Is Repentance Necessary For Salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is Repentance Necessary For Salvation?

• Yes, Repentance is Forsaking Sin.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Repetnace is a mental agrement to turn from sin, but that does mean you have to be sinless or c

• Yes, Repentance is a mental agreement to not be your own God but it is not forsaking sin or confessi

• Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, and forsaking sin. It is a confession of eac

• Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, not confessing sin, and not forsaking sin.

• No, Repentance is not necessary for salvation because it is a work.

• No, (Other) (Please Explain).

• I don't know.

• Total voters

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
It says the gifts and callings of God are without repentance

Although we are to account that the longsuffering of the Lord is salvation its also his goodness that leadeth us to repentence. He is longsuffering to us-ward, in that He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Repentance seems to be the goal of the former

His goodness leads us in to it and His longersuffering is toward us (even that which we are to account as salvation).

His longsuffering toward us is that he not willing that we should perish but there is still an objective, that we should all come to repentance.

Peter says the longsuffering waited in the days of Noah which "were sometime disobedient" even while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

We are to come to the obedience of the faith, thats what Paul said he was given the grace for (even for them to be a partaker in his) to make obedient all nations in word and in deed. Even as the grace of God teaching us that
denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.

I don't quite understand what you try to say.

Do you believe salvation without repentance ?

K

Kerry

gifts from men? what can I give God other than my faith?

K

Kerry

what are the gifts. and what are the fruits?

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
Kerry read carefully Jesus RECEIVED OF THE FATHER GIFTS ((((FOR )))) MEN

Every good gift comes dow from the Father. When Jesus ascended he received to (((SHED FORTH)))

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
Might be a littlet clearer looking st these positionally

Psalm 68:18 THOU hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: THOU HAST RECEIVED gifts FOR men; yea, FOR the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them.

Acts 2:33 Therefore being BY the right hand of God exalted, and HAVING RECEIVED OF the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, HE hath shed forth this, which ye NOW see and hear.

Ephes 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When HE ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, AND GAVE gifts unto men.

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto youfrom the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Acts 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having receivedof the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Last edited:
K

Kerry

Kerry read carefully Jesus RECEIVED OF THE FATHER GIFTS ((((FOR )))) MEN

Every good gift comes dow from the Father. When Jesus ascended he received to (((SHED FORTH)))
I will not leave you alone for the comforter shall come and teach you all things. The gifts of the Spirit and the fruits of the Spirit. You can't give God anything. He gives it to you.

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
I don't quite understand what you try to say.

Do you believe salvation without repentance ?
Which verse did I mention that is giving that impression? Repentance should accompany salvation, the gifts and callings are without repentance it says, but the objective is repentance.

Check it and to post 40 to see the verses I believe

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
I will not leave you alone for the comforter shall come and teach you all things. The gifts of the Spirit and the fruits of the Spirit. You can't give God anything. He gives it to you.
We are destitute he isnt

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Which verse did I mention that is giving that impression? Repentance should accompany salvation, the gifts and callings are without repentance it says, but the objective is repentance.

Check it and to post 40 to see the verses I believe
OK brother. You believe salvation need repentance but gifts don't need it.

What do you mean by gifts ?

ISeeYou

Jan 8, 2015
OK brother. You believe salvation need repentance but gifts don't need it.

What do you mean by gifts ?
Im a sister and not a brother (see pink name)?

I dont understand your sentence

Which verse that I posted you are having a problem with, but I am not a teacher.

I will post verses and each one can deal with them according to how they searched it out

Theres plenty of folks here who would love to be your teacher, but I am not a teacher, so please pick a verse and take it to them. I just post verses.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Im a sister and not a brother (see pink name)?

I dont understand your sentence

Which verse that I posted you are having a problem with, but I am not a teacher.

I will post verses and each one can deal with them according to how they searched it out

Theres plenty of folks here who would love to be your teacher, but I am not a teacher, so please pick a verse and take it to them. I just post verses.
sorry for call you brother.

The impression is not come from verse, but from the topic. Is repentance necessary for salvation.

Then I assume that gifts in your sentence mean gift of salvation. If my assumption wrong than I am sorry.

JGIG

Aug 2, 2013
Repentance and Forgiveness

. . . .

Source Used:
Jason, why are you quoting from a Christian Deist site, a site which denies the Deity of Christ?

I would consider ANYTHING from such a site suspect. If they get that paramount core issue wrong, how can anything else they say be trusted?

-JGIG

JGIG

Aug 2, 2013
Repentance means to change your mind and agree with God......rather simple...that you are a SINNER and need the blood of Christ and Faith of Christ to save you and bring forgiveness of sins...ALL SINS......!
Bingo. Well stated :).

-JGIG

Jul 22, 2014
It says the gifts and callings of God are without repentance

Although we are to account that the longsuffering of the Lord is salvation its also his goodness that leadeth us to repentence. He is longsuffering to us-ward, in that He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Repentance seems to be the goal of the former

His goodness leads us in to it and His longersuffering is toward us (even that which we are to account as salvation).

His longsuffering toward us is that he not willing that we should perish but there is still an objective, that we should all come to repentance.

Peter says the longsuffering waited in the days of Noah which "were sometime disobedient" even while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

We are to come to the obedience of the faith, thats what Paul said he was given the grace for (even for them to be a partaker in his) to make obedient all nations in word and in deed. Even as the grace of God teaching us that
denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world.

<----- Very good answer. Thank you.

JGIG

Aug 2, 2013
Originally Posted by Jason0047

. . . .

Source Used:
Jason, why are you quoting from a Christian Deist site, a site which denies the Deity of Christ?

I would consider ANYTHING from such a site suspect. If they get that paramount core issue wrong, how can anything else they say be trusted?

-JGIG
An excerpt from the 'A Man Named Jesus' page on the above site:

Jesus took this risk and was crucified by the Romans. Although Jesus survived his crucifixion, at least for some days, his cross became a symbol of unconditional love for others and a commitment to the mission of spreading the gospel of God. Jesus said to his disciples, "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:12-13).

Later, a man named Paul misinterpreted the meaning of Jesus' crucifixion. Paul believed that Jesus died on the cross as a sacrifice to pay a death penalty on behalf of humankind to save people from the "wrath" of God. Paul believed that Jesus was a divine and sinless being who sacrificed his life as a "substitute" to atone (make amends) for the sins of humankind, like a "ram without blemish" was sacrificed as a "guilt offering" to God in the Jewish temple, 2,000 years ago (Leviticus 6:6-7).

Today, the so-called "substitutionary theory of the atonement" is based on Paul's belief.

But Jesus saw himself only as a "man who has told you the truth which I heard from God" (John 8:40) and Jesus did not see his cross as a "substitute" for anyone. In fact, Jesus made it very clear that he expected his disciples to risk their own lives if they chose to follow him. Jesus said, "Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:27).

Here, Jesus is clearly saying that a person must be prepared to pay whatever it costs to live by the commandments -- to love God and neighbor. The cost to Jesus was crucifixion. However, it is our willingness to bear our own cross (whatever it may be) that identifies each of us as a disciple of Jesus. The cross of Jesus serves as an example to be followed; it does not serve as a substitute to save us from anything.​

Jesus didn't die to save us from anything?

Really?

And you're using this site a source?

Please rethink.

-JGIG

Jul 22, 2014

-JGIG
Well, just because Catholics are not a true church of God does not mean they don't teach truth on other topics such as the Trinity and that Jesus is God. So that does not mean the article is not teaching something that is not true. Granted, I will not willingly quote from a source I know to be false.

But call it a failing or flaw of mine. I have a bad habit of not always checking a website's statement of faith on folks websites. I am not perfect. I will try and do better next time. But thank you for point it out. However, I don't think the iist on the Parable of the Prodigal Son was invented out of thin air. If you read the text, the list follows it.

Jul 22, 2014
An excerpt from the 'A Man Named Jesus' page on the above site:
Jesus took this risk and was crucified by the Romans. Although Jesus survived his crucifixion, at least for some days, his cross became a symbol of unconditional love for others and a commitment to the mission of spreading the gospel of God. Jesus said to his disciples, "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:12-13).

Later, a man named Paul misinterpreted the meaning of Jesus' crucifixion. Paul believed that Jesus died on the cross as a sacrifice to pay a death penalty on behalf of humankind to save people from the "wrath" of God. Paul believed that Jesus was a divine and sinless being who sacrificed his life as a "substitute" to atone (make amends) for the sins of humankind, like a "ram without blemish" was sacrificed as a "guilt offering" to God in the Jewish temple, 2,000 years ago (Leviticus 6:6-7).

Today, the so-called "substitutionary theory of the atonement" is based on Paul's belief.

But Jesus saw himself only as a "man who has told you the truth which I heard from God" (John 8:40) and Jesus did not see his cross as a "substitute" for anyone. In fact, Jesus made it very clear that he expected his disciples to risk their own lives if they chose to follow him. Jesus said, "Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:27).

Here, Jesus is clearly saying that a person must be prepared to pay whatever it costs to live by the commandments -- to love God and neighbor. The cost to Jesus was crucifixion. However, it is our willingness to bear our own cross (whatever it may be) that identifies each of us as a disciple of Jesus. The cross of Jesus serves as an example to be followed; it does not serve as a substitute to save us from anything.​

Jesus didn't die to save us from anything?

Really?

And you're using this site a source?

Please rethink.

-JGIG

Okay. You gotta stop. I did not endorse this article. Many times when I quote sources I write that I do not agree with all truth taught by such said author. I did not check the statement of faith of the website. Really, such a thought was not on my mind at the time. Sorry about that. I will endeavor to do better next time when quoting sources.

Jul 22, 2014
But I really can't see how folks can ignore that repentance is turning from one's evil ways. Compare Matthew 12:41 with Jonah 3:9-10.

K

Kaycie

Luke 13:3 Uless you repent you shall all likewise perish.

To repent is to make a u-turn and go the opposite way.