Linux Lynx

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Here ya go, now you have your own tech support thread. ;)

On a related side note, have you noticed that every thread I join eventually becomes a tech support thread for a bit? :rolleyes:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Oh I can do things other than Linux. I use Windows for my music making computer, mostly because my payware VST instruments (RealGuitar, RealStrat, Miles'tone trumpet, Jamstix) won't run in Linux... for commercial reasons.

Well now that you've started this thread... *shrug* Anyone need any recommendations for Windows freeware? Need a program to do something, but you're not sure what to get? Thinking about trying Linux, but you don't know what programs to look for in the Linux world? Thinking about getting a computer but you're not sure which brand/model is best?

(By the way, about that last one... "best" is very relative, and if you ask me what is the "best" laptop, tablet, etc. I will have to ask you a few questions about what exactly you want out of it. Just so you know.)

P

psychomom

Lynx, can you get Microsoft to repeal Win 8?

or at least make sure its creators are fired? :)

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The only people who like Windows 8 are those who have touchscreens. That is because Win8 assumes EVERY computer is a touchscreen. That works well for computers with touchscreens but not so good on normal laptops, and terrible on desktops. The best solution I have found is to go back to Windows 7.

This one guy at work was talking about how much he hated his computer since upgrading from Win7 to Win8. I asked why he upgraded. "Because it's an upgrade, it's supposed to be better." Did your computer work before? "Yeah." Was there anything lacking before? "No, I was happy with it." So your computer was already working fine, did everything you needed, and you were happy? "Yeah." Then WHY DID YOU MESS WITH SOMETHING THAT ALREADY WORKED?! "Because it was an upgrade."

*sigh*

Microsoft seems to drop the ball with every other Windows they put out. They had a fluke where Windows 2000 and Windows XP were both good, but usually every second OS is a dud. Win95 - meh. Win98 - pretty good. WinME - TERRIBLE!!! Win2000 - pretty good. WinXP - pretty good and long-playing. WinVista - sucked rotten eggs. Win7 - best one yet, I have it running on four laptops right now. Win8 - not as bad as ME, but still stinks.

I think they do it intentionally. They want the new OS to shine, so while they're making it the best it can be they throw the users a bone by putting out a half-done OS. Then when the real OS that they did right comes along it seems even better contrasted against its predecessor. Have you noticed that Windows 7 looks a lot like Windows Vista, except everything actually works in 7? I think Vista was just a half-baked version of 7 that they tossed us to hold us over until 7 was really done.

You should probably hang around with Win7 until Win9 comes out.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Speaking of which: Do you know there are some Linux-only people who still think we're pulling their legs about defrag? "Yeah right, who would be stupid enough to make an OS that INTENTIONALLY puts files on the hard drive in little bits all over the disk?"

Who would be that stupid indeed?

Dec 8, 2014
The only people who like Windows 8 are those who have touchscreens. That is because Win8 assumes EVERY computer is a touchscreen. That works well for computers with touchscreens but not so good on normal laptops, and terrible on desktops. The best solution I have found is to go back to Windows 7.

This one guy at work was talking about how much he hated his computer since upgrading from Win7 to Win8. I asked why he upgraded. "Because it's an upgrade, it's supposed to be better." Did your computer work before? "Yeah." Was there anything lacking before? "No, I was happy with it." So your computer was already working fine, did everything you needed, and you were happy? "Yeah." Then WHY DID YOU MESS WITH SOMETHING THAT ALREADY WORKED?! "Because it was an upgrade."

*sigh*

Microsoft seems to drop the ball with every other Windows they put out. They had a fluke where Windows 2000 and Windows XP were both good, but usually every second OS is a dud. Win95 - meh. Win98 - pretty good. WinME - TERRIBLE!!! Win2000 - pretty good. WinXP - pretty good and long-playing. WinVista - sucked rotten eggs. Win7 - best one yet, I have it running on four laptops right now. Win8 - not as bad as ME, but still stinks.

I think they do it intentionally. They want the new OS to shine, so while they're making it the best it can be they throw the users a bone by putting out a half-done OS. Then when the real OS that they did right comes along it seems even better contrasted against its predecessor. Have you noticed that Windows 7 looks a lot like Windows Vista, except everything actually works in 7? I think Vista was just a half-baked version of 7 that they tossed us to hold us over until 7 was really done.

You should probably hang around with Win7 until Win9 comes out.
Back in 2001 I had grown tired of the problems I was having to deal with in Windows. I had found a book at a book store that was about Linux, this book included a copy of Linux on CD. I bought the book out of curiosity and took it home. After reading the book I went ahead and installed Debian GNU Linux on a second partition. After playing with it for a week I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled this Linux distribution as the only operating system. Since then I have used nothing but Linux, but I did do a fare bit of distrio-hopping. I have to say, I never learned so much about hardware and software as I did since installing Linux.

After 13 years of using Linux as my sole platform, I bought a Mac in June of this year. Moving to a Mac seemed seamless, but I'm betting that was due to being on Linux for 13 years. My last experience with Windows was Windows XP 13 years ago, but I always wondered what had become of Microsoft's flagship operating system.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The flagship is going down, but they'll probably get it back afloat next version. Gotta say Win7 is really smooth. Even has an automated disk imaging backup system - you don't need to know anything about it, just put in the DVDs when it tells you to and it burns a complete image backup of your whole system. If you need to reinstall just get the DVDs out and follow the directions. I'd recommend Win7 to anyone.

I would recommend Win8 for people with low blood pressure. Try to use Win8 for a few days and that blood pressure will get on up there.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
For anyone looking for a good program to do (insert job here) I recommend you go to portableapps.com. Look through their list of portable apps. When you find the program you want you can get the portable from there, or google the name of the program and get the traditional installer straight from the guy who made it.

Portable App Directory | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

I could make a long list of good free programs here, but why reinvent the wheel? portableapps is where I go if I need a program and I have no idea what to get.

Though I have to disagree with their choice for CD burner. CDBurnerXP Pro is much better than Infrarecorder.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
So, coming from a technologically challenged person. As you have commented prior, my wife is one of those people who despises Win8 (hey, it's what came with the thing). Is it actually possible to wipe Win8 off and change her laptop to run on Win7?

Roh_Chris

Jun 15, 2014
How good is Win10? Some were saying that it is not the same as Win8.

Also, I am thinking of purchasing a tablet. I would like a tablet for -
- office work (word, powerpoint and excel)
- decent storage space for my office and personal files
- stylus to write or sketch things down (with a note app)
- keyboard cover if I want to type long emails
- SIM is not necessary as I won't be using it as a phablet, but it must have 2 or 3 USB ports
- Wifi connectivity is a must
- I would prefer Android
- preferred screen size is 10 inches
- must be light-weight but sturdy
- front and rear camera (5MP & > 10 MP respectively)
I dont have a cap on the budget because I want to buy a branded product. Do you have any suggestions?

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
Back in 2001 I had grown tired of the problems I was having to deal with in Windows. I had found a book at a book store that was about Linux, this book included a copy of Linux on CD. I bought the book out of curiosity and took it home. After reading the book I went ahead and installed Debian GNU Linux on a second partition. After playing with it for a week I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled this Linux distribution as the only operating system. Since then I have used nothing but Linux, but I did do a fare bit of distrio-hopping. I have to say, I never learned so much about hardware and software as I did since installing Linux.

After 13 years of using Linux as my sole platform, I bought a Mac in June of this year. Moving to a Mac seemed seamless, but I'm betting that was due to being on Linux for 13 years. My last experience with Windows was Windows XP 13 years ago, but I always wondered what had become of Microsoft's flagship operating system.
been a debian user. been a linux dude for long long time.. used other distros but back to debian now.

Dec 8, 2014
been a debian user. been a linux dude for long long time.. used other distros but back to debian now.
Yeah, after all of my distro-hopping, I always went back to debian. Always seemed the most rock-solid of the various choices.

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
Yeah, after all of my distort-hopping, I always went back to debian. Always seemed the most rock-solid of the various choices.
yeah many distros to the bleeding edge thing. and it can work. but all it takes is just 1 thing to make it unusable. case in point fedora 21. totally unusable for me.

debian stable just works.

S

Siberian_Khatru

So, coming from a technologically challenged person. As you have commented prior, my wife is one of those people who despises Win8 (hey, it's what came with the thing). Is it actually possible to wipe Win8 off and change her laptop to run on Win7?
Yes, you just need to purchase a copy of Windows 7. Alternatively, you can hang on to Windows 8 (or 8.1) and install Classic Shell, which reskins the interface and gives a Windows 7 look and feel.

Roh_Chris said:
How good is Win10? Some were saying that it is not the same as Win8.
Not sure yet, but there is a technical preview available if you want to check it out: Windows Technical Preview - Windows Insider Program - Microsoft Windows. Be forewarned! Current drivers on your computer may not be supported on Windows 10. From the feedback I've read and screenshots I've seen, it looks like a marginal improvement as far as the interface is concerned. Stability? That's hearsay this early on.

I dont have a cap on the budget because I want to buy a branded product. Do you have any suggestions?
iPad if you're okay with iOS. Otherwise check out Asus for Android tablets, or the Surface Pro if you're interested in Windows 8 RT.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
My computer won't cook me breakfast. How can I fix this?!

A

Andig85

My computer won't cook me breakfast. How can I fix this?!
Put your coffee in the coaster that you get by pushing the button on the front of your computer and then put your breakfast by the fan in the computer, it will take a while but it works! :cool:

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Know why you always come back to Debian? Because they release it when it's ready. They don't set a date and say "We will have it out by this day." It will be done when it's done - if you want new stuff now you can use the "testing" branch and if you want it to work solidly you can use the older "stable" version.

Roh_Chris: What Siberian_Khatru said. Also you might look at Lenovo's tablets. Every ThinkPad (Lenovo) I ever got is still running. I've never tried their tablets, but if I wanted a tablet I'd get an Asus as Siberian_Khatru recommended or I'd get a Lenovo.

Oncefallen: What Siberian_Khatru said... but you should go to the manufacturer's website and make sure there are Win7 drivers for your machine. Most manufacturers only make drivers for the OS they installed on the machine.

Actually that's another reason I like Lenovo. I needed to run XP on a ThinkPad one time (don't ask, long story) and they actually made XP drivers for it. Just in case anyone wanted to go back to XP on that box I guess, but I sure was glad they did.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
zeroturbulence: Overclock your processor (there are guides you can google up for doing this.) When the processor gets warm enough you can fry your eggs and bacon on it. I am not kidding, I've seen it done. Your computer won't last long this way, but it'll get breakfast cooked.

Actually the Pentium 4 processor (remember that?) was supposed to be able to reach a theoretical top speed of 10 gHz... but at anything over 4 gHz it ran into... um... "unresolvable heat dispersal issues." In other words, it slagged itself. Literally.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
zeroturbulence: Overclock your processor (there are guides you can google up for doing this.) When the processor gets warm enough you can fry your eggs and bacon on it. I am not kidding, I've seen it done. Your computer won't last long this way, but it'll get breakfast cooked.

Actually the Pentium 4 processor (remember that?) was supposed to be able to reach a theoretical top speed of 10 gHz... but at anything over 4 gHz it ran into... um... "unresolvable heat dispersal issues." In other words, it slagged itself. Literally.
I wish I could overclock mine, but its not possible with my system. :(

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Sure you can. Google provides everything. You might not have an option in your BIOS settings... but if you take the lid off and solder some pins together you can overclock anything. :D

Voiding the warranty in the process of course...