Is there such as a thing as a non-practicing Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is there such a thing as a "non-practicing Christian?"

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2009
Sorry for continuing this Xmas business, which is not the topic here, but I wanted to clarify something for Watchman.

The usage of X to represent Christ throughout history is not a matter of religious belief--it is simply history. It was a universally accepted and universally used shorthand, not meant to be demeaning in any way.
Well i find it demeaning, thats how i feel about it, and a history lessen will not change that. I appreciate your effort though ;)

O

oopsies

That's what I thought, but it seems the intent I intended was not what came across...
Sorry, it isn't my intention to specifically refer to anyone or any particular incident. More like in general.

M

Maddog

Sorry, it isn't my intention to specifically refer to anyone or any particular incident. More like in general.
Haha! I think we are proving the point quite well here!

Jan 8, 2009
Why would you take the CHRIST out of christian?
I didn't, taking Christ out of christian would read "tian". I said Xtian, where X means Christ or Chris. Interesting to read that a history lesson won't change your ignorance.

Apr 23, 2009
I didn't, taking Christ out of christian would read "tian". I said Xtian, where X means Christ or Chris. Interesting to read that a history lesson won't change your ignorance.
It is not abouy being ignorant, it is about respecting my Savior, maybe you should try it.

Jan 8, 2009
Wow I'm sure replacing a little X with the full Christ will get you a lot of brownie points in heaven. But I think my Saviour would agree you're gnat straining.

G

Groundhog

It is not abouy being ignorant, it is about respecting my Savior, maybe you should try it.
It's not disrespectful. That's what I was trying to show you before. It's only in American in the last few decades that people have become misinformed on this. Christians used this shorthand for centuries. And this absolutely is about ignorance. When I use the word "ignorant" here I don't mean that you are stupid; it just means that you are apparently unaware of the facts. There is no reason, absolutely no reason, to be offended by it. The X is not there to "take Christ out of" the word, the X itself is an abbreviation for Christ.

Apr 23, 2009
The X is not there to "take Christ out of" the word, the X itself is an abbreviation for Christ.
I disagree, people write Xmas to remove Christ from Christmas, and i do find it disrespectful whether you do or not.

Jan 8, 2009
Actually I write Xmas because it is shorter to write in a letter or card. You always go on about "my Saviour" as if you're the only one who knows how to honor and respect Christ. Well grow up dude , get yourself a proper education and get your knickers untwisted. The fact that you would think that other Christians would intentionally want to disrespect or slur the name of Christ says a lot about your own character and the issues you have with Christianity.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2009
Actually I write Xmas because it is shorter to write in a letter or card. You always go on about "my Saviour" as if you're the only one who knows how to honor and respect Christ. Well grow up dude , get yourself a proper education and get your knickers untwisted.
I am not the only one, but it seems i am the only one between me and you that knows how to reverence Him, and He is my Savior. You have a problem with Christ saving a man like me?

G

Groundhog

I've begun a new thread on the whole "X in Xmas" thing, so let's move that discussion over there and allow this thread to get back to it's original topic, shall we?

Jan 8, 2009
I am not the only one, but it seems i am the only one between me and you that knows how to reverence Him, and He is my Savior. You have a problem with Christ saving a man like me?
It seems you are the only one between you and me who likes to strain a gnat and question other's walk with Christ or intentions because they don't fit your narrowminded and ignorant views. It's not my problem that you are either too stupid or ignorant to know that X means Christ, that's your problem. I don't have a problem with Christ saving you, but I do have a problem with your ignorance about X and Christ and suggesting that those who don't write Christ are somehow less reverant.

D

Dread_Zeppelin

Try not to look at the righteousness of God that Christ appropriated for us on the cross as a 'can of worms'. When we receive Christ we receive the righteousness of God, because Christ is our righteousness / 1Cor 1:30. We have received the person of righteousness that will never leave us or forsake us. That is not a can of worms, that is the righteousness of God. When the Father looks at us all He sees is the righteousness of His Son and He accepts us on the basis of that righteousness. We received Christ by faith and His righteousness was put on our account. The Holy Spirit seals that righteousness in us until the day of redemption, when we get our new glorified bodies. There would be no salvation without the righteousness of God. Christ was made sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him / 2Cor 5:21.
It's an expression. Get over it.

S

shad

It's an expression. Get over it.
If you really want to know God and how to think with God, study His word, meditate on it day and night and hide it in your heart. Then be a doer of the word and not a hearer only. When you live by every word of God you will have joy and the peace of God will rule your heart. Your mind will be filled with the thoughts of God and you will have good emotions. When you continue to build yourself up in God's word and keep yourself in the love of God, grace will take over in every area in your life and you will be filled the fruit of the Spirit. God will replace negativity in the emotions with His own life and fill you with joy unspeakable and full of glory. That is what it means to walk in the Spirit and when you do, you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. This is how we overcome fear, anxiety, tension, panic attacks, double mindedness, depression and a host of neurotic and psychotic disorders.

Great peace have they that love thy law (word), nothing shall offend them / Ps 119:165.

M

michae

i have never heard the epression before, a word coined by man. the moment we believe we recieve the life of another to be our only life, how that life is lived depends on what the believer knows about who he or she is..the point is, the birthing is a completed work of god, john first chapter..sadly christianity has reverted back to the good old days of do-er religion when works and the law saved you, none could keep the law then and they cant today either..it has always been a good arguement to live by law or life stye but the sadness is it leaves out christ who is the only liver of the law there ever was,,

Status
Not open for further replies.