Is Repentance Necessary For Salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

• Yes, Repentance is Forsaking Sin.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Repetnace is a mental agrement to turn from sin, but that does mean you have to be sinless or c

• Yes, Repentance is a mental agreement to not be your own God but it is not forsaking sin or confessi

• Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, and forsaking sin. It is a confession of eac

• Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, not confessing sin, and not forsaking sin.

• No, Repentance is not necessary for salvation because it is a work.

• No, (Other) (Please Explain).

• I don't know.

• Total voters

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Does anyone know why Jason0047 was banned? I don't remember him... it must have happened before I came.
The main thing that I remember about Jason0047 was that he was very heavy on NOSAS, but not sure why he was banned.

Feb 11, 2016
Here is repenting and doing the fathers will as shown in this picture also

Matt.21

[23] And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?
[24] And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things.
[25] The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say unto us, Why did ye not then believe him?
[26] But if we shall say, Of men; we fear the people; for all hold John as a prophet.
[27] And they answered Jesus, and said, We cannot tell. And he said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things.
[28] But what think ye? A certain man had two sons;
and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.
[29] He answered and said, I will not:
but
afterward he repented, and went.
[30] And he came to the second, and said likewise.
And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.
[31] Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first.
Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
[32] For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Nov 22, 2015
The main thing that I remember about Jason0047 was that he was very heavy on NOSAS, but not sure why he was banned.
Ahhh...thanks Dan...there always does seem to be those types that want to "work for" their own salvation for going to be with the Lord by what "they do" to make it to heaven.

And in this process they are denying their Master by not believing in what He has already done for them.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Ahhh...thanks Dan...there always does seem to be those types that want to "work for" their own salvation for going to be with the Lord by what "they do" to make it to heaven.
He has agreed with me in the past that we are saved by grace through faith, not works, but he may have crossed the line into "type 2 works salvation" (salvation "maintained" based on our performance) because of his obsession with NOSAS.

Nov 22, 2015
He has agreed with me in the past that we are saved by grace through faith, not works, but he may have crossed the line into "type 2 works salvation" (salvation "maintained" based on our performance) because of his obsession with NOSAS.
Well, all Christians have to give "mental assent" to grace and give it some "lip service" as it's hard to circumvent Eph 2:8-9 and the host of other scriptures too. We start our Christian life by grace through faith alone in Christ's completed work and we end it the same way.

It's all Christ and in His finished work...and yes...we do good works that God has for us to do. This is really a fruit of His life living in and through us being expressed to others.

Mar 28, 2016
Christ is first, He said he came to call sinners to repentance.

And Paul shows we leave off from laying again and again and again those things called the principles of the doctrine of Christ, the repentance of dead works and faith towards God even is followed up behind with the same

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go onunto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

And,

Heb 6:2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

So not laying again the foundation of repentance "from" dead works" and of faith
(And of faith...towards God ). The difference as to the direction must be distinguished . It is there that the father of lies gets his foot into the door in order to usurp the authority of God’s word.

That is the faith that cannot work in respect to things of men offered towards God not the living faith coming from Him.

Godly sorrow is that which worketh the repentance to salvation

2 Cr 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repentedof: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Bullock, cart, destination (in this case) what Christ has done is always first.

The other kind of sorrow (sorrow of the world) does not, it works death, but what is wrought in them by godly sorrow is shown in 2 Cr 7:10 (which is the next verse there)

Per the title of the thread itself in respects to the same.

Shows the gifts and calling themselves are without it, and shows godly sorrow works it unto the same. And also, his longsuffering which is shown us-ward is because he is not willing that any should perish but "come to"repentance

So I dont see a cart before a bullock when in the verses posts it shows the rebellious and in what manner it does, that he would teach sinners (seeing when we were yet without strength and yet sinners Christ died for the same). Seeing also that he calls (sinners) even unto repentance and pulls in God's longsuffering waiting in the days of Noah even with those which were sometime disobedient and because of his unwillingness that any should perish, and again we see how Gods longsuffering leads to repentance.
Hi Pilgrim...thanks for your patience and the reply

Yes, His first work of His faith, according to His labor of love..... is called long-suffering according to the love chapter. The second work of the Spirit of Christ in us is to be kind. If there is no work of patience there can be no kindness. Envy would come and boast in itself as being puffed up .It would not show mercy and grace but rather keep a record of wrong suffered against the one who is long-suffering.

1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

His labor of love works in those who do believe the call of His faith, the work by which we can hear him.(not of our own selves as the faith we offer towards Him. He considers that kind of faith in respect to the things of men, dead.

If we do not hear Him we cannot believe Him and therefore love him by obeying what he says.There would be no way to turn towards Him who has no form so that we then could repent. .

It is he that turns us, the rebellious, as the first work of God working in us called the hearing of faith, the believing to the salvation of our soul.

Either Christ does all the work of saving us to the end or he does nothing.

I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: "turn thou me, and I shall be turned"; for thou art the LORD my God. Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear "the reproach of my youth".Jer 31:18

When we become like the plow before the Bullock or the horse before the cart we in effect show we have lost our first love in respect to His first work that does work in us causing us to repent.(cause and effect)

The men in Revelation 2 were putting their faith in that seen, the works (private interpretations)of the Nicolaitanes They were measuring their faith in respect to men as the first works that could turn them to repent in respect to men. turning things upside down

Christ commanding them to do the first works simply means; believe God ,the one who did the work by which we can hear Him who has no form.

Note ...(green in parentheses) my added commentary to try and help make my point.

Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast
left thy first love.Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works;(believe God) or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;(not what Nicolaitanes say) To him that overcometh (what Nicolaitanes say) will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. Rev 2:4

Vdp

Banned
Nov 18, 2015
NO!

We receive Grace first from God!

Then by the Grace we believe and receive Salvation, then we repent.

Ephesians 2:8-9
[SUP]8 [/SUP]For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— [SUP]9 [/SUP]not by works, so that no one can boast.

First comes Grace from God, then comes our Faith from God. Then we repent, not before!

E

ember

Jason was polite. Had a good number of discussions with him...myself and others still here...he was adamant regarding his beliefs though...but again, he pretty much stayed polite which made discussion possible

he would often just ignore posts...and you had to go back and say what about so and so...

he didn't call people names and he was not sarcastic and nasty

Feb 11, 2016
(And of faith...towards God ). The difference as to the direction must be distinguished . It is there that the father of lies gets his foot into the door in order to usurp the authority of God’s word.

Hi Pilgrim...thanks for your patience and the reply

Yes, His first work of His faith, according to His labor of love..... is called long-suffering according to the love chapter. The second work of the Spirit of Christ in us is to be kind. If there is no work of patience there can be no kindness. Envy would come and boast in itself as being puffed up .It would not show mercy and grace but rather keep a record of wrong suffered against the one who is long-suffering.

1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

His labor of love works in those who do believe the call of His faith, the work by which we can hear him.(not of our own selves as the faith we offer towards Him. He considers that kind of faith in respect to the things of men, dead.

If we do not hear Him we cannot believe Him and therefore love him by obeying what he says.There would be no way to turn towards Him who has no form so that we then could repent. .

It is he that turns us, the rebellious, as the first work of God working in us called the hearing of faith, the believing to the salvation of our soul.

Either Christ does all the work of saving us to the end or he does nothing.

I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: "turn thou me, and I shall be turned"; for thou art the LORD my God. Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear "the reproach of my youth".Jer 31:18

When we become like the plow before the Bullock or the horse before the cart we in effect show we have lost our first love in respect to His first work that does work in us causing us to repent.(cause and effect)

The men in Revelation 2 were putting their faith in that seen, the works (private interpretations)of the Nicolaitanes They were measuring their faith in respect to men as the first works that could turn them to repent in respect to men. turning things upside down

Christ commanding them to do the first works simply means; believe God ,the one who did the work by which we can hear Him who has no form.

Note ...(green in parentheses) my added commentary to try and help make my point.

Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast
left thy first love.Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works;(believe God) or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches;(not what Nicolaitanes say) To him that overcometh (what Nicolaitanes say) will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. Rev 2:4
Thanks for the verses garee.

God bless you, peace

Nov 22, 2015
NO!

We receive Grace first from God!

Then by the Grace we believe and receive Salvation, then we repent.

Ephesians 2:8-9
[SUP]8 [/SUP]For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— [SUP]9 [/SUP]not by works, so that no one can boast.

First comes Grace from God, then comes our Faith from God. Then we repent, not before!

I think I know what you re getting at as everything originates from God but how does that fit in with what Jesus said when He said to repent first ( which is a changing of the mind in Greek ) then believe.

Mark 1:15 (NASB)
[SUP]15 [/SUP] and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand;
repent and believe in the gospel."

God does grant us repentance as can be seen when Peter was telling his story about Cornelius.

Acts 11:18 (NASB)
[SUP]18 [/SUP] When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, "Well then,
God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life."

I find this story interesting as when you go back and read the account of the story and it is there in word-for-word - Peter did not say for them to "repent" at all and yet they did repent by changing their minds to believe what God in Christ had done for them.

It seems that true repentance is a change of mindsets to believe and rely on what Christ has already done only for salvation.

valiant

Mar 22, 2015
It would seem technically from God's side that we are first justified by grace through faith while we are still ungodly (Rom 3.24-27; 4.5), resulting in repentance unto life being given to us at the rebirth.

But from man's side repentance and faith are what is SEEN,

Feb 26, 2015
Romans 3:10-12
[SUP]10 [/SUP]As it is written:“There is no one righteous, not even one;
[SUP]11 [/SUP] there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
[SUP]12 [/SUP]All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.”[SUP]

How can one repent first when NO ONE seeks after God?

First they had to know about God. Its God who reveals Himself to them first. Then after they know about God and after He has given them Grace and after they have received Salvation and see their sins is when we are to repent of our sins. Salvation is not received by repenting. Its ONLY received by Grace from God, not by repenting.

[/SUP]

E

ember

Romans 3:10-12
[SUP]10 [/SUP]As it is written:“There is no one righteous, not even one;
[SUP]11 [/SUP] there is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God.
[SUP]12 [/SUP]All have turned away,
they have together become worthless;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.”[SUP]

How can one repent first when NO ONE seeks after God?

First they had to know about God. Its God who reveals Himself to them first. Then after they know about God and after He has given them Grace and after they have received Salvation and see their sins is when we are to repent of our sins. Salvation is not received by repenting. Its ONLY received by Grace from God, not by repenting.

[/SUP]
just so

I have learned through study, that the original meaning of the word repent is to change one's mind...to align our thoughts with God's

therefore, suggesting to me, that the scripture stating we renew our mind through the word is applicable to that end

but you are absolutely right to state that salvation is ONLY received by God's grace...He opens our eyes and draws us by His Spirit in the first place

we just don't figure into our own salvation at all..it is God who works in us to both desire and to work out His good will (Phil. 2:13)

A

Amellinialman

Mark 1:14-15 Jesus says repent and believe in the Gospel for the Kingdom of God is at hand. A critical exegesis of this text we can understand that repentance and belief are two sides of the same coin. Repentance and belief, in that order. The floor is open.

A

Amellinialman

What type baptism was John performing? A baptism of repentance. Why would Jesus need to repent of anything? In the same sense that Jesus, the sinless One, ws crucified. So we look at repentance in the light of Jesus' baptism of repentance. Therefore, He repented on our behalf. The same way He was crucified on our behalf. He took the wrath of God on our behalf. He fulfilled the Law on our behalf. Repentance is a gift. It can only come by the Holy Spirit. He gives us faith to believe the Gospel as He convicts our hearts of sin and points us to Jesus Christ. To repent is a command just as believing is. His grace is so amazing and His plan of salvation perfect.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Mark 1:14-15 Jesus says repent and believe in the Gospel for the Kingdom of God is at hand. A critical exegesis of this text we can understand that repentance and belief are two sides of the same coin. Repentance and belief, in that order. The floor is open.
Amen! Repentance and belief, in that order.

Matthew 21:32 - For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

Mark 1:15 - Repent and believe in the gospel.

Acts 20:21 - testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

E

eternally-gratefull

Amen! Repentance and belief, in that order.

Matthew 21:32 - For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.

Mark 1:15 - Repent and believe in the gospel.

Acts 20:21 - testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
amen, we have to repent (Stop doing it our way, and start agreeing with God) before we even have the ability to have faiht in him.

We can not trust him if we do not understand and agree with what he says.

Dec 9, 2011

(a) Yes, Repentance is confessing and forsaking sin.
(b) Yes, Repentance is forsaking sin.
(c) Yes, Repentance is a mental agreement to walk away from sin and walk towards God.
(d) Yes, Repentance is a mental agreement to turn from sin, but that does not mean you have to be sinless or confess sin.
(e) Yes, Repentance is a mental agreement to not be your own God but it is not forsaking sin or confessing.
(f) Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, and forsaking sin. It is not a confession of each sin.
(g) Yes, Repentance is saying you are a sinner before God, not confessing each sin & not forsaking sin.
(h) Yes, (Other) (Please explain).
(I) No, Repentance is not necessary for salvation because it is a work.
(j) No, Repentance is not necessary for you are saved of past, present, and future sins by belief.
(l) No, (Other) (Please explain)
(m) (Other) (Please explain)
(n) I don't know.
John 6:44
King James Version(KJV)

44.)No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

A person can't come to god and not repent In truth.

IE
Saying words to get saved because the person wants to please their parents or saying words because there Is a girl there that you like, would not be coming to GOD In truth.

T

Trail-of-Truth

Repenting is choosing to make a u-turn away from sin. And yes, we cannot willfully live in sin any longer. We must take up our cross daily and die to sin.

E

eternally-gratefull

Repenting is choosing to make a u-turn away from sin. And yes, we cannot willfully live in sin any longer. We must take up our cross daily and die to sin.

So you never sin?