KEYS

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MaggieMye

Do we have the keys to the pits of hell, the regions of hell, the prisons of Hades and Sheol?... as well as to the Kingdom of Heaven? If so, how are we to use them?
Maggie

Jan 8, 2009
Well, no, we don't. Keys are usually given to very important specially chosen people, like St Peter, whom was bestowed great power and authority in the government of God's church. If everyone had a key, it would be mayhem. And you don't give keys to every old Joe that wants one. That is not to say that God may not give keys to certain people other than St Peter, in his era or in our times today. But Scripture lends no proof to that idea.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Christ has the key to hell, He has the power over hell and death...no more death for Him "I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death" (Rev 1:18). Righteousness is the key to heaven. We can use the key to heaven by believing in the Son of God and accepting Him into our lives because those who reject Him will be locked up in hell. When we use it, we will have power over hell (death). Do not disregard the key, use it by reading His words and abide by it...get out of the pit of hell (bondage of sin) and enter life (an everlasting life with God) with the key.

M

MaggieMye

Exactly. And having those keys to death and hell, we can go and RESCUE...bring the captives OUT of captivity and in into the freedom of Christ. It is done prophetically. Very cool! It is what He has given us to do! per Isa 61.
Maggie

Mahogany: God is not a respector of person. He has given ALL believers the keys.

Jan 8, 2009
This is not about respecting of persons, but about the office of apostleship and authority that Peter and the apostles held in the church. You believe in apostles right? Otherwise, please provide the scripture where it says Jesus gave every believer the keys. It doesn't even clearly say Jesus gave the keys to any other apostle either. Although John 20:21-23 shows they were given to the other apostles too.
It is only Jesus who has the keys:

Rev 1:18Iamhe that liveth,andwasdead;and,behold,Iamaliveforevermore,Amen;andhavethekeysofhellandofdeath.

and the apostles, that the bible says had the keys. The keys are tied with the office and ministry of the 12 apostles.

Giving Peter the keys was tied in with the previous verse about using Peter to build His church.
and he used it at a number of occasions eg Acts 2:14. It was Peter who opened up the door of salvation to the Jews and the Gentiles.

The keys were and are given to no other person. Unless we can show scripture to prove otherwise.

We don't have the keys, only Jesus does. It is His decision who enters into hell and the kingdom. We don't bind or loose anything, we appeal to Jesus to do that.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
We don't have the keys, only Jesus does. It is His decision who enters into hell and the kingdom. We don't bind or loose anything, we appeal to Jesus to do that.
Correction: We decide which road to follow by our attitude here on earth (the narrow way to heaven or the broad way to hell), Jesus does not choose for us, we are given free will. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" John 3:16.

Lastly, God has given His children the power to bind and loose according to this verse Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven” Matthew 18:18.

Jan 8, 2009
You wouldn't give the keys to your Mercedes Benz to your child, just as God doesn't give something as important as keys to hell or the kingdom to a new believer. And imagine the mayhem if everyone had a key. Only specially chosen individuals get keys. And they also have the added responsibilty and accountability which goes with having it.

Notice Jesus is speaking specifically to his disciples. This is in connection with the previous verse which you can see is about resolution of grievances and telling them to the church etc.

Binding and loosing has nothing to do with spiritual warfare (eg exorcism),
the terminology for binding and loosing was applied to accepting or rejecting which doctrines were true and which were false. It may also be applied to the power and authority to excommunicate people from the church. As apostles in the church this was the job given and we see them use their authority to declare the true Gospel, and deal with severe sin on a number of occasions.

If we look up Gill commentary on the bible for example, it says:

This also is not to be understood of binding, or loosing men's sins, by laying on, or taking off censures, and excommunications; but only of doctrines, or declarations of what is lawful and unlawful, free, or prohibited to be received, or practised; in which sense the words, אסור ומותר, "bound and loosed", are used in the Talmudic writings, times without number, for that which is forbidden and declared to be unlawful, and for that which is free of use, and pronounced to be so: in multitudes of places we read of one Rabbi אוסר, "binding", and of another מתיר, "loosing"; thousands, and ten thousands of instances of this kind might be produced; a whole volume of extracts on this head might be compiled. Dr. Lightfoot has transcribed a great many, sufficient to satisfy any man, and give him the true sense of these phrases; and after him to mention any other is needless; yet give me leave to produce one, as it is short, and full, and explains these phrases, and points at the persons that had this power, explaining Ecc_12:11 and that clause in it, "masters of the assemblies".

M

MaggieMye

You wouldn't give the keys to your Mercedes Benz to your child, just as God doesn't give something as important as keys to hell or the kingdom to a new believer. How can you even begin to equate the earthly, human task of driving a car to that of fighting spiritual battles...spiritual warfare.....a commission that every believer is given the armor and tools with which to fight? Even a babe in Christ, if they believe, can take the keys and do what the word says. The 'you' that Jesus gave the keys to was not the 'you/Peter', it was 'you' as in y'all....corporate...to the body.
And imagine the mayhem if everyone had a key. Are you kidding me??? Christian are supposed to be A THREAT to the kingdom of darkness…causing mayhem there is the Lords will!!! Only specially chosen individuals get keys. THAT'S what the devil wants you to believe. It's a lie FROM the pit And they also have the added responsibilty and accountability which goes with having it. Anyone having the unction to USE the keys will already understand that….even a Christian that has been one for only a month.
”Notice Jesus is speaking specifically to his disciples." I'm a disciple!!

Binding and loosing has nothing to do with spiritual warfare (eg exorcism), "Exorcism" is a very 'Catholic' word. Deliverance/exorcism is a PART of spiritual warfare. And you cannot, most often, cast anything out without first binding it.
These following verses are ALL about deliverance and setting captives free:
Matthew 12:29
"Or how can anyone enter the strong man's house and carry off his property, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house.
Mark 3:27
" But no one can enter the strong man's house and plunder his property unless he first binds the strong man, and then he will plunder his house.
Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

the terminology for binding and loosing was applied to accepting or rejecting which doctrines were true and which were false.
Where do you get that from? Not in the Bible. It may also be applied to the power and authority to excommunicate people from the church. What?!? No one person has the power to 'excommunicate' or toss out another. It is the body, at large, that does this upon the lack of repentance of a sinner. As apostles in the church this was the job given No verse to support that and we see them use their authority to declare the true Gospel, and deal with severe sin on a number of occasions. ALL believers are to hold other believers accountable. MT. 18 and others. No one needs 'authority' from God to tell of His Goodness, The Gospel. AUTHORITY is the POWER and RIGHT that a person uses to dominate the kingdom of darkness and accomplish the Lord's will…it is God's permission to all believers, not specific ones.
Gill? Never heard of him and the part you quoted makes no sense. Just because he wrote a book does not make him correct about everything. A "commentary" is just that…someone's comment/opinion on a subject.

Maggie

Jan 8, 2009
How can you even begin to equate the earthly, human task of driving a car to that of fighting spiritual battles...spiritual warfare.....a commission that every believer is given the armor and tools with which to fight? Even a babe in Christ, if they believe, can take the keys and do what the word says. The 'you' that Jesus gave the keys to was not the 'you/Peter', it was 'you' as in y'all....corporate...to the body.
Well the car is a good analogy. Spiritual things are far more important than cars, yet I bet you wouldnt let your child drive your car, so why let them wage spiritual warfare? Babes in Christ are still receiving nourishment from milk. They rarely grasp the fundamental doctrines that well let alone be able to wage spiritual warfare. What you suggest is the spiritual equivalent to child soldiers in Africa.

Are you kidding me??? Christian are supposed to be A THREAT to the kingdom of darkness…causing mayhem there is the Lords will!!!
You don't need keys for that, but simply by virtue of who you are in Christ. Keys are the special authority and power for overseeing God's church. Not every Christian has the authority to excommunicate another Christian , write scripture, or establish doctrine. Paul, Peter and the other apostles did have that authority.

Anyone having the unction to USE the keys will already understand that….even a Christian that has been one for only a month.
See above answer. one month? Not even Christ or the apostles were casting out devils etc until well into their ministry.

I'm a disciple!!
But are you one of the 12 apostles? Yes or no? Also, you are a woman, which means you probably wouldnt get that sort of authority in God's Church.

Deliverance/exorcism is a PART of spiritual warfare. And you cannot, most often, cast anything out without first binding it.
Please show scripture where in practice the apostles of Jesus bound an evil spirit before casting it out, to confirm the necessity of binding.

Where do you get that from? Not in the Bible.
From bible commentaries of well respected bible scholars. I'm not the type to google trash websites, unless I'm having fun hehehe.

"Exorcism" is a very 'Catholic' word. Deliverance/exorcism is a PART of spiritual warfare. And you cannot, most often, cast anything out without first binding it.
These following verses are ALL about deliverance and setting captives free:
The word exorcism is also used in protestant denominations. That scripture is really in a different context to Jesus's statements on binding and loosing and keys.

No verse to support that
I thought it was plainly obvious. Here's why: name one book in the new testament which is not written by an apostle or disciple/associate of the apostles. It should be obvious, that babes in Christ were not writing doctrine with authority. But seasoned men (not women) and witnesses to Christ's life, ministry, death and resurrection whom He entrusted to establish His church. These have keys to the kingdom of heaven. Not new believers, just saved drug addicts etc.

ALL believers are to hold other believers accountable. MT. 18 and others. No one needs 'authority' from God to tell of His Goodness, The Gospel. AUTHORITY is the POWER and RIGHT that a person uses to dominate the kingdom of darkness and accomplish the Lord's will…it is God's permission to all believers, not specific ones.
Gill? Never heard of him and the part you quoted makes no sense. Just because he wrote a book does not make him correct about everything. A "commentary" is just that…someone's comment/opinion on a subject.
I quote from John Gill's exposition on the entire bible. John Gill (1697-1771) was one of the first great Baptist theologians and pastors, the first major writing Baptist theologian and bible scholar. I have seen the same in other commentaries, which I could quote if you like. Sure, he's not perfect, but he's no amateur either.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2009
In 1748, Gill was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity by the University of Aberdeen. He was a profound scholar and a prolific author. His most important works are:
  • The Doctrine of the Trinity Stated and Vindicated (London, 1731)
  • The Cause of God and Truth (4 parts, 1735–8), a retort to Daniel Whitby's Five Points
  • An Exposition of the New Testament (3 vols., 1746–8), which with his Exposition of the Old Testament (6 vols., 1748–63) forms his magnum opus
  • A Dissertation on the Antiquity of the Hebrew Language (1767)
  • A Body of Doctrinal Divinity (1767)
  • A Body of Practical Divinity (1770).

So Maggie when you get those sort of qualifications and reputation I will be quoting YOUR commentary on the bible hehehe.

Jul 17, 2009
Do we have the keys to the pits of hell, the regions of hell, the prisons of Hades and Sheol?... as well as to the Kingdom of Heaven? If so, how are we to use them?
Maggie

Are there protestants that believe in Apostolic succession and if so does that succession then leave the hands of actual apostles at any particular time in church history or it is believed that not only Peter, Paul etc. were Apostles but all believers were Apostles and therefore could do as they pleased with the keys/authority to forgive sins, bind/loose etc.???

If it's all believers then all believers can just forgive sins too, no? Even not forgive sins. Loose and bind things in heaven and on earth?

Really? How common is this belief? Where do we see it exercised today?

:confused:

M

MaggieMye

Ryan: It is NEVER to do as one pleases, but to do as the Spirit leads.
Maggie

P

ProdigalSon

Maggie
I am glad that we don't have them cause i would probably lose them.:)

M

MaggieMye

Now THAT is funny!!

Maggie

May 21, 2009
Jesus gave the Christians all power on this world in his name to put satan under our feet. That is having the key. If you don't think you have any power then you don't. But we are to be casting out demons and doing all the things on earth just like Jesus did. Peter was only a man. No better than any other Christian. You do know that all Christians are called saints, right.

S

sunshine_debbie

He Holds the Keys

Death rides blackened clouds across the sky
The Son of man lays down to die
With every pounding blow upon the nail
Thunder rumbles all through hell
And from death's barren womb the captives cry
Who is there to free us should He die

His grave becomes a door, He enters in
To face the author of all sin
Defying death and the grave He takes their keys
And with them every captive frees
And from death's barren womb the captives cry
Arise for our redemption draweth nigh

Chorus:
For He holds the keys
He holds the keys
And though we've been held captive
At long last we are free
For He holds the keys

Against the gates of hell I now resist
For the shackles that had torn my wrists
Lay before me now upon the ground
To sin I am no longer bound
For from death's barren womb
He heard my cry
And loosed the chains that bound me to a lie

Chorus

And to all the things that have kept you away
That keep you defeated day after day after day
The heartache that nobody sees
That eats at your soul like a cruel disease
He who set the captives free
It is He, it is He who holds your keys

Chorus
He holds the keys
Words and Music by Jon Mohr
Copyright 1984 Jonathan Mark Music. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

B

BenF

I think it important to note that the Roman Catholic church claims like that same verse -- particularly the follow-up part where Jesus gives the power to bind and loose...as why they think the Pope is essentially has God-on-earth powers for doctrine. However, 2 chapters later, Jesus says the same thing to the disciples (including other disciples) who had gathered to hear him speak (in Matthew 18)...so Peter wasn't given any special govermental / doctrine powers in that verse. Just trying to help. :) I probably would have been Roman Catholic had I found the truth to be otherwise when I got into researching it. :)

Jan 8, 2009
The Catholics are largely right in the interpretation of 'key's, btw keys represent authority and not every christian has that authority, the difference being keys are not necessarily given to popes. It is the authority to accept or reject doctrine which MUST AGREE with what Christ has already taught and revealed i.e. a pope or anyone not even st peter himself could add a new doctrine just because he had a key. Rather, he had the power to confirm true doctrine and reject bad doctrine.
Keys have nothing to do with spiritual warfare, loosing or binding these are inventions of the pentecostal movements. You don't need keys and other fancy speak loosely based on scripture to do that just use the name of Jesus.

C

charisenexcelcis

The Catholics are largely right in the interpretation of 'key's, btw keys represent authority and not every christian has that authority, the difference being keys are not necessarily given to popes. It is the authority to accept or reject doctrine which MUST AGREE with what Christ has already taught and revealed i.e. a pope or anyone not even st peter himself could add a new doctrine just because he had a key. Rather, he had the power to confirm true doctrine and reject bad doctrine.
Keys have nothing to do with spiritual warfare, loosing or binding these are inventions of the pentecostal movements. You don't need keys and other fancy speak loosely based on scripture to do that just use the name of Jesus.
lol. That is funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.