Learning Knew Things

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2009
I believe there is an untruth in the Bible. Read what Jesus says:

[34] But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sad'ducees, they came together.
[35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:34-40 RSV

Now read what Paul says:

For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:14
Aha! Very observant! And given this contradiction, whom shall we believe?

Clearly Messiah, right?

Why, next to His answer, Paul's almost seems humanist, doesn't it ?

B

Buddee

Aha! Very observant! And given this contradiction, whom shall we believe?

Clearly Messiah, right?

Why, next to His answer, Paul's almost seems humanist, doesn't it ?
Incorrect!

What is humanist is the way you read it.

For one cannot possibly grasp the whole of "Love thy neighbor as thyself" without first truly loving God "
with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind."

As Paul stated, it is the sum of the whole.

Sep 27, 2009
What translation is that? The quoted post says "the whole law is fulfilled" which it clearly is not.

Messiah's answer didn't even say that the two instructions He mentioned. He referred to one as the "greatest command" and said that "a second is like it." But He never said the whole law was fulfilled within those two statemetns.

Sep 27, 2009
I dont think you fully understand what you think you just said. Jesus and the Bible are two different things???????????????????????? The Bible is... the word of God. I rebuke you as a sister in Christ. Receive it or discard it but it is with the Love of Christ and Gods word that I keep in my heart that this is given. I strongly urge you to pick up that "wonderful book"! God Bless U!
The Bible cannot save you. Only Jesus can. Don’t use the Bible as a crutch. Use it as a learning tool.

Have faith in Jesus.

Feb 27, 2007
The Bible cannot save you. Only Jesus can. Don’t use the Bible as a crutch. Use it as a learning tool.

Have faith in Jesus.

Believe me Bob I had the whole BIG Holy Spirit conversion in a pentecostal church... so yes I am blessed with the gift of discernment as given by the Holy spirit. Did you read the passage I gave you from the nkjv... it says something totally different doesnt it. Anyway dont worry about my salvation and using the Bible as a crutch as I spent the first 15 years of my walk with God only relying on the Holy Spirit and not immersing myself in Gods word. I wasted alot of time that could have been spent drawing closer to the Lord. And you are absolutely right, the Bible can not save you, but boy oh boy can reading it draw you closer to the Lord than ever before... Although thats just my personal experience. I wish early in my walk that it would have been stressed to know God by his word AND by promptings of the Holy Spirit and that I would have spent more time knowing God by his word not just by the amazing gift he gave me in having every bad thing i've ever done disappear in an instant in the name of Jesus!! Praise the Lord! I do hope those who are newly converted read this and decide to learn about God by immersing themselves in his word and listening to promptings of the Holy Spirit & not just accept salvation and then do nothing to edify their relationship with the Lord. Oh & btw... I saw in another thread that you do quote scripture so I'm on to you... you do spend time in the word of God! :D

B

Buddee

What translation is that? The quoted post says "the whole law is fulfilled" which it clearly is not.

Messiah's answer didn't even say that the two instructions He mentioned. He referred to one as the "greatest command" and said that "a second is like it." But He never said the whole law was fulfilled within those two statemetns.
"For the whole of the Torah is summed up in this one sentence: "Love your neighbor as your self";" Galatians 5:14 as found in The Complete Jewish Bible.

Where else did Paul speak of this?

"Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law."

"For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

-Romans 13:8-10 as found in the KJV

"Don't owe anyone anything — except to love one another; for whoever loves his fellow human being has fulfilled Torah."

"For the commandments, 'Don't commit adultery,' 'Don't murder,' "Don't steal,' 'Don't covet,' and any others are summed up in this one rule: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

"Love does not do harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fullness of Torah."

-again, from the CJB

You said Messiah never said this or that? Tell us...what was it that Jesus said would be the one way people would know his disciples?

By their what?

Jan 8, 2009
If you don't use the bible you reject the teachings of the Holy Spirit inspired men and women of God and will no doubt go astray in your theology.

Sep 27, 2009
I read the Bible nearly every day. I obey it to the best of my ability. But I’ve already shown you that the Bible is not perfect—Galatians 5:14 contradicts Matthew 22:34-40—and I do not accept the injustice of preventing women from preaching in church, even though Paul advocates that injustice. Look at what Jesus said about justice:

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. Matthew 23:23 RSV

B

Buddee

I read the Bible nearly every day. I obey it to the best of my ability. But I’ve already shown you that the Bible is not perfect—Galatians 5:14 contradicts Matthew 22:34-40—and I do not accept the injustice of preventing women from preaching in church, even though Paul advocates that injustice. Look at what Jesus said about justice:

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law, justice and mercy and faith; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. Matthew 23:23 RSV

Brother Bob,

Galatians 5:14 does NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT contradict Matthew 22:34-40!

Only your understanding, rather, your misunderstanding does.

You simply are misreading these passages.

Feb 27, 2007
Brother Bob,

Galatians 5:14 does NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT contradict Matthew 22:34-40!

Only your understanding, rather, your misunderstanding does.

You simply are misreading these passages.
Amen... as stated in my previous post the NKJV reads:

NKJV it is written 14 For all the law is fullfilled in one word, even in this: " you shall love your neighbour as your self". This would be more an argument for the questioning of the NIV than for a questioning of Paul as an apostle.

B

Buddee

This would be more an argument for the questioning of the NIV than for a questioning of Paul as an apostle.

I would also have to disagree with the first half of this statement.

There is no such argument.

Feb 27, 2007
Thats fine to disagree... I loved my NIV for years & it served its purpose in drawing me closer to God, but as you see based on this thread, the wording of certain passages can be confused thats for sure!

B

Buddee

Thats fine to disagree... I loved my NIV for years & it served its purpose in drawing me closer to God, but as you see based on this thread, the wording of certain passages can be confused thats for sure!

The confusion...That's not the fault of any one particular version of the English Bible.

Feb 27, 2007
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:14
NKJV it is written 14 For all the law is fullfilled in one word, even in this: " you shall love your neighbour as your self".

you see no difference in this buddee?

B

Buddee

NKJV it is written 14 For all the law is fullfilled in one word, even in this: " you shall love your neighbour as your self".

you see no difference in this buddee?
No, I do not.

From what version is that first example taken?
That's not NIV.

Feb 27, 2007
NIV just as deceiving

For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:14 Not sure where this came from was in Bobs post... I went to the NIV to try to verify what he had posted and the NIV stated
14 "The entire law is summed up in a single command "Love your neighbour as yourself"

Now if you dont care to see the importance of the words "EVEN IN THIS" that is fine... but the "even in this" points to the law being fullfilled in one word which is Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind. ANTI Paul advocates are obviously using this to justify their disbelief of Paul & obviously there is a difference in the translations. If you dont care to acknowledge this difference this is fine. I read 3 different versions including the NIV but have noticed areas of the NIV that definitely give me concern. the same can be said for the other versions. I pray for discernment from the Holy Spirit in reading. I think most reading these posts would have to acknowledge that yes, this verse in scripture is definitely easier to misunderstand in the niv (& whatever version Bob is reading) then in the nkjv. And why I am debating with someone who is on the side of Paul over this is beyond me. Anyone with basic literacy can see that one is more easily misread than the other. You can however choose to staunchly defend the NIV translation instead of acknowleging how someone like Bob could misread this translation. I am by no means a biblical scholar and am lowly in these things and just finally pressing in to the word of God. Perhaps something that is obvious to me will be less obvious to others. Or perhaps it is irrelevant to others, I dont know. All I know is when i read the 3 different translations of the same verse it verified to me that 2 of them could definitely mislead people to the discredit of Paul.

B

Buddee

Re: Learning NEW Things

NIV just as deceiving

For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:14 Not sure where this came from was in Bobs post... I went to the NIV to try to verify what he had posted and the NIV stated
14 "The entire law is summed up in a single command "Love your neighbour as yourself"

Now if you dont care to see the importance of the words "EVEN IN THIS" that is fine... but the "even in this" points to the law being fullfilled in one word which is Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind. ANTI Paul advocates are obviously using this to justify their disbelief of Paul & obviously there is a difference in the translations. If you dont care to acknowledge this difference this is fine. I read 3 different versions including the NIV but have noticed areas of the NIV that definitely give me concern. the same can be said for the other versions. I pray for discernment from the Holy Spirit in reading. I think most reading these posts would have to acknowledge that yes, this verse in scripture is definitely easier to misunderstand in the niv (& whatever version Bob is reading) then in the nkjv. And why I am debating with someone who is on the side of Paul over this is beyond me. Anyone with basic literacy can see that one is more easily misread than the other. You can however choose to staunchly defend the NIV translation instead of acknowleging how someone like Bob could misread this translation. I am by no means a biblical scholar and am lowly in these things and just finally pressing in to the word of God. Perhaps something that is obvious to me will be less obvious to others. Or perhaps it is irrelevant to others, I dont know. All I know is when i read the 3 different translations of the same verse it verified to me that 2 of them could definitely mislead people to the discredit of Paul.

"Now if you dont care to see the importance of the words "EVEN IN THIS" that is fine..."

First of all, this is not the Sarcasm thread. (The word "even" is added here by the translators. It is not in the original translated texts.)

Secondly, I am not defending, staunchly or otherwise, any one single Bible version over another. Let's be careful not to turn this into something it's not.

Thirdly, the confusion in this matter comes from comparing two different passages of scripture, i.e. Matthew 22:34-40 & Galatians 5:14, that are addressing two separate issues. I leave the reading of the surrounding texts to you.

Now, I'd like to ask you to think about something if I may?...Have you ever heard someone ask someone else, "May I have a word with you?"

What is it that they want? Do they really only want to say one single solitary word to the other person? Or do they wish to convey... a statement, or a...complete thought?

Lastly, never again presume to know what I do or don't care about, ok?

Thanks.

Feb 27, 2007
ok buddee... I apologise. I was not being sarcastic actually, I assumed you didnt see the importance in those words. Obviously this is something we can agree to disagree on. again I apologise I dont want strife with you or anyone else on here. I just wanted to point out how Bob could be deceived in a reading of a translation that can be read either way. I take your rebuke as I am deserving & with that I will have a wonderful day in celebration of my husbands birthday. Hope you have a great weekend too & again I apologise for the wording of my post that caused you to feel attacked.

D

Deadtosin

I believe there is an untruth in the Bible. Read what Jesus says:

[34] But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sad'ducees, they came together.
[35] And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question, to test him.
[36] "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:34-40 RSV

Now read what Paul says:

Matthew 22:29-40
Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God,
saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine. But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 3:1-3
O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Recieved ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Galatians 13-14
For, brethren, ye have been called unot liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

(Deadtosin) I believe it is quite clear that Paul is trying to preach a message to those who say they have recieved the spirit but still uphold their fleshy desires while failing to serve one another in Christs love. He was JUST in telling them that the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this" Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." For Jesus Christ made it clear that it was even similar to Loving God with all thy heart, soul and mind. Paul was putting an exclamation point at the end of a very important message.

Status
Not open for further replies.