Is Sportsmanship an outdated concept?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
When people ask me why I don't "follow" sports, I tell them it's because I cannot watch the self-glorifying actions of professional athletes. It turns my stomach.

I don't know how many of you saw this, but the US women's hockey team beat the team from Canada for the gold in the Olympic games. This was, I believe, a first. Canada has dominated women's hockey, from what I hear.

At the awards ceremony, one of the presenters placed the silver medal around the neck of one of the Canadian players, then moved to the next player in line. The player immediately removed the medal from around her neck... apparently because "she had come to the Olympics to get gold" and was disgusted that she "only" got a silver medal. So she showed her disgust by demonstrating disrespect to the whole Olympic ideal.

Does this bother anyone else, or is it just me? I'm curious to hear what some of our Canadian brothers/sisters think about her action.

Should we excuse disrespectful behavior simply because "they were emotional" ?

Jan 6, 2018
When people ask me why I don't "follow" sports, I tell them it's because I cannot watch the self-glorifying actions of professional athletes. It turns my stomach.

I don't know how many of you saw this, but the US women's hockey team beat the team from Canada for the gold in the Olympic games. This was, I believe, a first. Canada has dominated women's hockey, from what I hear.

At the awards ceremony, one of the presenters placed the silver medal around the neck of one of the Canadian players, then moved to the next player in line. The player immediately removed the medal from around her neck... apparently because "she had come to the Olympics to get gold" and was disgusted that she "only" got a silver medal. So she showed her disgust by demonstrating disrespect to the whole Olympic ideal.

Does this bother anyone else, or is it just me? I'm curious to hear what some of our Canadian brothers/sisters think about her action.

We parents and coaches don't allow that in Little League.

S

SpoonJuly

Have no respect or use for professional sports, and the Olympic are professional.
Need to bring back the amateurs,

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
This is why I usually prefer minor leagues or college ball.

The drama and politics are less evident. Just sit and watch the different jerseys fight it out.

T

Tinuviel

It's rather appalling. At the risk of being called sexist, it happens more often in the women's sports then the men's. Some countries in particular, it just seems like it is gold or nothing. (yes, I've made a study of this at the Olympics lol). I am happy to say most of the Americans (in the sports I watch) are pretty good sportsmen and gracious loosers and winners. It doesn't seem to be valued any more though, which is very sad.

stand2

Dec 6, 2017
I'm afraid sportsmanship is going the way of other fine human traits like courage, honour and integrity. I did the math on these young olympians and place them in elementary school at about the time of the "everybody gets a trophy" program. So maybe if you don't get the trophy you want, it's the same as not getting a trophy, and that's just soooo unfair.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
People would be able to argue with you if they watched women's sports.

It's rather appalling. At the risk of being called sexist, it happens more often in the women's sports then the men's. Some countries in particular, it just seems like it is gold or nothing. (yes, I've made a study of this at the Olympics lol). I am happy to say most of the Americans (in the sports I watch) are pretty good sportsmen and gracious loosers and winners. It doesn't seem to be valued any more though, which is very sad.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I had no idea women played hockey. Do they fight like the men?

This is ice hockey, not field hockey?

Aug 2, 2009
Sportsmanship is going the way of common courtesy and manners...

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
From sports pages I seen many comments on this. You can either view this 2 ways. One it can be viewed as what many here have said, as disrespectful to her country or her opponent and view it as a sign of bad sportmanship. However some people saw said they had no problem with it because it showed her ultimate goal was Gold. Why should she be content with second place. The goal in sports always is to win. So many felt she showed passion and that she actually cared. Some may applaud that passion, some may find it dissrespctful. Remember Canada had dominated Woen's hockey for 20 years so she probably felt silver was a failure. Obviously in some sports it's Gold or bust, nothing wrong with that imo.

For many who follow sports closely as me can actually understand what she is feeling. I remember the documentary of the 1972 U.S. Olympic Basketball team. The U.S. got cheated out of the gold medal and to this day they never claimed their gold medal. Btw I'm not taking a side but I'm giving both sides to the argument.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
btw the reaction from most American fans was basically more laughter than anything, they're happy Canadanians were miserable after finally losing to the U.S. Some were offended others commented stuff like "cry them salty tears back to Canada". We fans love to trash talk.

However the biggest issue we should be adressing is the fact that a Gold Medal game of this magnitude was decided by a shootout. All the work each team did the whole game gets thrown out the window.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I had no idea women played hockey. Do they fight like the men?

This is ice hockey, not field hockey?
Yes, ice hockey. I don't know if they fight, or not..... I didn't see any, during the little I watched of it. I didn't notice any of them missing any teeth, either.. :confused:

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
btw the reaction from most American fans was basically more laughter than anything, they're happy Canadanians were miserable after finally losing to the U.S. Some were offended others commented stuff like "cry them salty tears back to Canada". We fans love to trash talk.

However the biggest issue we should be adressing is the fact that a Gold Medal game of this magnitude was decided by a shootout. All the work each team did the whole game gets thrown out the window.
hmnmmm.... why would that be? Aren't shootouts a part of the game of hockey? Should there be special rules for games in the Olympics?

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Yes, ice hockey. I don't know if they fight, or not..... I didn't see any, during the little I watched of it. I didn't notice any of them missing any teeth, either.. :confused:
I really had never heard of women's ice hockey. I just assumed that if women did play it, they played on the same teams as males, but ice hockey isn't really a thing around here.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Shootouts are a relatively new thing. They introduced the rule to avoid endless overtime battles and increased risk of player injury. The Olympics picked up that rule because it tends to pick up most NHL "innovations"

I'm with Socreta. Bring back old school hockey. It was more fun to watch and you didn't get as many serious injuries.

hmnmmm.... why would that be? Aren't shootouts a part of the game of hockey? Should there be special rules for games in the Olympics?

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
From sports pages I seen many comments on this. You can either view this 2 ways. One it can be viewed as what many here have said, as disrespectful to her country or her opponent and view it as a sign of bad sportmanship. However some people saw said they had no problem with it because it showed her ultimate goal was Gold. Why should she be content with second place. The goal in sports always is to win. So many felt she showed passion and that she actually cared. Some may applaud that passion, some may find it dissrespctful. Remember Canada had dominated Woen's hockey for 20 years so she probably felt silver was a failure. Obviously in some sports it's Gold or bust, nothing wrong with that imo.

For many who follow sports closely as me can actually understand what she is feeling. I remember the documentary of the 1972 U.S. Olympic Basketball team. The U.S. got cheated out of the gold medal and to this day they never claimed their gold medal. Btw I'm not taking a side but I'm giving both sides to the argument.
There are many competitors and only one winner. If someone can't stand not being first, they shouldn't compete.

5718.gif

Aug 2, 2009
But the shootout occurred because there was a tie right? ....So that means both teams were evenly scored after the alloted time for the game...

Yet the canadians still believed that they somehow deserved the gold...

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
There is something we call people like her who can't take an L, SALTY. This is revenge for US choking in 2014 gold medal game.