NOOB to the Bible and Christianity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Friday317

Aug 13, 2020
Oregon, USA
Hello Everyone,
My name is Friday and I have found my way to Christian Chat after a few months of reading the KJV Bible. A little about me: I do not come from a Christian background although I was baptized Catholic when I was 10 years of age. My understanding of scripture is limited at best and I am here to post questions and read other peoples opinions and interpretations, in hopes of gaining a greater understanding of GOD.

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
Hello Friday, we are glad that you have joined us here at Christian Chat. Look through the forums, perhaps the Bible Discussion or Miscellaneous forum to find a thread where you can interact with others to answer your questions. Or you could start your own thread by asking a question about the Bible and how to bring God into your life.

There are many helpful people here. In fact, most of us are here to encourage one another. Also you may want to join a Bible discussion group at a local church near where you live. We look forward to chatting with you. Welcome, Friday.

Izzy_007

Aug 14, 2020
Hey Friday, would you be down to do some Bible Studies through Zoom? honestly best way to get to know God is getting it from studying the Bible.

Also whats a question you really curious about??

Friday317

Aug 13, 2020
Oregon, USA
Hey Friday, would you be down to do some Bible Studies through Zoom? honestly best way to get to know God is getting it from studying the Bible.

Also whats a question you really curious about??
I am down to talk on the forum, not gonna lie the internet scares me.

Where do i begin? I guess one of the things I'd like to understand is: What do I take away from daily readings? My first set intention at first was just to read the whole thing straight through like any normal book and hope for the best. However the more I read (Currently lost in the 5th Book of Moses) , the more I realize I don't understand.

Izzy_007

Aug 14, 2020

Where do i begin? I guess one of the things I'd like to understand is: What do I take away from daily readings? My first set intention at first was just to read the whole thing straight through like any normal book and hope for the best. However the more I read (Currently lost in the 5th Book of Moses) , the more I realize I don't understand.
Hey! I totally understand. Would love to answer that question. I personally would say begin in the Book of John. It's honestly the best book to start in because it teaches people how to personally get to know Jesus. The first five books could be difficult to understand. One thing i personally did was start my day every morning by reading and praying.

Ask yourself these three questions:
1. What is going on here?
2. Who is this message directed to?
3. How does this apply to me?

Friday317

Aug 13, 2020
Oregon, USA
That is great advice, I am gonna put those on a post it to put in my Bible.
So my take on this so fa, since I started from beginning in Genesis, is a that everything I am reading is written from the perspective of Moses. Is that correct?
So far Moses has led his people, not sure what they are called anymore, out of Egypt and through the wilderness and they haven't reached the promise land? (That's something im confused about...)
How do I know who the message is directed to? Is it supposed to be directed at me or the people in the text? Is Holy Scripture like fables where I am supposed to apply the message to my own life?

Friday317

Aug 13, 2020
Oregon, USA
Hello Friday, we are glad that you have joined us here at Christian Chat. Look through the forums, perhaps the Bible Discussion or Miscellaneous forum to find a thread where you can interact with others to answer your questions. Or you could start your own thread by asking a question about the Bible and how to bring God into your life.

There are many helpful people here. In fact, most of us are here to encourage one another. Also you may want to join a Bible discussion group at a local church near where you live. We look forward to chatting with you. Welcome, Friday.
I also wanted to ask, how does one find out where and when a bible study is? Is a church just like open to anyone or do i sign up? (not trying to be funny) also how do i know what church to go to?

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
I started from beginning in Genesis, is a that everything I am reading is written from the perspective of Moses. Is that correct? So far Moses has led his people, not sure what they are called anymore, out of Egypt and through the wilderness and they haven't reached the promise land? (That's something im confused about...) How do I know who the message is directed to? Is it supposed to be directed at me or the people in the text? Is Holy Scripture like fables where I am supposed to apply the message to my own life?
Hello @Friday317, welcome to CChat :)

God is the Author of the OT and the NT in the sense that every word in the Bible (whether He spoke them or not) are words that are there by His choice/intention/ordination (the Holy Spirit seeing to it by superintending its writing). In fact, we call the Bible the "word of God" for that very reason, because that's what it is .. e.g. 2 Timothy 3:16-17. And yes, Moses is human author of the Pentateuch (the "5 Books of Moses"/Genesis through Deuteronomy), and much therefore is written from his POV.

Israel was the people that Moses led out of Egypt and to the Promised Land (the Israelites).

You also asked, is what is written in the Bible directed towards people in the text OR towards you and the rest of us? Generally speaking, the answer to those two questions is "yes" ;)

Finally, the Bible is, generally speaking, filled with true stories, real people, real places, and actual events that are all historical.

I hope that helps a bit.

God bless you!

~Deut
p.s. - after you finish Deuteronomy, you might want to jump over and read some or all of the NT before returning to the OT. The Gospel of John is the best place to begin, IMHO. Also, don't hesitate to ask us if you have any questions.

Romans 10
9 If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
10 for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
I also wanted to ask, how does one find out where and when a bible study is? Is a church just like open to anyone or do i sign up? (not trying to be funny) also how do i know what church to go to?
Good question. I suggest you ask your friends where they go to church or just pick a church and then attend a church service there. Go a little early and ask some of the others at the church about a Bible study group and if there is an adult Sunday School (these are usually less formal than the church service). The church denomination is not important as long as the church is not a "cult".

You may not feel comfortable when attending the first or second church you visit. But soon you should find the right church and group of people where you will feel at home.

Friday, I do hope you find a church home very soon. If you have further questions, please ask. In fact you may want to go to the miscellaneous forum and start your own thread about finding a church. I believe the church exists to encourage us in our daily walk with our Christ but the real guidepost to Him is the Bible.

PS. Just remember Friday, God looks not at what religion we are nor our good works. He looks at our hearts. Our love for Him should be directed to Him and not to a church.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello again Friday, first off, you can access great teaching on the Internet 24/7 (though these kind of teaching sites are not meant to replace going to church & being a part of the fellowship of the visible body of Christ). Here are a few sites to check out if you'd like to.

Dr. R. C. Sproul - https://renewingyourmind.org/
Dr. John MacArthur - https://www.gty.org/
Dr. Chuck Swindoll - https://insight.org/
Dr. Ravi Zacharias - https://www.rzim.org/

As for our churches, they are open to all (normally). They are the best place to find a Bible Study group to join, just FYI.

As for finding a church, I would look for one that focuses on teaching the Bible. One way to figure out how important the Bible is to a church is to ask their pastor if he believes/teaches that the Bible is both inerrant and infallible. If he does, then you can be pretty assured that they take the Bible very seriously in that church, believing that every word of it comes directly from God Himself.

Here's a short article from our friends at "GotQuestions.org" about finding the right church (check out the additional article links at the bottom as well). Got Questions would actually be a great place for you to bookmark, because answering questions from Christians and Christian seekers alike, is what they do :)

God bless you!

~Deut

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Hello Everyone,
My name is Friday and I have found my way to Christian Chat after a few months of reading the KJV Bible. A little about me: I do not come from a Christian background although I was baptized Catholic when I was 10 years of age. My understanding of scripture is limited at best and I am here to post questions and read other peoples opinions and interpretations, in hopes of gaining a greater understanding of GOD.
Hello Friday. And welcome aboard CC :)

I was formerly a catholic but a friend gave me the Bible to read and i became a Christian.. I use a KJV Bible now but the first Bible i read was a NKJV Bible.. Anyway i would be happy to hear any questions you have about the scriptures. (y)

Take care and i will hopefully see you soon..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

When i was reading the Bible for the first time i had a similar experience.. But i would pray for understanding from God repeatedly before i had a session of reading the Bible.. Many times i would find later passages of scripture would help me to understand earlier passages better.. But i would always read carefully each sentence even if i could not understand.. It's all about having the Faith / Trust that God will cause you to understand what ever you Need to understand when you need to understand it..

From hindsight i now always advise people to read the New Testament first before reading the Old testament.. The Gospel of my Lord Jesus Christ is important to know and respond to..

I hope you are blessed in your reading and blessed in your seeking Friday :giggle: You take care..

BlessedByGod

Sep 28, 2019
Hello Everyone,
Welcome Friday to both Christian Chat and to Christianity and the following if our Lord, Savior, King, Our everything...

May God Bless you further with having a close walk with Jesus and following He that has placed your feet on his Blessed path.

Friday317

Aug 13, 2020
Oregon, USA
When i was reading the Bible for the first time i had a similar experience.. But i would pray for understanding from God repeatedly before i had a session of reading the Bible.. Many times i would find later passages of scripture would help me to understand earlier passages better.. But i would always read carefully each sentence even if i could not understand.. It's all about having the Faith / Trust that God will cause you to understand what ever you Need to understand when you need to understand it..

From hindsight i now always advise people to read the New Testament first before reading the Old testament.. The Gospel of my Lord Jesus Christ is important to know and respond to..

I hope you are blessed in your reading and blessed in your seeking Friday :giggle: You take care..
So I have already started the Old Testament and I was shocked to see how fire and brimstone it is. Not a whole lot love going on there. But I do read individual scriptures depending on what I'm feeling, I use the verse finder. Sometimes though it just doesn't make sense.
Thank you for you kind words and blessings.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Welcome and nice to meet you! Feel free to ask questions and I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses in the forums here. God bless you!