Is Repentance Necessary For Salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is Repentance Necessary For Salvation?

• Yes, Repentance is Forsaking Sin.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Repetnace is a mental agrement to turn from sin, but that does mean you have to be sinless or c

• Yes, Repentance is a mental agreement to not be your own God but it is not forsaking sin or confessi

• Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, and forsaking sin. It is a confession of eac

• Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, not confessing sin, and not forsaking sin.

• No, Repentance is not necessary for salvation because it is a work.

• No, (Other) (Please Explain).

• I don't know.

• Total voters
Jul 22, 2014
Oh, and by the way, don't forget to vote in the poll, folks. Thank you and may God bless you.

Dec 12, 2013
So you admit that Repentance is merely an acknowledgment that you are a sinner, but you don't really need to confess and or forsake your sin because it is forgiven past, present, and future? Is that what you are saying?
I suggest you re-read what I wrote as I did not imply nor state what you assume.....I simply stated the basic definition of repent.....!

Lets see.....

Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.....<---who preached this and I don't see your added words in the text!

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
Jesus chose Paul to be a vessel that bear his name

As was said to Paul,

The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.

Whereas here in in Ezekiel, it says if you dont warn a man... his blood will I require at thine hand.

Whereas Paul says this about the blood of all men ...

Acts 20:26 Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.

Acts 20:27 For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.

And Paul preached to them to depart from iniquity
2Ti 2:19 knowing full well Jesus said he would say to many in that day to depart from me ye who work inquity Mat 7:23

Acts 3:26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Even as the Lord knoweth them that are his. And, said, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
2Ti 2:19

He warned every man

Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

And here also,

Acts 24:24
And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ.

Acts 25:25 And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

Felix aparently heard a message that made him uncomfortable

Same wording is found in the verses you posted as with Paul, whereas they warned if you live after the flesh you will die, but if through the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body ye shall live.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2014
I suggest you re-read what I wrote as I did not imply nor state what you assume.....I simply stated the basic definition of repent.....!

Lets see.....

Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.....<---who preached this and I don't see your added words in the text!
You said repentance is an acknowledgment that you are a sinner. You also said in another part of the forum that you are forgiven of sins, past, present, and future. Mind explaining how these two belief systems connect with each other in relation to repentance? What option in the poll would you vote for? Or is your view of repentance something different? If so, please explain.

K

Kerry

Depends on what church you go to. If you dunk your head in water in the presence of a pastor, then no you don't have to repent. You can go back to doing what you did before.

B

BradC

How do you define Repentance?

I made a list above of different versions of how people view Repentance.

The Scriptures say Repentance is confession because we are told to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. Repentance is also defined as forsaking sin, too. In Matthew 12:41, Jesus says the Ninevites will rise up in judgment against this generation and condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. Jonah 3:9-10 defines this repentance as forsaking one's evil ways. Do you disagree with what the Bible says here?
At Pentecost repentance for the gathered Jews was to turn from their rejection of Christ and believe upon him. Many needed to turn from the law of righteousness unto the Son of righteousness and believe in the name of Jesus Christ. Peter did not make the remission of sins the issue but he made their unbelief in Christ the issue which is what they needed to turn from (Acts 2:21-38) and when they turned they would receive remission of sins. In (Acts 10:27-48) Peter preached Christ to the Gentiles in the house of Cornelius and told them if they believed on the name of Christ they would have remission of sins. Repentance of sins was never mentioned in that house with any who heard the message of Christ. In (Acts 3) those Jews whom Peter preached were chided as killing the Prince of Life and were exhorted to repent and be converted of their rejection of Christ and have their sins blotted out. Most references in the NT concerning the gospel that contain any form of the word repent or repentance have to do with unbelief in Christ and when turning unto Christ from their unbelief they would receive remission of sins.

Jul 22, 2014
A person has to be sorry about their sin at some point when they accept Christ as their Savior. Otherwise why do you need a Savior? What are you being saved from? You need a Savior because you are a sinner. If you don't feel sorry about your sin, then you will just continue to sin. Godly sorrow leads to repentance unto salvation. A change where you feel sorry for your sin and desire not to sin against God anymore. Just because the Bible does not mention people eating food does not mean they didn't eat food. Just because the Bible doesn't mention people repenting of their sins does not mean that they didn't do so. The Scriptures are clear that repentance is a necessary step in salvation. No repentance = No salvation.

Break it down into more simpler terms.

Do you tell someone you are sorry and try to make ammends with a person you love that you feel you have sinned against? Yes, of course you would, unless you didn't want to get right with that person. Why would it be any different with God?

Last edited:

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Let's try this ONE more time.

Repentance - to turn away from your sins.

But more important - to turn TOWARDS Jesus.

If you just turn away from your sins you are nothing more than a legalist. You are just trying to save yourself by works.

"For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death." 2 cor. 7:10

ἀμεταμέλητον or ametameyeton, is a verbal adjective that means "Not to be regretted". It refers to both repentance and salvation, ie "repentance unto salvation."

Please remember that although repentance is essential, it has to always point us to Jesus. If it does, not it is not true, Biblical repentance.

"And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” Acts 19:4

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
I did a post on what I see showing the two kinds of repentences

I'll copy paste it from that thread to here, I think this shows two pretty good.

The two accounts also seem to show the differences between godly sorrow (as was worked inZaccheaus life) and worldly sorrow (as shown in the Rich young rulers life)

For example, it says, The publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.

So Zacchaeus (a chief publican) would be shown as one who believed John

Even as Jesus said,

Mat 21:32
For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

And
Zacchaeus is found Johns teachings (in what he did) even as the people asked John here

Luke 3:10
And the people asked him saying,

What shall we do then?

Luke 3:11
He answereth and saith unto them,

He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.

Luke 3:12
Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do?

Luke 3:13
And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.

Luke 3:14
And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do?

And he said unto them,

Do violence to no man, neither accuse
any falsely; and be content with your wages.

All
the people were in expectation, and Zacchaeus was no exception as he was of those that hath believed John

He wanted to see Jesus he couldnt being a man of small stature, he climbed into a tree, Jesus noticed him told him to come on down as he would stay with him (in breif)

Again we know the publicans believed John (Jesus said) and John taught them

Luke 19:2
And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich.

Recall, two coats (in John) 2-1 coat (to him that hath none)?

Zacchaeus believing John is doing works meet for repentance

Acts 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor;

This is where I see Johns two coats impart to him that hath none = Zacchaeus's half my goods to the Lord in this display.

John also said,

Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages. Luke 3:14

And Zacchaeus continues, saying,

and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore
him fourfold.

Johns teaching being displayed in this publicans life (who believed John) that makes more sense as to what he did do.

These were as works meet for repentance,

And so Jesus (who comes after John) even in this very picture says to him right after

Luke 19:9
And Jesus said unto him,

This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

Just fits with godly sorrow

2 Cr 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of

And again after this thing Jesus said ,

This day is salvation come to this house (and he was reccognized as a son of Abraham)

In contrast to the worldly sorrow found in the rich young ruler (shown as in the pharisees) becauseunlike the publicans who believed and were baptized by John

It says,

Luke 7:30
But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

We know the story, all these have I kept, what lack I?

Mat 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Mat 19:22
But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

Even as sorrow of the world worketh death

Just as godly sorrow (as was worked in the life of Zacchaeus) which did not need to be repented of this one does. The second half of the verse posted behind Zacchaeus would apply here

2Cr 7:10
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: (in Zacchaeus)

but (as seen in the rich young rule) the sorrow of the world worketh death.

And he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things
that are in the world.

If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Thats what I was looking at as well

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I feel as if before I think about answering the question, I need to work out why it's even a question in the first place :(

K

Kerry

Matthew 7
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

who is the rock?

We must repent and in the english that word means to re top or return to the top. Think of a pent-house. It is the top house. Repent means to return to the top and put away your sinful deeds. But how is that possible? By faith in the work of the cross and not your works.

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
I didn't see this option.....?

Option (z) aka other.
No, it is a false way to believe that a true false believe that a no, than other than that repentance is not so true unless the false repentance comes other than the true false comes from observing this to be false in every true repentance that is false to any other than the false is remaining true in all repentance.:D

Feb 21, 2012
How do you define Repentance?

I made a list above of different versions of how people view Repentance.

The Scriptures say Repentance is confession because we are told to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance. Repentance is also defined as forsaking sin, too. In Matthew 12:41, Jesus says the Ninevites will rise up in judgment against this generation and condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. Jonah 3:9-10 defines this repentance as forsaking one's evil ways. Do you disagree with what the Bible says here?
Repentance: Strong's Concordance

metanoia meaning a change of mind, as it appears to one who repents, of a purpose he has formed or of something he has done; from metanoeo meaning to change one's mind, i.e. to repent; to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins [from the root words meta meaning with, after, behind; and noeo meaning to perceive with the mind, to understand, to have understanding, to think upon, heed, ponder, consider]

When one hears the word of God and believes what he hears - faith blooms in his heart - faith and love enter in where before there was emptiness - he turns to the one who died for him - the one who loved him first - he has a change of mind from being an unbeliever and hating his life and the way he has been living to believing in the only begotten Son of God and he is born into the household of God.

I didn't vote because I didn't see any thing that resembled that definition. One does not have to change before one receives salvation. Just as I am . . . . . Come as you are . . .

P

psychomom

I didn't see this option.....?

Option (z) aka other.
No, it is a false way to believe that a true false believe that a no, than other than that repentance is not so true unless the false repentance comes other than the true false comes from observing this to be false in every true repentance that is false to any other than the false is remaining true in all repentance.:D
i'm a little nervous about all that starting to make sense to me.....;)

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
In my opinion, repentance is necessary for salvation, but after repentance, we make sin again.

repentance not make us sin free. We need daily repentance.

If one able to repent and never sin anymore. that is great but I am not. I want to repent and be holy, but my flesh not doing what my spirit want.

Jan 7, 2015
I believe repentance is a part of salvation, but I have a question for the OP. Which comes first, repentance, or salvation?

K

Kerry

In my opinion, repentance is necessary for salvation, but after repentance, we make sin again.

repentance not make us sin free. We need daily repentance.

If one able to repent and never sin anymore. that is great but I am not. I want to repent and be holy, but my flesh not doing what my spirit want.
What was it that Jesus said oh yes " take up your cross daily"

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
I believe repentance is a part of salvation, but I have a question for the OP. Which comes first, repentance, or salvation?
It says the gifts and callings of God are without repentance

Although we are to account that the longsuffering of the Lord is salvation its also his goodness that leadeth us to repentence. He is longsuffering to us-ward, in that He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Repentance seems to be the goal of the former

His goodness leads us in to it and His longersuffering is toward us (even that which we are to account as salvation).

His longsuffering toward us is that he not willing that we should perish but there is still an objective, that we should all come to repentance.

Peter says the longsuffering waited in the days of Noah which "were sometime disobedient" even while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

We are to come to the obedience of the faith, thats what Paul said he was given the grace for (even for them to be a partaker in his) to make obedient all nations in word and in deed. Even as the grace of God teaching us that
denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.

K

Kerry

The gifts and calling of God is without repentance. This means that God will not repent of the gifts given nor the calling. That is on His part.

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
The gifts and calling of God is without repentance. This means that God will not repent of the gifts given nor the calling. That is on His part.
Gifts and callings are the drawing, and His goodness toward us, but his goodness has a destination for us and that is repentance, because he is good and willing to teach sinners his ways. But we arent to stay that way but to walk as Jesus walked.

These might show it better, notice the rebellious in the first verse? When he ascended he recieved gifts (from the Father) for men , so it shows the gifts and callings without, but that is still one of the goals

Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive:thou hast received gifts for men;
yea, for the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them.

For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.

Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering;

Not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness;but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.