Is masturbation a sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
1st, The context of Matt 5:30 begins in verse 27. It's adultery not masturbation!

2ndly, Unless you're masturbating to an audience. The following scripture say's: NO prosecutable sin has been committed.

Deuteronomy 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

Other supporting verses:

Matthew 18:16, 2 Corinthians 13:1, John 8:17, 1 Timothy 5:19, Hebrews 10:28, Numbers 35:30
It is adultery that manifests itself in masterbation. That is the result of lustfull desires. It could not be more clear. Matt 18 is the same.
Jesus has a message he is trying to say here. We are all dead in oor sins. If lust does not get you anger will or greed. None of us can escape. Finally Jesus says to be justified you must be perfect as God is perfect. Who can do that?
We can’t, only with Jesus’ righteousness can we be saved.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
It is adultery that manifests itself in masterbation. That is the result of lustfull desires. It could not be more clear. Matt 18 is the same.
Jesus has a message he is trying to say here. We are all dead in oor sins. If lust does not get you anger will or greed. None of us can escape. Finally Jesus says to be justified you must be perfect as God is perfect. Who can do that?
We can’t, only with Jesus’ righteousness can we be saved.

Matt :
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

Verse 27 context - ADULTERY

Verse 28 context - ADULTERY

Verse 31 context - ADULTERY

You hi-jack verse 30 & claim it to be; Quote: "The masturbation verse"

Verse 29 says: if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee:
Question: Ever see or heard of anyone rubbing one out with their eye? GEEZZZ

Finally: Since verse 30 says RIGHT hand. Then I guess the LEFT hand would be OK. Or surely Jesus would have said so.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Matt :
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

Verse 27 context - ADULTERY

Verse 28 context - ADULTERY

Verse 31 context - ADULTERY

You hi-jack verse 30 & claim it to be; Quote: "The masturbation verse"

Verse 29 says: if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee:
Question: Ever see or heard of anyone rubbing one out with their eye? GEEZZZ

Finally: Since verse 30 says RIGHT hand. Then I guess the LEFT hand would be OK. Or surely Jesus would have said so.
Ok.....

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Never for a masturbation, though. It was not even a thing to be mentioned at all on thousand pages of the OT.

Problem number one was adultery, having sex without marrige and having unnatural sex forms - animals, homosexuality.

The Bible begs to differ with you "trofimus."

Leviticus 15: (KJV)
16 And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even.

17 And every garment, and every skin, whereon is the seed of copulation, shall be washed with water, and be unclean until the even.

In verse 18, the distinction is made from a "single act" (masturbation), and a man and a woman (his wife) "having sex." Although, you would be correct, in the "obligatory cigarette" afterwards, not being mentioned. :p:p

18 The woman also with whom man shall lie with seed of copulation, they shall both bathe themselves in water, and be unclean until the even.

So, it seems God deemed "masturbation", in such a "trivial" manner, as a guy, or as in verse 18, BOTH of them, didn't even have to seek out a priest for attonement, nor, sacrifice!

In days of old, when knights were bold....Before toilets were invented.....You "shucked your corn", not (even) feeling forlorn...Washed your clothes, put 'em back on, and "air dried" til evening? And, ALL was GOOD!! ;)

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Thank you very much Placid. I cannot express how greatly I appreciate the fact that you have reached out to me and the thought you put into trying to help me with concrete suggestions for things I could start doing to shake off the gloomy excess of negativity and grow in my faith and the security of Christ’s love.
I am not able to write an extensive response right now, but I do like these ideas of yours and I think I will start reading Luke asap. I have read much of the Bible, including the Book of Matthew in addition to large portions of the other Gospels, the Epistles of Paul and a good portion of the OT.
Thanks again. It means a lot. I look forward to hearing your other suggestions at some point.
God bless.

Something you may wish to do, when you are feeling so down and depressed? PRAISE THE LORD, AND REJOICE! For these "persecutions" you are going through! EVERY TIME, you feel that way! The devil HATES it! (y)(y)

Placid

Sep 27, 2016
Hi,

These are some verses pertinent to the topic in 1 Thessalonians 4:
1 Finally then, brethren, we urge and exhort in the Lord Jesus that you should abound more and more, just as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God;
2 for you know what commandments we gave you through the Lord Jesus.
3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality;
4 that each of you should know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor,
5 not in passion of lust, like the Gentiles who do not know God;

Verse 4 in the Amplified Bible it says: 4 That each one of you should know how to possess (control, manage) his own body (vessel) in consecration (purity, separated from things profane) and in honor.

When I worked at a Christian Mission we had Bible studies and taught the Scriptures, and I counselled the men. There were women workers to counsel the ladies.

--- One day a girl came and asked to see me. She had worked at our Mission some time before so I knew her quite well.
Most Christian girls that go into ministry as she had done have good moral standards, as I knew she had.

--- We went into my office and she asked me this question, "Is it wrong for me to relieve myself? --- We had a short conversation, and I said, "Don't be too hard on yourself." Then this question came to mind, --- "Do you feel guilty when you do?" --- She thought about it and eventually said, "No," --- as though it was a realization to her.

My wife and I were both smokers. When we became Christians and got involved in the Church we knew this was something that had to go. --- We prayed about it and asked God to take it away.
When we willingly get ourselves involved in a habit which we have had for years, we like to ask God to take it away instantly. --- But it wasn't God's problem, it was ours.

However the Lord led us to do something that we have never heard others do in stopping, though we have told many. --- The Lord led us to have one cigarette each night before we went to bed for 30 days. --- Of course, last thing, because if you had it earlier in the day, you would want it again at night.
--- We did this for 30 days. To start with I would smoke it right down to the end. --- After about a week I noticed it didn't taste as good as it used to, but I would smoke it right down, knowing that was all till the next night. After about three weeks it wasn't even a pleasure to smoke it , but the body was still craving whatever it could get. --- At the end of the 30 day, we were ready to quit, and we did.
--- We didn't do it on our own, we followed the Lord's plan and the Lord honors obedience.

The question was, were we completely free of smoking. I think my wife fared better than I did. I guess it was kind of like giving up an old friend, --- but we quit. Praise the Lord!
--- I still had some craving while the body was getting used to being starved, and two or three times after we quit, I took a cigarette and smoked it. I was confessing it as my weakness, and the Lord gave the assurance, "Its okay, your body needed that." --- so, no, I didn't feel guilty.

--- The Lord is leading us on to higher ground so we need to go through some rough spots. We need the guidance of the Holy Spirit in everything we do. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

T

theanointedsinner

thy eternal pleasure is at thy right hand (Psalms 16:11)