Is drinking alcohol a sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charisenexcelcis

OK, so this has nothing to do with this thread but I really hate the issue of smoking, yes I agree it is not right but people are so quick to point a finger and jump all over someone who smokes. But they shrug off those who do far more damage to their spirit by feeding it things totally contrary to the Word and drive their air polluting vehicles adding to city pollution that everyone breathes in without a care...HYPOCRITES I say!....now don't you dare take another bite of that fast food you so like....:cool:
Are you trying to hold me accountable? How dare you. lol.

G

Graybeard

:eek:...:confused:....oookay, this is interesting, a "dangerous" scripture, how does one take this? because it could easily lead to a lot using this scripture as an excuse to drink, or even continuous drinking. I think one has to exercise wisdom to implement it. I can just see week Christians riding this one all the way.
what do others say about this?
Pro 31:1 The words of King Lemuel, the utterance which his mother taught him:

So I note that this Proverb was by King Lemuel who was taught by his mother. Now the question is:
Who was King Lemuel?
Who was his mother?
Are we to take this as divine scripture? (touchy one here)
Is this not perhaps a true statement but not a statement of Truth?

PreTribGuy

Staff member
Nov 7, 2009
:eek:...:confused:....oookay, this is interesting, a "dangerous" scripture, how does one take this? because it could easily lead to a lot using this scripture as an excuse to drink, or even continuous drinking. I think one has to exercise wisdom to implement it. I can just see week Christians riding this one all the way.
what do others say about this?
Deut 14:26 [SIZE=+0]And thou shalt bestow[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] that money[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] for whatsoever thy soul[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] lusteth after[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], for oxen[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], or for sheep[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], or for wine[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], or for strong drink[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], or for whatsoever thy soul[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] desireth[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]: and thou shalt eat[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] there before[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] the LORD[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] thy God[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], and thou shalt rejoice[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], thou, and thine household[/SIZE][SIZE=+0],

It is also helpful to read the entire passage for context, for this verse is talking about "tithing"...
[/SIZE]

G

Graybeard

Deut 14:26 [SIZE=+0]And thou shalt bestow[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] that money[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] for whatsoever thy soul[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] lusteth after[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], for oxen[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], or for sheep[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], or for wine[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], or for strong drink[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], or for whatsoever thy soul[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] desireth[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]: and thou shalt eat[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] there before[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] the LORD[/SIZE][SIZE=+0] thy God[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], and thou shalt rejoice[/SIZE][SIZE=+0], thou, and thine household[/SIZE][SIZE=+0],

It is also helpful to read the entire passage for context, for this verse is talking about "tithing"...
[/SIZE]
Welcome to CC.
Yes that scripture is about tithes, but the scriptures in Proverbs is not.

PreTribGuy

Staff member
Nov 7, 2009
Yes that scripture is about tithes, but the scriptures in Proverbs is not.
Yes, but the verse is the clearest verse in the Bible that God not only allows alcohol, but that one could use their 'tithe money' to buy alcohol and (basically) throw a big party/feast.

G

Graybeard

Yes, but the verse is the clearest verse in the Bible that God not only allows alcohol, but that one could use their 'tithe money' to buy alcohol and (basically) throw a big party/feast.
Whoa...you have got to read it in context...as you yourself said, see verses before God gave them permission:

Deu 14:24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the LORD your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the LORD your God has blessed you,
Deu 14:25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses.

Besides...This does not apply today as we tithe with money and not animals or the like, our churches are close by or one can simply make a bank transfer!

G

greatkraw

beware of legalism guys

you can have all the preference you like in the world but do not add to the word of God - do not make it say something it actually does not

Jan 8, 2009
this coming from a man that says you need to be found blameless in the end .Smoking is not good and it is not a small issue as is drinking not a small issue.I wont be swept away by this ridiculous notion of letting these sins slide.Quit using your ridiculous scenarios to justify sin.God is not ever going to lead anyone to smoke because smoking is and in no way can be anything but a void filler that only Christ can fill and also leads to death and poor health.Ya ,if it causes lung cancer,terrible health,moodiness,lack of self control than it must be from God,how silly of me.:eek: My point is if it goes against what God would want for us we should not be doing it,its not a grey area but a bold black,black
I say!!!!!!
My grandfather smoked and drank and was overweight and lived to be 94 by God's grace. We like to think we are in control of our life by what we eat and drink but I also know 7th day adventist vegetarians in their 60's with life threatening diseases that according to them, they should not have got. The point is you can't use scripture to justifiy not smoking or drinking, if you could it would most certainly include big mac's fries, ice cream, preservatives, fluordated water, the mercury in flu shots and to avoid breathing in the pollution and second hand smoke we breathe in every day walking down the street. Cigarettes and drinking are small issues for those who enjoy it in moderation. The reason why they are big issues is not because governments care about your health, but because the economy suffers. But I dont think God sees a smoking and drinking christian any different to a christian who doesn't. He would definitely not judge them for defiling his temple because defiling it is nothing to do with what goes in, but what comes out of the heart, as Jesus taught.

Last edited:
N

NewJerusalem

Let me first address the fact that some people feel that there was lesser alcohol content in the wine used in Jesus' time. Granted distillation did not exist, as far as we know.
The distillation process does enhance the alcohol content. However, the fermentation process produces enough alcohol to get drunk. In fact, the lower acohol levels for them would have been the same as our higher levels are for us. Let me explain.

Our bodies produce an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase, (AD), which detoxifies the alcohol we consume. It is the amounts of AD in our body, along with how much we have had to eat, that determines our vulnerability to getting drunk. Our size has nothing to do with it, that is a myth. Food in our stomach to dilute the alcohol is important because alcohol is one of just a few things that are absorbed directly from the stomach into our blood, most foods waiting till the intestines for absorbtion. The point is that the body responds to alcohol by producing AD. In the beginning, there is little to none, that why we get so drunk the first time we drink. Through time, our bodies slowly increases it's ability to produce AD. That is why people who have been drinking for years can drink more without getting drunk. The reduced amounts of AD in those people of Jesus' time (because it's production would not be stimulated as greatly), would mean that they would be just as able to get drunk on the lesser amounts of alcohol content, as we are. It is all relative!

Now consider the following verse. Jesus is speaking:

Luke 7: 33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and you say, 'He has a demon.' 34 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and you say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." '

There is no way that an honest person can interpret this passage without the realization that Jesus admits to drinking fermented wine. If Jesus did it, it is NOT sin!

Wine is NOT DISTILLED. :)

C

charisenexcelcis

So, how do the Jews deal with the yeast issue if they drink alcoholic wine at Passover?

G

greatkraw

So, how do the Jews deal with the yeast issue if they drink alcoholic wine at Passover?
all i know is wine in greek is oinos and i have experienced a seder in the holy land and specifically enquired

Status
Not open for further replies.