Is it wrong to invite a non-believer to Thanksgiving dinner?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

asil229

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'm in a terrible and very difficult situation at this time.
I’m currently going through a really difficult time with my mother in that she has denied a good friend of mine from joining us at our family thanksgiving dinner on the basis that he is atheist.
Why?

This person lives 5000 miles away, he has no relatives here and his friends have all flown back home for the weekend. Why should he not be welcome to dinner on “Thanksgiving”?

Is this right? Am I wrong?

S

suaso

I don't see what him being an atheist has to do with him also being a lonely guest in need of a loving host. Unless he plans on sitting at the table and muttering "there is no god there is not god..." during the whole meal, I dont see why his non-belief should be a problem. If anything, being with a loving Christian family on Thanksgiving might be good for him. I doubt that, as a guest, he is going to be itching to debate the idea of God or is going to mock your family and be condescending. He'll likely sit politely through any and all prayer before the meal and not even flinch everytime someone mentions God. People are people, and I'm sure he knows how to behave in a civil manner if invited.

Your mom, on the other hand, might be inclined to rub in his non-belief openly, based off of her already apparent attitude of not wanting him there. Not trying to offend you, but that is the impression I get at least. Oh well, if nothing, make him a plate and drive it over to him later.

M

motojojo

Some where I think the word says not to eat with the ungodly, but what would Jesus do. Honor your Mother and take him out for diner, and show him a Christ like love, and don't be harsh on your Mother she is the only one you have. I say this because she might be mad because you missed Thanksgiving Dinner.

Apr 23, 2009

I’m currently going through a really difficult time with my mother in that she has denied a good friend of mine from joining us at our family thanksgiving dinner on the basis that he is atheist.
Why?

This person lives 5000 miles away, he has no relatives here and his friends have all flown back home for the weekend. Why should he not be welcome to dinner on “Thanksgiving”?

Your mother is wrong we should be friendly to people showing the love of Chris. Christ Himself was scorned by the Pharisees for eating with sinners.

G

giantone

If the guest isn't Christian, they have no choice but to endure the Christian things that would be said during the time together, it's just respectful so there is no reason not to invite lonely people to thanksgiving. I'm sure Jesus would.

Oct 23, 2009
Happy Thanksgiving,

You haven’t told us very much. I have no problem “associating” with an atheist, though I would not become a close friend to one, I wouldn’t think, especially one of the opposite sex.

F

FixYourWeave

I dont believe your mother is right. I think it would be a great witness to invite him to Thanksgiving dinner, and show him gods love!

T

tryingtofindhim

Why?

I would say your mother is wrong. We aren't to shun non-Christians even Christ showed us that example. I have quite a few of non-Christian friends; I especially like it because I have avoided being uneducated and saying something dumb about someone else's religion. It would be nice to stop by your mom's and eat ( just to keep peace) and then go to this person's house and fellowship with them. :D

J

Jordan9

Your mom is completely in the wrong, I'm sorry to say.

And like watchmen said, atheists are the kind of people Jesus would eat with.

T

tryingtofindhim

Some where I think the word says not to eat with the ungodly, but what would Jesus do. Honor your Mother and take him out for diner, and show him a Christ like love, and don't be harsh on your Mother she is the only one you have. I say this because she might be mad because you missed Thanksgiving Dinner.
Psalms 1: Blessed is the man that doesn't walk in the presence of the ungodly nor hangs out with sinners nor sits in the seat of people who mock God. I don't think that means you shouldn't eat with the ungodly but make sure you don't develop habits from them. I will always say be careful being around people who mock God because God is a powerful God. :)

A

aplese

If you shun him, then stop calling yourself a Christian.

appleseed

M

Mordred

Doing a little research, you might come to understand that Atheists do believe in God, dispite their belief that they 'do not believe in God'. God, is a universal term for our heavenly father, and whenever it is used, it symbolizes Him. Now they don't have the same faith as you, or don't care to give God the time of day, you could almost solve the equation that they do, indeed, believe in God. This statement holds true when you see the countless 'atheists' in Christian chat rooms, chatting it up. They are there to debate their beliefs and learn about God. I mean I don't necessarily think that hard working men and women blast the Christian chat rooms with blasphemy just for a good nights deed.

C

charisenexcelcis

Charles Colson said: thanksgiving is that akward time of year when athiests give thanks to no one in particular.

M

Maddog

Happy Thanksgiving,

You haven’t told us very much. I have no problem “associating” with an atheist, though I would not become a close friend to one, I wouldn’t think, especially one of the opposite sex.
An atheist AND a woman!? Aye, you don't want to be mixing with them sorts.

May 21, 2009
Jesus came and gave his life for the sinners. We are here to help people be saved.

C

carpetmanswife

who do we think we are ? *many christians* ive heard some say .." hes gay , not welcome at MY house!":rolleyes: or " That drunk!! no way ! ...allow them to practice these things in my home..of course not but to say they arent even welcome to pass thru my threshold ..*tsk tsk* shakes finger*

M

Mordred

who do we think we are ? *many christians* ive heard some say .." hes gay , not welcome at MY house!":rolleyes: or " That drunk!! no way ! ...allow them to practice these things in my home..of course not but to say they arent even welcome to pass thru my threshold ..*tsk tsk* shakes finger*
but Gay's aren't allowed in my house.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.