Is the New Covenant for Israel only?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 2, 2010
So you didnt even know what was being discussed. you just thought you would pop in and disagree with me on general purpose, and then add a cheap shot. Yeah that sounds like the christian thing to do.........sad, sad
In fairness, most of this thread has been sidetracked into a discussion of who is and is not Israel rather than discussing the community of the New Covenant. It is important and obviously related, but EG's responses all along have been on the topic of who is and is not Israel. EG could stand to read more thoroughly, and you could stand to be a little more gracious.

E

eternally-gratefull

So you didnt even know what was being discussed. you just thought you would pop in and disagree with me on general purpose, and then add a cheap shot. Yeah that sounds like the christian thing to do.........sad, sad
Do you read everything in a LONG LONG posing you have not looked at yet? Do you read everything not directed at you? If you do you do more than probably 99 % of the people do.

It still does not make you right. or more holy. or more worthy of salvation. Your still lost as long as you continue to work for it.

Aug 12, 2010
I can understand the confusion here (at least partly)

Paul spent much of his writings telling us there was no difference between jew and gentile. We are all one under Christ.

However, if you read the passage I showed. He said there is a difference.

1. Jew, as natural branches, were grafted out (cut off due to unbelief) gentile, as unnatural branches, are grafted in. Here already we see the general tone of most of pauls writtings has changed. He is not saying jew and gentile are one, there is no difference. He is separating the two.

as for your question. If gentiles are non Israelites. and he is not talking about the church here. Who are the Israel? Remember in the OT where a prophet said he was the only one left. And God said he has a remnant. Paul uses the same language here. Isreal is only blinded "in part" (meaning not all Israel has rejected Christ. there are saved people from the twelve tribes of Israel.) Israel in a non gentile. Or of the lineage of Abraham through Isaac and Jacob.

All the people trying to use other passages where paul says there is no difference e between jew and gentile do not apply here. Paul did separate jew and gentile. Thus national Isreal. And not the church, must be applied to Israel in romans 11.
Great...I got no problems with that. Natural Israel is the one being spoken of in Romans 11.

But neither the nation state of Israel nor the "Jews" today are that Israel. Do you agree? Obviously because not everyone within the borders of israel is are related to the tribes and neither are Jewish converts. Am I right?

If I'm right, then what do you think the message is that Paul is trying to convey?

"All Israel (natural) will be saved"

Could it be that they already have been?

I used bad language. I I don't even know what word to use. I can only try to explain. In the OT Israel had the oracles of God. But a gentile could be saved also (think nineva and other gentiles) But the Gentiles as a unit rejected God. Just like now. There are people from Israel who are saved. But israel as a unit has rejected god. As Paul said. they have been blinded in "part" Not all have rejected their messiah.
Ok thanks for clarifying.

Why wouldn't they be? We want all jews to reject God living today and the last 2000 years just because they are jews? The point is right now (and the last 2000 years) they as a nation has rejected Christ. A few have receive him. But one day they as a nation will have their blindness removed and they as a nation will return to God and repent and receive Christ.
So can you please tell me...

Are you saying that "Jews" today are Israel? Natural Israel?

Or when you say "they as a nation" do you mean the state of israel?

I am not sure if your being silly here or not. But just in case you are serious. A jew is the name of people who lived in the lower part of Israel (from the tribes of Dan and Judah) they called that land judah ad the inhabitants jews.
Ok so there are obviously no real Jews (Judhans) today as there is no tribe or land of Judha.

There are only those who CALL themselves "Jews" right?

Is this silly logic?
Israel were the other ten tribes who were removed from their land by Syrian because of unbelief. The land was called Israel

but Israel, when spoken of in the NT would include all 12 tribes.
Arn't gentiles who are grafted in also part of Israel? Israel is Gods children correct? Anyone with faith in Christ is counted for the seed of natural Israel (the promises).

(Romans 9:8) That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

A

AnandaHya

this thread makes me sad. :(

but I'll answer the question: "Is the New Covenant for Israel only?"

I will not play with words and name games but simply state that Jesus came to save the world from its sins. He came to set the captives free and bring sight to the blind. yet people who say they see, their sin remains for they reject the only begotten son of God.

Why discuss theology?

is it not more important to ask oneself am I walking the path God intended me to tread?

am I leaning on my own strength or am I relying upon the grace of God to lead me?

Am I wise in my own eyes and thus made a fool before God?

Or am I willing to say Lord I am a fool, teach me Your wisdom?

Do I think myself strong enough to tackle demons and stand before all forces of darkness through my own understanding and strength?

Or do I recognize my weakness and realize my need for the grace of God to stand and through His power resist?

When I speak is it with humbleness of spirit that recognizes that all words and my heart will be judged by the words and intentions of those spoken words?

Or does pride and the flesh add teeth and fangs of poison to my speech?

I think the more important question is not who is the new covenant for and who is Israel?

but Do I keep the new covenant? Am I a child of God?

if the answer your heart and the Holy Spirit testifies in an affirmative YES!, Praise God!

then ask, what work has your Father prepared for you to do in this life? Are you doing it?

have you been distracted from the task by pointless arguing?

have you allowed your pride to overcome your compassion and love by making it more important to be right then to build up and light the path we as child of the Most High should tread?

are you displaying the traits you would want your children and grandchildren to emulate?

I'll come back later, maybe then there will be less arguing and more edifying on the boards.

where has discussion of the BIBLE gone today?

‪Voice Of Truth - Casting Crowns‬‏ - YouTube

"Commit yourself to instruction;
attune your ears to hear words of knowledge."
-Proverbs 23:12 NLT

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Show me a verse where it says that Gentiles are part of the New Covenant.
Ephesians 3
The Mystery of the Gospel Revealed
1For this reason I, Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles— 2assuming that you have heard of the stewardship of God’s grace that was given to me for you, 3how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I have written briefly.

4When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit. 6This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

7Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God’s grace, which was given me by the working of his power. 8To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things, 10so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.

11This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him. 13So I ask you not to lose heart over what I am suffering for you, which is your glory.

HE PLANNED IT THAT WAY FROM THE BEGINNING DM.
like....hello?

C

Crazy4GODword

Distinctiveministry, you haven't answered me. On the other page

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Why discuss theology?
because THEOLOGY means the study of GOD and all things related to Him as He has revealed Himelf.
people who love God love Theology.

the·ol·o·gy

/θiˈɒl
ə
dʒi
/ Show Spelled[thee-ol-uh-jee] Show IPA
noun, plural -gies. 1. the field of study and analysis that treats of God and of God's attributes and relations to the universe; study of divine things or religious truth; divinity.

2. a particular form, system, branch, or course of this study.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
this thread makes me sad. :(

but I'll answer the question: "Is the New Covenant for Israel only?"

I will not play with words and name games but simply state that Jesus came to save the world from its sins. He came to set the captives free and bring sight to the blind. yet people who say they see, their sin remains for they reject the only begotten son of God.

Why discuss theology?

is it not more important to ask oneself am I walking the path God intended me to tread?

am I leaning on my own strength or am I relying upon the grace of God to lead me?

Am I wise in my own eyes and thus made a fool before God?

Or am I willing to say Lord I am a fool, teach me Your wisdom?

Do I think myself strong enough to tackle demons and stand before all forces of darkness through my own understanding and strength?

Or do I recognize my weakness and realize my need for the grace of God to stand and through His power resist?

When I speak is it with humbleness of spirit that recognizes that all words and my heart will be judged by the words and intentions of those spoken words?

Or does pride and the flesh add teeth and fangs of poison to my speech?

I think the more important question is not who is the new covenant for and who is Israel?

but Do I keep the new covenant? Am I a child of God?

if the answer your heart and the Holy Spirit testifies in an affirmative YES!, Praise God!

then ask, what work has your Father prepared for you to do in this life? Are you doing it?

have you been distracted from the task by pointless arguing?

have you allowed your pride to overcome your compassion and love by making it more important to be right then to build up and light the path we as child of the Most High should tread?

are you displaying the traits you would want your children and grandchildren to emulate?

I'll come back later, maybe then there will be less arguing and more edifying on the boards.

where has discussion of the BIBLE gone today?

‪Voice Of Truth - Casting Crowns‬‏ - YouTube

"Commit yourself to instruction;
attune your ears to hear words of knowledge."
-Proverbs 23:12 NLT
ananda:
you got a lot of your good WORKS stuff embedded your post.
and you're sounding quite religious. that's fine.

Theology and sound doctrine are important.
if you want to testify of your good works or obedience, that's fine.

but some of us are discussing aspects of theology.

A

AnandaHya

ananda:
you got a lot of your good WORKS stuff embedded your post.
and you're sounding quite religious. that's fine.

Theology and sound doctrine are important.
if you want to testify of your good works or obedience, that's fine.

but some of us are discussing aspects of theology.
?? discussing theology is fine

However it becomes an problem when people get so caught up in defending their own beliefs they don't take the time to listen to others and pray about it that it is no longer a discussion but an argument and an excerise of pride.

if discussing theology is what God calls you to do then do it, but I just wonder how many have prayed and asked God about things being discussed TODAY or how many are basing their postings on what they studied and learned in the past.

I guess the goals are different.

some chose to defend a philosophy or doctrine.

I just thought the purpose is to engage in conversation with individuals and help one another grow in Christ.

Without respect and mutual ground, I find that hard for people to learn and grow together.

If people come to the conversation convinced they are right and are unwilling to search in their heart and pray to God about whether the strongholds in their mind and ALL their thoughts are built upon God's Holy Words and true and sound, then it just causes contention and strife.

without respect and love all conversation is just banging cymbals.

A

AnandaHya

[
Show me a verse where it says that Gentiles are part of the New Covenant.
Isaiah 42:5-7
New King James Version (NKJV)
5 Thus says God the LORD,
Who created the heavens and stretched them out,
Who spread forth the earth and that which comes from it,
Who gives breath to the people on it,
And spirit to those who walk on it:
6 “ I, the LORD, have called You in righteousness,
And will hold Your hand;
I will keep You and give You as a covenant to the people,
As a light to the Gentiles
7 To open blind eyes,
To bring out prisoners from the prison,
Those who sit in darkness from the prison house.

Acts 26:22-23
22 Therefore, having obtained help from God, to this day I stand, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said would come— 23 that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles.”

Galatians 3:27-29
27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise

Last edited:
A

AnandaHya

But what does Gal 3:29 say? Well when we become Christians we become part of Abrahams seed. We are grafted in in God's family. Wasn't Abraham the father of Issac the father of Jacob (also known as Israel) the father of the twelve tribes of Israel? So we are grafted in as Abraham seed.

Doesn't the Jews come from the 12 tribes? Well what does Romans 2:29 say about a us? We Gentiles are Jews inwardly. Would this mean we partake what God gave Israel if we are Jews as well? Of course for we are God's people too.
in case you missed it the first time, DM.....

zone

Jun 13, 2010
You could highlight the whole sentence but that wouldn't suit your purposes of slandering me. What MR. MATTISON calls "Noahide code" is nothing more than the council of Jerusalem's decision as recorded in Acts 15, which is thoroughly biblical.
not slandering you in the slightest.
has nothing to do with you...unless you keep legitimizing that stuff by connecting it to ACTS 15.

one could connect alister crowley to Acts 15 if they wanted to...so?

THE NOAHIDE CODE/LAWS is a satanic counterfeit set of 'Laws' purporting to be from God, from a satanic religion that came out of Babylon, purporting to be given 'Orally' to Moses at the same time God gave Moses the Real Torah.

THE BABYLONIAN TALMUD....THE 'ORAL TRADITIONS'.

anyone even remotely suggesting those "Laws" have anything whatsoever to do with The God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob hasn't figured out what the Leaven of the Pharisees is.

we've had this very discussion before, haven't we DM?

sincerely,
your Reformed Covenant Amillennial Cessationist friend,
zone.
Pharisees

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The sages of the Talmud see a direct link between themselves and the Pharisees, and historians generally consider Pharisaic Judaism to be the progenitor of Rabbinic Judaism, that is normative, mainstream Judaism after the destruction of the Second Temple. All mainstream forms of Judaism today consider themselves heirs of Rabbinic Judaism and, ultimately, the Pharisees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharisees

The Oral Torah comprises the legal and interpretative traditions that, according to tradition, were transmitted orally from Mount Sinai, and were not written in the Torah. According to Rabbinic Judaism, the oral Torah, oral Law, or oral tradition (Hebrew: תורה שבעל פה, Torah she-be-`al peh) was given by God orally to Moses in conjunction with the written Torah (Hebrew: תורה שבכתב, Torah she-bi-khtav), after which it was passed down orally through the ages. Later to be codified and written in the Talmud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_Torah

Matthew 16
The Leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees
5When the disciples reached the other side, they had forgotten to bring any bread. 6Jesus said to them, “Watch and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 7And they began discussing it among themselves, saying, “We brought no bread.” 8But Jesus, aware of this, said, “O you of little faith, why are you discussing among yourselves the fact that you have no bread? 9Do you not yet perceive? Do you not remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many baskets you gathered? 10Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many baskets you gathered? 11How is it that you fail to understand that I did not speak about bread? Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12Then they understood that he did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

Jul 3, 2011
Your still lost as long as you continue to work for it.
If you paid attention at all you would know that I do not work for anything. I am hidden in Christ, and it is no longer I who lives, but Christ that lives in me.

Philippians 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

It is really weird how someone can decide what someone else believes and then refuse to actually hear anything they say.

Last edited:
A

Abiding

AnandaHya

Why discuss theology?

````````````````````````````````````````````````
Its important to do it all. Ive learned tons since ive been here.
God uses means in distributing His grace.
Sure it gets weird, I just deal with it by the same grace.

A

AnandaHya

Distinctiveministry, you haven't answered me. On the other page
oh missed it. is it before this post?

maybe he pmed it to you because i don't see a response to your post between your post and the one above or afterwards either....

E

eternally-gratefull

Great...I got no problems with that. Natural Israel is the one being spoken of in Romans 11.

But neither the nation state of Israel nor the "Jews" today are that Israel. Do you agree? Obviously because not everyone within the borders of israel is are related to the tribes and neither are Jewish converts. Am I right?
I can't say if they are related or not, I am not God and has not seen ever son born since the beginning to know who is who and who is not. I am certanly not going to deny they are. what religion they follow does not make then natural. it is their heredity that matters.All I can say is I think satan and his attacks against these people in the last 100 years would lead me to believe they are real. Why would satan attack a group of people and try to kill them off (ie Hitler) unless God still has a plan for them. even if they are in unbelief at this moment.

As for being a convert, this does not make one a blood relative of the original 12 sons. So would not matter.

If I'm right, then what do you think the message is that Paul is trying to convey?

"All Israel (natural) will be saved"

Could it be that they already have been?
when did this happen? They rejected him and cricified him. The were enemies of his church. Not to long after paul wrote these words they were overun by a roman army which destroyed their city, their temple. and dispersed them throughout the world. Just Like God predicted the would through Christ and OT prophets. When after all this happened did God regather the "dry bones" as the prophet Ezekial says come to life?

Ezekiel 37:11-14
Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, ‘Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!’ 12 Therefore prophesy and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “Behold, O My people, I will open your graves and cause you to come up from your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. 13 Then you shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O My people, and brought you up from your graves. 14 I will put My Spirit in you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I, the LORD, have spoken it and performed it,” says the LORD.’”

15 Again the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 16 “As for you, son of man, take a stick for yourself and write on it: ‘For Judah and for the children of Israel, his companions.’ Then take another stick and write on it, ‘For Joseph, the stick of Ephraim, and for all the house of Israel, his companions.’ 17 Then join them one to another for yourself into one stick, and they will become one in your hand.
18 “And when the children of your people speak to you, saying, ‘Will you not show us what you mean by these?’— 19 say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “Surely I will take the stick of Joseph, which is in the hand of Ephraim, and the tribes of Israel, his companions; and I will join them with it, with the stick of Judah, and make them one stick, and they will be one in My hand.”’ 20 And the sticks on which you write will be in your hand before their eyes.
21 “Then say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “Surely I will take the children of Israel from AMONG THE NATIONS, WHEREVER THEY HAVE GONE, and will gather them from every side and bring them into their own land; 22 and I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king over them all; they shall no longer be two nations, nor shall they ever be divided into two kingdoms again. 23 They shall not defile themselves anymore with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions; but I will deliver them from all their dwelling places in which they have sinned, and will cleanse them. Then they shall be My people, and I will be their God.
24 “David My servant shall be king over them, and they shall all have one shepherd; they shall also walk in My judgments and observe My statutes, and do them. 25 Then they shall dwell in the land that I have given to Jacob My servant, where your fathers dwelt; and they shall dwell there, they, their children, and their children’s children, forever; and My servant David shall be their prince forever. 26 Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them, and it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; I will establish them and multiply them, and I will set My sanctuary in their midst forevermore. 27 My tabernacle also shall be with them; indeed I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 28 The nations also will know that I, the LORD, sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forevermore.”’”

Syria overthrew the northern kingdom because of their sin and dispersed these tibes all over the eart. when have they ever returned and made on with the lower kingdom?> It has not happened.

The lower kingdom (judah) was overthrone and taken captive by babylon. But returned to her land (minus the northern kingdom) until they rejected Christ. then were scattered themselves over the whole earth.

When have these two kingdoms. these twelve sons of Jacob, ever been returned, Given life and made on in the lang God promised Abraham. and given the king promised to david (messiah) who would rule in her midst. their sins removed. their repentance pure. Their dabbling in pagan ritual and right (which they are doing now as people say) far from them because they know God and are ruled by him and observe his laws happily? This is never happened. So all Isreal can not be saved.

not to mention. when have the times of the gentiles been fulfilled (or complete) we are still in the time of the gentiles.

So can you please tell me...

Are you saying that "Jews" today are Israel? Natural Israel?

Or when you say "they as a nation" do you mean the state of israel?
I mean the natural born sons of Jacob. the twelve tribes. God promised he would save a remnant who were not defiled. I take God at his word and do not question what God says. What is in Israel today might have a part in this. But it is not even close to "all Isreal"

Ok so there are obviously no real Jews (Judhans) today as there is no tribe or land of Judha.

There are only those who CALL themselves "Jews" right?

Is this silly logic?
I am talking about the name God gave them. Not the name man gave them. God promised a remnant. Which means there are people alive today who are from the tribe of Judah, Of Reuben, of gad, of Asher, of Naphtali, of Manasseh, of Simeon, of Levi, of Issachar, of Zebulon, of Joseph of Benjamin. Where are they? I don't know. Who are they? I don;t know. God knows. And he promised he would return them. and take away their sin, and all of them will repent, come to him. Stop diobaying the law. Stop dabbling in paganism and playing the harlot. recieve him as her savior. If God said it will happen. I am not going to question him. I trust he will make it happen. And he has kept a remnant from all these tribes and they will be saved.

Arn't gentiles who are grafted in also part of Israel? Israel is Gods children correct? Anyone with faith in Christ is counted for the seed of natural Israel (the promises).

(Romans 9:8) That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
As far as the church and the new covenant God, yes we are. As far as the promises God made to them. and what Paul said in romans 11. we are not. That is why paul separated saved Gentiles being grafted in. And jews which were taken out. And then said. when the time of the gentiles is complete. (because of gentile unbelief) the natural branches will be grafted back in. and "all israel" will be saved. Because they have repented.

E

eternally-gratefull

If you paid attention at all you would know that I do not work for anything. I am hidden in Christ, and it is no longer I who lives, but Christ that lives in me.

Philippians 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

It is really weird how someone can decide what someone else believes and then refuse to actually hear anything they say.
I do pay attention. You do not believe in eternal security. so your trying to earn your gift. you have not received it yet. God does not give his gift to people trying to earn it.

Jul 3, 2011
I do pay attention. You do not believe in eternal security. so your trying to earn your gift. you have not received it yet. God does not give his gift to people trying to earn it.
This is a joke, because I do not bow down to your false believe of OSAS means I believe in works salvation as if there is no middle ground at all. That is ridiculous.

Apr 13, 2011
This is a joke, because I do not bow down to your false believe of OSAS means I believe in works salvation as if there is no middle ground at all. That is ridiculous.
When a person becomes saved, he is literally born of God.

1 Pet 1:23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

We are born of incorruptible seed. It cannot be corrupted. Just like you are the child of your earthly father, and absolutely nothing you do will change that, so it is with being saved.

Rom 10:9) That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Note that it does not say "thou shalt be saved until you screw up".

We are "sealed" with holy spirit. It's a done deal. Thank God!