Looking for a reminder regarding the conversion of C. S. Lewis.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BML

Jun 21, 2018
I'm revisiting Christianity and it would help me were I to be able to read again a piece that I read many years ago from a book by C. S. Lewis. It refers to when he found himself committing his life to God. It was something he had been resisting. I'm sure question must make sense to someone and if it does could they give me a hint as to where I will find that information.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Hello BML, welcome to CC. Glad to have you here. You say you are revisiting Christianity, does this mean you are a Christian or are you just looking into it? We need to know how to address you.

BML

Jun 21, 2018
This will explain my situation and I apologise for its length.
My relationship with Christianity is long and confused. It certainly didn't start early in my life because neither of my parents were believers. The first time the matter of Christianity disturbed my life was at school where it was imposed with little discussion and therefore it became an inconvenience. It was probably when I was about ten years of age that I met my first Christian, a dear lady teacher at the special school I was sent to because I was anti social I think. She was a Quaker and became a friend for the rests of her life and I sometime sit at the desk she left me in my study. She emanated what I instinctively knew was Christianity before I even attempted to understand it.
I attach a one page memory of religion in my early life at the end of this missive.
The next experience that I had with a Christian was in Korea when following a United Nations parade I was invited to the house of Don Shields who worked for something like the YMCA but I lost touch when I was posted back to Hong Kong.
When I left the Army I visited a few churches local to our house in Oxford but that went nowhere and when I met Joan I went to church with absolutely no commitment.
My next experience with religion strangely enough was triggered by my daughter when one day at the age of about nine she decided that she wanted to join the choir and of she trotted. I like to believe in “signs” and I took this as a sign that I should go to church as well. I don’t remember how long that lasted.
Eventually, in about 1970 I started studying with the Open University and spent a year or so taking a course on theology where the existence of God was one of the elements. My main thoughts on the course was that it was based on attempting to prove or disprove the existence of God by logic and beautiful as such arguments were I was not impressed and I fell back on the thought that one can not prove such matters by logic. One either believes or does not.
Ontological argument.
Anselm's ontological argument purports to be an a priori proof of God's existence. Anselm starts with premises that do not depend on experience for their justification and then proceeds by purely logical means to the conclusion that God exists.
Cosmological argument.
Taken from Wikipedia. In natural theology and philosophy, a cosmological argument is an argument in which the existence of a unique being, generally seen as some kind of god, is deduced or inferred from facts or alleged facts concerning causation, change, motion, contingency, or finitude in respect of the universe as a whole or processes within it.[1][2] It is traditionally known as an argument from universal causation, an argument from first cause, or the causal argument, and is more precisely a cosmogonical argument (about the origin). Whichever term is employed, there are three basic variants of the argument, each with subtle yet important distinctions: the arguments from in causa (causality), in esse (essentiality), and in fieri (becoming).The basic premises of all of these are the concept of causality and the Universe having a beginning. The conclusion of these arguments is first cause, subsequently deemed to be God. The history of this argument goes back to Aristotle or earlier, was developed in Neoplatonism and early Christianity and later in medieval Islamic theology during the 9th to 12th centuries, and re-introduced to medieval Christian theology in the 13th century by Thomas Aquinas. The cosmological argument is closely related to the principle of sufficient reason as addressed by Gottfried Leibniz and Samuel Clarke, itself a modern exposition of the claim that "nothing comes from nothing" attributed to Parmenides.
Heaven, the afterlife, call it what you will.
I actually discussed this concept with my son and it covered what happens when one dies. We couldn’t accept that Heaven was up in the fluffy clouds where if we had behaved ourselves we would meet up with all our relatives and friends and we reached the provisional conclusion that Heaven was a collection of all that was good about those whom we had loved in some form of spirit but we knew that was a very loose description.
Why raise the question of God now?
I have been going to church again for the simple reason that I felt that I needed to so I waited until an Easter time a year or so ago and the question arose in my mind when a prayer was being made, “Just who or what am I attempting to communicate with?” Perhaps cynically, I thought that most of those in church may well pray to God but they had never given any thought to just who or what God was.So, there we are. I lay in bed or sit in my sofa and pose the same question to myself and I’m going nowhere with it. It would be so much simpler if I could have a C. S. Lewis experience where he wrote that he resisted the call from God and it was with reluctance that he eventually gave in.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
This belongs in the Bible forum.

Welcome to CC. :)

BML

Jun 21, 2018
Idle as I may appear I'm still looking for which of C.S. Lewis's books I would find where he wrote about his resistance to the call from God which, with reluctance that he eventually gave in to.

BML

Jun 21, 2018
If you consider that the thread should be elsewhere I have no problem with that but as it was my first post it seem OK to me.

As I said above, "It would be so much simpler if I could have a C. S. Lewis experience where he wrote that he resisted the call from God and it was with reluctance that he eventually gave in."

The reason that I said that was because I read it in one of my C.S. Lewis books many years ago but could not remember which one.

I mentioned it to my son-in-law who is a practicing Christian whom I had also asked the question that I posted on this forum. He is a remarkable man but tragically dying from Motor Neuron disease. Today I received a book from him, "Jesus for Sceptics" Michael Green with a piece of paper sticking out at the top and there it was, the piece from the C.S. Lewis book "Surprised by Joy". "In the Trinity term of 1929 I gave in and admitted God was God, and knelt and prayed: So now I remember the quote.

becc

Mar 4, 2018
Hello, welcome to cc. :)

BML

Jun 21, 2018
Is there an answer for someone who wanted to start walking the path towards Christianity and knew not where to start. Should one start at what appears to be a logical point such as the Old Testament and if that is so does a new version of the Old Testament such as the New English Bible offer a solution?

Jun 24, 2018
I'm revisiting Christianity and it would help me were I to be able to read again a piece that I read many years ago from a book by C. S. Lewis. It refers to when he found himself committing his life to God. It was something he had been resisting. I'm sure question must make sense to someone and if it does could they give me a hint as to where I will find that information.

BML

Jun 21, 2018
A remarkable series of events have occurred since I wrote the few words that created my post which I wished I had dated now. I had sent the plea regarding the Lewis quote to my very Christian son-in-law who is dying from Motor Neuron disease and with whom I'm discussing my reconversion, (if there is such a term). He in term sent me a copy of, "Jesus for Sceptics" Michael Green and in the final pages Michael wrote. "In the Trinity term of 1929 I gave in and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps that night the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England." But my search didn't stop there because I looked again on the shelve where I keep my religious books and there it was, "Surprised by joy" C. S. Lewis and it must have been there for years and I know that I had looked for it a number of times over the past few days. Make what you will of that series of events, I'm still exploring them.

M

Miri

Wonderful news!

You are at the start of a wonderful journey.

It may help to try having a read through Luke’s gospel and Johns gospel
in the New Testament, to get some understand of who Jesus is.

Have you ever read pilgrims progress, you may enjoy it if you like doing a
lot of reading. It’s very wordy but a great book.

This is helpful as well.

https://bible.org/seriespage/1-beginning-your-new-life-christ

Jun 24, 2018
A remarkable series of events have occurred since I wrote the few words that created my post which I wished I had dated now. I had sent the plea regarding the Lewis quote to my very Christian son-in-law who is dying from Motor Neuron disease and with whom I'm discussing my reconversion, (if there is such a term). He in term sent me a copy of, "Jesus for Sceptics" Michael Green and in the final pages Michael wrote. "In the Trinity term of 1929 I gave in and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps that night the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England." But my search didn't stop there because I looked again on the shelve where I keep my religious books and there it was, "Surprised by joy" C. S. Lewis and it must have been there for years and I know that I had looked for it a number of times over the past few days. Make what you will of that series of events, I'm still exploring them.

Jun 24, 2018
May the Lord be with you every step of the way, and with your son-in-law. I'm sure these events are an encouragement to his soul.