It's Almost Valentine's Day (Let's Go Shootin'.)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everyone,

This thread is inspired by some of our friends in the Southern USA. :)

After walking into a store and having my every sense bombarded by literal walls of red, white, and pink, I had that inescapable feeling every single person has this time of year: Valentine's Day is coming. And there is no. place. to. hide.

What do you, as a single person, usually do on the Official Hallmark Day of Cupid?

Personally, I've never gone shooting, but I'm thinking that Valentine's Day might be a good time to try. :p

What fun, new, or interesting activities would you want to try on V-Day if you could?

(I know someone will probably say we can use the day to spend at church or in prayer, which is a lovely suggestion... Because I'm pretty sure that for me, at least, praying before, during, and after I shoot, would definitely be a good idea. :D)

This thread is meant to be fun, light-hearted, and will hopefully get you thinking about something cool we could all try on Valentine's Day instead of moping! :)

Why, Cupid, is that a target that you're wearing?! :D

H

HisHolly

I'll just say that Jesus is not my Valentine ( I'm sure some say that)
I'd like to go shooting!! My dad use to take us when we were kids.. His parents had acres and acres in Pennsylvania, we'd make targets and shoot

J

jennymae

Hey Everyone,

This thread is inspired by some of our friends in the Southern USA. :)

After walking into a store and having my every sense bombarded by literal walls of red, white, and pink, I had that inescapable feeling every single person has this time of year: Valentine's Day is coming. And there is no. place. to. hide.

What do you, as a single person, usually do on the Official Hallmark Day of Cupid?

Personally, I've never gone shooting, but I'm thinking that Valentine's Day might be a good time to try. :p

What fun, new, or interesting activities would you want to try on V-Day if you could?

(I know someone will probably say we can use the day to spend at church or in prayer, which is a lovely suggestion... Because I'm pretty sure that for me, at least, praying before, during, and after I shoot, would definitely be a good idea. :D)

This thread is meant to be fun, light-hearted, and will hopefully get you thinking about something cool we could all try on Valentine's Day instead of moping! :)

Why, Cupid, is that a target that you're wearing?! :D
Well, reckon I could lend you my 45 Ruger for some target practice;). We could go snake huntin';). A '45 might could be a little bit over the top, but then again, them sliddering, venomous critters...Lordamercy...reckon I best keep my mouth shut before somebody takes offense:p.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
I'm thinking about cooking myself a special meal and watching a movie (absolutely not anything romance related, but there's LOTR or I got an old version of alice in wonderland for christmas or one on amazon about william tyndale I've been meaning to watch). Of course I'll be working till 8 like normal so that wouldn't leave much time for going out with a special someone if there were a special someone. And whatever delicious meal I cook, I get to eat all of it. Might even try my hand at some sort of lower carb dessert (something super dark chocolate because after all it is valentine's day).

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Buy a bunch of chocolates and eat them.. :) I always look for the ones that have orange kitties on the cover. :eek:

Lenardzw

Jul 31, 2015
So I'm thinking about stopping over at a confectioner near my workplace and picking up some carrot cake and cheesecake. Then I'll visit a 74 year old lady who still lives on the street that I grew up on. She treats me like one of her children - most of whom live overseas - and will be glad to see me. We'll chat about my work and my siblings etc while I make her tea and my coffee. Then we'll watch her favourite South African soapie and she'll "catch me up" on whose who on the show. Later she'll reminisce on our childhood and pull out an album with childhood pics of her children and a bunch of us other kids, all in desperate need of a bath, staring at the camera with our bright eyes and impish grins.

Then she'll ask why I haven't met anyone yet, stressing that its been some 7 years since my divorce went through. She'll say its time for me to "settle down" and scold me for neglecting this area of my life. She tell me that I need someone and will then throw a few names for me to consider. Her matchmaking brain will kick up a gear as she describes a couple of ladies that she "happens to know..." As I try to change the subject, she will skillfully steer the conversation back to "finding a woman" telling me that I "spend too much time at that church" She will pause, take a sip of her tea, at my prompting (its getting cold) and a bite of her carrot cake before saying, "I will be more happy chewing on wedding cake than this."

Okay this is not going well even in my mind....

Jun 14, 2016
My mom never liked valentine's day, so growing up we would always do something fun.
For many years now, my mother prepares a three-course fondue dinner, and while we are eating, we play silly games and are rewarded silly prizes for winning. I've always enjoyed this :) it's always a bunch of fun.

I haven't had a valentine as far as i remember, but it's okay. :) fondue and silly games with ones you love is always good

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I plan to go to east TN and visit Mom during the week of V'day. It will save flamethrower fuel that I usually spend on matchmakers.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
I'm doing what I usually do, go to work , come home cook dinner for everyone and fight with people to do their homework. Woo hoo!!

J

jennymae

I'm doing what I usually do, go to work , come home cook dinner for everyone and fight with people to do their homework. Woo hoo!!
Lol, I know exactly what that is like;).

Y

Yahweh_is_gracious

I will be enjoying being single.

When I was chained to someone, V-Day was always a guaranteed fight. Funny how doing something romantic for a woman can backfire and you get your butt chewed out for all the other days you are NOT romantic. What bunch of horse puckey.

Naw, I'll just enjoy being single. Maybe I'll get some Chinese take-out and watch an action movie.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
I will be enjoying being single.

When I was chained to someone, V-Day was always a guaranteed fight. Funny how doing something romantic for a woman can backfire and you get your butt chewed out for all the other days you are NOT romantic. What bunch of horse puckey.

Naw, I'll just enjoy being single. Maybe I'll get some Chinese take-out and watch an action movie.

I'm going to sound grumpy but this is truly how I feel about Valentines Day. The little kid parties at school are fine but I don't and never have liked Valentines Day. Single, dating or married, I think it sucks. I remember one year when I was working in this office and one woman actually had a singing group come in and sing to her, a million women got flowers. I sat there in only my first year of marriage, not a card, not a happy Valentine's Day, nothing. I left work that day and went to my Moms house. I didn't want to see my husband. I know that sounds shallow but I was disgusted with the whole day after that. He apologized because he felt guilty because I had at least thought to get him a card and some chocolate. I don't do that anymore. I say Happy Valentine's Day and that's that. I don't have any expectations from him. In fact I try to take my kid's to dinner every year. Last year they wanted to go to McDonald's, so that was our valentines date. I enjoy spending it with them. I do love my Husband but he's not good at showing emotion. So I do my thing. I hate Valentine's Day.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I'm going to sound grumpy but this is truly how I feel about Valentines Day. The little kid parties at school are fine but I don't and never have liked Valentines Day. Single, dating or married, I think it sucks. I remember one year when I was working in this office and one woman actually had a singing group come in and sing to her, a million women got flowers. I sat there in only my first year of marriage, not a card, not a happy Valentine's Day, nothing. I left work that day and went to my Moms house. I didn't want to see my husband. I know that sounds shallow but I was disgusted with the whole day after that. He apologized because he felt guilty because I had at least thought to get him a card and some chocolate. I don't do that anymore. I say Happy Valentine's Day and that's that. I don't have any expectations from him. In fact I try to take my kid's to dinner every year. Last year they wanted to go to McDonald's, so that was our valentines date. I enjoy spending it with them. I do love my Husband but he's not good at showing emotion. So I do my thing. I hate Valentine's Day.
This is one of the reasons why I enjoy your posts, Fenner.

You always give us singles a good dose of reality. We singles tend to have our heads up in the clouds when it comes to relationships and marriages, but you always set us straight! :p

One of my favorite threads ever on this forum was something you posted around this time of year a while back:

http://christianchat.com/christian-singles-forum/108002-what-married-people-do-valentines-day.html

Thank you always for the insightful things you share, and for never talking down to or preaching at us for being single!

And, for all you adventurous singles out there--trying new things, going on an adventure, and putting a skill set to good use always sounds like a great day to me! :)

Lenardzw

Jul 31, 2015
Valentines day is on a Tuesday this year. Tuesday night is "buy a pizza and get another free night" It is also half price night at the cinema.

In other news...
A friend of mine is a florist. So naturally Valentines day is a very busy time for her with all family hands on deck to ensure that roses (obtained from a farm where I worked), chocolates, jewelry or what ever need to go with that Happy Valentines card got to their destination on time. I'd often get a call from her about a day or two later to tell me how it all went.
More often than not there was some angry husband/boyfriend that would show up at the shop demanding to know the name of the man that sent flowers to his wife's/girlfriends workplace. Naturally she wouldn't divulge such information: she runs a business after all, not a "Cheaters" service. In most cases she wouldn't know that information as people would often write their own cards or she would not record "To Monica with love from Horace" on a cash sale invoice.

Aug 2, 2009
That's not right, Fenner. I think someone needs to talks some sense into that hubby of yours. A man who doesn't give his wife a valentine deserves to sleep on the couch.