Is Repentance Necessary For Salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

• Yes, Repentance is Forsaking Sin.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Repetnace is a mental agrement to turn from sin, but that does mean you have to be sinless or c

• Yes, Repentance is a mental agreement to not be your own God but it is not forsaking sin or confessi

• Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, and forsaking sin. It is a confession of eac

• Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, not confessing sin, and not forsaking sin.

• No, Repentance is not necessary for salvation because it is a work.

• No, (Other) (Please Explain).

• I don't know.

• Total voters
Jul 22, 2014

(a) Yes, Repentance is confessing and forsaking sin.
(b) Yes, Repentance is forsaking sin.
(c) Yes, Repentance is a mental agreement to walk away from sin and walk towards God.
(d) Yes, Repentance is a mental agreement to turn from sin, but that does not mean you have to be sinless or confess sin.
(e) Yes, Repentance is a mental agreement to not be your own God but it is not forsaking sin or confessing.
(f) Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, and forsaking sin. It is not a confession of each sin.
(g) Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, not confessing each sin & not forsaking sin.
(h) Yes, (Other) (Please explain).
(I) No, Repentance is not necessary for salvation because it is a work.
(j) No, Repentance is not necessary for you are saved of past, present, and future sins by belief.
(l) No, (Other) (Please explain)
(m) (Other) (Please explain)
(n) I don't know.

P

psychomom

here's how it is, Jason.

when God tracks us down and saves us, we repent.
repent being a change...we acknowledge we are sinners...we have not kept
His Law perfectly, as He justly requires.

we throw ourselves on the mercy of the Judge, and we find mercy. :)
(and grace to help in time of NEED)
that repentance is the change of mind we need to be saved, and GOD gives it to us.
we acknowledge we need Someone to save us, and lo and behold, there's the Lord Jesus. ♥

and then, oh, the miraculous Gift! our debt is cancelled! our sins forgiven!
we are perfectly loved by our perfect God, whom we now may call Abba...Father!
we have a Redeemer!

it's the Best. News. Ever. :)

Jul 22, 2014
How do you define Repentance?

I made a list above of different versions of how people view Repentance.

The Scriptures say Repentance is confession because we are told to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. Repentance is also defined as forsaking sin, too. In Matthew 12:41, Jesus says the Ninevites will rise up in judgment against this generation and condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. Jonah 3:9-10 defines this repentance as forsaking one's evil ways. Do you disagree with what the Bible says here?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2014
Anyways, please vote in the poll. Thank you.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Please trust in Christ for your salvation. You have this annoying habit of making up these long lists of alternatives, the kinds of supposed salvations, now the supposed kinds of repentances.

There is only one repentance!

"For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death." 2 Cor. 7:10

Try and focus on transformation. That is what repentance produces.

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
[SUP]2 [/SUP]Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" Romans 12:1-2

"And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." 2 Cor. 3:18

"Being transformed" is the word μεταμορφοῦσθε (metamorphousthe) is the same word used when Jesus was transfigured in Matt 17:2. It is the process of being changed from one thing (a sinner) to another (a saint saved by grace). Metamorphouthse is in the PASSIVE voice. That means it is something being done to us by the Holy Spirit. It is also in the Imperative tense, which means we are COMMANDED to let God change us into something new and beautiful.

As we follow Christ, we become more like him. THAT is the goal of our salvation, which is complete when we see Christ face to face.

"Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is." 1 John 3:2

"
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." 1 Cor. 13:12

You may not know Greek, but the PASSIVE VOICE (in English or Greek) means that something is being done to us. Just like God is doing the justifying in Romans 5:1, God is the one transforming us.

God saves! God justifies! God sanctifies! God transforms us! God glorifies us!

Not of works, that anyone should boast!

Jan 27, 2013
when did they repent to get the holy spirit. (cornelius or the Ethiopian Eunuch) (acts 8 and 10. )

16 That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring---not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all,17 as it is written,
Romans 4

propaganda never saved either.

Last edited:
P

psychomom

How do you define Repentance?

I made a list above of different versions of how people view Repentance.

The Scriptures say Repentance is confession because we are told to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. Repentance is also defined as forsaking sin, too. In Matthew 12:41, Jesus says the Ninevites will rise up in judgment against this generation and condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. Jonah 3:9-10 defines this repentance as forsaking one's evil ways. Do you disagree with what the Bible says here?
'course not. :)

but it's God's work in us. He grants us the power to see ourselves as we truly are.
He grants us the power to forsake our old ways and nature.
He grants us the power to change.

it's all of His amazing grace and all to His great glory. :)

Jul 22, 2014
Repentance and Forgiveness

When Jesus preached the gospel, "The kingdom of God is at hand," he called for a response: "Repent, and believe in the gospel." What does "repent" mean?

The meaning of "repent" is found in Jesus' parable of the "prodigal son" (Luke 15:11-24) as follows:

"And he (Jesus) said, "There was a man who had two sons; and the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the share of the property that falls to me (by inheritance).' And he (the father) divided his living between them. "Not many days later, the younger son gathered all that he had and took his journey to a far country, and there he squandered his property in loose living. And when he had spent everything, a great famine arose in that country, and he began to be in want. "So he went and joined himself to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would gladly have fed on the pods that the swine ate; and no one gave him anything.

"But when he came to himself he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have bread enough and to spare, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me as one of your hired servants.' "And he arose and came to his father. But while he was yet at a distance, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.

"And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' But the father said to his servants, 'Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet; and bring the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and make merry; for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.' And they began to make merry."

The parable of the "prodigal son" illustrates the process and meaning of "repentance." The process began when the young son recognized his wrong-doing against his father. The son had shown disrespect for his father by squandering the property that his father had given to him.

Next came the son's decision to turn away from his wrong-doing and confess his sin with an attitude of contrition (feeling sorry for what he had done). The son said to himself, "I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son."

Then came the son's actual change in direction in his life and his confession of wrong-doing ("And he arose and came to his father....and the son said to him, 'I have sinned....'").

The son's confession of sin was made to his father who had been hurt by his son's bad behavior, and the son was willing to make amends by working as a "hired servant." Of course, the father's response was forgiveness and rejoicing ("for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found").

Dictionaries define "repent" as "to feel sorry for sin and seek forgiveness." Granted, every believer's situation is different, but according to the parable of the prodigal son we can see that his repentance was shown in the following order:

1. The recognition of and acceptance of personal responsibility for sin.
2. A sincere feeling of remorse and sorrow for having sinned.
3. A conscious decision to stop the wrong-doing.
4. An actual "turning away from" the sin. This is a change of direction in behavior.
5. A confession of sin and a humble request for forgiveness. The request for forgiveness is made to the one who has been hurt by the sin.
6. An offer to make amends for the hurt that was caused by the sin.

In other words, the point of this parable is showing us that Repentance is not just an intellectual exercise of "feeling sorry" for sins. Repentance involves a "turning" or "reorientation" of one's life. The evidence of that change is seen in the "fruit," or how a person lives. John the Baptist told those who came to confess their sins that they must "bear fruit that befits (evidences) repentance" (Matthew 3:8). The parable of the "prodigal son" also teaches us that we are sinning against God "our Father" if we squander the life that we have received. God expects us to invest ourselves to produce something good in the world.

Jesus said something else about repentance in the parable of the "unmerciful servant" (Matthew 18:23-35) as follows:

"Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began the reckoning, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents (a large amount of money); and as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment be made.
"So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, "Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' And out of pity for him the lord of that servant released him and forgave him the debt.

"But that same servant, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii (a small amount of money); and seizing him by the throat he said, 'Pay what you owe.' So his fellow servant fell down and besought him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' He refused (to have patience) and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. "When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place.

"Then the lord summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' And in his anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt."

Jesus said, "So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart." In this parable, when a servant failed to pay what he owed the king, the servant fell down on his knees and asked for the king's "patience." The king had mercy on the servant and forgave him of his large debt. But this same servant refused to show mercy and forgive a fellow servant who owed him a small debt. The king condemned the servant who refused to forgive his fellow servant. Jesus' point is clear. If we repent of sins, God will forgive us in the same way that we are willing to forgive those who sin against us. In the prayer that Jesus taught his disciples, Jesus makes this same point: "And forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us" (Luke 11:4).

The parable of the "unmerciful servant" tells us that God will forgive our sins (1) if we repent and ask God to forgive us and (2) if we are willing to forgive others who sin against us.

Jesus said, "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him; and if he sins against you seven times in a day and turns to you seven times, and says, 'I repent,' you must forgive him (Luke 17:3-4). Again, Jesus said, "If you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses" (Matthew 6:14-15).

The parables of the "prodigal son" and the "unmerciful servant" teach us something else about repentance and forgiveness. While we should ask God to forgive us of our sins, we should also ask forgiveness from any person who has suffered because of our sin, if that person is available. Repentance and forgiveness are not limited to our relationship to God but, in many instances, can and should take place in our relationships with other human beings.

Source Used:

Last edited:
P

psychomom

well, i s'pose it all depends on whether or not one believes God is Sovereign in salvation...
as in all things. :)

Dec 12, 2013
Repentance means to change your mind and agree with God......rather simple...that you are a SINNER and need the blood of Christ and Faith of Christ to save you and bring forgiveness of sins...ALL SINS......!

Jan 27, 2013

When Jesus preached the gospel, "The kingdom of God is at hand," he called for a response: "Repent, and believe in the gospel." What does "repent" mean?

The meaning of "repent" is found in Jesus' parable of the "prodigal son" (Luke 15:11-24) as follows:

"And he (Jesus) said, "There was a man who had two sons; and the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the share of the property that falls to me (by inheritance).' And he (the father) divided his living between them.
"Not many days later, the younger son gathered all that he had and took his journey to a far country, and there he squandered his property in loose living. And when he had spent everything, a great famine arose in that country, and he began to be in want. "So he went and joined himself to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would gladly have fed on the pods that the swine ate; and no one gave him anything.

"But when he came to himself he said, 'How many of my father's hired servants have bread enough and to spare, but I perish here with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me as one of your hired servants.' "And he arose and came to his father. But while he was yet at a distance, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.

"And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' But the father said to his servants, 'Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet; and bring the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and make merry; for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.' And they began to make merry."

The parable of the "prodigal son" illustrates the process and meaning of "repentance." The process began when the young son recognized his wrong-doing against his father. The son had shown disrespect for his father by squandering the property that his father had given to him.

Next came the son's decision to turn away from his wrong-doing and confess his sin with an attitude of contrition (feeling sorry for what he had done). The son said to himself, "I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son."

Then came the son's actual change in direction in his life and his confession of wrong-doing ("And he arose and came to his father....and the son said to him, 'I have sinned....'").

The son's confession of sin was made to his father who had been hurt by his son's bad behavior, and the son was willing to make amends by working as a "hired servant."
Of course, the father's response was forgiveness and rejoicing ("for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found").

Dictionaries define "repent" as "to feel sorry for sin and seek forgiveness." Granted, every believer's situation is different, but according to the parable of the prodigal son we can see that his repentance was shown in the following order:

4. An actual "turning away from" the sin. This is a change of direction in behavior.
5. A confession of sin and a humble request for forgiveness. The request for forgiveness is made to the one who has been hurt by the sin.

In other words, the point of this parable is showing us that Repentance is not just an intellectual exercise of "feeling sorry" for sins. Repentance involves a "turning" or "reorientation" of one's life. The evidence of that change is seen in the "fruit," or how a person lives. John the Baptist told those who came to confess their sins that they must "bear fruit that befits (evidences) repentance" (Matthew 3:8). The parable of the "prodigal son" also teaches us that we are sinning against God "our Father" if we squander the life that we have received. God expects us to invest ourselves to produce something good in the world.

Jesus said something else about repentance in the parable of the "unmerciful servant" (Matthew 18:23-35) as follows:

"Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began the reckoning, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents (a large amount of money); and as he could not pay, his lord ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment be made.
"So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, "Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' And out of pity for him the lord of that servant released him and forgave him the debt.

"But that same servant, as he went out, came upon one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii (a small amount of money); and seizing him by the throat he said, 'Pay what you owe.' So his fellow servant fell down and besought him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' He refused (to have patience) and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. "When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their lord all that had taken place.

"Then the lord summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' And in his anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt."

Jesus said, "So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."
In this parable, when a servant failed to pay what he owed the king, the servant fell down on his knees and asked for the king's "patience." The king had mercy on the servant and forgave him of his large debt. But this same servant refused to show mercy and forgive a fellow servant who owed him a small debt. The king condemned the servant who refused to forgive his fellow servant. Jesus' point is clear. If we repent of sins, God will forgive us in the same way that we are willing to forgive those who sin against us. In the prayer that Jesus taught his disciples, Jesus makes this same point: "And forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us" (Luke 11:4).

The parable of the "unmerciful servant" tells us that God will forgive our sins (1) if we repent and ask God to forgive us and (2) if we are willing to forgive others who sin against us.

Jesus said, "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him; and if he sins against you seven times in a day and turns to you seven times, and says, 'I repent,' you must forgive him (Luke 17:3-4). Again, Jesus said, "If you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses" (Matthew 6:14-15).

The parables of the "prodigal son" and the "unmerciful servant" teach us something else about repentance and forgiveness. While we should ask God to forgive us of our sins, we should also ask forgiveness from any person who has suffered because of our sin, if that person is available. Repentance and forgiveness are not limited to our relationship to God but, in many instances, can and should take place in our relationships with other human beings.

Source Used:
at the end of matt who was put on the cross.
jesus back in heaven (alive )
new covenant started acts 2 and acts 15 asks what law are they to repent of.

28 And he said to them, "You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit anyone of another nation, but God has shown me that I should not call any person common or unclean.

who told the gentile the law of moses?

about 10 years(acts 10) before acts 15 (48 ad )

historians, you got to love them too.

Last edited:

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Just so you know, Jason. I don't read long copy and pastes.

Please put it in your own words, preferably with Scripture verses!

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Paul preached it

Jul 22, 2014
Please trust in Christ for your salvation. You have this annoying habit of making up these long lists of alternatives, the kinds of supposed salvations, now the supposed kinds of repentances.

There is only one repentance!

"For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death." 2 Cor. 7:10

Try and focus on transformation. That is what repentance produces.

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. [SUP]2 [/SUP]Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" Romans 12:1-2

"And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." 2 Cor. 3:18

"Being transformed" is the word μεταμορφοῦσθε (metamorphousthe) is the same word used when Jesus was transfigured in Matt 17:2. It is the process of being changed from one thing (a sinner) to another (a saint saved by grace). Metamorphouthse is in the PASSIVE voice. That means it is something being done to us by the Holy Spirit. It is also in the Imperative tense, which means we are COMMANDED to let God change us into something new and beautiful.

As we follow Christ, we become more like him. THAT is the goal of our salvation, which is complete when we see Christ face to face.

"Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is." 1 John 3:2

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." 1 Cor. 13:12

You may not know Greek, but the PASSIVE VOICE (in English or Greek) means that something is being done to us. Just like God is doing the justifying in Romans 5:1, God is the one transforming us.

God saves! God justifies! God sanctifies! God transforms us! God glorifies us!

Not of works, that anyone should boast!

Not going to repeat myself. I do not believe in Works Salvation. I argued with Works Salvationists before. I don't believe we are saved by Works. We are saved by Grace. But Repentance is not a work. Repentance is the result in having a Godly sorrow. That is what 2 Corinthians 7:10 says. Godly Sorrow leads to Repentance unto salvation. Sorry about what? Sorry you sinned. So when you are sorry about your sin before God, what are you going to naturally do? You are going to confess or acknowledge your sin to God and strive to make ammends with God to never sin again. If you do sin, you have God to help you to stop in your sinning. For one can only turn from their sin if they are regenerated spirtually (of which you pointed out and of which I agree). But let's not kid each other here. If you repent, believe the gospel, and accept Jesus as your Savior (Whereby you are born again spiritualy and are saved), you cannot go back to your old way of life and think you are saved. To do so would be to UN-repent. This is not to say that you will be perfect in our Christian lives. However, Jesus does call us unto perfection, though. But yes, believers have sinned. David surely sinned. But David did not say as a sinner and continue to live life as he pleased when he repented of his sin of murder and adultery. David said not to take God's Holy Spirit from him when he repented. Now, why would David say that? If OSAS is true, then he could not say that.

Jan 27, 2013
Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Paul preached it
paul telle of his conversion.
5 And I said, 'Who are you, Lord?' And the Lord said, 'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting.16 But rise and stand upon your feet, for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you as a servant and witness to the things in which you have seen me and to those in which I will appear to you,17 delivering you from your people and from the Gentiles---to whom I am sending you18 to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.'
Acts 9: The Conversion of Saul
ware did it say they had to repent for there sins.

acts 15 is about here in the time line.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2014
Just so you know, Jason. I don't read long copy and pastes.

Please put it in your own words, preferably with Scripture verses!
While the heart of repentance is feeling sorry for your sin and seeking forgiveness (Which is true Biblically), in the Parable of the Prodigal Son's case: We see a more complex development of repentance.

Again, this is not an exact model sequentially for all who repent; For repentance can be a little more basic then this; However, what this list shows us the important steps that can be recognized by the Prodigal Son's repentance. They are steps for our learning. If you want to see his explanation in Scripture (or if you cannot find these steps yourself), then read the first half of the article.

Last edited:
P

psychomom

Jason, people can have 'older brother syndrome', too.

Jul 22, 2014
Repentance means to change your mind and agree with God......rather simple...that you are a SINNER and need the blood of Christ and Faith of Christ to save you and bring forgiveness of sins...ALL SINS......!
So you admit that Repentance is merely an acknowledgment that you are a sinner, but you don't really need to confess and or forsake your sin because it is forgiven past, present, and future? Is that what you are saying?

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
5 And I said, 'Who are you, Lord?' And the Lord said, 'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting.16 But rise and stand upon your feet, for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you as a servant and witness to the things in which you have seen me and to those in which I will appear to you,17 delivering you from your people and from the Gentiles---to whom I am sending you18 to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.'

Oh so you dont think he preached for people to repent, thats a bad word with some?

Jul 22, 2014

Granted, I do not believe you, but from what you wrote here it sounds to me like you are saying repentance is not necessary for conversion or salvation.