Not by machining little crosses.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tellion

Jan 8, 2003
I have no idea how to start a thread for machinists, so I thought I'd paraphrase Martin Luther.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Well i did a 4 year apprenticeship as a Fitter and Turner but i have no worked on machines for years.. I did a fair bit of work on laths and a little on a milling machine sharper and a big surface grinder.. But for most of the time i worked as a Pipe Fitter.. So not really doing machining.. We had guys who went off to specialize in machining that where called T.O.M.s Turning and Other Machining.. They worked on all kinds and sizes of machines..

Tellion

Jan 8, 2003
I've never done a formal apprenticeship, I got started as a press break operater when the CNC head offered me a job. And I while I can guess there are certainly the old school manual guys tooling their eyes, is love to learn any wisdom and swap stories with them too. I'm certainly the least of many great tradesman, but I love what I do.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
just had a little machine shop experience way back when, drill press, brake, shear, set up parts for rock crushers and aggregate reducers.
I watch and enjoy the ads for 3D printing of metal parts.

Tellion

Jan 8, 2003
I apologise in advance for any poor typing skills I might exhibit.

Tellion

Jan 8, 2003
just had a little machine shop experience way back when, drill press, brake, shear, set up parts for rock crushers and aggregate reducers.
I watch and enjoy the ads for 3D printing of metal parts.
I always wonder about that metal 3D printing. How do they soften/liquify metal and not ruin what must be a whole host of plastic components? It is an amazing feat of engineering.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
This is the closest example i have found on Utube to the Vertical Rotary grinder i was on for about 8 months.. The base of mine was longer and did not spin as this one does.. It moved lenghwise back and forward.. The base was magnetic and since i was grinding mostly steel parts i usually never needed to lock the job down with bolts.. The diameter of my grinder may have been just a little bit bigger, not by much.. Anyway this video will give you some idea of what i am talking about when i talk about a surface grinder..

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Cool, automotive cylinder heads were planed on a surface grinder.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I've run a break press before... you gotta be very careful where you put your hands.

I've run a C&C before too, but somebody else set it up. If you don't get the setup exactly right you can ruin a part, the expensive machine bit, make a lot of noise and send metal bits flying all over the place. Fortunately I wasn't the one who set it up so it wasn't my fault. Maybe I SHOULD have set it up...

Tellion

Jan 8, 2003
I've run a break press before... you gotta be very careful where you put your hands.

I've run a C&C before too, but somebody else set it up. If you don't get the setup exactly right you can ruin a part, the expensive machine bit, make a lot of noise and send metal bits flying all over the place. Fortunately I wasn't the one who set it up so it wasn't my fault. Maybe I SHOULD have set it up...
I know, right? You have to learn each part you do, too, and whether it's going to kiss the punch or not. I did enjoy it, miss it somedays. Sometimes it's more exciting than waiting for the program to do all the work.