Interested in becoming a Christian

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
One last thing, pray for God's guidance. Pray for Him to bring you into people's lives who need to know Him, pray that He gives you the words that they need to hear (it's amazing how basic those words can be a lot of the time), pray (silently) ~as~ you are witnessing, and pray for the people you have witnessed to afterwards (that the Lord would use what you said to help bring them to Him).

It's also helpful to have a verse or two memorized, or just know where to find them quickly in your Bible (examples might be something like John 3:16, John 5:24, Romans 10:9-10 and/or a verse or passage that you can discuss with them because it has such deep meaning to you). As the Apostle tells us,

Romans 10
17 Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

God's word plays a large part in coming to faith.

Finally, be aware that most of our witnessing does not result in someone coming to faith right then and there. We, along with many others, are simply helping to plant seeds or water them and help them grow. The "reaping" often happens later, with someone else. However, if you end up being that "someone else", you should also be prepared to tell a person how to come to saving faith in Christ as well (which again amounts to telling them how 'you' came to saving faith, so no worries :)).

God bless you!

~Deut
p.s. - as a bit of encouragement, here's my favorite Christian quote about witnessing, by Pastor/Theologian Charles Spurgeon.

Spurgeon - If Sinners - No One Unwarned-Unprayed for..jpg

Aug 1, 2020
Hi deut, I am so excited to witness for Christ! I will absolutely be extraordinarily humble and loving towards people I talk to about Jesus. :)

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. - Matthew 7:12

I believe the Lord is commanding us to treat others how we would want to be treated in every situation. That is one of the core messages of the Bible and of Christ. This passage is something I value a lot personally, and I deeply revere and honor what the Lord has to say about treating others with respect.

I will definitely order the book you posted, asking leading questions to help people find their own conclusion seems like a really good way to help people find answers.

I will definitely pray to God fervently for guidance on helping others know Him, and memorize as many verses as I can in order to properly convey the Gospel message.

In the quote by Charles Spurgeon you posted, I think I understand what he is saying, when he says "let them perish with our arms about their knees" I think that means even if people are bent on not being saved we need to be praying at their feet with our arms wrapped around their knees, trying to convince them of Christ before they descend into Hell. I see what he is saying, we need to be diligent about exposing others to our merciful Lord. Even if others may not ultimately come to saving faith, we must try to respectfully show them the goodness of our Lord.

I understand what you said about sowing and reaping faith. I'll be prepared to do both when the time comes. :)

Do you wear a cross? I was thinking of buying a cross necklace in order to express my faith in Jesus and my deep gratitude for His sacrifice, as well as provide a way for others to know that I am a Christian and to serve as a conversation-starter for them to possibly know the Lord.

Thank you so much deut, and God bless you!

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi deut, I am so excited to witness for Christ! I will absolutely be extraordinarily humble and loving towards people I talk to about Jesus. :)

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets. - Matthew 7:12

I believe the Lord is commanding us to treat others how we would want to be treated in every situation. That is one of the core messages of the Bible and of Christ. This passage is something I value a lot personally, and I deeply revere and honor what the Lord has to say about treating others with respect.
Hello Biscuits, that's good to know brother, and you are correct about Matthew 7:12. I will just add this, that the Lord means for us to ALWAYS treat others like we hope and expect to be treated by them, EVEN when they are treating us badly. IOW, their actual treatment of us does not determine how we treat them, Jesus does :)

Finally, I pointed out the qualifying phrase on the end of v12 to you, because that's what makes this verse even more amazing than it already is. The "Law and the Prophets" is a Jewish adage for the OT, which means that, in a very real sense, the entire OT and how to obey it (at least in regard to our relationships with each other) was summed up by the Lord for us in the first half of that verse!!

In the quote by Charles Spurgeon you posted, I think I understand what he is saying, when he says "let them perish with our arms about their knees" I think that means even if people are bent on not being saved we need to be praying at their feet with our arms wrapped around their knees, trying to convince them of Christ before they descend into Hell. I see what he is saying, we need to be diligent about exposing others to our merciful Lord. Even if others may not ultimately come to saving faith, we must try to respectfully show them the goodness of our Lord.
Few in history have been as openly passionate about the plight of the lost, and yes, passion for them and for their need to know the Gospel and be saved is what that quote of his was all about.

I understand what you said about sowing and reaping faith. I'll be prepared to do both when the time comes. :)
(y)(y)

Do you wear a cross? I was thinking of buying a cross necklace in order to express my faith in Jesus and my deep gratitude for His sacrifice, as well as provide a way for others to know that I am a Christian and to serve as a conversation-starter for them to possibly know the Lord.
I used to own and wear one, but I lost it sometime ago. That's a great idea though :)

Blessings to you in Christ,
Deut
p.s. - one last thing to keep in the back of your mind about witnessing/evangelism/apologetics, God, His word and the Gospel are meant to be believed or disbelieved by the unregenerate, not sullied or disparaged, such that they become the objects of their ridicule and scorn. Nor does the Lord intend that we
(His possessors of "beautiful feet" .. Romans 10:14-15) should be either (though it cannot be helped sometimes .. e.g. 2 Timothy 3:12).

If that happens, it's probably best to politely excuse yourself and leave (well, as the Lord leads, of course), and then pray for another opportunity (for yourself and/or for someone else) to bring the Gospel back to these same people at a later time (when hopefully, they will be more receptive to hearing it). This too is a command from the Lord, to always be discerning in such situations (Matthew 7:6).

Aug 1, 2020
Hi deut, that makes sense what you said about treating others the way Jesus does. I do see what you are saying about how we should not let the Gospel be disrespected and we should leave if this happens and possibly come back when those we are trying to talk about Christ to are more receptive. I will follow this command from the Lord.

That is really interesting that the Law and the Prophets refers to the OT, I think I see what you are saying when you said we obey the OT by following the golden rule. I have to keep reading to fully understand what that means, but I'm sure I will eventually. I will certainly obey it, and treat others how Jesus would treat them.

Hello @Deade thank you! I am grateful to be a part of Christian Chat. I have been enjoying my time here learning about the faith.

Before becoming more interested in Christianity I was unsure of my religion, I grew up in a semi-Christian household, we went to church only a couple of times a year. I didn't know if there was really a point to being part of a religion or whether I should just be an atheist, but I know now that there really is a God who loves me so much that He sent His son to die an excruciating death so that I could have a loving relationship with Him and receive eternal life. My heart is bursting with love for Jesus because I so deeply honor and respect what He did for me. I am so happy and grateful that He is in my life!

I was studying the verse Matthew 16:24-25 "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." I really do want to follow Him and keep His commandments. I understand that He wants me to take up my cross, but what exactly does this mean?

From what I've read I think it means to be prepared to give up my comforts, my possessions, my relationships or even my safety if necessary in order to be His disciple and follow Him into heaven. Is this the way you see Matthew 16:24-25? If that is true then I am more than happy to follow through to demonstrate my faith in Jesus.

I think the whole point is that following Jesus is more important than the material things we encounter in life, which I can understand because of my joy in Him and His promise of eternal life. Do you think the same way?

What is your perspective on Matthew 16:24-25?

God bless,
biscuits

Aug 13, 2020
Hi everyone, I have been an atheist for as long as I can remember but I am very interested in becoming a Christian. I want to understand how a relationship with God can help me in my life. How can I become part of the faith? Do I need to say a prayer or do something else? Thank you!
Hi and Good morning! (not sure when you will be reading this) I too just became Christian after being Wiccan, new age, etc etc. I tried everything. (truth seeker, is what I prefer to call my past because I was just looking for an answer to my question). As for Atheists I think it is such a unique transition because you go from believing in nothing, or science and evolution to believing and surrendering to God, our Father. I think that is just incredible and so brave of you to reach out and ask for help.

For me personally, when I made the switch: (and I went from working in the adult industry btw to full on my knees repenting to God) I found a good Christian friend, everyone knows at least one. I asked their advice and it was slow. I found a good Christian church (be careful with this one, and keep in mind that if you happen to have a bad experience at first, it is the people and not God). I did A LOT of reading and watching youtube videos from Christians. I literally changed everything and then I slowly told my friends and family and then I announced it and got baptized. I can say that I will NEVER go back and my life is 100% better now. I feel his presence and protection and love in everything I do and I know he is looking over me because he shows me little signs.

I hope you find the answers to what you are looking for and I am so happy you have found faith and hope.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
Hi and Good morning! (not sure when you will be reading this) I too just became Christian after being Wiccan, new age, etc etc. I tried everything. (truth seeker, is what I prefer to call my past because I was just looking for an answer to my question). As for Atheists I think it is such a unique transition because you go from believing in nothing, or science and evolution to believing and surrendering to God, our Father. I think that is just incredible and so brave of you to reach out and ask for help.

For me personally, when I made the switch: (and I went from working in the adult industry btw to full on my knees repenting to God) I found a good Christian friend, everyone knows at least one. I asked their advice and it was slow. I found a good Christian church (be careful with this one, and keep in mind that if you happen to have a bad experience at first, it is the people and not God). I did A LOT of reading and watching youtube videos from Christians. I literally changed everything and then I slowly told my friends and family and then I announced it and got baptized. I can say that I will NEVER go back and my life is 100% better now. I feel his presence and protection and love in everything I do and I know he is looking over me because he shows me little signs.

I hope you find the answers to what you are looking for and I am so happy you have found faith and hope.
'Amen".........'Praise God"

thMYACKUK4 - Copy.jpg Friendly.png

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Hi deut, that makes sense what you said about treating others the way Jesus does. I do see what you are saying about how we should not let the Gospel be disrespected and we should leave if this happens and possibly come back when those we are trying to talk about Christ to are more receptive. I will follow this command from the Lord.

That is really interesting that the Law and the Prophets refers to the OT, I think I see what you are saying when you said we obey the OT by following the golden rule. I have to keep reading to fully understand what that means, but I'm sure I will eventually. I will certainly obey it, and treat others how Jesus would treat them.

Hello @Deade thank you! I am grateful to be a part of Christian Chat. I have been enjoying my time here learning about the faith.

Before becoming more interested in Christianity I was unsure of my religion, I grew up in a semi-Christian household, we went to church only a couple of times a year. I didn't know if there was really a point to being part of a religion or whether I should just be an atheist, but I know now that there really is a God who loves me so much that He sent His son to die an excruciating death so that I could have a loving relationship with Him and receive eternal life. My heart is bursting with love for Jesus because I so deeply honor and respect what He did for me. I am so happy and grateful that He is in my life!

I was studying the verse Matthew 16:24-25 "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." I really do want to follow Him and keep His commandments. I understand that He wants me to take up my cross, but what exactly does this mean?

From what I've read I think it means to be prepared to give up my comforts, my possessions, my relationships or even my safety if necessary in order to be His disciple and follow Him into heaven. Is this the way you see Matthew 16:24-25? If that is true then I am more than happy to follow through to demonstrate my faith in Jesus.

I think the whole point is that following Jesus is more important than the material things we encounter in life, which I can understand because of my joy in Him and His promise of eternal life. Do you think the same way?

What is your perspective on Matthew 16:24-25?

God bless,
biscuits
You are a BEA~UTI~FUL breeze the LORD our God has sent to us , to remind us of our first love Jesus Christ...
Your love for our LORD is beaming right through my laptop...All the glory to Him Amen \o/

Welcome to CC...
...xox...

Izzy_007

Aug 14, 2020
Hey I saw your post on how you want to become a Christian and I want to help. I believe you need to get your answers straight from the source.

This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
1 Timothy 2:3-4.

if your interested in getting into a Bible Study let me know =)

Aug 1, 2020
Hi sister @TheMabeesBabee thank the Lord you are here! I agree that it is unique going from atheist to Christian, suddenly you go from being lonely and not understanding the world to being safe and loved in God's arms, your purpose defined by Christ and that is just the greatest thing ever.

Hi @Rosemaryx I am happy what I wrote reminds you of the Lord! I do love the Lord, and hope He blesses us greatly:)

I gave my life to Jesus on my knees as well :) I have found a great Christian church too, although I am just attending virtually right now, I would agree that churches can have different ways of doing things but it is just a matter of finding one with a great group of people that love to worship God and spread His love.

Knowing that God is present in my life fills me with the most ecstatic joy, I know that He is all powerful, forgiving, and has a great plan for us all. Getting into intimate prayer with Jesus is the most enlightening and rewarding experience ever, and I thank Him every day for the loving sacrifice He made for me.

I have found faith and hope sister, I pray your faith grows strong too until your heart is filled with joy!

Blessings in Christ,
biscuits