John 16:12-13

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
A friend of mine just quoted to me the following Scripture. What am I to make of it?

[12] I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
[13] When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. John 16:12-13 RSV

I

ilovehillsong

I would guess it means that we don't know everything because God hasn't told us, and we have to trust him to reveal the right knowledge at the right time.

This is good, but be careful not to use it in the context of when someone asks you a question and you don't know the answer.

Dec 19, 2009
I would guess it means that we don't know everything because God hasn't told us, and we have to trust him to reveal the right knowledge at the right time.

This is good, but be careful not to use it in the context of when someone asks you a question and you don't know the answer.
Can you explain that second sentence?

I

ilovehillsong

Like when someone goes "Why doesn't God do this?" or "How can you justify this as a Christian?", and then someone else goes "no-one can understand God's plan."

I hate that, it just sounds really aloof, and doesn't help the person who asked the question.

Dec 19, 2009
Like when someone goes "Why doesn't God do this?" or "How can you justify this as a Christian?", and then someone else goes "no-one can understand God's plan."

I hate that, it just sounds really aloof, and doesn't help the person who asked the question.
I think I understand.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
A friend of mine just quoted to me the following Scripture. What am I to make of it?

[12] I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.
[13] When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. John 16:12-13 RSV
Jesus was telling His disciples that when the Holy Spirit will be sent to them, that they will have the ability to remember everything that He told them. Also, He (Holy Spirit) will tell them everything that they need to know to set up Christ's church on the earth. He (Holy Spirit) will guide them in knowing what to say when persecuted, and in solving ongoing problems. This occured on Pentacost when the Apostles were "filled with the Holy Spirit", receiving miraculous gifts and being given the pattern Gr. "tupos" for setting up the church, (Acts 2). Christ's church on the earth was then set up under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, sent by Jesus.

Dec 19, 2009
Jesus was telling His disciples that when the Holy Spirit will be sent to them, that they will have the ability to remember everything that He told them. Also, He (Holy Spirit) will tell them everything that they need to know to set up Christ's church on the earth. He (Holy Spirit) will guide them in knowing what to say when persecuted, and in solving ongoing problems. This occured on Pentacost when the Apostles were "filled with the Holy Spirit", receiving miraculous gifts and being given the pattern Gr. "tupos" for setting up the church, (Acts 2). Christ's church on the earth was then set up under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, sent by Jesus.
I like your point about being able to remember what he told them. It is the same with the Bible isn’t it?. We remember what we’ve read in the Bible.

superdave5221

Jul 28, 2009
I like your point about being able to remember what he told them. It is the same with the Bible isn’t it?. We remember what we’ve read in the Bible.
Exactly. Since I have been reading the Bible prayerfully, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I can remember things that before meant nothing to me. Many of the things that Jesus had told the Apostles, they did not understand fully at the time, not being spiritually mature enough. Now with the help of the Holy Spirit, they would remember these things, and understand them. Furthermore, they would be given instructions about the church, which beforetime they had not received.

L

lighthousejohn

The Holy Spirit was sent to give us direction and guidance. He tells us the right things to say and when to say them. The scripture states "for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak". He gets direction from God for our lives. We have the option to obey or not. I have done both; trust me when I say that it is better to obey than not.

G

greatkraw

The Holy Spirit was sent to give us direction and guidance. He tells us the right things to say and when to say them. The scripture states "for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak". He gets direction from God for our lives. We have the option to obey or not. I have done both; trust me when I say that it is better to obey than not.
yep..........................................

S

Slepsog4

The passage in question is addressed to the Apostles on the night Jesus' instituted the Lord's Supper. He was speaking of their ministry. He explained the inspiration by the Holy Spirit to remember what Jesus personally taught and things yet to be revealed.

This passage is too often hijacked to claim illumination of the reader today, rather than the inspiration of the writer then.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009

I felt the same way at one time. Mostly because it made me feel like they were saying I could not understand.
But now I find great peace in this.
Many times with knowladge comes great burdens. Thankfully with Jesus we can carry these.
But with so much that is not understood, it comforts me to know that God Our Father does ,and carrys all understanding for us.
I used to think I needed to know everything.
Then God Our Father showed me one of those things I thought I had to know.
All I can say is that the understanding was too great and sorrowfull for my heart to bare.
Then God Our Father lifted it and carried it again for me.
Some one once compared it to asking a child to lifting and carrying an object to great and heavy for them. It could hurt the child to try.
That is why the father carried it instead.
In the same way do you know anyone here on earth strong enough and rightous enough to know everything and apply its use?
I think Id rather let all knowladge remain with God Our Father. :)
Next time you hear some one say no one can understand Gods plan, consider instead that it is less about us not being able to, and more about him understanding it all and doing the heavy work for you.
Knowladge is good and we should seek it in Jesus.
But its good also that the one that made all is keeping it all for us untill we are able.
Your love and faith encourages my heart, you are a bright light in faith.
Keep shinning!
Smiles and God bless, pickles