is it right to spank r kids

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Wow! this is a topic that can and will always be argued about just state your opinion cause not everyone else is going to agree. :)
I did state my opinion, from almost 40 years experience at bringing children up into life. And it is to me a very dismal excuse for knowing Jesus to say some of the things that are said about Him above. When John, the apostle whom Jesus loved, who laid his head on the breast of Jesus often, saw Him as He is now in heaven, he was struck dumb, so weak that he could not even stand. And this after living filled with the Holy Spirit for many decades. And when Jesus returns to this world, it will be with eyes of fire, with a two edged sword coming out of His mouth, and He will slay all who are gathered against Him. I find the description of Jesus above to be a lie, one that needs to be confronted.

Nothing personal,
In His love,
vic

K

KisDawn

I did state my opinion, from almost 40 years experience at bringing children up into life. And it is to me a very dismal excuse for knowing Jesus to say some of the things that are said about Him above. When John, the apostle whom Jesus loved, who laid his head on the breast of Jesus often, saw Him as He is now in heaven, he was struck dumb, so weak that he could not even stand. And this after living filled with the Holy Spirit for many decades. And when Jesus returns to this world, it will be with eyes of fire, with a two edged sword coming out of His mouth, and He will slay all who are gathered against Him. I find the description of Jesus above to be a lie, one that needs to be confronted.

Nothing personal,
In His love,
vic
So in your views he is a war lord that will have the view of obey me or I will destroy you? I am happy that Jesus isn't like that for real and that he is kind loving and forgiving. :) Because that is a person worth following, not a war lord. He has love for people and wants them to show love to other people to be like his example. No where did he say behave like devils. And if there are places in the bible that describes him that way someone who loves us so much then it is they who are wrong in how they remembered him. My God and my Jesus are loving and kind not heartless bent on destruction. That is the devil.

L

lil-rush

So in your views he is a war lord that will have the view of obey me or I will destroy you? I am happy that Jesus isn't like that for real and that he is kind loving and forgiving. :) Because that is a person worth following, not a war lord. He has love for people and wants them to show love to other people to be like his example. No where did he say behave like devils. And if there are places in the bible that describes him that way someone who loves us so much then it is they who are wrong in how they remembered him. My God and my Jesus are loving and kind not heartless bent on destruction. That is the devil.
Jesus is a warlord. Your view of love is warped if you think Jesus cannot display harsh characteristics just because He is a loving Lord( and I do not say "warped" to be offensive. I'm just being frank). I don't know your view on the trinity (if you believe it or not), but I do believe it, and that means Jesus was God in the Old Testament. That means every time God ordered His people to kill a whole tribe of people, or when God wiped out Sodom and Gomorrah, or when God struck down a man for touching the ark of the covenant, that was also Jesus doing those things. God/Jesus has killed before, and He will kill again. Read Revelations.

My parents have spanked me, grounded me, and chastised me all in the name of love. Love is harsh when it has to be. If a man came into our house tonight with the intent to rob us and kill anyone who got in his way, my dad would kill that man to protect his family. That is love. He loves us so much that he will kill to protect us. If someone talks bad about my sister I get angry and snap at that person, I tell them to not talk bad about my sister. That is love. By defending my sister I am showing my love for her.

Love is being kind, yes, but that is not the only way to display love. In fact, always being kind -even when someone does not need kindness at the time- is the opposite of love. You are smothering a person if you are always kind to them when they need something other than kindness. If a person needs discipline, you give them discipline. If a person needs mercy, you give them mercy. If a person needs kindness, you give them kindness. If someone needs a reality check, you give them a reality check. And so on and so forth.

Proverbs tells us "faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful." (27:6). This verse is telling us to speak the truth to a friend when a friend needs to hear it, even if it will be painful to a friend to hear the truth. It may not be "kind" to tell someone what they need to hear, but it is loving.

Proverbs 20:30 "Blows that hurt cleanse away evil, as do stripes the inner depths of the heart." Sometimes the best way to love someone is to be strict and honest with them. People don't always need beating-around-the-bush-sugar-coated-kindness.

Psalm 141:5 "Let the righteous strike me; it shall be a kindness. And let him rebuke me; it shall be as excellent oil; let my head not refuse it." King David is praying to God that people rebuke him for his sins and strike him(figuratively) in order to set him on the right path again. King David isn't praying that people sit down and stroke his back, and sweetly tell him how he did wrong. He realizes he doesn't need that.

Don't get me wrong, kindness works great for some people, but others need more than a kind word to set them back on the path of righteousness.

Feb 27, 2007
I would recommend that you view VW's profile, then read some of his posts to receive VW's view of the Lord. This is a man who loves the Lord very much & to whom the Lord also shows great love and presence. Read Lil rush's post. In order to grow in our faith we read the word of God that we would know God. Spend some time getting to know God in the old testament and then you more fully receive of the comprehension of Gods GRACE and Love that is in Christ Jesus. Bless your heart.

X

XxJessicaxX

Depends on the child u have.

T

Tinker

Hey. I would spank them if they absoultey need it. They need to learn from that spanking that they shouldn't do what they did again. If it's not really all that bad, then I would prob put them on punishment

T

tkgurl

i really dont think its right to hit your child at all. everyone has their own opinions on discipline, and i think spanking is by far the worst method. one reason is that when most adults discipline their kids in this way they do it when they are angry. i was spanked as a kid and nothing good came of it. my parents always told me that they were doing this because they loved me. i thought they were lying. i thought my parents hated me and when they spanked me i would act up even more. my friends little sister was spanked by her parents and she felt that they didnt love her. she began to hate herself and hate everything. she was 8 years old when she committed suicide, all because her parents spanked her! it does no justice for the child. it only messes them up emotionally...but like i said its your own personal opinion...

L

lightbliss

^^
I think more things contributed to her suicide than her getting spanked, no offence.

Also, I've noticed that the majority of people that are against spankings were A) never spanked or B) abused by their parents. When discipline is done correctly, whatever method a parent uses, the child IS NOT emotionally, mentally, physically, or spiritually scarred.

Some don't know when that line is crossed, while others just see spanking, in general, as abuse. Again, if done correctly it is not, nor does it cause arousal (?) I love my mom so much and guess what, she spanked me. It was positive. I'm sure if it actually was abuse, I wouldn't feel this way.

So while some have been abused, please don't base others experience of abuse on whether other children are being abused by their parents because they're spanked.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Pickles
Did your children ever see you angry or lashing out when they were children that wasn't at them but at something else? Also why was there a padlock on the fridge? I never had that as a kid I ate when I was hungry and didn't eat when I wasn't. Having a set 3 meals a day isn't healthy for you it's best to spread it out and have small snacks throughout the day. Also when food is always there it doesn't become something to focus on or indulge in. It's better to have your kids understand what hungry and full is and to eat when their bodies tell them to eat. Also a lot of the proublem with smart children is that they aren't challenged enough mentally and they get board so it's best to do things with them so they don't get board that also is mentally challenging so that they get what they need in developing. (sorry for the double post hope it's ok XD)
To an angry lashing out? No, all was always done with love and their well being. If anything there were times where we would have to leave the room to hide our smiles and giggles at their creativity.
The padalock was nessasary because our son loved to try and do things with food and expeariment with it. It was never a food issue. You have to understand that he was mentally capable of solving and thinking out things of a collage graduate,at two years of age.
I once found a whole chicken in the fish tank, he wanted the fish to have a snack.
While in hospital due to a serious reation to the anastisia he still mangaed to dismantle the equipment that was helping him breath. He would take apart simple battery toys at age three and reasemble them into his own design.
He has asleep disorder that caused him to awaken 20 plus times a night.I have not had a full nights sleep in 28 yrs. We now know it is sleep apnea.
Also, the lock on the fridge became nessasary for his protection. Saddly he managed to pick the lock.
We still do not know how he managed this to this day.
Wether one has a child like ours was, or simply strong willed child, a spank is sometimes the best answer. I know you believe this is wrong and I will not try to convince you otherwise. We all must live and do what we believe is best for our children.
But I believe that the same respect must be shown for those that trust other beliefs in disapline.
My children are grown now, all are kind gentle loving and caring people.
They are always first to offer help to another, and respect others and their needs.
Not all spanking is wrong, just as all who choose not to spank.
I believe it is the attitude of the parents and thier love in all they do that matters, and the respect and love they show in example, not only to others but to their children that matters.
When ones actions and faith are in Jesus all is a good work.
God bless, pickles

H

HumbleSaint

Jesus whipped the money changers in the temple.

The Bible says to spank a child, who am I to say I know of a better way to discipline a child then God?

fdpa24

Mar 5, 2009
Here's some resources for you BIBLICAL..

Proverbs 22:6 (NLT) "Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it."
Colossians 3:20 (NLT) "You children must always obey your parents, for this is what pleases the Lord."
Ephesians 6:2-3 (NLT) ""Honor your father and mother." This is the first of the Ten Commandments that ends with a promise. 3 And this is the promise: If you honor your father and mother, "you will live a long life, full of blessing.""
Proverbs 29:15 (NLT) "To discipline and reprimand a child produces wisdom, but a mother is disgraced by an undisciplined child."
Proverbs 23:13-14 (NLT) "Don't fail to correct your children. They won't die if you spank them. 14 Physical discipline may well save them from death."
Proverbs 22:15 (NLT) "A youngster's heart is filled with foolishness, but discipline will drive it away."
Proverbs 29:17 (NLT) "Discipline your children, and they will give you happiness and peace of mind."
Proverbs 13:18 (NIV) "He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored."
Proverbs 19:18 (NLT) "Discipline your children while there is hope. If you don't, you will ruin their lives."

SOME PRINCIPLES FOR DISCIPLINING CHILDREN
1.REALIZE THAT GOD GIVES PARENTS THE AUTHORITY TO DISCIPLINE THEIR CHILDREN. Yes, the family is the only institution that God gives such authority. No state, no school, no church has this right to usurp this authority except and unless the children are in some physical or extremely emotional danger of abuse (Col 3:30; Matt. 15:4; Exo. 21:15,17; Prov 30:17).
2.PARENTS ARE TO USE CORPORAL DISCIPLINE ON UNRULY, REBELLIOUS CHILDREN. The Bible's call and commands are evident as I read before. However, this is always to be the last measure, not the first. Learn to vary the forms of discipline. Use things such as "time out," loss of privileges, extra chores, monetary fines, etc., for these are valid means of disciplines that can be effective training procedures too (Prov 13:24; 19:18;23:13-14; 29:15,17).
3.WHEN USING CORPORAL DISCIPLINE, IT MUST NEVER BE DONE EXCEPT IN LOVE. We must remember the definition of discipline. It is loving correction and training for the good of the child. We must never discipline in anger, or when we have lost our temper and control. The Bible says in Hebrews 12:5-6 (NLT) "… "My child, don't ignore it when the Lord disciplines you, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you. 6 For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes those he accepts as his children."" Thus, a lack of Biblical discipline is really evidence of a lack of true care and love.
4.BEFORE USING CORPORAL DISCIPLINE BE SURE THE CHILD KNOWS THE RULES! Often a child disobeys simply because he or she does not clearly know the rules. Many homes have none established. Sit down with your children and pre-establish a set of infractions and disciplines for them. Let the child know before hand, what they will get if they disobey. Consistency of discipline is vital for a child to learn thereby (Prov 13:24).
5.PARENTS ARE TO EQUALLY SHARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF DISCIPLINING A CHILD. It is not always mom's job or dad's either. Never say, "wait till your father gets home." The most effective disciplines are carried out swiftly upon discovery of the infraction. However, when Dad is home God appoints him the deputy of the home and it is his responsibility to carry out loving discipline ( Joshua 24:15; 1 Tim 3:4-5).
6.VARY DISCIPLINE ACCORDING TO THE AGE OF YOUR CHILDREN. Now its not to early to swat a child's behind even in the first few months of life. A gentle but firm swat when a child display a temper tantrum sets the beginning understanding of training and limits of personal freedom. However, corporal discipline I believe is ineffective an inappropriate for a child who reaches the teen years. By then it is too late. The child stage of life that is from birth to the preteen years is when most behavioral patterns are established for life. These are the years parents maintain external controls until internal controls are established. Corrective and other disciplines establish them. By the teen years a child should have learned respect for authority, the rights of others, honesty, harmony, patience, self-control, the value of study and work, concern for others, personal contentment and the need to surrender to God's will for the ultimate happiness of life.
7.WHEN DISCIPLINING A CHILD, NEVER USE YOUR HAND. God gave us our hands to do good and bring joy into others lives. All physical discipline should be an external object such as a flat rounded edged paddle or a fine switch from a tree. Also, all physical discipline should always be on the "derrière," and no where else! Slapping a face, hitting above the belt, or on the legs are inappropriate and can cause deep and intense humiliation and even injury. We must never injure a child by discipline, never!! However the Bible does say, Proverbs 23:13-14 (NLT) "Don't fail to correct your children. They won't die if you spank them. 14 Physical discipline may well save them from death."
Proverbs 20:30 (NLT) "Physical punishment cleanses away evil; such discipline purifies the heart."
8.ALWAYS WHEN DISCIPLINING, BE SURE TO PHYSICALLY SHOW YOUR LOVE AND ACCEPTANCE FOR YOUR CHILD. After a discipline session is over, be sure to hug your child, pray with them and together, ask God to bless your relationship. A child needs to know that you loved him or her, before you disciplined them, and you disciplined them because you loved them, and now that it is over, you will love them always and forever. This is the message of the Bible to all fallen sinners. God never stops loving us ( Heb.12:5-6).

L

LilDreamer

lil-rush, I am in agreement with you. I do spank my children when they are deserving of it. I also use other methods such as making them run laps. I love my children dearly and they clearly know when they have pushed things too far. They are warned and told then a punishment will be decided.
When they are about 8 yrs old they begin to decide their punishment. My 11 yr old daughter would prefer to be spanked. She does learn her lesson, My younger boys usually lose their bikes, and the thirteen yr old loses games and internet privalige. However No is no the FIRST TIME, And OBEDIENCE is expected. You are welcome to ask my kids if they think my spankings are a cruel punishment. They are not; I do not spank when i am angry ever, and things are discussed. I have been blessed with my children and it is my job to train them.
There are also rules set in place 3 swats. Since they have been raised this way with limits and healthy boundries they know what is expected of them. As they have gotten older the spanking are less frequent and other disiplines are used. You really don't want to know what punishment we as a family have decided upon for lying. i don't think this is funny but there has to order and respect.

J

jimmydiggs

Lack of discipline in the home, has caused the United States a lot of problems. Go visit a public school. It is horrid. The teachers can't do anything. The kids aren't disciplined at home. No one learns.

T

tryingtofindhim

I don't think its right to spank your kids, but really its a personal choice. I do believe the Bible is clear on disciplining your child. Yes, the Bible does speak about using a rod, but its hard to say in proverbs whether its literal or figurative. So i guess its for your own interpretation. I guess. Its hard to say.

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
Proverbs 13:24 He who spares the rod hates his son,
but he who loves him is careful to discipline him

I think it's good to spank your child, aslong as the punishment fits the crime and its not done in anger :)