Not sure this question has a yes or no answer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
This sentence bothers me, because if one thinks it is sin, but plans and does it anyway, with a plan to ask for forgiveness, isn't that presuming upon G-D's mercy? Not that I know! I am new to an understanding of sin, having not understood it properly until fairly recently!!

Also, is not all sin sin? For example, if I plan and carry out a lie, is that just as serious -- a high hand in the Face of the Almighty? The difference possibly being that divorce puts another in the position of being more likely to sin?

What if you decided to try to save the marriage. What if you reassessed him and life with him and deliberately worked for the marriage. I bring this up, because I did it in my marriage. In this one marriage, I had to do it several times, until he got it right. Seriously. Going from hatred for him to us being happy together for the last @ 10 years. Happy together. I wrote HAPPY together!! He has solidly proven himself over and over, especially through the last three years. Especially through this year! It can be done, if you are determined!

The OP and your post here bring this Scripture to mind. Hebrews 10:26-27

“For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,27 but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries.”

Knowing that something is sin and doing it is not obeying the Gospel. I looked up the Greek word for "deliberately" and it also carries with it another interpretation that means the same thing, "intentionally". So knowing that divorce is not God's will, by the Scripture above there would be no sacrifice for that sin, when one does it know the truth. Does this mean you are going to hell for it? NO!!!

Here is another portion of Scripture to consider I Corinthians 3:11-15 “For no one can lay a foundation other than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.12 Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw—13 each one's work will become manifest, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done.14 If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward.15 If anyone's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.”

Also tourist, brought up a very good point, submisson is not slavery. Here's an 11 minute video that will help understand submission.

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/six-things-submission-is-not

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017

​I forgot to ask is your husband a believer?

CS1

May 23, 2012
What if you just want a divorce because your unhappy and you got pressured into a marriage that you probably shouldn't of entered into. My question is, is divorce and remarriage for non biblical reasons an unforgivable sin? I would rather be a little unhappy for the rest of life than eternally damned
divorce is hated by God however, it is not a forgivable sin.
The bible is very clear on divorce and remarriage. that being said people do remarry and divorce and yes christians too.

I think the Church has really dropped the ball on this with lack of godly counsel. it is clear because the Redefining of marriage which Jesus said would happen in Matt 24. those who do this are not dammed to hell . Those who do not repent and have a relationship with Christ are already dammed divorced or not.

Feb 7, 2015
What if you just want a divorce because your unhappy and you got pressured into a marriage that you probably shouldn't of entered into. My question is, is divorce and remarriage for non biblical reasons an unforgivable sin? I would rather be a little unhappy for the rest of life than eternally damned
How many "unforgivable" sins does the Bible say there are? And, what is it?

So, whether or not you choose for various things to be "sin" or not, please don't get to thinking divorce, or suicide, or whatever else you find yourself imagining, are "the unpardonable sin."

Feb 7, 2015
One suggestion would be to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
God wants us to have life and have it more abundantly. A lot of us entered a marriage that was not probably wise to do so. What God has joined together may no one put asunder. My question would be, in such circumstances, did God actually join the two together in the first place? Even if divorce and subsequent remarriage is indeed a sin, and in some cases it is, it certainly is not an unforgivable sin.

Well put. The phrase "what God has joined together" cannot always be equated with a marriage.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
How submissive should I be. Submitting to his every controlling and paranoid need is killing me on the inside
Hello and Welcome :)

I would suggest, based on this information, that you move toward physical separation from your husband. Don't plan for divorce, but rather plan to get the support you need, and firmly request that your husband get help. Give him a time frame - six months or so, in which he needs to demonstrate real change. Only by getting out from under the domineering can you get healthy, and only when he doesn't have a victim can he get healthy.

I would further encourage you to spend some time with Patrick Doyle, a Christian counselor whose material is available through TheDoveTV and is on YouTube. He offers a lot of wisdom on this subject - for you and for your husband.

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
And, it's not the unforgivable sin. Only God's elect can commit that sin.
Interesting... :) You're the first person I've seen say that in these forums.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
God joins together all marriages doesn't he?
I'm not certain on that. In one sense, yes. But I'm thinking it's more complex than that and especially that not all marriages are the same. (1 Corinthinans 7:15 for example).

As mentioned by others, it's not a situation to take lightly. My recommendation is to take it to prayer sincerely, diligently, regularly until God moves for you. He may do that by changing your husband. He may do that by having you do something different. But the main thing is to get God involved so that you aren't acting un-godly.

Love in Jesus,
Kelby

KelbyofGod

Oct 8, 2017
That is certainly my understanding :)

What do you think of the statement another made, that blasphemy can only be committed by God's elect? Such a statement seems to me to overthrow the gospel message.
If you're a believer of once saved, always saved, the idea of a true christian sinning in an unforgivable manner probably sounds like heresy.

But if you understand that a person who has not tried vanilla ice cream cannot truly speak against it's flavor (because they do not KNOW what flavor that really is), then you'd understand that those without the holy ghost cannot truly speak against it,,, because they've not actually tasted it. But those who do have it cannot speak against it lightly. To whom much is given, much is required.

Luk 12:47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
That is certainly my understanding :)

What do you think of the statement another made, that blasphemy can only be committed by God's elect? Such a statement seems to me to overthrow the gospel message.
I'm thinking it's the exact OPPOSITE. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit can only be committed by the Spiritually dead, who are definitely NOT the elect.