messianic Jew

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Rheod

Hey I am considering becoming a Messianic Jew I was just wondering if anyone on here knew where I could start

H

Helloimandrewyo

I am messianic jewish, and there are quite a few others on here that are as well.

U

Ugly

Hey I am considering becoming a Messianic Jew I was just wondering if anyone on here knew where I could start
I'm a little confused by this. Your profile says you were saved in 2006. Are you of Jewish heritage? If so, then you already are a Messianc Jew. If you're not Jewish, you can't become a Messianc Jew.

R

Rheod

So how can I keep Jewish law and believe in Jesus if I am not born Jewish

shawntc

May 7, 2010
I don't understand. Why would you want to keep the Jewish law? The New Covenant is not bound by that.

R

Rheod

There are aspects of it I feel are important for example Passover. Christians should be just as greatful God passed over the Isralites and set them free. So why don't we do it.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
There are aspects of it I feel are important for example Passover. Christians should be just as greatful God passed over the Isralites and set them free. So why don't we do it.
I dunno why we stopped doing it. I would imagine it ended early in church history but I could be mistaken. See, I thought you meant you wanted to subject yourself to the 619 commands of the Old Testament. Ceremonies and rituals, although technically unnecessary, aren't inherently bad to follow if they are done for God's honor.

R

Rheod

Christian means Christ like however we don't even celebrate the festivals Jesus/Yeshua did

shawntc

May 7, 2010
Christian means Christ like however we don't even celebrate the festivals Jesus/Yeshua did
And you wish to celebrate those? Then by all means, feel free to do so. Because Messianic Judaism is very Jewish (go figure), the desire to experience Judaism you express in your other post will be fulfilled. In a sort of way, Jesus and the early church were Messianic Jews. :D

R

Rheod

That's what I want to live like. Judaism has always had a calling for me. I don't know why though

shawntc

May 7, 2010
That's what I want to live like. Judaism has always had a calling for me. I don't know why though
A calling you say? Hmm, maybe God wishes you to pursue that desire? *Rubs chin* Pardon the cliche, but have you prayed about this? Does it seem God has indicated whether or not to try this?

A

aussieguy

A jew is a people group they are not defined by their rituals and ceremonies, so its impossible to become a Jew we are gentiles.

The reason we dont celebrate passover is cuz it was fulfilled in Christ there was no need to perform those ceremonies anymore cuz while God passed over the isrealites and set them free, it was a just an example and a shadowy picture of the coming death and sacrifice of the Lamb that is Jesus Christ and through His blood we are saved, and from memory the passover lamb for the jews when it happend no bones could be broken on the lamb.
i think luke 22 is where Jesus talks bout fulfilling the passover.
He practised the ceremonies 1 cuz he was part of the jewish culture and thats how they rolled and 2 He hasnt died on the cross yet which is what fulfills the ceremony.

R

Rheod

But then why not do it as a symbol of the last ritual Jesus undertook.

A

aussieguy

thats why we have the Lords supper in which He told us to do to remember what He did on the cross. i corinthians 11: 23 - 26

A

Adhis

That's why we have Holy communion, we do what Jesus instructed us to do. We just don't celebrate the passover in the manner that the Jews do. And I know you have already heard this but maybe you are drawn to the Jewish culture and way of life because you have a calling to minister to Jews. Pray about it

U

Ugly

If you're really wanting to live that way, then you should bypass Jesus all together. Go straight to finding a Jewish priest to sacrifice animals to forgive your sins and have a separation between God and man. Why live under the Law? Jesus abide by the festivals and practices of HIS culture at the time. Judaism is not our culture. Jesus adopted us into His family as gentiles. He made it so ALL people could come to Him as simply as accepting and believing on Him. He made it easy as that. Trying to go back into His culture and saying we should be living in that culture, even though He came and died so we wouldn't have to, is backwards. These were the rules and laws and methods to follow God. Now all we need to reach God is Jesus Himself, not rituals, rites, practices, ancient cultural parties, etc.
Thats not to say that there's nothing to learn from digging into Judaism and its ties with Christianity, but to imply we need to begin living that way again is a whole different story.

Jan 24, 2012
I don't understand. Why would you want to keep the Jewish law? The New Covenant is not bound by that.
Or is it? Read Restoration by D. Thomas Lancaster. It could very well change your entire perception of what Christianity is supposed to be

J

jimmydiggs

Galatians 3
3 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. 2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by[a] the flesh? 4 Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? 5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith— 6 just as Abraham “believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”?

7 Know then that it is those of faith who are the sons of Abraham. 8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify[c] the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “In you shall all the nations be blessed.” 9 So then, those who are of faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
I'm pretty sure Messianic Jews don't try to get salvation through the Law. They keep traditions like Passover, Tabernacles, and whatnot, but they know their salvation is only through Yeshua.

P

Philos

If you want to continue the traditions of these so-called feasts, you don't need to become a Messianic Jew to do so.

Isa 1:14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.

Hos 2:11 I will also cause all her mirth to cease, her feast days, her new moons, and her sabbaths, and all her solemn feasts.

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.