Jerusalem, Jerusalem, how I long to gather you like a hen gathers it chicks under...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
...its wings.

Does God have a special place in his heart for cities?
The bible mentions dozens of important cities, from when Cain started one to Nimrod to Nineveh and of course Jerusalem, to mention just a few. Their influence on this world and even the role they will play in the future is not debatable.
He is the God of relationship, and where do more people relate and cross each others paths and exchange ideas and wealth and power but in cities?
But does that also mean that cities are also a blight because of all the evil that tends to propagate them?

A

AuntieAnt

I always get tears in my eyes when I read that verse.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
...its wings.

Does God have a special place in his heart for cities?
The bible mentions dozens of important cities, from when Cain started one to Nimrod to Nineveh and of course Jerusalem, to mention just a few. Their influence on this world and even the role they will play in the future is not debatable.
He is the God of relationship, and where do more people relate and cross each others paths and exchange ideas and wealth and power but in cities?
But does that also mean that cities are also a blight because of all the evil that tends to propagate them?
I believe Jesus uses Jerusalem here because it was the capital of a nation, the focal point of Jewish worship, governance and culture. Jesus laments for them, not because of the concept of economics or geographical/physical attributes, but because the most of them were lost and rejected Him, especially the religious rulers.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Jesus loved the people of Jerusalem and was lamenting over them because time and time again they had rejected God and rejected his messengers.. Jesus was actually revealing that He was God

Luke 13:
34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!

Psalm 91 KJV
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. 5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

P

pottersclay

The saddest part about this is the book of Daniel prophesied of this very day. What a heart break it must of been.

P

psalm6819

That's His heart of love breaking because those who will not accept His sacrifice the nations, cities and individuals

P

pottersclay

The compassion, the love, the passion for the word of God, the obedience to the father, the trust and security he had, I pray the father instills in us all, that witness.

Mar 28, 2016
I believe Jesus uses Jerusalem here because it was the capital of a nation, the focal point of Jewish worship, governance and culture. Jesus laments for them, not because of the concept of economics or geographical/physical attributes, but because the most of them were lost and rejected Him, especially the religious rulers.
Yes. The scriptures were not written to represent the temporal kingdoms of this word as political kingdoms .But rather a faith in respect to the eternal not seen.

God uses architectural metaphors in parables to represent his bride the church. We a can see that in serval places as the golden thread woven through the whole picture he reveals to us. .

Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. 1Peter 2:5

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. Rev 21:1

I believe the Jews in respect to their outward flesh were used as metaphors using the temporal land seen (Jerusalem). That as a shadow pointed to the eternal not seen .The new heavenly Jerusalem, is also referred to a Zion . This is according to the instructions he has given us so we can hear Him rightly to understand the spiritual principle hid from the unbeliever.( no faith)

2Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

This was up until the promised reformation when he restored the order back to the period of time called Judges. The period when there were no outward person, that another person could but their faith in.

Men then walked by faith. But the apostate Jewish elders would nothing to do with the judges .They had become jealous of the surrounding pagan nations that walked by sight, and wanted a king like them.

Zion, used to indicate the Jews and Gentile(no difference) who have been born again and as new creatures have received a new incorruptible eternal spirit. It is the same as the new heavenly Jerusalem the eternal land

The temporal earthly Jerusalem will be destroyed seeing the whole creation including the land suffers as in birth pain to be delivered form the incorruptible bondage to the new incorruptible land . Never again to suffer in a decaying process leading to death and total destruction.

I think Isaiah 62 helps give us some of the spiritual understanding needed to find the meaning of the architectural metaphors.

For Zion's sake will I not hold my peace, and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest, until the righteousness thereof go forth as brightness, and the salvation thereof as a lamp that burneth.And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name.Thou shalt also be a crown of glory in the hand of the LORD, and a royal diadem in the hand of thy God.Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall thy land any more be termed Desolate: but thou shalt be called Hephzibah, and thy land Beulah: for the LORD delighteth in thee, and thy land “shall be married” .For as a young man marrieth a virgin, so shall thy sons marry thee: and as the bridegroom rejoiceth over the bride, so shall thy God rejoice over thee. Isa 62:1
Along the same line keeping with using the word city to represent his wife the church . We are informed; “and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name.”

That name he named us is Christian in the book of Acts, a word when looking at the meaning without adding another simply mean; “residents of the city of Christ” under its founder Christ, our husband . It seems to lost that way of understanding the purpose for naming us.

It is used just like any other city in respect to its founder. Like the Thessalonians, meaning residents of that city Thessaloniki who founder was named after a wife,Thessalonike , a half-sister of Alexander the great

So we can see that even the new name he named us has to do with architectural metaphors in parable or patterns of that not seen, that represent the people and the new eternal land, as married .