love

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

charisenexcelcis

Actually "storge" is what most people think of as "eros". While the Bible does not use the word "eros" (probably because it was also the name of a Greek god), it actually had a broader meaning than sex.

L

lil-rush

I don't really see how storge could be confused with eros.

The way I was taught, storge is the type of love you have for something by default. You were raised to love something, so you love it. Whereas eros is the type of love you have for something based on its worth.

And I wasn't trying to limit eros to sex, although I realize in hindsight it might have come across that way. Sorry.

D

Dmurray

Alright, sorry. I haven't learned anything but aggape and phileo

C

Consumed

Love is a decision
to accept-to give-to trust-unconditionally
Gods love for us is His choice to accept us, give us His Son,to trust we will follow Him, without being steered by our circumstances- still we cant do any of them without God to start with. To have Gods love is not just an emotion for God is love. worlds love is see touch feel,

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Love is a decision
to accept-to give-to trust-unconditionally
Gods love for us is His choice to accept us, give us His Son,to trust we will follow Him, without being steered by our circumstances- still we cant do any of them without God to start with. To have Gods love is not just an emotion for God is love. worlds love is see touch feel,
Yes it is a decision, but even more so to love with God's love, by His Spirit. In this we share in God, and we share God with each other, and God is shown in the world as He truly is. This is why Jesus said that if we have love for one another, then the whole world would know that we are His disciples.

M

miktre

how am i supposed to love everyone?! can love be given out so easily? does it say in the bible that it can? i know that God loves everyone, but how can i? im only human. does everyone really deserve love?
I didn't know that God loved everyone.

13As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
14What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
15For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
17For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
18Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
19Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

Aug 2, 2009
how am i supposed to love everyone?! can love be given out so easily? does it say in the bible that it can? i know that God loves everyone, but how can i? im only human. does everyone really deserve love?
We are to love everyone as our neighbor, and to love our neighbor as ourself (treat others how you yourself would want to be treated).

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Matthew 22:36-40

Notice that Jesus said that all the Law and the prophets hang on those two commandments.

And don't forget to love your enemies too! Treat them as u would a neighbor.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
We are to love everyone as our neighbor, and to love our neighbor as ourself (treat others how you yourself would want to be treated).

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Matthew 22:36-40

And don't forget to love your enemies too! Treat them as u would a neighbor.
That was under the Law. We are not under the Law, but under the new commandment of Jesus, that is,

"that you love one another even as I have loved you, so you love one another."

I find that after coming to know Jesus, and His love for me, that I do not love myself any longer, and I know that His love for me is the minimum for how much I am to love my brothers and sisters. And I know that the only way to have this love which is God's love is to have it flow through me by the Holy Spirit.

C

Consumed

Php 2:1 If there is therefore any encouragement in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any tendernesses and mercies,
Php 2:2 then fulfill my joy, that you may be like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord and of one mind.
Php 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than themselves.
Php 2:4 Do not let each man look upon his own things, but each man also on the things of others.
Php 2:5 For let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus

Aug 2, 2009
That was under the Law. We are not under the Law, but under the new commandment of Jesus, that is,

I find that after coming to know Jesus, and His love for me, that I do not love myself any longer, and I know that His love for me is the minimum for how much I am to love my brothers and sisters. And I know that the only way to have this love which is God's love is to have it flow through me by the Holy Spirit.
What? That was Jesus that I quoted.

Aug 2, 2009

Ok yes, that too, but I dont think that makes what Jesus said in Matthew 22 exempt.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009

The above is something we certainly are not exempt from, Yes it may sum up the Law, it is also the summing up of the Kingdom ethics, which is for the children of God.

Phil

L

leeannabanana

everythings is so much easier said than done! so frustrating!.....i have the hardest time forgiving and forgetting. i think its because i cant seem to forgive myself. like ill ask God for forgiveness for something and ill still let it trouble and discourage me....if i could just forgive myself maybe id have an easier time forgiving others..
Exactly. Start with forgiving yourself. Take some quiet time by yourself in your bedroom to sit and reflect on the things you would like God to forgive you for. Take everything, I mean everything, off your shoulders and give it to God. Do this literally if you have to. Say it, do it, and pray it. When you walk out of that room, believe that you have left it all behind you, and do!
I know forgiveness is hard, especially when people continue to do what you have forgiven them for! Think of how much we much frustrate God! Forgiveness is for you, not for the forgiven. You are not saying what they did is okay, you are simply wiping their slate (and yours) clean. You will find when you forgive someone for something that affects your life everyday, that you stop giving it the power to continue to affect your life everyday. It is when we carry the hurt, burden, and anger with us that they continue to have the power to hurt our lives. God wants us to forgive, the devil wants us to live a bitter, angry life. The choice is ours.
We all battle with forgiveness for our entire lives. Some are better at it then others. I can tell you though, that people who learn to be good at forgiving live much healthier and happier lives. Unforgiveness causes stress, which causes high blood pressure, which causes a whole host of medical problems!! Our bitterness really does make us physically ill!!!
If the person continues to do what you have forgiven them for again and again. Then you have a choice. You can continue to forgive them again and again. You can change your reaction, and choose not to let it bother you. Or, you can forgive the person one last time, and then cut them out of your life, and move on.
Hope this helps.

M

machew

The simple answer: There isn't one Christian that is able to.

What do I mean by this? We have no innate ability or desire to obey Jesus' commands without the Holy Spirit. So what does this mean? If we try to do it by our own ability we will inevitably fail. The only way gain the ability to Love, especially in the way Jesus commanded us to Love, is to allow the Holy Spirit to transform us. God already knows this, which is why He sent us the Holy Spirit(The Helper). He doesn't expect us to be able to do this on our own, because He already knows we are incapable of doing it on our own. If you feel guilty or like less of a Christian because you can't, then stop feeling that way. You can't be hard on yourself for something you are incapable of doing on your own.

The best advice I can give you is to invite the Holy Spirit to come into your life, to transform your heart to be like Jesus' heart. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you the Love God has for you. Only then will you have an ability to "Love one another as I(Jesus) have Loved you."

Blessings,

Machew

T

tkgurl

why are there emotions if love and all that is an action?

C

charisenexcelcis

I don't really see how storge could be confused with eros.

The way I was taught, storge is the type of love you have for something by default. You were raised to love something, so you love it. Whereas eros is the type of love you have for something based on its worth.

And I wasn't trying to limit eros to sex, although I realize in hindsight it might have come across that way. Sorry.
Eros is any physical love, from sexual to the feeling in the pit of my stomach that I get when I hold my baby grandchild. Storge is more passion, less rational. I think what you are describing is phileo. Of course the love of God transcends all these definitions.

C

charisenexcelcis

why are there emotions if love and all that is an action?
Because emotions are good. The action of love often leads to the "feeling". In any case, the action is not in opposition to the feeling.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Ok yes, that too, but I dont think that makes what Jesus said in Matthew 22 exempt.
There is a great divide, a point in time when things changed forever, and everything became new. That point is the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. Jesus was always comparing the way of God that He was bringing with the Law which was from God through Moses. He even said that He was greater than Moses, for a very specific reason. The love for our neighbor which is of the Law can in no way be compared to the commandment of Jesus to love one another even as He has loved us. Unless we understand this, we do not understand Jesus and His sacrifice for us and His Spirit of love and peace which we have in Him.

Feb 9, 2010
The Bible says one of the fruits of the Spirit is love.

The Bible says that love works no ill towards their neighbor;therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

The Bible says if we do not love our brother,we are still in darkness.

The only way we will make it to heaven is if we obey the 2 greatest commandments in the truth,which is to love God and love people.

That is our salvation,learning how to love,which love is what saves us.

The world is motivated by selfishness and arrogance,and God's kingdom is love,which is not selfishness and arrogance.

To belong to God's kingdom you have to have perfect love for God and for people.

Jesus said if you only love those who love you,what reward have you,for do not the heathen love their own.How are you different from the world if you only love those that love you?

We have to be different from the world,that is motivated by selfishness and arrogance,and only love people who love them,and sometimes they even backstab them.

We have to have perfect love even as our Father has perfect love,for Jesus told us to be perfect as our Father is perfect.
That way we are different than the world,and love all people no matter how they act towards us,which that perfect love is what saves us,which the world can never attain to that perfect love.

Jesus said to love your enemies,then you are perfect in love.

With us it is impossible to love all people if we are not led of the Spirit,but with God all things are possible.

If we are saved and led of the Spirit,we will have perfect love for people,and that love saves us,for then we are loving towards people as Jesus is loving towards people.

It is love that saves us,which we can never achieve in perfection in the world.

Repenting of our sins gets us to the removal of our sins,which gets us to having the Spirit,which causes us to have perfect love.

Matt

O

OreoSoleil

Sometimes loving someone doesn't mean liking them.

I have a teacher who is unsufferable. She's completely selfish and makes excuses to break engagments with students, blow people off, not teach, be unprepared, walk in late, not answer emails.

We dont get along. I'm a 24 year old woman not an 18 year old kid so I think she sees that I hold her more "accountable" for her actions than previous students.

I think that loving her would be to pray for her, forgive her, and go the extra mile to help her/understand her. This is just an example.

I love your last statement!!