NO CHRISTIANS AT MY NEW JOB

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 4, 2017
I only got saved a couple of weeks ago but already im struggling at my new job mostly men who swear all the time and the usual dirty jokes and talking about taking drugs an all sorts, im a prep chef in local hotel, its hard work and stressful, nobody knows im a christian , i just blend in cause i do have a good sense of humour and do enjoy a laugh and the craic as we say ere in Ireland lol, oh id love a job working with other Christians it would be so much easier, but its also easy to slip back into sinning again that;s my worry and im very aware of it iv prayed a christian just one christian cross's my path, so im just keeping a low profile and blending in and getting on with my job, any advise or similar experiences fellow brothers and sisters lol?

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
You can't change the environment,
so you'd best get yourself out of it.
Plow through your work and ignore them as
much as possible while you look for another job.

brixton

Nov 5, 2017
Anguss. Yes its a common situation when you are newly saved Do not be deterred.
Just pray to the lord that some one will approach you for spiritual help.

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
I only got saved a couple of weeks ago but already im struggling at my new job mostly men who swear all the time and the usual dirty jokes and talking about taking drugs an all sorts, im a prep chef in local hotel, its hard work and stressful, nobody knows im a christian , i just blend in cause i do have a good sense of humour and do enjoy a laugh and the craic as we say ere in Ireland lol, oh id love a job working with other Christians it would be so much easier, but its also easy to slip back into sinning again that;s my worry and im very aware of it iv prayed a christian just one christian cross's my path, so im just keeping a low profile and blending in and getting on with my job, any advise or similar experiences fellow brothers and sisters lol?
It's great to have a sense of humor, but the Bible teaches us to step out from among them! To let our Jesus light shine. The most important thing you can do as a Christian is to let others see Him working in your life. He will lead and guide you in all things if you submit yourself in all things. You can't mess up your salvation...but the Lord gave the laws and on this side of the cross, we follow them because they are good for us! There are lots of Christians who deal with persecution for their beliefs...but it makes us stronger and Jesus was persecuted for us all. When you let them direct your path, you're letting them persecute Him again! If being a Christian was easy....every one would be saved and living a perfect life and He wouldn't of needed to pay the ultimate sacrifice! I say, start your day in prayer, read your Bible...especially scripture to specifically to address your situation, ask Jesus to help you with what to say and do at work.
And yes...I was a chef for 2 years...it is hard work! You can concentrate on doing a good job and let God use you for His glory! Plenty of people here willing to help and pray for you! God bless! Imagine the things you can do!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2015
I agree with some of the things sais here, and not with others.

You might want to keep two things in mind:
1) If they can't tell you are a Christian, then to an outsider, ALL of you look the same.
2) You are likely to present a fairly unforgiving attitude if you do decide to open your mouth.... nearly all new Christians tend to do that.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Anguss,

Most Christians in the world DO work around nonbelievers.
This is a normal common thing.
Also, if we aren't ever around nonbelievers, then how can we ever share our faith with them?

You may simply need to learn how to deal with your current job better, or you may need to find a new job.
This is a very personal kind of decision, and you need to be cautious, and prudent, and pray about it a lot.
I would NOT recommend leaving s job just because you have some naughty coworkers... because you're going to find that everywhere.

You need to be learning your bible, and learning biblical principles to deal with all these difficult things in life.
As you grow in the faith, and in the scripture, if you feel strongly led to leave your job, then that is something you should eventually do.
But dealing with lost coworkers is a pretty normal thing, and most Christians on the planet have the same problem, and it's often just part of our spiritual growth in perseverance and wisdom.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
It's great to have a sense of humor, but the Bible teaches us to step out from among them! To let our Jesus light shine. The most important thing you can do as a Christian is to let others see Him working in your life. He will lead and guide you in all things if you submit yourself in all things. You can't mess up your salvation...but the Lord gave the laws and on this side of the cross, we follow them because they are good for us! There are lots of Christians who deal with persecution for their beliefs...but it makes us stronger and Jesus was persecuted for us all. When you let them direct your path, you're letting them persecute Him again! If being a Christian was easy....every one would be saved and living a perfect life and He wouldn't of needed to pay the ultimate sacrifice! I say, start your day in prayer, read your Bible...especially scripture to specifically to address your situation, ask Jesus to help you with what to say and do at work.
And yes...I was a chef for 2 years...it is hard work! You can concentrate on doing a good job and let God use you for His glory! Plenty of people here willing to help and pray for you! God bless! Imagine the things you can do!
I was a chef for a year. Yes, extremely hard and stressful. In most establishments the wages are not commensurate to all the actual hard work and stress associated with it.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Most workplaces have their own vernacular and humor and it's usually a little on the raw side. The best example that you can set in the workplace is how you conduct yourselves. I would be careful not to openly judge anyone. There are probably Christians in the job that you do have without you realizing it. I believe that you feel you are in a lonely and isolated environment but that may change.

Jan 27, 2015
That's a funny-looking Irish flag above your name :p

I went to grad school (in the U.S.) and most of my classmates, and even some of my professors, sweared as if swearing was their major. I didn't. Plenty of my classmates were cussing bundles of depression and stress. I wasn't. I didn't contribute to certain conversations either. And that was fine. I did what I came to do and got out when I was done doing that. I stayed myself, and was cordial. Prayed for and with some people. But nobody along the way had to become a bestie. Fitting in was not my goal.

You don't have to laugh at anything you don't actually find funny. Every joke is not funny, whether it's dirty or not. So stop trying to fit in by laughing.

Just act the way you normally would. If you don't swear, don't swear. If you don't make dirty jokes or laugh at them, don't make dirty jokes or laugh at them. Anybody ask you why, tell them why.

It's that simple.

Stay focused on what you came there for, be at peace with everyone (as much as it depends on you), and witness when the opportunity presents itself.

T

toinena

Anguss
We are called to be the salt but also the light in this world. It is not easy. But being a Christian is not always that.
When I was newly saved, I was very shy. I went to church but didn't have any Christian friends. I was even so shy I (this is very silly) I didn't wear glasses in church. I didn't want to be seen, and when I didn't wear glasses, I didn't see the eyes staring at me, so it made me feel invisible.

I took my pride, and this is also silly, in being like the other. I didn't hide my faith. I went to church and read my Bible. But I didn't promote it, either. People I studied with thought I was a "different" Christian, because I was hiding behind my sense of humour. I didn't swear. And I didn't lead a sinful life. But still. It was difficult balancing being Christian and living, working and studying among non-believers.

You need to get into a Christian community. Make solid, Christian friends. Being here is a start, but you should also act it out in the real life. Have you tried looking locally if they have an Alpha course? That is a great place to start. You will grow in faith, knowledge and confidence in being a Christian.

I appreciate you are posting stuff here. It might take some time, but this is a great place to make friends. Just keep on participating here, and before you know it, you are one of the gang.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Wow! Saved only a few weeks, and already on the mission field! What a difficult, but awesome blessing.

I would start by praying for every person by name. Pray God would open their hearts to the gospel. Pray God would show you how to minister to these people. Learn the Roman road by memory. It’s s little break down of the gospel, by using verses from Romans. Then you will have the right words to say! But don’t quote, put it in your own words, and use a modern Bible version. Or Irish, if that works! And live the life as a Christian!

Can you rejoice at being persecuted for the sake of Christ? What a hard question for a new believer! But no different than what happened in the early church!

And get people in your church praying for you, and your coworkers. You could end up with a revival! God bless!

EarsToHear

Jan 14, 2016
You're there to earn a living, not to worry about whether or not the other folks are Christians. Most bosses do not want religion talked about during work hours.

Just put in a good day's work by going beyond what's expected, which sets a good example.

Pilkington

Jan 13, 2015
Anguss you have been given a lot of good advice. Praise God that you have come to know Him. You are at the start of the most awesome adventure. The most important thing is to pray, read the Bible, go to Church or have fellowship with other believers, this will help you to grow. If you do a good job, but don't swear etc people will notice but notice in a good way. Ask for God's wisdom when to say something and when not. Most environments I have worked Christians have been in the minority. But as others have said we are called to be salt and light.
One of my friends at Church is a former Michellen stared chief, who has run his own resturant, he now is a college lecturer. Are you in Northern or Southern Ireland?

Yeraza_Bats

Dec 11, 2014
Ever since coming to Christ, Ive worked with one other Christian person. There arent many Christians in my field of work, it seems : p

Theres been alot of good advice here, just do what you came in to do, work hard and make a living. Try not to engage in jokes you think are wrong. Treat your coworkers with the same respect and compassion you wanted to be treated with, and try not to fret about being the only Christian there.

Ill totally pray for another follower of Christ to come your way and become your friend and all that, I know that feeling, too :p But try not to beat yourself up over any of it, and always try to do whats right.

Im glad that you have answered His call too, btw.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Let your coworkers see Jesus in you.

Read and follow your employee's handbook. Always arrive at work early. Do your work to the best of your ability. Don't complain to or about coworkers. Don't participate in gossip. Don't cheat your boss out of time by taking extended breaks, extra time for lunch, or quitting work early. Remember, your boss expects a good product from you , but God expects you to deliver your boss the best product possible.

If you really are the only Christian in your workplace, start your day by praying for each of your coworkers, and and ask God to guide you throughout the day.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
You can't change the environment,
so you'd best get yourself out of it.
Plow through your work and ignore them as
much as possible while you look for another job.
It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're working with turkeys. ;)

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I see a few good posts here.. But one point i will add.. Do not run away from unbelievers even if they are a bit ruff and crass.. You will be running for the rest of your life if you start to run now because unbelievers are everywhere.. We are called to be ready to share the Gospel to unbelievers when the opportunity arises.. So try to look at your situation as a target rich environment :) ..

Noe there may come a time when you may find out that the people around you are not open to the truth and are actually activily opposed to the truth and will persecute you because they hate the truth.. In that case you will have to decide to shake the dust off your shoes and leave them and seek another place to work.. But for now i would stay and be the Light for them.. You are the only Light they may ever see.. So love them and be a great friend to them.. So that when the time comes when you get the opportunity to share the Gospel your words will have weight because they will know you are a good friend and a caring person.. It is harder to hate on someone when you think they are a top guy,,,

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I wouldn't be too concerned about the cursing or dirty jokes.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I wouldn't be too concerned about the cursing or dirty jokes.
Where I work, it's less about cursing or dirty jokes (0% tolerance on sexual harassment) and more about gossiping, back stabbing, and throwing your fellow worker under the bus. Dog eat dog. :rolleyes:

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Where I work, it's less about cursing or dirty jokes (0% tolerance on sexual harassment) and more about gossiping, back stabbing, and throwing your fellow worker under the bus. Dog eat dog. :rolleyes:
That's what I would be concerned about.