If eve sinned first why did sin enter through Adam?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Servantofiam

The bible clearly states that eve sinned first, why then does Paul say sin entered the world through Adam?

M

mercer

Adam represented the Head of mankind, Eve was adam's responsibililty, it was his fault, he was in charge and was suppose to be the head of the House hold. He acted in Sin also they both ate of the fruit. Hey tell me this what sin do you think they acted on?

A

alderney

Eve's sin may have been in ignorance, whereas Adam's was wilfull disobedience

S

Servantofiam

My thoughts are that Eve disobeyed Adam but Adam directly disobeyed God. I looked and found that The command not to eat of the fruit was giving to Adam. Adam then relayed that information to Eve (maybe). It makes sense that Eve didn't hear the command from God because she would have replied yes, God did tell us not to eat of it. But if Gods command was given to her by Adam then she could have doubted and been easier decieved. But Adam received the command directly, he willing disobeyed God in favor of the woman. Plus, Adam was made for God, Eve was made for Adam. This is just an opinion and I'm not sure if it's even right to presume as much as I have, but it does make some sense without straying too far from scripture. What do you think?

S

Servantofiam

Adam represented the Head of mankind, Eve was adam's responsibililty, it was his fault, he was in charge and was suppose to be the head of the House hold. He acted in Sin also they both ate of the fruit. Hey tell me this what sin do you think they acted on?
Disobedience. But I think you're asking what specific sin in a physical sense right? I'm not sure. Your thoughts? Hey I got a question? If the fruit was the knowledge of good and evil did Adam know good before? I know he was good but did he know, you know the way they say you can't know happiness unless you know sadness as a comparison. Is the knowledge of good and evil the beginning of free will?

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Eve definatly sinned first, yet Adam is the head. so it is through Adam.

A couple of things to note here for us men.

Adam was silent as Eve was being tempted/sin. He did not stop her he let her carry on then totally and wilfully disobeyed God by doing the same himself. ao the thing that we should learn from this is that we are the head, do you look after your wifes Spiritual welfare, or do you just stand back say nothing and join in? How many men, just say nothing when a crisis hits the home?

sorry about that I was just writing out my thoughts on the Adam and Eve sinning, but I think it is a valid point for us men?

In Love

Phil

Jan 8, 2009
Eve and Adam had a child, both had sinned. Their children were born into sin. Traditionally, as head of the household and authority over the wife, t is always the male ancestral line that matters, and the one that takes the blame. Also considering that Eve was created from Adam's rib, so if Eve sinned, it was as if Adam's rib had sinned, and Adam himself.

C

charisenexcelcis

The language of the passage also indicates that Adam was present at the conversation between woman and the Snake. Man and woman were one in will and purpose. Adam is the word for man in Hebrew and Eve did not have a name before the fall, she was out-of-man. They did all things together. Adam did not step in to intervene even though he was given dominion over the animals. Lots of good stuff there. The basic reason, I agree, its that man was the spiritual head and representative of mankind. There are some that even argue that Adam and Eve were not the only humans created based upon the chapter one, chapter two repetition of the creation of man.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
As I understood the reason sin is through Adam was because Eve was decieved, Adam knew he was doing wrong. Although I find all of your posts very informative.
My question still is was the act the sin? Or was the conviction of sin by the knowladge of it?
If untill after they ate the fruit they had no knowladge of sin, then it makes me consider that the knowladge and the conviction, is the true sin.
With the writings in the OT when given the law, and in the NT about conviction of sin by Paul, one has to wonder.
Since satan is the accuser of sin, I often wonder if sin would exist at all if satan did not exist.
As to Adam and Eve, it apears as though sin is a choice.
Anyway, I enjoy your posts, although we have many thoughts on all of this, for me the most inportant belief to keep, is that the sin of man started with Adam and Eve, and that Jesus saved us from sin and death by his sacrifice.
God bless, pickles

M

myeyesopened

This is a very good question. The answer lies in the fact that Eve’s sin is different from Adam’s sin. Eve’s sin was done in ignorance; she was beguiled or deceived by Satan, whereas Adam was not deceived and he knowingly and willingly disobeyed God (1Tim 2:14). Adam’s presumptuous sin was one that carried the penalty of death. Although Eve’s sin did not carry the penalty of death, she was also in the transgression and guilty. However, there was a remedy for her sin and this was utilized when God killed some animals and covered them with their skins(animal sacrifice). This was a shadow of the law of the offerings that was to come to Moses and the Israelites, which is detailed in Leviticus. It is important to note that pertaining to the law of the sin and the trespass offerings that only those sins done in ignorance are remedied and forgiven by God. Both the old and the new testament agree that there is no animal sacrificial remedy for one who willingly sins (Num 15 29-31, Heb 10:26,27). Therefore, death through sin entered the world with Adam (Rom 5:12) whose sin could not be remedied through animal sacrifice (Heb 10:4). Thus, this provided a conundrum for God; what does He do for the masses of peoples that knowingly disobey Him? His solution was to provide for us a tree of life or a savior, Jesus Christ, who puts away ALL sin(Mat 1:21,1John 1:7).

Oct 12, 2011
This is a very good question. The answer lies in the fact that Eve’s sin is different from Adam’s sin. Eve’s sin was done in ignorance; she was beguiled or deceived by Satan, whereas Adam was not deceived and he knowingly and willingly disobeyed God (1Tim 2:14). Adam’s presumptuous sin was one that carried the penalty of death. Although Eve’s sin did not carry the penalty of death, she was also in the transgression and guilty. However, there was a remedy for her sin and this was utilized when God killed some animals and covered them with their skins(animal sacrifice). This was a shadow of the law of the offerings that was to come to Moses and the Israelites, which is detailed in Leviticus. It is important to note that pertaining to the law of the sin and the trespass offerings that only those sins done in ignorance are remedied and forgiven by God. Both the old and the new testament agree that there is no animal sacrificial remedy for one who willingly sins (Num 15 29-31, Heb 10:26,27). Therefore, death through sin entered the world with Adam (Rom 5:12) whose sin could not be remedied through animal sacrifice (Heb 10:4). Thus, this provided a conundrum for God; what does He do for the masses of peoples that knowingly disobey Him? His solution was to provide for us a tree of life or a savior, Jesus Christ, who puts away ALL sin(Mat 1:21,1John 1:7).

Wow, this was very interesting, I will ponder it more.
I can tell you've put much thought into this, and to me it's worth a reread.
I have had glimpses of the skins in the tabernacle, from Adam, through to Christ's body, so,....
Thank you for sharing this.

And Welcome to the forum.
Blessings

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
Interesting first post. I have some remarks though. First, I think not that the covering that Adam and Eve received was a "shadow" (a term which scripture does not use in this instance) of the law that was written down in Leviticus. Rather this commandment was passed on from Adam unto his coming generations. Secondly, we have to remember that the OT Saints received justification and cleansing on the same basis as us today, and also that they had the gospel. So those among them who were regenerate must have understood (had faith in) that the sacrifices that they partook of pointed forward towards a full sacrifice that would redeem them.

M

myeyesopened

If you would be so kind, please examine and comment upon the following verses within the context of your response above; Heb 11:39-40; 1Pet 1:10-12; Mat 13:17.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
If you would be so kind, please examine and comment upon the following verses within the context of your response above; Heb 11:39-40; 1Pet 1:10-12; Mat 13:17.
Matt.13

[17] For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.
Yes, the people living at the time of Jesus saw fulfilled with their own eyes what the law and the prophets had testified about to come. So these many prophets and righteous men of OT times knew well about the Messiah to come, that's why we can say that they shared the same hope as the NT Saints.

Heb.11

[39] And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
[40] God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.
The promise here is referring to what the abrahamic promises all boiled down to: resurrection of the dead and eternal life. The full realization of this promise would be experienced first by new covenant believers.

1Pet.1

[10] Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:
[11] Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
[12] Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
Basically the same thing here as with Matt.13:17. Interesting here to note is that it actually says that the Spirit of Christ was IN the OT Saints (v.11). Something that should give the dispensationalist crowd some extra thought.

May 25, 2010
What everyone has seemed to look over and not rationalized (interpreted) for the last 3700+/- years since Moses was given the Pentatuch by the LORD is how or why Eve spoke the untruth 'don't touch', when the LORD GOD never said this to Adam; but, properly interpreting this is key to uinderstanding exactly how Eve was deceived in the first place, and exactly how the serpent used subtlety to deceive her. Of course, it was not until Jesus told us for sure that the devil told the very first lie (Jn8:44), which then made it a fact, and 'sealed the deal' on who exactly is the devil.

Sound doctrine says that since the devil told the first lie, then not only is Eve's speaking the untruth 'don't touch' (which is not true because the LORD GOD never gave this restriction to Adam - Gen2:16-17) not the first time this untruth was spoken, but, in fact, it must be the very lie that was first spoken to her, which she believed was the truth, and is now merely repeating: else, she is the first liar, which contradicts scripture.

The point? Since one who knows the Truth cannot be deceived about it, no matter how subtle the would-be deceiver (fundamental biblical principle behind the WORD of GOD), then, since Eve was deceived, it is impossible that she ever knew the true Commandment (she was told a perverted one), for which case Adam is the only suspect since he was the only one the LORD GOD told the Commandment to, and he was responsible to tell it to Eve.

Another glaringly obvious misinterpretation of scripture is concerning Adam's feelings towards his wife, Eve. As the modern interpretation goes (as it probably has been since forever), Adam went and ate the forbidden fruit because he loved his wife and did not want her to die alone in her sin; however, the scripture (Gen3:6) is quite clear that Adam was right beside Eve when she picked and ate the fforbidden fruit, yet he made no attempt, neither verbally or physically, to stop her from commiting suicide, as it were. Is this love? or would a loving husband stand idlely by and let his wife risk death? Think again!

Let me again point you in the right direction. Reread Gen 1 - 3 beleiving only what you read, and not what men say it says, and you will see that there is no 'angel creation' apart from the Adam and Eve, who were angelic-like since they were covered in the LIKENESS of the LORD GOD, which is light (Ez1:26-28, 1Jn1:7). You see, we were the most sacred and special of GOD's creation, and we were to live a happy glorious life on this perfect planet, if it be the case that Adam chose to do right. The rest is history.

P

prophecyman

The bible clearly states that eve sinned first, why then does Paul say sin entered the world through Adam?
Eve was decieved, Adam was not. Adam transgressed and therefore sin entered into the world.

C

CC_Bride

Eve's sin may have been in ignorance, whereas Adam's was wilfull disobedience
No she knew what she was doing. She sinned by commision - committing an act that is deliberately sinful. Adam sinned by ommision - failing to do something you ought to do. He did this, by standing next to Eve while Satan was with her tempting her and not doing anything about it. God made him the leader of the family and God made it Adam's responsibility to teach Eve Gods commandments ie Don't eat fruit from THAT tree, and kill all talking snakes. Thats why, when they hid from God, God called out to Adam not Eve. Its a rhetorical thing because God obviously knew they sinned but wanted to give Adam the chance to come out and repent not only of his sin but the sin Eve committed. That doesn't mean Eve's sin was his fault, but it was his responsibility. And obviously Adam failed at that since he tried blaming God for making the woman.

May 25, 2010
Which is the greater sin: to sin, or to cause another to sin? Iniquity (evil thinking), which is sin, was in the Garden, even before the first accountable (by the Commandment) sin was committed by Eve; therefore, unrighteousness was already at work, and it was manifested by the woman being deceived and eating the forbidden fruit first. And this iniquity was that which Adam hid in his heart (Job) and did not confess when he was tried (Gen): and it is that spoke of by Paul (2Thes).