Jesus didn’t die for us to be miserable

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 28, 2016
I read she said that 26 years ago. And I believe she might have believed that then. But, I have listened to her on TV, been to several of her seminars, and spoken directly to her, face-to-face, three times. I have not heard this. When did you say it was you heard her preaching that?
Matt Slick contacted her 'ministries' headquarters wanting to discuss her beliefs with them. He left them this...

"I'm Rev. Matt Slick, the president of the Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry, carm.org. CARM is a very large and popular apologetics site (1.3 million monthly page views). I'm doing research on Joyce Meyer and her teachings and have serious concerns about some of the things she has taught. Instead of writing articles based on information from years ago, I would very much like to submit a list of questions to her (and/or interview her) regarding Christian theology, soteriology, and christology to find out what her present views are. I can submit a list of questions so as to get the most current teachings she has in these areas. The information would then be used on the CARM.org website, radio show, and books. I want accurate information so as to not misrepresent Mrs. Meyer in anyway. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response. Rev. Matt Slick, M.Div. President, carm.org."

She never contacted them. This was in 2011. If she did not hold to those erroneous beliefs still, then why did she not get back with them in the last 6+ years?

You're like Grace777, if there's a heretic mentioned, you rush to their defense. Why?

Dec 28, 2016
Matt Slick contacted her 'ministries' headquarters wanting to discuss her beliefs with them. He left them this...

"I'm Rev. Matt Slick, the president of the Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry, carm.org. CARM is a very large and popular apologetics site (1.3 million monthly page views). I'm doing research on Joyce Meyer and her teachings and have serious concerns about some of the things she has taught. Instead of writing articles based on information from years ago, I would very much like to submit a list of questions to her (and/or interview her) regarding Christian theology, soteriology, and christology to find out what her present views are. I can submit a list of questions so as to get the most current teachings she has in these areas. The information would then be used on the CARM.org website, radio show, and books. I want accurate information so as to not misrepresent Mrs. Meyer in anyway. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response. Rev. Matt Slick, M.Div. President, carm.org."

She never contacted them. This was in 2011. If she did not hold to those erroneous beliefs still, then why did she not get back with them in the last 6+ years?

You're like Grace777, if there's a heretic mentioned, you rush to their defense. Why?
There were scoffers just like Willie who rushed to defend Hymenaeus and Philetus in their day. Nothing new under the sun bro.

Dec 28, 2016
I can see some of you at the Pearly Gates, telling God how you suffered so miserably joyfully for Him........ and Him just sadly shaking His head, saying you never had to, sad that you never understood Him at all.
God doesn't place up in bubble wrap and place us in a cave. He has commanded us to go out into the world and proclaim the gospel to everyone. Some have lost their lives in doing this.

How would you feel if you, in a time you were mocked for your belief, did not stand up for God, and then that got thrown up in your face on the day of Judgment?

How would you feel if there came a time you were told to reject Him or die, and you rejected Him in fear for your life, and that got thrown up in your face on the day of Judgment?

There have been many CHRISTians who were beheaded by ISIS due to their CHRISTian beliefs, and would not recant Him. Don't you think that's the ultimate way to glorify God? I would like to think if I was put in their place, I'd be like Martin Luther and say...

"World, death, devil, hell, away and leave me in peace! You have no hold on me. If you will not let me live, then I will die. But you won't succeed in that. Chop my head off, and it won't harm me. I have a God who will give me a new one."

Dec 28, 2016
There were scoffers just like Willie who rushed to defend Hymenaeus and Philetus in their day. Nothing new under the sun bro.
I have been blessed by preaching some from the OT these last few months. I went through the first three chapters of Hosea and then I preached a little from Deuteronomy. The thing that God showed me is that those who don't know their history, are doomed to repeat it. Ppl who scoffed God's ppl and rushed to the defense of heretics are just as rampant today...maybe even worse...as they were in biblical times. Ppl are dooming themselves because they fail to see what those scoffers did in the bible are the exact same thing(s) they're doing now. :(

Jan 12, 2018
James 1:2-8 NIV
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, [3] because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. [4] Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. [5] If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. [6] But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. [7] That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. [8] Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

Sep 3, 2016
Trustin the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verilythou shalt be fed (in other words, don’t look to the wicked or at the wicked, butrather “the Lord,” and in Him put your “trust”).

Delight thyselfalso in theLord]: and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart (what a Promise!).

Committhy way unto the; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass.

AndHe shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as thenoonday (these things will ultimately be rewarded).

Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him: fret not thyself because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked devices to pass (in Verses 3-7 we have the four keys to avictorious life: “Trust,” “Delight,” “Commit,” and “Rest”).

Last edited:
A

Ariel82

I was watching a Joyce Meyer video today and she said something that really resonated with me that I wanted to share. She said ‘Jesus didn’t die for us to be miserable’. How true is that. We go through life worried, anxious, etc. and what for? What was the point of Jesus going through all that if we’re just going to be unhappy. I hope this message lifts your spirits. God bless.
When folks understand how Paul could sing a joyful song while beaten and bruised in prison,they will understand what the Bible says of joy and understand God's true promises.

Joyce Meyers gives folks candy coated ding and false promises that are just twisted scruptures like what Satan did to Jesus when he told him to jump off a cliff.

We should answer as He did "do not test the Lord thee God"

Unspoken part....cuz he just might let you die.

Jan 12, 2018
When folks understand how Paul could sing a joyful song while beaten and bruised in prison,they will understand what the Bible says of joy and understand God's true promises.

Joyce Meyers gives folks candy coated ding and false promises that are just twisted scruptures like what Satan did to Jesus when he told him to jump off a cliff.

We should answer as He did "do not test the Lord thee God"

Unspoken part....cuz he just might let you die.
Romans 12:2 NIV
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is---his good, pleasing and perfect will.

2 Corinthians 13:5 NIV
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you---unless, of course, you fail the test?

1 John 4:1 NIV
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Sep 3, 2016
Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily you shall be fed (in other words, don’t look to the wicked or at the wicked, but rather “the Lord,” and in Him put your “trust”).

Delight yourself also in the LORD: and He shall give you the desires of your heart (what a Promise!).

Commit your way unto the; trust also in Him; and He shall bring it to pass.

And He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your judgment as the noonday (these things will ultimately be rewarded).

Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him: fret not yourself because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked devices to pass (in Verses 3-7 we have the four keys to a victorious life: “Trust,” “Delight,” “Commit,” and “Rest”).
And He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water (symbol of the Holy Spirit [John 7:37-39]), that brings forth His Fruit in His Season (John 15:1-8); His Leaf also shall prosper ("His Leaf" corresponds with the "Tree of Life"; everything that man does dies; everything Jesus does lives forever and is blessed).

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
The cross is miserable. We are to carry our cross daily. However, we find comfort in the peace that surpasses understanding- salvation and the joy of the Lord- which is our strength to go on. But if you concentrate directly on not being miserable you’re going to lay down your cross and start living for pleasure- which leads to focusing on self and commiting sin.

Our focus should be to obey God, not to not be miserable. Sometimes God’s Will includes going through miserable things. I’m sure Jesus didn’t find pleasure in the cross, but I’m also sure He experienced some peace in pleasing God and looking forward to His eternal rest, never to be miserable again.

“Each of you must work out your salvation with fear and trembling.”

Nov 12, 2015
I was watching a Joyce Meyer video today and she said something that really resonated with me that I wanted to share. She said ‘Jesus didn’t die for us to be miserable’. How true is that. We go through life worried, anxious, etc. and what for? What was the point of Jesus going through all that if we’re just going to be unhappy. I hope this message lifts your spirits. God bless.
Well this got me really thinking hard...
He died so I could live.
Yet I have to lose my life to find my life.
And this involves an unhappy struggle at first because I want to keep my life of pride, my possession, my rights.
I want to follow Him without giving away all I own in this regard. So I have had a lot of misery and struggle.

Not sure if He calls everyone to the same...level of surrender while on earth. I can only speak about where He has led me.

So it's true that He didn't die for me to be miserable. He died so I could live. But getting there can be miserable. It's giving up everything you have known to go a way that you don't know at all, in the total darkness of faith alone.

I'm glad that Joyce is able to help some people though. She doesn't help me. But I've found some dead mens writings that God gave me as spiritual helpmeets, so He hasn't left me without others who were led this way of giving up their lives while on earth. He gives us what is necessary to us, so He is good to all of us. :)

Sep 3, 2016
The cross is miserable. We are to carry our cross daily. However, we find comfort in the peace that surpasses understanding- salvation and the joy of the Lord- which is our strength to go on. But if you concentrate directly on not being miserable you’re going to lay down your cross and start living for pleasure- which leads to focusing on self and commiting sin.

Our focus should be to obey God, not to not be miserable. Sometimes God’s Will includes going through miserable things. I’m sure Jesus didn’t find pleasure in the cross, but I’m also sure He experienced some peace in pleasing God and looking forward to His eternal rest, never to be miserable again.

“Each of you must work out your salvation with fear and trembling.”
To take up our cross simply means to receive all the benefits I have provide for you.

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
Well this got me really thinking hard...
He died so I could live.
Yet I have to lose my life to find my life.
And this involves an unhappy struggle at first because I want to keep my life of pride, my possession, my rights.
I want to follow Him without giving away all I own in this regard. So I have had a lot of misery and struggle.

Not sure if He calls everyone to the same...level of surrender while on earth. I can only speak about where He has led me.

So it's true that He didn't die for me to be miserable. He died so I could live. But getting there can be miserable. It's giving up everything you have known to go a way that you don't know at all, in the total darkness of faith alone.
This is a great post so true so so true. Thank you! halleluYah!

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
To take up our cross simply means to receive all the benefits I have provide for you.
Matthew 16:24-26, ISR

"16:24, "Then יהושע said to His taught ones, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his stake, and follow Me."

16:25, "“For whoever wishes to save his life shall lose it, and whoever loses his life for My sake shall find it."

16:26, "“For what is a man profited if he gains all the world, and loses his own life? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his life?"

Matthew 16:24-26English Standard Version (ESV)
[SUP]24 [/SUP]Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. [SUP]

25 [/SUP]For whoever would save his life[SUP][a][/SUP] will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
[SUP]
26 [/SUP]For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017

Hi Christianguy85., Very much agree with you and Joyce M. God sent Jesus to give us life and that more abundantly. Yes.,we will have tribulation in this life coming from 3 places; 1.the world. 2. the flesh. 3. the devil. Not from God. He is the loving Father who sent His only Son to deliver us and save us.

Joyce M. is an awesome lady who I began listening to some years ago. She is not a heretic far from it. Although I don't agree with all she teaches, I agree with a lot of it. A sad fact about us humans is we know how to defame someone and be very self righteous about it. When we label other people., we give ourselves permission to condemn them and even hate them. This should not be coming from Christians.

Below is an article entitled Does the Lord Create Evil. I hope those who read it will find it enlightening and something to think about.

[FONT=&quot]
Whenever I tell people that God is good and he is not the One making them sick nor is he responsible for the bad things going on in the world, I can guarantee that I will get two cynical responses. (1) “Tell that to Job,” and (2) “That’s not what is says in Isaiah 45.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
As I have looked at the foolish words of Job elsewhere, today I want to look at the words of Isaiah:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
This is a stunning verse – as we shall see – but it has been used for terrible purposes. “Have you got cancer? God did it. Lost your child? God needed another angel in heaven. There was another school shooting? A deadly earthquake? A devastating hurricane? God ‘allowed’ these things to happen, for he is the author of both good and evil.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
What nonsense. We are supposed to “Ascribe greatness to our God” not evil. His work is perfect and just, not imperfect and bad (Deu 32:3-4).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
If you want to know what God is like, look to Jesus who is the exact representation of his being (Heb 1:3). To how many people did Jesus give sickness? When did Jesus ever comfort a grieving parent with useless words? Get your picture of God from Job and you will think that God gives and takes away. But the God Jesus reveals only gives good gifts, and he never takes back what he gives us.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
So what do we make of these words of Isaiah about God creating evil? Let’s read them in context:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
This is what the Lord says to his anointed, to Cyrus… (Isaiah 45:1)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
When Cyrus the Great arrived at the gates of Babylon in 540BC, he was welcomed by 40,000 Jewish captives as a liberator. One of them handed Cyrus a letter that had been written 150 years previously by the prophet Isaiah. The letter contained the words of the Lord to a man from the east (Is 41:25) – a man who did not know the Lord, but who had been summoned by name:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
This is what the Lord says to his anointed, to Cyrus… I summon you by name and bestow on you a title of honor, though you do not acknowledge me. (Isa 45:1,4)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Imagine getting a personally-addressed letter from the Lord written when Abraham Lincoln was president! A letter like that would get your attention.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
In the letter God identifies Cyrus by name, calls him “my shepherd,” and says he will rebuild Jerusalem and the temple. According to the historian Josephus, when Cyrus read these words:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
An earnest desire and ambition seized upon him to fulfill what was so written; so he called for the most eminent Jews that were in Babylon, and said to them, that he gave them leave to go back to their own country, and to rebuild their city Jerusalem, and the temple of God. – Antiquities of the Jews, 11.1.2[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Cyrus is a huge figure in the Old Testament. Not only did Isaiah write to him before he was born, but he’s mentioned in Ezra, Daniel worked for him, and he was instrumental in the fulfillment of Jeremiah’s prophecies regarding the restoration of Israel.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
So the first thing to note about Isaiah 45:7 is that these words were not written to you, but to an ancient Persian. This is very important because God talks to this Persian in his language not your language. He uses concepts Cyrus understands but which are foreign to you. Let me explain.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
The Persian was not raised with a Judeo-Christian heritage. He was oblivious to the God of Israel. So how does God introduce himself? Not as, “The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob,” for that would’ve meant nothing to Cyrus. Instead, he uses words and phrases that makes sense to someone raised under the dualistic religion of the Persians. According to Adam Clarke,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
It was the great principle of the Magian religion, which prevailed in Persia in the time of Cyrus, and in which probably he was educated, that there are two supreme, co-eternal, and independent causes always acting in opposition one to the other; one the author of all good, the other of all evil. The good being they called Light; the evil being, Darkness.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Persians believed that the affairs of men were governed by two opposing forces, good and evil, light and dark. “Nope,” said God to Cyrus. “It’s just me. I am the Creator of all.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the Lord, do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7, NIV)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
The Persians brought disaster to the Babylonians and prosperity to the Jewish exiles, but God wanted Cyrus to know who was behind it all:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
I will go before you and make the rough places smooth… So that you may know that it is I, The Lord, the God of Israel, who calls you by your name. (Isaiah 45:2-3, NASB)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
If it hadn’t been for this letter, Cyrus might have thought he was The Man. But on account of this letter Cyrus recognized that he was but a player on a stage directed by the God of all.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
This is what the Lord says… who carries out the words of his servants and fulfills the predictions of his messengers, who says of Jerusalem, “It shall be inhabited,” of the towns of Judah, “They shall be rebuilt,” and of their ruins, “I will restore them” (Isa 44:24-26)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
The words of Isaiah are simply stunning. They literally changed the course of history. They prompted Cyrus to free the Jews and fund the restoration of Jerusalem.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
But you have to wonder what went through Isaiah’s mind when he wrote them. “Rebuild the temple?” It hadn’t yet been destroyed. “Inhabit Jerusalem?” What disaster is about to fall on Judah? “God creates evil?” But God is good![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! (Isaiah 5:20)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Don’t let anyone tell you that God is both good and bad, sweet and bitter. Don’t believe the lie that says he is responsible for the bad things going on in the world. He isn’t. Light has no fellowship with darkness. God is all the time good.[/FONT]

D

Depleted

Actually, I wouldn't have responded either, other than Deep Sixing the request. He wants to profit from her words? Why would anyone say yes? If I have something to say, I'll say it myself.

Nov 12, 2015
I've begun to understand a little about this. :)

For example, I have hated someone for the way they have treated me - very unfairly and awfully - and then came to see that the way they treated me led me to a great struggle over the past few years that ended in immense blessing. And I was shocked, but God used them to bring me insane good. And so I came to love them because they were an instrument in His hand to bless me. It's all so strange! It reminds me of what one man said, something like...Josephs brothers would never have done such good for his soul if they had treated him well as they did by their hatred and abuse. But that's all part of the wonder of His ways - that someone could mean it for evil but God means it for great good and the darkness cannot overcome the light!

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
How is that burdensome, to just accept benefits? How is that a cross to bear? Having to give up a family member because you choose to obey God- that’s a cross to bear. Having to give up money, land, houses, or other possessions, or even your life for the sake of Christianity- that is a cross. Living for God instead of living for pleasure is a cross. The benefits are for those who bear their cross daily. The cross is persecution, sacrifice, and hardship.

Sep 3, 2016
How is that burdensome, to just accept benefits? How is that a cross to bear? Having to give up a family member because you choose to obey God- that’s a cross to bear. Having to give up money, land, houses, or other possessions, or even your life for the sake of Christianity- that is a cross. Living for God instead of living for pleasure is a cross. The benefits are for those who bear their cross daily. The cross is persecution, sacrifice, and hardship.
Luke 9:23- And He said to them all, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.

Denial of self is humbling yourself while presenting your body as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1). It is recognizing my moral and spiritual poverty, that there is no good in me and that I am unable to serve God in my own strength and power. We see this in the first three Beatitudes (Matthew 5).

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Take up your cross is seen in Matthew 5:6

6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

I am filled by God's provisions found in Christ by placing my Faith exclusively in Christ and Him Crucified (Believing who Jesus is, and what Jesus has done), and I receive all the benefits of this Resurrection Life by understanding that we have been planted together (Christ and ourselves) in the likeness of His Death (Romans 6:3-5).

The Believer who believes that God is in total control of their life is yoked with Jesus (resting). Matthew 11:29-30

All that I have stated is not a work of labor but an act of Faith by believing only.

Faith without works is dead, i.e., Faith without believing only is dead.

Last edited: