IT'S TOO LATE NOW!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 3, 2016
no..

He says they were foolish. not that they became foolish. the parable says they took no oil not that they had some but lost it, or had some but not enough. they had lamps, and they even trimmed their lamps, but they had no oil. a dry wick will burn for a little bit then smolder.

no oil means no oil

maybe Jimmy Swaggart ((or whoever)) said they 'used to be saved but somehow used up the Spirit & wiggled out of the Shepherds arms too late to go back to the spiritual gas station' -- but that's not what Jesus​ says.
The scripture says, "...If (condition) you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed (John 8:31)." This is called "The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus (Rom. 8:2)."

Last edited:

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
If you recognize that the "Law" is a curse, why do you promote tithing, which is of the Law?

maybe he only means getting dragged to court for not paying your bills is "a curse" ;)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The scripture says ...
how about continuing in the word by adjusting to the contradiction i pointed out between your comment and the actual scripture?

no oil means no oil. do you agree or do you want to edit the Bible? i mean, we can turn this into another eternal security thread and talk past each other for 300 pages. but i don't see how it profits. IMO we should read these 13 verses clearly and refrain from revising them to fit anyone's private interpretation before we go off on wild deflections.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
We pay for it with our time and efforts.
Buy the truth, and sell [it] not; [also] wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. Proverbs 23:23

thank you, that addage didn't occur to me!
the wise virgins refused to "sell" :)

would you say, with our faith and belief? with fear of God?

wine and milk without money and without cost? ((re: Isaiah 55:1))

Sep 3, 2016
If you recognize that the "Law" is a curse, why do you promote tithing, which is of the Law?

Copy this and study this:
Every Christian trusts the Lord and believes Him in some capacity. The trouble is, most do not trust Him or believe Him correctly.

You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:82

WHAT IS THE TRUTH?

The Truth that the Believer must have, is that the Cross and the Resurrection, which speak of the Finished Work of Christ, pertains not only to our initial Salvation experience, but as well to our everyday Victory over the world, the flesh, and the Devil. The Believer must understand the Truth that he was in Christ when Christ died on the Cross, was in Christ when He was buried, was in Christ when he was raised from the dead, and continues to be in Christ as He is now exalted at the Right Hand of the Father (Roman 6:3-5; Ephesians 2:6). Consequently, if Christ defeated Satan, that means the Christian has defeated Satan. If Christ atoned for all sin, then no sin can attach itself to the Believer, that is, if the Believer keeps trusting Christ. If Christ is a Law-keeper, than the Believer is a Law-keeper. If Christ is victorious, then the Believer is victorious.

The Believer must understand this, trust in this, believe this, and act upon it, even on a daily basis. This is what Jesus meant by us taking up the Cross daily and following Him (Luke 9:23).

This is the "Truth" which we must learn, act upon, and continue to act upon, which guarantees the help of the Holy Spirit.

If the Believer does not know and understand this "Truth" to simply tell him to "trust Jesus," will really not help him that much. It is the same as telling him that he must "get in the Altars." Without knowing this Truth, he won't really know why he is in the Altars.

In fact, he will be attempting to trust the Lord to do something for him, which in fact, has already been done. He will be attempting to have Faith in God for something, that's actually already taking place. He will be attempting to ask the Lord for something, which in reality has already been brought about.

Jimmy Swaggart Bible Commentary

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
total Mandela effect going on here??

lol

Sep 4, 2012
The key issue of the parable of the ten virgins is wise vs. foolish. That issue is addressed in another parable. Notice that those who thought they were serving GOD are sent away as the 5 foolish virgins are.

​“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many miracles in your name?’ And then I will say to them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you who practice lawlessness!’ ​“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain came down and the rivers came and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it did not collapse, because its foundation was laid on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain came down and the rivers came and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it collapsed, and its fall was great.” Matthew 7:21-27

Sep 3, 2016
how about continuing in the word by adjusting to the contradiction i pointed out between your comment and the actual scripture?

no oil means no oil. do you agree or do you want to edit the Bible? i mean, we can turn this into another eternal security thread and talk past each other for 300 pages. but i don't see how it profits. IMO we should read these 13 verses clearly and refrain from revising them to fit anyone's private interpretation before we go off on wild deflections.
vs. 1 - Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten (the number "10" in the Bible speaks of perfection) virgins (represents those who belong to the Lord), which took their lamps (represents the Light of Christ in all Believers), and went forth to meet the bridegroom (Christ).

Sep 3, 2016
vs. 1 - Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten (the number "10" in the Bible speaks of perfection) virgins (represents those who belong to the Lord), which took their lamps (represents the Light of Christ in all Believers), and went forth to meet the bridegroom (Christ).
[SUP]3 [/SUP]They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them (began to live outside the domain of the Holy Spirit):

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

[SUP]9 [/SUP]But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves (proclaims the truth that spiritual energy cannot be derived from others).
[SUP]
10 [/SUP]And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut
(there will come a time, when it's too late; today is the day...(Heb. 3:15).
except for that phrase "spiritual energy" we're on the same page in this post :)

could you explain what exactly you mean by that?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
[SUP]3 [/SUP]They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them (began to live outside the domain of the Holy Spirit):
you think the lamps are the Spirit ?

and the oil is what -- works ?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
• 7 is 'perfection' in Biblical numbers, not 10.

• if 'lamps' represent the light of Christ how can He Himself be 'snuffed out' and how can He Himself be 'without oil' ? lamps are a place where light can be found not the light themselves. for example, if you haven't got any oil in your lamp... you got no light, but you still have a lamp. Matthew 6:22-23 touches on this too; the eye is the lamp, but it isn't the light: the eye ((lamp)) may be dark or may have light; that's a separate issue from the question of whether or not you have an eye ((or lamp)).

Joseppi

Jan 4, 2018
Matthew 25:1-13 (KJV)
1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was closed.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
Five of the virgins were religious, they thought they were saved. Millions presently are in the Church, but not in Christ.

My question is about vs. 3 & 4, how does the Believer receive a constant flow of the Spirit within our hearts and lives daily so we will remain wise and not become foolish?
The kingdom of heaven is likened to ten virgins awaiting their marriage to the bridegroom Jesus Christ.

The ten virgins went out to meet the bridegroom because they all thought that Jesus might come without warning or delay.

But Jesus didn’t come when the ten virgins thought he would, and as they waited during the delay they all fell asleep.

The wise prepared for a delay.
Which is wise because, Jesus said...

Matthew 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only

Matthew 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

Matthew 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

In darkness at midnight, a cry was made...

“Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.”

The cry was made to awaken the slumbering church. The church awoke and all the lamps were trimmed for going out to meet Jesus at his coming.

But the foolish virgins couldn't go out to meet Jesus because their lamps had gone out and they were in darkness without the light of their lamps and had brought no oil to burn.

(I’m curious how this parable fits with...

1. A belief that all prophetic things were fulfilled in 70ad.
2. A belief in a secret rapture.
3. A belief in an escape tribulation rapture.)

The wise couldn’t foolishly share their lamp oil with the foolish. So, they told the fools to go buy some lamp oil for themselves.

Jesus returned while the foolish were off looking to buy lamp oil.

The parable teaches that we must be wise so as to be ready to meet Jesus when he returns.

Thus parable doesn’t seem to agree with a ‘once saved always saved’ doctrine.

Last edited:
K

kaylagrl

No. I asked YOU a question. I would like YOU to answer. I am not interested in the irrelevant commentary of some discredited televangelist.

He can't. He's brainwashed. Swaggart himself doesn't go on about the cross message as much as this guy does.Its like he's stuck on repeat. The cross has already been applied to every Christian who accepted Christ as their Savior. Some people want things to be hard and mysterious,the Bible is simple enough for a child to understand. (as you know)

Sep 3, 2016
• 7 is 'perfection' in Biblical numbers, not 10.

• if 'lamps' represent the light of Christ how can He Himself be 'snuffed out' and how can He Himself be 'without oil' ? lamps are a place where light can be found not the light themselves. for example, if you haven't got any oil in your lamp... you got no light, but you still have a lamp. Matthew 6:22-23 touches on this too; the eye is the lamp, but it isn't the light: the eye ((lamp)) may be dark or may have light; that's a separate issue from the question of whether or not you have an eye ((or lamp)).
Seven is the number of completeness and perfection (both physical and spiritual).
Ten is also viewed as a complete and perfect number, as is 3, 7 and 12.

"Seek Ye First" gives you light from God, so that you know which way to go, which way to turn, which way to move, which way to act, which way to think, which way to walk, which way to talk, which way to relate. You know what to do because the light is shining. You lose that perspective, no wonder you're running into things, tripping over things, falling over things, because that which is light is now dark and you can't see.
In other words you get to take care of you.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The lamp represents the "Light of Christ" in all Believers. The oil represents the "Holy Spirit."
if that's the case having a lamp with no oil makes no sense.
how can a person have Christ in them and not have the Holy Spirit?

reading the rest of Matthew 25 -- these are side by side for a reason. we've got faithful servants vs. wicked, evil servants. sheep and goats. are these both groups of believers, with Christ dwelling in them? or is it the saved and the unsaved? go back to the last paragraph of Matthew 24 - a wise servant taking proper care of the Master's household vs. a wicked servant, not expecting Him to return, derelict of duty and abusing his fellow servants. they're both sealed and saved and have Christ dwelling in them? "i trow not!"

if we can put our Swaggart tracts down for a second and just read it -- no oil means no oil. foolish means foolish. wise means wise. wicked means wicked.

Sep 3, 2016

He can't. He's brainwashed. Swaggart himself doesn't go on about the cross message as much as this guy does.Its like he's stuck on repeat. The cross has already been applied to every Christian who accepted Christ as their Savior. Some people want things to be hard and mysterious,the Bible is simple enough for a child to understand. (as you know)
If you fail to place and maintain your Faith in Christ and the Finished Work of Calvary's Cross where the victory was won, ALL that you do in judged by God as works of iniquity...this is very serious!

You will be the one that says, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
[SUP]
23 [/SUP]And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from
Me, you that work iniquity.