Just Trivia....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PurpleCandles

Jun 23, 2018
What was the name of the Italian cruise ship hijacked by Palestinian terrorists in October 1985?

L

LaVieEnRose

Who is generally acknowledged to have created the first detective in literature, and what is the detective’s name (last name can do, as I can’t remember the character’s first name).

PurpleCandles

Jun 23, 2018
Who is generally acknowledged to have created the first detective in literature, and what is the detective’s name (last name can do, as I can’t remember the character’s first name).
The fictional detective would be Sherlock Holmes? I can't recall the creator. It's one of those names that's right there but it won't come to me.

L

LaVieEnRose

The fictional detective would be Sherlock Holmes? I can't recall the creator. It's one of those names that's right there but it won't come to me.
No, the first fictional detective was Monsieur Dupin created by Edgar Allen Poe. I believe the first detective story was “The Purloined Letter”. I think Dupin’s first name was Edmond, but I’m not sure.

Which Olympic athlete at the 1936 Olympics really stuck it to the Nazis, simply by winning a gold medal?

PurpleCandles

Jun 23, 2018
No, the first fictional detective was Monsieur Dupin created by Edgar Allen Poe. I believe the first detective story was “The Purloined Letter”. I think Dupin’s first name was Edmond, but I’m not sure.

Which Olympic athlete at the 1936 Olympics really stuck it to the Nazis, simply by winning a gold medal?
Good one. I never knew Poe had invented a detective character.

Jesse Owens! Bless him. He proved Arian supremacy was not. As did Hitler.

Q: At the beginning of the 1990's which country had most camels?

L

LaVieEnRose

Good one. I never knew Poe had invented a detective character.

Jesse Owens! Bless him. He proved Arian supremacy was not. As did Hitler.

Q: At the beginning of the 1990's which country had most camels?
Most people think of Poe as just writing gothic stories and poetry, but Dupin was in several stories and he solved crimes scientifically, like Sherlock Holmes, who came later.

Jesse Owens was from Alabama, so I learned about him and taught about him in Alabama History class.

I guess the country that had the most camels in the 1990s would be Algeria? Is that where the Berbers are?

What is the hardest substance on Earth?

PurpleCandles

Jun 23, 2018
Most people think of Poe as just writing gothic stories and poetry, but Dupin was in several stories and he solved crimes scientifically, like Sherlock Holmes, who came later.

Jesse Owens was from Alabama, so I learned about him and taught about him in Alabama History class.

I guess the country that had the most camels in the 1990s would be Algeria? Is that where the Berbers are?

What is the hardest substance on Earth?
That's a good reason to know the Owens answer. ;) Yep you're right.
The camels answer though is Somalia. Though Algeria I'd think is at least tied for first.

:ROFL:

Q:Ralph Craig ran the 100m for the US in 1912; when did he next compete in the Olympics?

L

LaVieEnRose

That's a good reason to know the Owens answer. ;) Yep you're right.
The camels answer though is Somalia. Though Algeria I'd think is at least tied for first.

:ROFL:

Q:Ralph Craig ran the 100m for the US in 1912; when did he next compete in the Olympics?
I don’t know who Ralph Craig is. I’ll guess that WWI screwed up the Olympics, so 1920 is my guess.

Who is sometimes called “the First Flapper”?

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
I don’t know who Ralph Craig is. I’ll guess that WWI screwed up the Olympics, so 1920 is my guess.

Who is sometimes called “the First Flapper”?
I love trivia and nostalgia. I'm thinking Zelda Fitzgerald.

There is another thread here that has a lovely animated heart in it. The trivia question then is, where did the heart shape come from?

L

LaVieEnRose

I love trivia and nostalgia. I'm thinking Zelda Fitzgerald.

There is another thread here that has a lovely animated heart in it. The trivia question then is, where did the heart shape come from?
Haha, it is thought that the heart shape is a woman’s behind.

Zelda Fitzgerald is correct.

What is it called when animals or plants produce their own light?

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
You are right. The tallest skyscraper on earth is the 163 floor Burj Kalifa. Probably butchered the spelling.
Isn't that the structure in Dubai that caught fire last year? It was on one of the far upper floors and there amazingly was no sprinkler system. And even more amazing since it took awhile to build, there was no means of putting the fire out by effort of the fire response units.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
Haha, it is thought that the heart shape is a woman’s behind.
Impossible! Have you seen some behinds? :LOL:
As I recall and this could be wrong but, the heart shape that later became associated with Valentines day and love, etc... originated from a now extinct thistle seed known as the Silphium. It derived from the Greek community of ancient Cyrene and was commonly used by cunning women for birth control. It was so popular in Egypt that it became extinct due to over use without replenishment of the seed crops.

Zelda Fitzgerald is correct.
I was hoping I got that right. Here's a picture in her flapper costume.

She was also a novelist and a painter. Quite a thing in those times for a woman .
Those were much simpler times. Not all that liberating for women but far simpler than the world is now.

What is it called when animals or plants produce their own light?
Bio-luminescence

I watch a lot of nature programs. ;)

What is the shortest verse in the Bible?

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
When did Continental Congress declare its freedom from Britain?
I watched a documentary on Independence Day a few years ago and was shocked!..lol

L

LaVieEnRose

Impossible! Have you seen some behinds? :LOL:
As I recall and this could be wrong but, the heart shape that later became associated with Valentines day and love, etc... originated from a now extinct thistle seed known as the Silphium. It derived from the Greek community of ancient Cyrene and was commonly used by cunning women for birth control. It was so popular in Egypt that it became extinct due to over use without replenishment of the seed crops.

I was hoping I got that right. Here's a picture in her flapper costume.

She was also a novelist and a painter. Quite a thing in those times for a woman .
Those were much simpler times. Not all that liberating for women but far simpler than the world is now.

Bio-luminescence

I watch a lot of nature programs. ;)

What is the shortest verse in the Bible?
I read a book about superstitions and customs, and one theory is that the heart shape is derived from the woman’s behind and legs.
https://www.thehairpin.com/2012/02/possible-origins-of-the-heart-shape/

I read a biography about Zelda recently, and she was very interesting.

I like the word bioluminescence.

What is the name of Paul Bunyan’s ox?