Is It Possible To Backslide

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
BETTER QUESTION:

Is it possible not to backslide? Understanding that backslid simply means one sinning..........stumbling, slipping, whatever.

Nov 12, 2015
BETTER QUESTION:

Is it possible not to backslide? Understanding that backslid simply means one sinning..........stumbling, slipping, whatever.
I think most people think of the term backslidden as a little more...chronic of a condition. I may sin by getting caught in worry for five or ten minutes before I review His promises and come out of it. Or I may let pride cause my feelings to get hurt and snap at my significant other until the Spirit checks me. But...I think most think of backslidden as a more chronic and hardened heart for some period of time. But that might just be the definition in my own head and no one elses...:)

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
I honestly get the point of what you are saying, and it’s true, when I read my Bible daily, and just walk with Him. In those times, I can get caught up in worship to my Lord, my King, my G-d that at earthly things really do just fade away and there are moments, long moments, “my flesh” is as though it doesn’t exist. But that only comes with daily diligence. To my shame, in 25+ years of salvation I have not maintained such diligence. And when I haven’t at first the memory of Bible verses keeps for a while; but it’s like eating a great meal then going several days without eating that memory does not fill the belly and the hunger pains become overwhelming. G-d’s Word is alive, sharper than a two-edge sward that cuts between the bone and the marrow, cutting away at the flesh, and when I go without not just a quick read but really read it, I’m sorry to say I do backslide. One of the greatest Scriptures I hold on to is Jeremiah 3:22 “Return, faithless people; I will cure you of backsliding.” “Yes, we will come to you, for you are the Lord our God. And you know what my Daddy is there every time I return. I am so grateful His mercy is renewed every morning, He cleanses me of all unrighteousness and my time away gets shorter and shorter, and less and less because it is bad out there!!!

Dec 1, 2014
Dagnabit again! Would someone please rep this man! I keep having spreadability problems, and he needs a rep for sheer "This is my reality!"
Thank you, sister!

Aug 15, 2009
Since a christian can apostatize, then they can also backslide.

D

Depleted

why is it that no one reads what i wrote...anything is possible until the Spirit penetrates the soul...that only means it never was and not that it was and became lost :D
I read your first post at least three times, and the one I questioned at leas three times. If I told you twice that foil is a better decision than cane for small projects, and then repeated that twice, would you then understand what I'm saying because I repeated it?

They are English words. The concept is true, but, unless you know what I'm talking about in the first place, it makes no sense.

I'm talking about making stained-glass. Even after telling you what I'm talking about does it help anymore? No, unless you happen to know how to make stained glass.

In like kind, you keep talking about backsliding and "penetrating the soul." I do get the basics of God. I've got no clue what the soul is or how something penetrates it, since I have no clue what a soul is.

So, you're explanation is as clear as mud, and repeating it surely didn't help.

Mostly, I absolutely know God's got me, yet I walked more than once -- backslid. Thus, nope. Backsliding is real.

Dec 12, 2013
How does sanctification work for a Christian? How do I do the will of our Father in Heaven?

The same way children LEARN to be submissive to their parents..........and not even going to argue the FACT that sanctification in our daily lives is a PROCESS of growth and MATURITY.......geesh!

Dec 12, 2013
That parable doesn't guarantee a return..... what it does do is prove a return IS possible.
He that begun a good work WILL complete it....ALL that the FATHER has given me I will LOSE NOTHING but will raise up the last day..........and the point remains--->HE was a SON through the whole process......

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
He that begun a good work WILL complete it....ALL that the FATHER has given me I will LOSE NOTHING but will raise up the last day..........and the point remains--->HE was a SON through the whole process......
Straight to the point! Man that sword is sharp! :p

F

FreeNChrist

That parable doesn't guarantee a return..... what it does do is prove a return IS possible.
What it does guarantee is sonship.

* which I now see has already been pointed out....

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LaurenTM

"If paradise penetrates the soul; thoughts of the flesh no longer exist" is not biblical, and I don't think it is biblically sound. Paul didn't write, "wretched man that I was" in Romans 7. John did write, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

Increasing sanctification, increasing conformity to Christ, decreasing overt sin, increasing sensitivity to our failures, yes. Sinless perfectionism in this life, which is what the OP appears to assert, no. The more I grow in Christ, the more I see just how much I need His mercy... continuously.

as I noted on his first op, this form of thought is Christian mysticism...a Catholic practice

if you are hibernating in a monastery or a 17th ascetic, it's all good

otherwise, not so much

alotta words that are NOT biblical, as you have already observed

and you and I will never achieve the spiritual status of this type of thing...we just plod along and trust in God to 'get us to the other side'

kidding...life with God is exciting...:eek:

L

LaurenTM

If backsliding is a momentary lapse? Yes. If backsliding is to leave Him altogether? No.

I'm not picking on you...honestly! but your post put me in mind of David

how long was he backslidden? cheese whiz...he committed adultery and had a man killed

that's some heavy duty backsliding there...seems he thought everything was 'business as usual' until God had Nathan tap him on the shoulder

and then there was the sin of numbering Israel...and others...hmmmmm

seems David even sinned in a big way....

and the sword hung over his family for the rest of his life

there are consequences but folks do backslide and can be far more than a 'momentary lapse'

L

LaurenTM

Can we be destroyed by what we do in this earth by living by the flesh instead of the spirit? Try taking up shooting heroin in your arms every day and you will see the Lord before your time.

whaaaa?

you have mentioned heroin often enough to make me wonder if you did that?

then again, you appear to still be here so maybe not.........:p

joking aside, I do think people can destroy themselves...and go straight to he double sticks

I do believe there are scriptures in the NT that indicate that...otherwise, why all the warnings?

L

LaurenTM

"thoughts of the flesh no longer exist" -- ???? I have been a believer a long time and have not even come near to any sort of reality even close to this! I am very much living in my flesh and am very susceptible to thinking thoughts that are not of God. I would hope and pray I can come much closer to this reality, but I do not expect to find that such thoughts "no longer exist!"

thoughts of the flesh, eh?

I don't know about anyone else, but my stomach operates independently of my mind...but if I ignore it, it sends thoughts up towards the ole noggin...like...'what should I have for supper?'

again, this is Christian mysticism and does not line up with scripture

Dec 12, 2013
I'm not picking on you...honestly! but your post put me in mind of David

how long was he backslidden? cheese whiz...he committed adultery and had a man killed

that's some heavy duty backsliding there...seems he thought everything was 'business as usual' until God had Nathan tap him on the shoulder

and then there was the sin of numbering Israel...and others...hmmmmm

seems David even sinned in a big way....

and the sword hung over his family for the rest of his life

there are consequences but folks do backslide and can be far more than a 'momentary lapse'
David is a prime example of this and through the whole ordeal he never lost his salvation or his son-ship if you will.....He also had physical ailments due to his sin....and yes sought the joy of his salvation to be restored, but not salvation itself.......

L

LaurenTM

David is a prime example of this and through the whole ordeal he never lost his salvation or his son-ship if you will.....He also had physical ailments due to his sin....and yes sought the joy of his salvation to be restored, but not salvation itself.......
great point!

L

LaurenTM

LOL...naw...if that was the case - I would have done it this way..."Ya'll are a bunch of reprobates and lovers of sinning!"

I would have done it to highlight that you are children of the devil.
oh please oh please oh please

not again..

uh.......you forgot the blue part............:cool:

L

LaurenTM

why is it that no one reads what i wrote...anything is possible until the Spirit penetrates the soul...that only means it never was and not that it was and became lost :D

oh

I dunno

why is it you missed the part in scripture that teaches us that when we accept Jesus as our Savior, we are SEALED with the Holy Spirit?

penetrates the soul?

nope

it is our spirits that are brought to life in God

seems it may be you that needs to do some studying up...:)

when practically everyone says the opposite of what an op states, it can very well be the op and not the general populace...oh sure there are exceptions...but this is plainly not one of them