Judas

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 8, 2009
Even if it were delayed, then that is still one example of God changing his mind is it not?

L

lighthousejohn

To change one's mind means to reverse a decision. God did not reverse His decision. The Bible is full of examples of God delaying a decree. But if God changes His mind, then why should we believe anything He says? On the hope that on a whim he will decide against us. We might as well roll the dice and take our chances.

Jan 8, 2009
Maybe we can compare what the bible says. The bible says:

10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he had threatened.
Jonah’s Anger at the Lord’s Compassion
4 But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry. 2 He prayed to the Lord, “O Lord, is this not what I said when I was still at home? That is why I was so quick to flee to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity.

You make a case for God not changing his mind, not based upon what the bible says (unless you have some verse to support it), but upon history? There could be any number of reasons why ninevah was destroyed later by the Medes - God's fulfillment of this prophecy (which it clearly says he had relented from) is probably not one of them.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
To change one's mind means to reverse a decision. God did not reverse His decision. The Bible is full of examples of God delaying a decree. But if God changes His mind, then why should we believe anything He says? On the hope that on a whim he will decide against us. We might as well roll the dice and take our chances.
There are actually many examples. Just one is when God wanted to destroy the children of Israel, (more than once,) and make a new nation out of Moses. Moses always interceded for the children of Israel, and God changed His mind. He repented of the evil that He wanted to do to them.

Jan 8, 2009
I think it is really God changing his mind. The alternative view is, God always intentional on destroying them, but only delaying it. The latter seems less like our loving and merciful God.