Lost faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jonnyp

Over the last 6 months to a year I have been losing my faith in God. I still believe in christian values and morals but I don't read the bible anymore and very rarely go to church . However recently I have wanted to regain my faith in God but I am struggling to find a way back. Can anyone help me?

joshua_xaja

Mar 12, 2013
Hey Jonny,

First up an assurance :

"All those who the Father gives me will come to me. Him who comes to me I keep" :: John 6:37

"My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them" :: John 10:29

So rest assured that you have been called to Christ, and the evidence of this is, that although you were drifting away or being troubled in faith, you want to and are crawling back to the Cross.

Bible is the Sword of Spirit, so as to fight with Satan (and worldly deceptions). Your (like everyone's) enemy is Satan, he is very powerful, and all the time planning to deceive souls, through the worldly deception. How are you going to fight with such a powerful Satan ? We are being tempted everyday, we need the Word of God to save us in all those moments.

I would say that, yea reading can be boring at times, and Bible does have strong words, and needs lots of meditation on it to get to know the glory encapsulated in it, and that is why probably "the word of God" is termed as a "treasure", because the joy you get once you find it is immense.

You can listen to lots of audios from "Charles Spurgeon" and "A W Tozer" to help you start. There expositions are so easy to understand, and yet equally effective, I am sure that will arise anyone's interest in reading Bible again.

That is many of the other ways. This is what I do.. I memories Psalms, so that when I feel depressed or lost in faith, I preach myself through Psalms, or keeping "Scriptures" in sticky notes on my desktop, and keep checking them even in office. ;)

Psalm 43 is one such. :p

I will post, if I think of more. :)

"Be strong and Courageous, and pick up the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, and remember that Lord Your Saviour is with You."

D

dashadow

It would be helpful to know why you've been losing faith. Obviously, sincere prayer and fellowship with someone nearby would be helpful. Perhaps you could speak to someone at the church you were/are attending. It's never too late to get back on track with God. And there is always someone willing to help if you ask. God Bless!

V

vikash

Hi Johny, i m glad you accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior.

Luke 15:7 "I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."

This word say that when you accepted Christ, their was a celebration in heaven. Angels rejoiced when you accepted Christ.
Because Jesus Loves you. We humans fail to see that love many times, but his love for us never changes.

Don't be hard on yourself if you don't find yourself living upto word of God. It will discourage you. Give yourself time and let God grace bring change in you.

Always remember that, he loves you a lot and he care for you. His love is so awesome it will automatically bring change in you. He showed his love by sacrificing himself for us on the cross. Just have faith in him.

Its ok if you don't read bible and go to church, but start with thanking him and praising his name and let him take care of all things.. He will bring the best of you according to his time.

H

hattiebod

Over the last 6 months to a year I have been losing my faith in God. I still believe in christian values and morals but I don't read the bible anymore and very rarely go to church . However recently I have wanted to regain my faith in God but I am struggling to find a way back. Can anyone help me?
Hi there, I do not think it is very unusual to go through what you are going through, its not easy to stand firm, especially if you are not in a openly 'Christian' environment. I would strongly advise trying to find a good church, with a strong young adult / youth attendance where you will get company, teaching & activities that will be really relevant for you. You will be supported and mentored there. Try an attend a camp this summer? My son is 17 and he goes to Soul Survivor down in West Somerset, it has 4 separate weeks, different age groups etc and really builds him up in his faith, he makes friends, can see there is 'life' in following Jesus, with good music! and loads of fun. You could volunteer at that....There is also loads of stuff on line, opportunities to meet and mix with other Christian youth, weekend stuff, much of it very cheep & heavily subsidised. Sometimes it is hard to get 'back into the Word' but thats where you will find you faith growing, worshiping Him & praying. Just ask Him? tell God you are drifting and want to feel stronger and firmer in your faith. He will lead you! (But also find a church!! :) Of course you can find your way back....you want too...and He wants you....you cannot lose!! But you do need to be active! As they say....if you want to walk on water you have to get out of the boat! (I love that one!) God Bless you, <><

Z

zeezee

Hi, we should be proud that we know Jesus in our life. Eventough, we may forget him in our life, do all things everyday without 'say hello' to him. But, most important, He still loves us with the greatest of love. Don't let ur feel guilty make you are intimidated and say God I'm not perfect to go to GOD again. It just make the devil works into ur life. He loves us before we love him, us without Him, we are nothing just ashes but Him without us still a powerful and merciful GOD, so with kindness and generous love us with everlasting love. So, I u fall but don't loss your faith okay. GOD loves you more n more

A

Aqua_Girl09

I've been going through the same struggle. something thats helping right now is listening words on youtube. ^_^ Just what different people have to say about God and his word. andthen looking up those scriptures for myself. to see exactly what the bible is talking about instead of taking it out of contex.

One video that I keep watching over and over again is this one. Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus || Spoken Word - YouTube
^_^ hope it helps to point you in the right direction.

L

LBC

While you are finding your way back to fellowship and Bible study's, just remember to be careful of those you surround yourself with. The ppl you associate with while you are struggling can destroy your life before you know it's happened. If you don't make it to church call a Christian friend, get a notebook and write or doodle things that are pleasing to God or even pray for every thing every day, good or bad, just pray. I personally would choose 1 Christian friend or aquaintence to start texting or talking with several times a day, something like a sponsor, someone who is willing no matter when to talk about anything and everything with you. Never lose sight of your goal which is to be closer to God everyday. Sorry about any spelling errors, I am not a great speller. Everyone struggles from time to time, you aren't alone. I hope some of this will help you. May God wrap His arms around you and hold tight and may you feel His Love.

H

hattiebod

I just wanted to say thank you...I may not agree to all thats been said on some threads but I thank you for responding to this thread. I am writing here because so many threads are started and are never re-visited by the person who started it...but thats OK!! because many other folks may / will visit, thats our hope? some may drop by & read the Words you write and be convicted, encouraged & supported. God Bless you for responding. <><

J

jonnyp

While you are finding your way back to fellowship and Bible study's, just remember to be careful of those you surround yourself with. The ppl you associate with while you are struggling can destroy your life before you know it's happened. If you don't make it to church call a Christian friend, get a notebook and write or doodle things that are pleasing to God or even pray for every thing every day, good or bad, just pray. I personally would choose 1 Christian friend or aquaintence to start texting or talking with several times a day, something like a sponsor, someone who is willing no matter when to talk about anything and everything with you. Never lose sight of your goal which is to be closer to God everyday. Sorry about any spelling errors, I am not a great speller. Everyone struggles from time to time, you aren't alone. I hope some of this will help you. May God wrap His arms around you and hold tight and may you feel His Love.
Thanks for the advice :) I have a christian friend who is helping me find God's word again. We have been talking a lot recently and she went through the same thing a few months ago and is giving me lots of advice.