if God came out with a new book, would you believe it's real?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2009
Okay so, what if God came out with "the bible part 2" and it came about in the same way that the original bible came about, which is a collaboration of many people's writings, which were then cut down to what is known as the Bible today.

so if "The Bible part 2" came out, would you believe it to be real, that is to say if it had the same ammount of historical accuracy, and had no contradictions with the original Bible, and was accepted widely by the christian community.

would you believe it?

why, or why not?

T

tryingtofindhim

NO, the Bible is finished and anyone who tries to add to it will add to himself the plagues mentioned in revelation.

S

suaso

Well, the Jews were a religion of the book. Their revelation from God came to them in the form of the scriptures (old testament). Christians have those scriptures, and we also have Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of those Jewish texts, and is himself the final and complete revelation of God to man. Nothing more is needed, nothing more is adequate. The new testament follows Christ, the books of the Gospel being written accounts of his deeds on earth, and then Acts being an account of the Church post-resurrection. The letters are instruction, and so on. The revelation still begins and ends with Christ. The NT is just a written account of that revelation. Any new "book" written by God would seem unnecessary. What would God have to tell us that we don't already know through Christ (who is God himself)?

I would assume any "book authored by God" was simply some sort of hoax.

Oct 23, 2009
The Bible was written over a wide range of time—thousands of years, if I am not mistaken. I’m not aware there is a Bible, Part 2, in the works.

The New Testament was decided upon by the Roman Catholic Church, back in the fourth century, if I am not mistaken.
The Roman Catholic Church was predominant in those days. They could come up with a second part to the Bible, but that doesn’t mean the other denominations would follow suit.

S

suaso

Well, even we couldn't do that. When we set the New Testament canon, it was set for good, even for us. Not even the Pontiff could tell us to add, say, The Gospel of Peter or something.

Oct 23, 2009
Well, even we couldn't do that. When we set the New Testament canon, it was set for good, even for us. Not even the Pontiff could tell us to add, say, The Gospel of Peter or something.
Couldn’t the leaders of a denomination change the canon for their denomination? Wasn’t it the church that decided upon the canon, so I would think it could change its mind.

M

Maddog

Couldn’t the leaders of a denomination change the canon for their denomination? Wasn’t it the church that decided upon the canon, so I would think it could change its mind.
As far as my understanding takes me, organic development of doctrine is possible and does happen, but completely altering something which has been dogmatically defined is impossible. So there will be no more books of the Bible as the canon is already closed.

As for what other denominations decide to do, well, Luther apparently felt quite free to not include several accepted books in his canon. The question that must be asked is who has the authority to decide?

Oct 23, 2009
As far as my understanding takes me, organic development of doctrine is possible and does happen, but completely altering something which has been dogmatically defined is impossible. So there will be no more books of the Bible as the canon is already closed.
It’s not clear to me how the canon was settled upon. If a pope closed the canon, couldn’t a subsequent pope re-open it? If a council was formed to settle the question, couldn’t another council be convened to change the canon?

May 4, 2009
I personally think the holy spirit should be telling us what's cannon or not. We are only humans, we can't decide on something this important.

M

Maddog

It’s not clear to me how the canon was settled upon. If a pope closed the canon, couldn’t a subsequent pope re-open it? If a council was formed to settle the question, couldn’t another council be convened to change the canon?
No, because Truth does not change. It's the same reason why the doctrine of the Trinity will never change, and 'women priests' will forever remain an oxymoron.

Once the Church has infallibly defined something, it can't go back.

M

Maddog

I personally think the holy spirit should be telling us what's cannon or not. We are only humans, we can't decide on something this important.
Yes, but God doesn't come down and tell us personally which books are canon and which are not. He left His Church to do that job.

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
i wouldnt belive it. as tryingtofindhim said - the bible is finished.

D

Definition_Christ

Okay so, what if God came out with "the bible part 2" and it came about in the same way that the original bible came about, which is a collaboration of many people's writings, which were then cut down to what is known as the Bible today.

so if "The Bible part 2" came out, would you believe it to be real, that is to say if it had the same ammount of historical accuracy, and had no contradictions with the original Bible, and was accepted widely by the christian community.

would you believe it?

why, or why not?
Galations 1
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

C

charisenexcelcis

I would not accept it. If Jesus is God incarnate, and if there was no greater revelation of God than Jesus, then once the eyewitnesses have stopped writing, the scripture is finished. Even the apocalyptic book of Revelation is "a Revelation of Jesus Christ".

G

greatkraw

I would not accept it. If Jesus is God incarnate, and if there was no greater revelation of God than Jesus, then once the eyewitnesses have stopped writing, the scripture is finished. Even the apocalyptic book of Revelation is "a Revelation of Jesus Christ".
Good answer. Maybe when Jesus is ruling the world from Jerusalem he will have something new to add.

May 21, 2009
No cause I would have been told about it in the other books.

B

Broern

I will never never ever believe it. The present Bible is already causing arguments, confusion, and division among the body of Jesus Christ. Even the prayer of Jesus for the believers to be one is not given an ear. Bible part II will not be made because God already knows what will happen again and He is an all knowing God.

Status
Not open for further replies.