Moving in with my mom? PLEASE help :)..

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jakob

Jul 15, 2014
Basically me and my brother were removed when he was 8 and i was 4 to a foster family from our mom and dad.
A lot has happened since then.

I moved out from the good foster family 11 months ago when i was 17 to a youth apartment.
My mom is an alcoholic, and when i was younger I had a fear of her dying out of nowhere, (like my dad).
My older brother couldnt sleep at moms place, when we were allowed, because he was afraid that one of her bf would come into her house and hit her or something.

While my brother was at a mental hospital the last year, i visited my mom alone often, and sometimes (really not often, maybe 1/15 times) she was drunk. Maybe less times.
The thing is, she has a wrong mindset towards life and almost everything.
I know, even though she never showed me it, but that she is a strong woman. She had a terrible childhood too.

I live in the youth apartment now, it is in the city, so it's close to everything. But there's a lot of noisy neighbors (

I really think I'm "strong" or whatever enough to live with my mom, like, for just a year or something.
I figured, i'll be 19 in January, this might be my only chance to live with her before years pass by :p

The thing is, it can either be an awful experience i'll have, where we argue, or where she drinks a lot infront of me, and therefor arguments, and she'll have her boyfriend over, so not a lot of privacy.
OR it could be an awesome experience, where I helped her not only with her, but with her whole house, with cleaning and painting, and just make her home not so messy. Things like.... she never had a lamp in her bathroom in 8 years, we have to use flashlights if we have to use the toilet at the evening haha. She dont have lamps in the living room or entrance or kitchen either.
And I would try to change her, but also, not getting my hopes to high.
But like small steps, like we could read in the bible all day for ONE day every week. And make sure we do it.
(She's not a christian, she always had pictures of Jesus on her wall. But more of Bob Marley.)
But we do have many same interest like we both read, we both like the same music, she's interested in art.
I think it would be fun.. Or maybe i'm just saying that cause I never had a mother? :p

The question is, would it be to.. risky to live with my mom for a year or two?
Or will I regret not sezing this last oppotunity when I get older, cause "what if" I could have changed her, etc.

I dont even know if she want's me there. I asked for fun like 2 months ago, and she said "sure, I have one room you can have" but I wonder if she said that just cause i'm her son, and she feels like she needs to say yes to everything i say to make up for her past mistakes?
And if she says yes, but is too tired to take care of a teenager, she's 53, then I understand.
I just dont wanna regret not... trying.

D

didymos

I understand the thought of moving in with your mother seems tempting at the moment. She's still your mother and, like you said, the circumstances in your youth apartment aren't ideal for your development. I'd advise you not to though. She doesn't seem too eager to 'care for you' and the situation at your mom's isn't ideal either. Clearly you mom has enough to deal with herself, so you'll probably end up caring for her in instead. You can visit her as much as you like though.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
I have a father who is extremely violent... He has been in and out of jail his whole life for domestic assault... When I was a child (around 6-8) I would cry anytime my I had to go to my fathers house because of the joint custody from the divorce... I ended up living from 12-14years of age at my mothers without seeing my dad...Around 15 I started visiting him again, but not for long periods of time. One day my mother and I got in a fight and I decided I would move in with my dad. He was being extremely cool and it seemed like his life was changing and I could handle him if he got violent since I was getting older... For about 3 months everything was great, I loved his girlfriend and him to death... But his girlfriend was a drunk, she would be plastered by 5 in the afternoon when I came home from school, and would stay up till 12 drinking...

We ended up getting in a verbal fight (my dad's girlfriend and me) and she spit in my face. I then punched her...

The next day, she scratched the living daylights out of my arm...

And everyday after that my awesome world become a little bit more of a hell...

One day I was extremely tired, because I spent all day hunting with my best friend at the time. So i came home to take a nap, my father is bi-polar and decided that I HAVE TO go to town with him. When I told him no, it became a fist fight... I weigh 140lbs, 5'8''... My father is 6foot something, and is a carpenter for a living...

Long story short, don't dip your toe in the water and think that it's going to be good and dive in head first... The pool could be only an inch deep and you will break your neck...

Go in slowly and always have an escape route.

Just to give another example of why you don't trust people who have a track record of getting you into trouble... I went on a family road trip with my sister, father, and I about 1 month ago... During the trip my father and I got in a fight, in the car going 80mph on the interstate, we got into a fist fight... Again, when people have a track record of getting you into trouble, remember it... And be cautious...

If your mom has a history of dating men who are violent be careful! BE VERY CAREFUL!

Take my advice,getting in a fist fight when you're over 18 is NOT FUN!

Last edited:
S

sassylady

Doesn't sound like a great idea and a lot of expectations could end up being very disappointing. Keep in contact but don't move in.

Jakob

Jul 15, 2014
Hey, thanks everyone for commenting.
I might try to live with her for 6 months just to see how it is, and in 7 months college starts for me i guess. :p
I really wanna make her a christian, and if not, then a better person. Not nesseceraily a role model. I cant spell that word btw.

V

VioletReigns

First let me say that my heart goes out to you, dear brother Jakob. Isn't it odd how when we come out of a bad childhood we think we have to go back and fix everything? But I understand your love and concern for your beloved mom.

For certain no matter what you do, the Lord Jesus goes before you to make a way and will always be there to guide you and help you. But often when we run ahead too quickly, the road grows unnecessarily rough. Also, dear brother, as much as we'd like to see people's lives get better, we cannot change them. Ever. EVER! We might influence them somewhat, but until your mother sees her need for Christ Jesus, she will not submit to Him. Your trying to make things easy for her might prolong her coming to Jesus because you will be her savior, not the Lord. Sometimes we interfere in God's purposes rather than help.

But we all do what we are going to do, and it seems you've made up your mind about moving in. The Lord knows your heart. Ask Him to guide you in your relationship with your mother. Pray, pray, pray always and trust the Lord to move in your mother's life and bring her to Him. Pray God's perfect will in your mother's life, that her eyes be open to Jesus and her heart open to His call.

I stand with you in prayer and faith that your mother would accept Jesus as her Savior. And I ask God to keep you and strengthen you with wisdom, bless you in grace and give you the desire of your heart. You're an awesome son, Jakob. You bless my heart with your love for your mother. :)

I will also keep your brother in prayer! In Jesus' name, may he be blessed in grace & peace!

Last edited:
P

psychomom

Jakob, i only want to caution you to think about this...

do you want your mom to change for you, or for her?

many blessings,
ellie

B

biscuit

I believe you should move on such as enrolling in a 4 year college. It should give you plenty of space and opportunities to growing spiritual, mentally & physically.

My mother had psychological problems and I stayed with her until 21 thinking she would get better and I was wrong. Stop living your life for your mother and live it for yourself.

Jakob

Jul 15, 2014
I want her to change for me probably 60%, so she can be a good role model, and I can get education without having to worry about her. And so i dont have to be "ashamed" of my mom, cause it is an addiction, it's not her. The devil has a hold of her :p and it's just hard i guess.
40% for her own fault. I know her childhood, and what she been through, I've seen her with her boyfriends, she does deserve better, she deserves every blessed emotion, so she can go back in her life and say "wow, i never knew I had this emotion inside of me. A smile is better when you remember what it was to be sad" You know?
I dont know what im gonna do really. I could "just" get an addiction and set an example and stuff myself. But i've tried and its hard to stay concerned with worrying etc :p

Jakob

Jul 15, 2014
I live on this tiny island you see. with 35.000 people on it. I could move away, for a college. I guess.?

Jakob

Jul 15, 2014
Also thank you all for being so nice, this is like a big issue that keeps me awake at night so yeah, thanks. It's currently 3 am. lol

B

biscuit

I live on this tiny island you see. with 35.000 people on it. I could move away, for a college. I guess.?
It changed my life for the better under extraordinary conditions.

Jakob

Jul 15, 2014
My first comment isnt supposed to say "I could just get an addiction and set an example" i meant education x)
I cant edit my posts apparently so