Leave your cash at home when traveling through Wyoming.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
This is just more proof that cops are corrupt...

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I'd be more inclined to believe that it is the politicians who write laws that not only allow, but encourage this type of activity to happen who are the corrupt ones.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
It's common knowledge that politicians are corrupt.

I'd be more inclined to believe that it is the politicians who write laws that not only allow, but encourage this type of activity to happen who are the corrupt ones.

Enoch987

Jul 13, 2017
its called civil asset forfeiture. The property is charged with a civil crime. The person has to go to court to prove his innocence.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Wow. That is a totally corrupt system. I hope he gets his money back.

NotmebutHim

May 17, 2015
Well Vox isn't exactly known for being friendly to law enforcement, that's for sure.

H

Hellooo

there's something really off about this story.

why would you drive with 91k in cash? if it was to buy a studio, why wouldn't you close your real estate transaction with a check or wire? Title companies are so specific with how they want to receive money.

many businesses will flag you for 10k cash transactions.

Last edited:
S

Susanna

Judging from the story...I'd question him too..maybe even book him.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Aren't people considered innocent until proven guilty?
Carrying money is not against the law. I would hide
it somewhere too if I was traveling with it.

H

Hellooo

Sure there's a presumption of innocence in the US, but this guy (foolishly) consented to a search.

Also he signed some kind of waiver allowing them to seize the cash.

on one hand, I wonder what it was that escalated the traffic stop to trigger a search.

on the other hand, this guy had no idea what his rights were. cops certainly won't go out of their way to tell you.

i've grown to be suspicious of unwarranted questions, not because I dislike the police, but because i know how naive i sometimes am.
i would have declined the search, asked if i was free to leave, or asked for a lawyer if I was being detained and shut myself up.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
Humans in power are corrupt, and water is wet

S

Susanna

Aren't people considered innocent until proven guilty?
Carrying money is not against the law. I would hide
it somewhere too if I was traveling with it.
It's unsual carrying that amount of cash. If it was a good reason for it, I'm sure he would have told them. Stories like his is a red flag, and will lead to further investigation.

Why did he need to tell a lie in the first place if it was legal cash he had in his car?

For now I'm not buying his story.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
It's unsual carrying that amount of cash. If it was a good reason for it, I'm sure he would have told them. Stories like his is a red flag, and will lead to further investigation.

Why did he need to tell a lie in the first place if it was legal cash he had in his car?

If you read the story, you will find that the "why"s are explained.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
The IRS has rules governing cash transactions of 10k and above. The rule is to curtail money laundering resulting from drug trafficking and other criminal sources.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Billyd

May 8, 2014

Regardless of the reason that he had that much cash, if you aren't charging him with a crime involving the cash, you don't have any right to keep it. If you don't return the cash, or any other property you confiscated, you are a thief, and should be charged for stealing his property.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
there's something really off about this story.

why would you drive with 91k in cash? if it was to buy a studio, why wouldn't you close your real estate transaction with a check or wire? Title companies are so specific with how they want to receive money.

many businesses will flag you for 10k cash transactions.

I agree, his side of the story does not have that "ring of truth" to it. He does not seem like he is stupid or mentally off so why hide that much money in your car... I do not believe this story.

S

Susanna

Regardless of the reason that he had that much cash, if you aren't charging him with a crime involving the cash, you don't have any right to keep it. If you don't return the cash, or any other property you confiscated, you are a thief, and should be charged for stealing his property.
I didn't say I was gonna keep the cash, but his story is the kind of story that could possibly instigate an investigation.

H

Hellooo

Maybe this guy had pure intentions, maybe not, but the article is quick to call him innocent without having reviewed the public records on the stop or the recording of the traffic stop. what are they basing his innocence on?

I'd be curious to see video of that whenever it's released.

H

heartofdavid

Awful that they can take a man's life savings.

Some do not trust banks. So they hide cash.

Now we can sleep at night knowing cops regularly take cash from hard working Americans