get the chance I'm moving. After I sell my house of course. Assuming I still have one after this storm.

I'm praying for you and JL. May the Lord's protective hand be upon you.
Why not just build a cement block storm shelter? with a generator...etc...

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
So far, the massive storm has done as we predicted in the chat room last night-- Someone brought up the quote in the Bible:

(From the Biblegateway (dot) com website)

[FONT=&quot][h=1]Ecclesiastes 3:1-8King James Version (KJV)[/h][FONT=&quot]3 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]King James Version (KJV)Public Domain

This reminded us of the 1965 song: "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the Byrds--
From the website: (not sure if links are allowed here)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4

Lyrics
To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven
A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep
A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together
A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing
A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]Songwriters: George Aber Adaptation And / Pete Seeger / Words From The Book Of

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]Turn! Turn! Turn! lyrics © T.R.O. Inc.[/COLOR]

Artist: The Byrds

Album: Turn! Turn! Turn!

Released: 1965

Awards: Grammy Hall of Fame

Genres: Folk-rock, Rock
And this reminded me of the beautiful "Turnagain Pass" here in the mountains, named after the British Captain Cook, who almost lost his ship in the treacherous waters of "Cook Inlet."
I have to drive through Turnagain Pass to get home soon.
It has reminded me recently of Psalm 80:

From the Biblegateway.com website:
3-[FONT=&quot]Turn us again, O God, and cause thy face to shine; and we shall be saved."

[FONT=&quot]7-Turn us again, O God of hosts, and cause thy face to shine; and we shall be saved."
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Let thy hand be upon the man of thy right hand, upon the son of man whom thou madest strong for thyself.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18 So will not we go back from thee: quicken us, and we will call upon thy name.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]19 Turn us again, O Lord God of hosts, cause thy face to shine; and we shall be saved.

Because of this Psalm, and the pattern of this hurricane, and a consensus in the Christian chat room, I believe this storm will "turn-again," to remind us all to turn from our sins, and prepare for the return of Jesus!
But, it's not to remind us to sin again and again,
just always turn to the LORD-- again and again, if necessary, never giving up on God's Mercy.
The storm turned to the right, or Northeast, as it headed for Florida for a direct hit. But, it turned again to the WNWest, and now is expected to turn again towards the North, or Northeast a bit, and then possibly towards the Eastern Gulf coast, or possibly another direction--

--Herald[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
not to change the op but , Do you know Jesus even favored the death penalty ?

The Old Testament of the Bible speaks with perfect plainness on the issue of capital punishment:
“He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death” (Exodus 21:12).

Genesis 9:6 and Leviticus 24:17 also give full authority to those sitting in judgment to execute a
murderer. Deuteronomy 19:11-13 commands unsparing punishment for such a killer: “…deliver him
into the hand of the AVENGER OF BLOOD, that he may die. Thine eye SHALL NOT PITY HIM,
but thou shalt PUT AWAY THE GUILT of innocent blood from Israel, that it may go well with thee.”

Strong words, those. The God of the Old Testament clearly favored the death penalty.
The scriptures show that Jesus Christ was the God of the Old Testament.
In the New Testament book of Romans, God REAFFIRMS that authority:

“Let every soul be subject unto the governing authorities. For there is no authority except
from God, and the authorities that exist [speaking of man’s governments and courts] are
appointed by God.… For he [a government or court official] is God’s minister [“servant”
or “magistrate” in some translations] to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he
does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an AVENGER TO EXECUTE
WRATH on him who practices evil” (Romans 13:1-4; New King James Version).

The God of love tells us in such scriptures as Hebrews 12:5-6 that for our own good those who
commit wrong must be corrected. Correction is the God-given means to prevent crime and other
problems. Using strong correction FORCES CHANGE in criminals convicted of lesser offenses
and eliminates entirely the threat of those convicted of violent crimes such as murder.

“Punishment, when meted out in the proper manner, and at the proper time, is one of the
greatest blessings a human being—at any age—can receive!” The reason is that if we do
not receive correction, we will proceed on a course to our own destruction (Proverbs 14:12).

Through correction, God can steer us in the path toward a happy, fulfilled life.

Many people reject God’s clear commandments involving implementation of the death penalty.
And though the death penalty was reinstated by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1976, Americans have
demenstrated a fear to sternly correct evildoers, and are vacillating in their determination to use
the God-given option of executing people for horrible wrongs.

As the late FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover once stated about our modern permissive society,
we have “substituted INDULGENCE for discipline.” The result is that our prisons are full
to overflowing and our society is inundated in violent crime.

Discipline Promptly

In Proverbs 19:18, God gives us the principle that applies to disobedient children, juvenile delinquents
or hardened criminals. We are told, “Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for
his crying” (Proverbs 19:18). There comes a point for an undisciplined child when there is no (or very
little) hope of correcting bad behavior. Often, a delinquent—and finally a hardened criminal—will result
because the parents were too soft during their child’s early years, when they had the greatest hope of
curbing the child’s self-centered and destructive ways.

As parents and as a society, we are not to “spare for his crying” by lessening the punishment. Proverbs
13:24 admonishes us, “He who spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him DISCIPLINES HIM
PROMPTLY” (NKJV). For the good of society and the individual, swift, stern justice must be meted
out when wrongs are brought to light.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 tells us the importance of swift punishment when it says, “Because sentence against
an evil work is not EXECUTED SPEEDILY, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them
to DO EVIL.” How clear and wise! When wrongdoing is not immediately punished, then all or almost
all of the deterrent value to any subsequent punishment is lost!

As for determining a person’s guilt, there is only one biblical rule: “Whoever kills a person, the
murderer shall be put to death on the testimony of witnesses; but one witness is not sufficient
testimony against a person for the death penalty” (Numbers 35:30). Deuteronomy 17:6 agrees:
“Whoever is worthy of death shall be put to death on the testimony of two or three witnesses,
but he shall not be put to death on the testimony of one witness” .

In God’s eyes, repeated reprieves and appeals—and now, insistence upon DNA testing to
verify guilt—should not be necessary for death-row inmates.

Ezra 7:26 guides us toward speedy response to crime by stating, “And whosoever will not do the
law of thy God, and the law of the king, let judgment be executed speedily upon him, whether it be
unto death, or to banishment, or to confiscation of goods, or to imprisonment.”

The criminal mind does not respect authority. The only thing such a person respects is equal or
stronger FORCE! And when that strong force is used immediately to severely punish an offender,
it makes others of like mind think twice before acting likewise.

However, once again, the liberal element in our society says there is little deterrent value in
punishments such as the death penalty. They have a point—but only because of how hesitant
our courts are to use the death penalty!

The Deterrence Factor

No sane man or woman wants to put another person to death. It is understandable to have
a certain degree of pity for someone who is going to die, even if he or she deserves to die.

People who commit crimes are promised a fair trial—NOT a perfect trial. Yet so many of the
habeas corpus appeals (many of which amount to little more than stalling tactics) are procedural
and/or frivolous in nature, nit-picking the court over minor imperfections in court procedure.

Flawed humans will make mistakes. But that must not stop us from following God’s plain commands!
A swift death penalty was intended by our Creator to deter or restrain additional people from com-
mitting the sin of murder. To stop or delay the death penalty because the courts are afraid of making
a mistake is direct disobedience to God and His laws!

Many a career criminal has already proven he cannot “make it” in normal society; and if he murders,
rapes, robs and commits general mayhem, SO WHAT? He knows he’ll be provided food and shelter
for the rest of his life so that he never has to work again!

Why should he fear to kill? Even though he probably murdered unmercifully, the “merciful” liberals
will see to it that HIS life is spared so that the taxpayers can support him for the next 20, 40 or 60
years in a prison environment where he is “somebody”—a “man among men” so to speak!

We must not get softer on crime, we must get tougher!

The book of Proverbs states, “When the scorner is punished, the simple is made wise,”
and “Smite a scorner, and the simple will beware” (Proverbs 21:11; 19:25). People can
learn vicariously from the experiences of others!

The deterrent effect of the death penalty is muted because of current practices. But even
basic understanding of human nature tells us that, if administered properly, the death penalty
would have a significant deterrent effect!
Thank-you for your thoughtful and helpful and powerful statements here backed up by the Bible--
But, I only might support the death penalty when someone willingly, knowingly, and deliberately targets law-enforcement,and it is documented on video, or other severe crimes where there is no reasonable doubt as to the offender--

Last edited:

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
I still believe it will miss--
As for America, America can never be defeated by anyone; or any storm; or any deranged fanatics.
Freedom is within...
IT DID MISS-- Not a direct hit...
but still dangerous--

HeraldtheNews

Apr 26, 2012
Lifting everyone who is in the path of hurricane Irma up to the Lord in prayer.

As residents continue to evacuate Irma’s landfall this weekend, the founding meteorologist of AccuWeather says this "catastrophic weather event" in the U.S. is inevitable and described Irma as the "worst single hurricane to hit Florida since Hurricane Andrew in 1992." :eek:

Awesome!! Never seen anything like it-- very nicely done! Though a deadly subject--

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
Its strange that'Gods judgement'on sinners seems in the main to be aimed at poor countries and societies.

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
No wonder you worry. Given that Great Britain's are leaving the Church in droves according to the Reports I read here. Considering the numerous deadly terrorists attacks there, I have to wonder why?
It depends on which reports you are reading and which churches they refer to. As for numerous terrorist attacks they have been happening all around Europe. There are many other reasons to consider before thinking about levels of church attendance.

wolfwint

Feb 15, 2014
I agree-- God has always protected America, the "land of the free, and home of the brave," and "One Nation Under God."
Sorry for intervent here. The only nation on earth I know protected from God is Israel! God is useing the USA for that. Neither Germany nor the USA is the middlepoint of this earth. It is Israel!