Mortal and Venial sins

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Metternich

Jan 13, 2018
We Catholics believe there are two kinds of sin. The more serious is mortal or deadly. Deadly that is for the soul. These are serious infractions of the Ten Commandments and cause a loss of sanctifying grace to the soul without which you cannot enter heaven. A person who dies with unforgiven mortal sin on their soul goes to hell.

Venial sins are harmful and offend God but they do not result in the loss of sanctifying grace. An example would be the theft of something like a pencil. If you steal $10,000 then it is mortal.

I have been told numerous times on this website that there is no such distinction. Sin is sin. I saw something in a post that got me thinking. It said a person who had sinned must not have been really saved in the first place. So there are thousands of saved individuals on this site and scripture says they are sinners but they do not doubt their salvation. But some sins do cause others to doubt the salvation of people. So what are the sins that if someone committed you would question whether they were saved in the first place?

A

Ariel82

There is a difference between immature Christians and people who are never saved before.it's not their level of sin but the presence of the Holy Spirit and His conviction.

We Christians believe that sanctifying grace is from God and able to cleanse people of all their sins.

Salvation is a personal life long relationship with God, not a works based rule based expectation based burden or goal post to be met.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Jesus identified only one unforgivable sin.

Metternich

Jan 13, 2018
Jesus identified only one unforgivable sin.
I am not talking about unforgivable sin, I want to know what sins a saved person might commit that would cause you to doubt that they were ever saved in the first place.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
We Catholics believe there are two kinds of sin. The more serious is mortal or deadly. Deadly that is for the soul. These are serious infractions of the Ten Commandments and cause a loss of sanctifying grace to the soul without which you cannot enter heaven. A person who dies with unforgiven mortal sin on their soul goes to hell.

Venial sins are harmful and offend God but they do not result in the loss of sanctifying grace. An example would be the theft of something like a pencil. If you steal $10,000 then it is mortal.

I have been told numerous times on this website that there is no such distinction. Sin is sin. I saw something in a post that got me thinking. It said a person who had sinned must not have been really saved in the first place. So there are thousands of saved individuals on this site and scripture says they are sinners but they do not doubt their salvation. But some sins do cause others to doubt the salvation of people. So what are the sins that if someone committed you would question whether they were saved in the first place?
If stealing $10,000.00 is a mortal sin, then would stealing $9999.99 be considered a venial sin?

Sep 4, 2012
People don't fall from grace when they sin. People fall from grace when they try to justify themselves by doing things.

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
We look at things the wrong way here. It is the principal of the matter. No mater if you still a penny, or millions, you are still a thief.

E

eternally-gratefull

If we break even the least if the commands we are founf guilty if the whole law

the roman church has led you astray

Metternich

Jan 13, 2018
If stealing $10,000.00 is a mortal sin, then would stealing $9999.99 be considered a venial sin?
The sin is in the harm caused to the owner. If you stole a penny from a beggar that might qualify as a mortal sin. If you do not mind could you answer my question at the bottom?

E

eternally-gratefull

You have not answered my question at the bottom. It seems to me you do have gradations of sin.
I just showed you where james said there is no gradation of sin.

your arggument is with james, not me.

L

LPT

I can say this much, there is not one single person in these forums who has been perfect since being saved. Who has made mistakes and sinned against another or what ever. any one says they don't sin is blind or lying.

Metternich

Jan 13, 2018
I just showed you where james said there is no gradation of sin.

your arggument is with james, not me.
When that pastor was caught having an affair with a male prostitute did you question whether he had been truly saved?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
The sin is in the harm caused to the owner. If you stole a penny from a beggar that might qualify as a mortal sin. If you do not mind could you answer my question at the bottom?
To obtain salvation there must be repentance along with forgiveness. I would say to continue to commit a sin that seems to have a hold of you that you continue to practice without your conscious bothering you. I agree with this post, that the degree of the seriousness of a particular sin may be relative to the degree of harm that has been caused as a result.

I was born and raised a Catholic as well but started to question certain practices at an early age that seemed contrary to scripture. I no longer attend mass but believe that there are problems in doctrine and practices with all Christian religious denominations but perhaps not to the degree as found in Catholicism. Also, I consider anyone that has been born again a Christian regardless of what church or denomination they belong to, if any.

U

Ugly

There is no such thing as a sin that is evidence one was not saved in the first place. Christianity is a journey. And we all start with different struggles and pasts. Often the "severity" of a sin has more to do with how we individually interpret it than any list.
I did not grow up around violence, so, personally, seeing a Christian behave violently "feels" like a bigger sin. Whereas a person that grew up around violence may not see it as being as big if a deal as I do, but sins I grew up around and they didn't may seem worse to them and not as big of a deal to me.
So asking individuals their personal, subjective opinions on which sin is "the sin" is fruitless. Personal perceptions are not a basis for spiritual fact. So your question is meaningless.

Also since we are all on a journey and at different places in our faith and with different things going on in our lives we all have different states we're in. A new Christian may be more inclined to make a major screw up than a seasoned Christian. Or one person struggling with certain sins while others struggle with different. Who are we as humans to dictate which is worse? We all required salvation.
And ultimately God looks at the heart and motives. Something we can't judge. Two Christians may commit the same sin with different reasons and motives and react differently to it. One may be saved and the other never really saved. But it's God's job to know and decide, not ours.

E

eternally-gratefull

When that pastor was caught having an affair with a male prostitute did you question whether he had been truly saved?

When your priest was molesting those boys do you question if he was saved?

i am not god, i have no right to judge anyone, i am not sinless. Who do you think gves you the right to judge? Who made you God?

Sep 4, 2012
How about the two Catholic priests who were just caught in bed with each other? Slap on the wrist for each, right?

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Jesus paid for all sin at the cross, being the perfect atonement. How then do we distinguish sin as being mortal or venial, as if to say He didn't pay for all sin?

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia

Geez man, Adam just ate some fruit and caused the world to fall.

Think about it, these man made ideas mean nothing.