Numbers

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Ok guys, I need your help again. Im in numbers and I am struggleing.I really want to skip over, so have you any tidbits to help me. I keep losing my place and getting lost in reading. :confused: And not the good lost. :eek:
So if you can give me any treasures to seek out I would be very greatful. :)
Goals are good!
Thankyou and God bless, pickles

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Hi Pickles,

I got this from the ESV Study Bible (Home | ESV Study Bible | Crossway), which is probably the best around at the moment. heres the key themes.

Key Themes

The theme of the Pentateuch is the gradual fulfillment of the promises to the patriarchs, and Numbers makes a notable contribution to the exposition of that theme. There are four elements to the patriarchal promise set out first in Genesis 12:1–3: (1) land, (2) many descendants, (3) covenant relationship with God, and (4) blessing to the nations. These four aspects of the promise all play a role in Numbers.

1. The land. The land of Canaan is the goal of the book of Numbers. It is broached in the first chapter, where a census is taken of all the men who are able to go to war. Israel is being prepared to fight for the land. Chapter 10 sees them setting out from Sinai, led by the fire of God's presence. Chapter 13 relates their arrival at the southern border of the land and the mission of the spies. The spies' gloomy report causes Israel to lose heart about the land, and God sentences them to wander for 40 years in the wilderness. But the second half of the book shows the people again on the move toward the land, overcoming opposition and reaching the eastern border of Canaan, marked by the Jordan River (ch. 34). The last word from God in the book is both a command and a promise: each of the tribes of the people of Israel shall hold on to its own inheritance (36:9).

2. Descendants. Abraham had been promised that his descendants would be as many as the stars of heaven (Gen. 15:5). Jacob's family consisted of just 70 persons when he entered Egypt (Gen. 46:27). Now they have increased immensely. The first census showed that the fighting men numbered 603,550. That did not include women and children. Surveying their camp from a hilltop, Balaam declared, “Who can count the dust of Jacob or number the fourth part of Israel?” (Num. 23:10). Balaam went on to predict that Israel would become a powerful kingdom in its own right: “a star shall come out of Jacob, and a scepter shall rise out of Israel” (24:17).

3. Covenant relationship with God. The essence of the covenant was, “You shall be my people, and I will be your God.” The Lord's presence with Israel is constantly brought out in the book of Numbers. There are the dramatic manifestations of his presence in the cloud that guided them or that appeared at moments of crisis (e.g., 9:15–23; 14:10). Then the design of the tabernacle and the harsh measures to be taken against intruders all emphasized the reality of God's holy presence (3:38). On the other hand, Israel was expected to trust God's promises and obey his laws. Failure to do so resulted in death for the individual and sometimes for large groups (e.g., 15:32–36; 25:6–9). Even Moses forfeited his right to enter the land because of disobedience (20:10–13). But despite Israel's persistent failure to keep to the law, God never forsakes them or goes back on his promises. They may have to wait an extra 40 years to enter the land, but eventually they do reach it. “The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love” (14:18).

4. Blessing to the nations. This is the aspect of the promises that is least apparent in Numbers. To a greater or lesser degree, the nations that Israel encounters are all hostile: the Edomites refuse Israel passage; the Moabites try to have Israel cursed; Sihon and Og attack them and are defeated (chs. 21–22). Nevertheless Balaam recalls the phrasing of Genesis 12:3 when he says, “Blessed are those who bless you, and cursed are those who curse you” (Num. 24:9). The implication is that nations who treat Israel generously by blessing her will themselves be blessed.

Hope this helps, I have commentaries at home but unfortunately I am work the now.

in Love

Phil

Sharp

May 5, 2009
Hi pickles

A really good verse in Numbers which a friend of mine always points out is 23:19. This is a really good passage to read when doubt enters the mind of the believer.

God is not man, that he should lie,​
or a son of man, that he should change his mind.​
Has he said, and will he not do it?​
Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?​

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Hi pickles

A really good verse in Numbers which a friend of mine always points out is 23:19. This is a really good passage to read when doubt enters the mind of the believer.

God is not man, that he should lie,

or a son of man, that he should change his mind.

Has he said, and will he not do it?

Thanks for pointing that out sharp, I'll have to put that one to memory.

Phil

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Hi Pickles,

I got this from the ESV Study Bible (Home | ESV Study Bible | Crossway), which is probably the best around at the moment. heres the key themes.

Key Themes

The theme of the Pentateuch is the gradual fulfillment of the promises to the patriarchs, and Numbers makes a notable contribution to the exposition of that theme. There are four elements to the patriarchal promise set out first in Genesis 12:1–3: (1) land, (2) many descendants, (3) covenant relationship with God, and (4) blessing to the nations. These four aspects of the promise all play a role in Numbers.

1. The land. The land of Canaan is the goal of the book of Numbers. It is broached in the first chapter, where a census is taken of all the men who are able to go to war. Israel is being prepared to fight for the land. Chapter 10 sees them setting out from Sinai, led by the fire of God's presence. Chapter 13 relates their arrival at the southern border of the land and the mission of the spies. The spies' gloomy report causes Israel to lose heart about the land, and God sentences them to wander for 40 years in the wilderness. But the second half of the book shows the people again on the move toward the land, overcoming opposition and reaching the eastern border of Canaan, marked by the Jordan River (ch. 34). The last word from God in the book is both a command and a promise: each of the tribes of the people of Israel shall hold on to its own inheritance (36:9).

2. Descendants. Abraham had been promised that his descendants would be as many as the stars of heaven (Gen. 15:5). Jacob's family consisted of just 70 persons when he entered Egypt (Gen. 46:27). Now they have increased immensely. The first census showed that the fighting men numbered 603,550. That did not include women and children. Surveying their camp from a hilltop, Balaam declared, “Who can count the dust of Jacob or number the fourth part of Israel?” (Num. 23:10). Balaam went on to predict that Israel would become a powerful kingdom in its own right: “a star shall come out of Jacob, and a scepter shall rise out of Israel” (24:17).

3. Covenant relationship with God. The essence of the covenant was, “You shall be my people, and I will be your God.” The Lord's presence with Israel is constantly brought out in the book of Numbers. There are the dramatic manifestations of his presence in the cloud that guided them or that appeared at moments of crisis (e.g., 9:15–23; 14:10). Then the design of the tabernacle and the harsh measures to be taken against intruders all emphasized the reality of God's holy presence (3:38). On the other hand, Israel was expected to trust God's promises and obey his laws. Failure to do so resulted in death for the individual and sometimes for large groups (e.g., 15:32–36; 25:6–9). Even Moses forfeited his right to enter the land because of disobedience (20:10–13). But despite Israel's persistent failure to keep to the law, God never forsakes them or goes back on his promises. They may have to wait an extra 40 years to enter the land, but eventually they do reach it. “The Lord is slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love” (14:18).

4. Blessing to the nations. This is the aspect of the promises that is least apparent in Numbers. To a greater or lesser degree, the nations that Israel encounters are all hostile: the Edomites refuse Israel passage; the Moabites try to have Israel cursed; Sihon and Og attack them and are defeated (chs. 21–22). Nevertheless Balaam recalls the phrasing of Genesis 12:3 when he says, “Blessed are those who bless you, and cursed are those who curse you” (Num. 24:9). The implication is that nations who treat Israel generously by blessing her will themselves be blessed.

Hope this helps, I have commentaries at home but unfortunately I am work the now.

in Love

Phil
Thankyou Phil, this will help alot. I do have to say I was amazed at how many people there were. I had never considered that there were that many. It blew me away when I read the census. I appreciate your help. I am able to read better when I can break it up into separate goals and studies.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Hi pickles

God is not man, that he should lie,

or a son of man, that he should change his mind.

Has he said, and will he not do it?

Thankyou Sharp, this helps, God Our Father is a bit scary in the OT. Ive had to do alot of praying because of this. The unclean when refuring to those that were simply born that way has been hard to grasp. God Our Father in prayers keeps telling me that all will be understood in time, so dont be discouraged.
I am begining to see that God Our Father is the I am, Jesus is the word and wisdom, the Holy Spirit is the streangth and action of God.

May 21, 2009
Hi Pickles
Do you ever ask God where you could be reading for what will help you for today?

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Hi Pickles
Do you ever ask God where you could be reading for what will help you for today?
Hi Loveschild, I felt called to read the Ot by God Our Father. But yes, I spend time in the scriptures every day led by the Holy Spirit. Reading the OT has been quite a revalation, a bit difficult, but truelly a gift.
God bless, pickles

M

Mal316

Yay for reading through Numbers! :) Praise the Lord, Who was pleased for the sake of His righteousness to render His Torah great and glorious. Isaiah 42:21 It is a tree of life to them that hold fast to it and all of its supporters are happy. Long life is in its right hand; riches and honor in its left. Its ways are ways of pleasantness and all its paths are peace. Proverbs 3:18, 16, 17 I pray that the Lord open your eyes that you may continue to see wonderful things in His Torah. Psalm 119:18

The Hebrew name for the book of Numbers is "Bemidbar" meaning, "in the wilderness." It can be easy to get bogged down with the recounting of the names and the numbers of the tribes of Israel. Don't forget the big picture of God refining the Israelites in the wilderness. He got the people out of Egypt, but Egypt wasn't out of the people. See how they yearn for the "fleshpots of Egypt." How they want to go back to Egypt, which the Lord said they were not to do. Between Egypt (slavery) and the Promised Land (freedom) lies the wilderness. It's a testing ground. Will the Israelites remain true to God or backslide?

And there are also some fascinating stories in Numbers: Korah and his band; Balaam and his talking donkey; Miriam and Aaron speaking against Moses; and the story of the spies scouting the Promised Land,, to name a few.

Keep at it, pickles! There's great treasure in store for those who dig deep into God's Word. :)

May 21, 2009
Hi Pickles
Yes the old book is difficult. The Lord has me in Jeremiah. Have to go to ladies bible study pretty soon. Have a wonderful day!

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Yay for reading through Numbers! :) Praise the Lord, Who was pleased for the sake of His righteousness to render His Torah great and glorious. Isaiah 42:21 It is a tree of life to them that hold fast to it and all of its supporters are happy. Long life is in its right hand; riches and honor in its left. Its ways are ways of pleasantness and all its paths are peace. Proverbs 3:18, 16, 17 I pray that the Lord open your eyes that you may continue to see wonderful things in His Torah. Psalm 119:18

The Hebrew name for the book of Numbers is "Bemidbar" meaning, "in the wilderness." It can be easy to get bogged down with the recounting of the names and the numbers of the tribes of Israel. Don't forget the big picture of God refining the Israelites in the wilderness. He got the people out of Egypt, but Egypt wasn't out of the people. See how they yearn for the "fleshpots of Egypt." How they want to go back to Egypt, which the Lord said they were not to do. Between Egypt (slavery) and the Promised Land (freedom) lies the wilderness. It's a testing ground. Will the Israelites remain true to God or backslide?

And there are also some fascinating stories in Numbers: Korah and his band; Balaam and his talking donkey; Miriam and Aaron speaking against Moses; and the story of the spies scouting the Promised Land,, to name a few.

Keep at it, pickles! There's great treasure in store for those who dig deep into God's Word. :)
Thankyou Mal, the support and sharing of understanding different scriptures in the OT has trully helped.
The hard parts are deffinatly the censis, geneologies, and listing of sacrifices. But I sence that because these are threre that there must be a hidden revalation within these recitations. I do enjoy the stories, and the dual understandings in the OT and NT have only added to Gods wonder and greatness. I am looking forward to reading the more story friendly portion of the OT. But with the help of all here I am discovering even the tedious has great value. The true mirical for me is that I have always struggled with memory, recall and retention issues in reading. A learning issue I have had all of my life.
God has answered my prayers in his word. For the first time in my life I am able to retain what I have read. I have even memorized some scripture. This has never been possible with out a tremendous effort and even then I would still have problems.
I still have these issues with other reading. But when reading the word , I am able to remember and retain. I was cautious at first about saying anything, but as the full impact of Gods help in this , has brought me to tears. God Our Father is true to our hearts desires. All is in Jesus to the Glory of God Our Father.
God bless, pickles

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Hi Pickles
Yes the old book is difficult. The Lord has me in Jeremiah. Have to go to ladies bible study pretty soon. Have a wonderful day!
I look forward to sharing info when I reach Jeremiah. :D
God bless, pickles