IT'S TOO LATE NOW!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Seven is the number of completeness and perfection (both physical and spiritual).
Ten is also viewed as a complete and perfect number, as is 3, 7 and 12.
where is 10 ever used to represent perfection? scripturally, with sound justification?

the beast in Revelation 13, with 10 horns and 7 heads and 10 crowns -- is that perfect in every way, because 7 & 10 are interchangeable, you say? or is it great ((but imperfect)) power, great ((but imperfect)) authority, and perfect wisdom?

what's perfect about 10 virgins with 5 of them being foolish?

Sep 3, 2016
if that's the case having a lamp with no oil makes no sense.
how can a person have Christ in them and not have the Holy Spirit?

reading the rest of Matthew 25 -- these are side by side for a reason. we've got faithful servants vs. wicked, evil servants. sheep and goats. are these both groups of believers, with Christ dwelling in them? or is it the saved and the unsaved? go back to the last paragraph of Matthew 24 - a wise servant taking proper care of the Master's household vs. a wicked servant, not expecting Him to return, derelict of duty and abusing his fellow servants. they're both sealed and saved and have Christ dwelling in them? "i trow not!"

if we can put our Swaggart tracts down for a second and just read it -- no oil means no oil. foolish means foolish. wise means wise. wicked means wicked.

Five of the virgins were religious, they thought they were saved. Millions presently are in the Church, but not in Christ.

Remember, righteousness is award only if your Faith is placed in Christ and the Finished Work at Calvary's Cross where the victory was won. Anything and everything else is iniquity.

Last edited:

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
[FONT=&quot]You lose that perspective, no wonder you're running into things, tripping over things, falling over things, because that which is light is now dark and you can't see.[/FONT]
In other words you get to take care of you.

we're still a long way off from acknowledging that "they took no oil" means they took no oil - not 'they took a little bit of oil but not enough' or 'they had some oil but it burned up' or 'they had oil but it was old and needed to be recycled' or w/e

and we're still a long way off from acknowledging that they were foolish means they were foolish not that 'they became foolish'

if you're fudging the details, i don't care about the metaphor you draw from them. until you get the facts straight, no way your metaphor is going to be correct. you'll be, as you say here, tripping over yourself in the dark.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
If the Believer does not know and understand this "Truth" to simply tell him to "trust Jesus," will really not help him that much. It is the same as telling him that he must "get in the Altars." Without knowing this Truth, he won't really know why he is in the Altars.

. . .

Jimmy Swaggart Bible Commentary

what is it supposed to mean, "get in the altars" ??

K

kaylagrl

If you fail to place and maintain your Faith in Christ and the Finished Work of Calvary's Cross where the victory was won, ALL that you do in judged by God as works of iniquity...this is very serious!

You will be the one that says, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
[SUP]
23 [/SUP]And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from
Me, you that work iniquity.
I do not believe in once saved,I believe you can walk away from the faith.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Five of the virgins were religious, they thought they were saved. Millions presently are in the Church, but not in Christ.
yes

but you're contradicting yourself here, because you said the lamp is the light of Christ in them -- all of the virgins, foolish and wise, have lamps. it's what i'm trying to tell you. they got lamps, but they ain't got oil. we all got lamps! but not everyone has Christ: and all who have Christ have the Spirit that Christ Himself gives to all who are in Him.

you're also revealing the flaw in your numerology: "millions" ~ many, as i said 10 represents. not "a perfect number of people" but "many, millions, much"

"many" people have this parable wrong because they think "took no oil" means 'took oil, but wrong amount' or 'took oil, but needed a new oil filter' or 'took oil but trimmed their wicks wrong and ran out too fast' -- it's what i'm trying to tell you :) "no oil" means "no oil"

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
somehow i think this all comes out of a sneaky plan to convince people that Holy Spirit is a non-renewable commodity which can only be maintained by giving someone money on a weekly basis.

:p

don't miss a weekly donation/payment! don't want to be caught with your tank empty! apply now for a holy spirit credit card and get 5¢ off per gallon for the first 3 months!

;)

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Matthew 25:1-13 King James Version (KJV)

25 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

[SUP]
2 [/SUP]And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

[SUP]
3 [/SUP]They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

[SUP]
4 [/SUP]But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

[SUP]
5 [/SUP]While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

[SUP]
6 [/SUP]And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

[SUP]
7 [/SUP]Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

[SUP]
8[/SUP]And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
[SUP]

9 [/SUP]But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

[SUP]
10 [/SUP]And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

[SUP]
11 [/SUP]Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

[SUP]
12 [/SUP]But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

[SUP]
13 [/SUP]Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

My question is about vs. 3 & 4, how does the Believer receive a constant flow of the Spirit within our hearts and lives daily so we will remain wise and not become foolish?
Spending time with God however that may be. I think we all should spend more personal time with him and I also think we should speak with him more. Communication is key to getting to know someone and spending time is key to becoming close to them. Personally I cannot go one day without spending time with him I relish spending time with him and getting to know him.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
...The "Law" is a curse.
If you recognize that the "Law" is a curse, why do you promote tithing, which is of the Law?

You responded, but you did not answer the question. Please answer the question without copy-pasting stuff from another source. I am interested in YOUR answer, not someone else's.

Joseppi

Jan 4, 2018
Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

The word of God is the lamp and the light.

In the parable of the ten virgins, the virgins are likened unto the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus said, Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

The church is the kingdom of heaven on earth, that, as the body of Christ, is at hand to offer entrance into the kingdom of God to all who repent and believe the gospel of Jesus.

And the virgins are virgins in that they have kept themselves faithful to Jesus.

I think that we must admit that this parable of the ten virgins isn’t in agreement with many doctrines popular today. And it is best to adjust our understanding accordingly. Especially today as we quickly approach the coming of Jesus.

Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

The word of God is the lamp and the light.

In the parable of the ten virgins, the virgins are likened unto the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus said, Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

The church is the kingdom of heaven on earth, that, as the body of Christ, is at hand to offer entrance into the kingdom of God to all who repent and believe the gospel of Jesus.

And the virgins are virgins in that they have kept themselves faithful to Jesus.

I think that we must admit that this parable of the ten virgins isn’t in agreement with many doctrines popular today. And it is best to adjust our understanding accordingly. Especially today as we quickly approach the coming of Jesus.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
For what it's worth, my understanding of "living in the Spirit" is when we are focused on loving, worshiping, and directing our thoughts toward Jesus, God's one and only human born Son.

When we are focused on Jesus, God's Son, the Holy Spirit is working in us and drawing us closer to Him.

If we are focused on the Holy Spirit, for instance, the Holy Spirit is not working in us. The Holy Spirit never points to Himself. Those who do are either mistaken or, perhaps, deceived.

Perhaps, the lamps are like churches who once had the Holy Spirit working in them but have since dried up. Other churches (or believers) still love and worship God's Son, Jesus.

Just an idle thought.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
google only finds one result for "get in the altars" -- this very thread.

google finds 0 results for "
get in the altar"

without quotes, google finds a zillion how-to pages on building your own pagan altar.

???

where does this phrase come from? i don't get it.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
somehow i think this all comes out of a sneaky plan to convince people that Holy Spirit is a non-renewable commodity which can only be maintained by giving someone money on a weekly basis.

:p

don't miss a weekly donation/payment! don't want to be caught with your tank empty! apply now for a holy spirit credit card and get 5¢ off per gallon for the first 3 months!

;)
Make it 10 cents a gallon for the first 6 months and I might consider the offer. It's best not to run on fumes. :)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
google only finds one result for "get in the altars" -- this very thread.

google finds 0 results for "
get in the altar"

without quotes, google finds a zillion how-to pages on building your own pagan altar.

???

where does this phrase come from? i don't get it.

from here?

Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so.We have an altar from which those who minister at the tabernacle have no right to eat.
(Hebrews 13:9-10)

or here?

When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained.
(Revelation 6:9)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Make it 10 cents a gallon for the first 6 months and I might consider the offer. It's best not to run on fumes. :)

hmm how about refills on coffee, a tote bag and 4 chili dog coupons?

abcdef

Mar 30, 2016
Which virgins really cared? And which virgins didn't care enough? Where were their hearts? Who loved the groom? Who's love was on "fire"?

Both came to the wedding, but who cared more? Who was exited? Who wanted to make sure things were right.

Could you say that the 5 foolish didn't care enough to bring oil just in case the groom delayed?

Maybe you could say that they were luke warm. Not that excited, not that concerned, not prepared for the delay.

When the groom came, the 5 foolish found that their lamps were empty. They had no fire left, the lamps were cold and dark.

Empty vessels.

------

The Holy Spirit of Jesus' love for us is the oil. We can't be quiet about the love of Jesus. It's coming out of us, the joy of salvation, the forgiveness, eternity with Jesus, when you have the gospel spirit, you just can't stop talking about Jesus!

This is the salvation gospel light of Jesus' love, shining through us into the darkness of the lost.

If you are not speaking the gospel love light to others, maybe you need to trim your lamp. Maybe you need to fill your lamp. Get on fire.

-----

I do know this, you might not make it into heaven unless you bring some one with you. You know, bear fruit. Plant the seed, water the wheat, fruits of the spirit, bear witness to God's love through Jesus.

This would be the result of the oil love light shining, salvation to those around you who accept Jesus.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
from here?

Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so.We have an altar from which those who minister at the tabernacle have no right to eat.
(Hebrews 13:9-10)

hmm if i keep reading,

The high priest carries the blood of animals into the Most Holy Place as a sin offering, but the bodies are burned outside the camp. And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through His own blood. Let us, then, go to Him outside the camp, bearing the disgrace He bore. For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come.
(Hebrews 13:11-14)​

it seems like i'm actually instructed not to '
get in the altars' but in fact to go outside the camp, away from the altar, because that's where Jesus is. if that's what's meant by the phrase. ((?))

religious-sounding catch phrases actually turning out to be exactly the opposite of what the word teaches is kinda par for the course. i remember a pastor giving a big "
get out of the boat!" sermon, referencing Peter walking on the water and making all kinds of allegories out of it, and carrying the phrase on for a few months, for example. but when i read the account, guess what -- Jesus didn't ask Peter to get out of the boat; it was Peters idea because of Peter's lack of faith - "if it's really you.." Peter said. and Peter sank out there. yes, Christ immediately saved him - and then put him back in the boat. the whole incident actually starts with Christ telling the disciples to get in the boat and head out!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
hmm how about refills on coffee, a tote bag and 4 chili dog coupons?
Yeah, a promotion like that I could go for. If you're not filled with the Holy Spirit at least your tummy is full with a steaming cup of coffee in your hand. I could put my bible in the tote bag.

Nov 23, 2013
Matthew 25:1-13 King James Version (KJV)

25 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

[SUP]
2 [/SUP]And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

[SUP]
3 [/SUP]They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

[SUP]
4 [/SUP]But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

[SUP]
5 [/SUP]While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

[SUP]
6 [/SUP]And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

[SUP]
7 [/SUP]Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

[SUP]
8[/SUP]And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
[SUP]

9 [/SUP]But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

[SUP]
10 [/SUP]And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

[SUP]
11 [/SUP]Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

[SUP]
12 [/SUP]But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

[SUP]
13 [/SUP]Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

My question is about vs. 3 & 4, how does the Believer receive a constant flow of the Spirit within our hearts and lives daily so we will remain wise and not become foolish?
[h=1]Psalm 119:105 King James Version (KJV)[/h][FONT=&quot]105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

It seems to me that the lamp is the word of God and the oil is what gives light to it. So I would say just ask the Lord for the oil and don't try to buy illumination from those that sell. :)[/FONT]