I don't understand "sanctification," how do I live for God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 3, 2016
Most born-again Christians do not know how to live for God. They are a defeated Christian living in the "Law of the Sin and Death (Rom. 8:2)." They believe in laboring for reward and do not understand Faith and Grace. My question is, how does a Child of God live for God after salvation?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
Most born-again Christians do not know how to live for God. They are a defeated Christian living in the "Law of the Sin and Death (Rom. 8:2)." They believe in laboring for reward and do not understand Faith and Grace. My question is, how does a Child of God live for God after salvation?
Matthew 28:17-20
King James Version(KJV)

17.) And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

18.) And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19.) Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20.)Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

J

joefizz

Let the holy spirit guide you and strive to do right though sin is always available.

J

joefizz

​How does a Christian receive the help of the Holy Spirit after salvation?
The Holy spirit is received after accepting Jesus humbly and sincerely as Lord and Saviour and the Holy spirit is "self evident" for "inevitably" one changes gradually after receiving the Holy spirit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2016
The Holy spirit is received after accepting Jesus humbly and sincerely as Lord and Saviour and the Holy spirit is "self evident" for "inevitably" one changes gradually after receiving the Holy spirit.
Does the Holy Spirit work automatically in a Christians life after I am born-again?

J

joefizz

Does the Holy Spirit work automatically in a Christians life after I am born-again?
hmmm well I don't quite like the term "automatically" but the Holy Spirit is "heavily influential" and can "work best" in us in two ways...
1.When we want to serve God/Jesus and speak truth for him and learn his word.
2.We don't seek selfish desires over God's desires.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
My question is, how does a Child of God live for God after salvation?
The apostle Peter has already outlined this for Christians.

13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;

As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy... [HOLINESS = SANCTIFICATION]

According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. [CHARITY = AGAPE LOVE]

For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Pet 1:13-15; 2 Pet 1:3-8)

D

Depleted

There is no "after salvation"?

Dec 9, 2011
​How does a Christian receive the help of the Holy Spirit after salvation?
After salvation help from the HOLY SPIRIT for conditional sanctification comes the same way that you received salvation.Grace through faith believe and receive.GOD's promises In JESUS name are yes and amen.

Remember when Paul wrote by the mercy of GOD present your body a living sacrifice proving the good and acceptable and perfect will of GOD.

Also remember when Peter got out of the boat and walked on water towards JESUS and then he saw the winds acting up and he started to sink and JESUS asked him,where did you doubt.
+++
Example
The WORD of GOD said that you can have It but you can't physically see the WORD and then there Is a lion there and you can physically see the lion and every time you start to move toward yes and amen the lion roars,will you believe or doubt?

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God
dwell in you.
Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is
life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you,
he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies
by his Spirit that dwells in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify
the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received
the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
Romans 8:

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord:
walk as children of light:
9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
Ephesians 5:

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
Galatians 5:

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you,
and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom
and spiritual understanding;
10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every
good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and
longsuffering with joyfulness;
12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the
inheritance of the saints in light:
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the
kingdom of his dear Son:
14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Colossians 1:

Sep 3, 2016
After salvation help from the HOLY SPIRIT for conditional sanctification comes the same way that you received salvation.Grace through faith believe and receive.GOD's promises In JESUS name are yes and amen.

Remember when Paul wrote by the mercy of GOD present your body a living sacrifice proving the good and acceptable and perfect will of GOD.

Also remember when Peter got out of the boat and walked on water towards JESUS and then he saw the winds acting up and he started to sink and JESUS asked him,where did you doubt.
+++
Example
The WORD of GOD said that you can have It but you can't physically see the WORD and then there Is a lion there and you can physically see the lion and every time you start to move toward yes and amen the lion roars,will you believe or doubt?
Faith in Who? And Faith in What?

A

Ariel82

have to run off but wanted to post a response quickly, will discuss later if needed.

Our Wesleyan Heritage – The United Methodist Church

"
Sanctifying Grace

Salvation is not a static, one-time event in our lives. It is the ongoing experience of God’s gracious presence transforming us into whom God intends us to be. John Wesley described this dimension of God’s grace as sanctification, or holiness.[SUP]1
[/SUP]

Through God’s sanctifying grace, we grow and mature in our ability to live as Jesus lived. As we pray, study the Scriptures, fast, worship, and share in fellowship with other Christians, we deepen our knowledge of and love for God. As we respond with compassion to human need and work for justice in our communities, we strengthen our capacity to love neighbor. Our inner thoughts and motives, as well as our outer actions and behavior, are aligned with God’s will and testify to our union with God. [SUP]1
[/SUP]

We’re to press on, with God’s help, in the path of sanctification toward perfection. By perfection, Wesley did not mean that we would not make mistakes or have weaknesses. Rather, he understood it to be a continual process of being made perfect in our love of God and each other and of removing our desire to sin.[SUP]3?[/SUP]