O'Reilly is GONE!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Galatea

I think there are a few things people are missing in this whole scenario.

(1) O'Reilly was like the top dog, or the boss at Fox. Sexual comments from him are not the same as comments from Johnny the mail room boy. The mail room boy has zero power in the workplace. O'Reilly had an enormous amount of power at Fox. Comments by Johnny could be shrugged off quite easily. Comments by O'Reilly could be interpreted in a threatening manner- like if the woman did not reciprocate, she might feel her job is in jeopardy.
(2) We don't know what these women dressed like (not that it matters). They may have been very modest in their dress, and not seeking attention at all, contrary what some others have posited.
(3) This is a WORK place, not social. There is an amount of decorum that should be practiced at work.

I am neither a liberal nor a feminist, but I don't think women should have to put up with listening to sexual comments or innuendo at work.

It does not matter who it comes from, when a man is crude it hurts his looks substantially (this is in response to the claim that if O'Reilly looked better, the women would not have complained).

I realize I'm straitlaced, but I think men should know that they work with all kinds of women, and the straitlaced squares may get offended by what they think is a harmless comment.

Last edited:

Billyd

May 8, 2014
My friends and I joke about being Crusty Old Geezers. This is not an unusual thing with any Seniors I know. Should I expect you to be offended by it? Of course not. And, unless you came to me and told me it hurt you, and asked me not to do it, how am I going to know that you would be offended by an expression I hear and use all the time?

"Hot Chocolate" is NOT an offensive comment. Women have called me "Eye Candy", "Tall Dark and Handsome", and "Stud Muffin", and similar terms, most of my life. Not offensive........ UNLESS, I choose to bring an attention-craving spotlight to focus directly on myself and make something out of it that it never was.
Hot chocolate may not be offensive to you or me, but it obviously was offensive to the lady it was addressed to. It is not a suitable way to address someone in the workplace.

Feb 7, 2015
I think there are a few things people are missing in this whole scenario.

(1) O'Reilly was like the top dog, or the boss at Fox. Sexual comments from him are not the same as comments from Johnny the mail room boy. The mail room boy has zero power in the workplace. O'Reilly had an enormous amount of power at Fox. Comments by Johnny could be shrugged off quite easily. Comments by O'Reilly could be interpreted in a threatening manner- like if the woman did not reciprocate, she might feel her job is in jeopardy.
(2) We don't know what these women dressed like (not that it matters). They may have been very modest in their dress, and not seeking attention at all, contrary what some others have posited.
(3) This is a WORK place, not social. There is an amount of decorum that should be practiced at work.

I am neither a liberal nor a feminist, but I don't think women should have to put up with listening to sexual comments or innuendo at work.

It does not matter who it comes from, when a man is crude it hurts his looks substantially (this is in response to the claim that if O'Reilly looked better, the women would not have complained).

I realize I'm straitlaced, but I think men should know that they work with all kinds of women, and the straitlaced squares may get offended by what they think is a harmless comment.
All I'm saying is show me the articles or videos when the cute guys in the mail room are being put in this position. And the "fear for her job?" She has been gone from there for nine years. She only became indignant after an anti-Trump lawyer called her, talking about $.

G

Galatea

All I'm saying is show me the articles or videos when the cute guys in the mail room are being put in this position. And the "fear for her job?" She has been gone from there for nine years. She only became indignant after an anti-Trump lawyer called her, talking about $.
I don't know all the details. But I do know if a low man on the totem pole said something crass to me, and the boss said something crass to me, I would feel slightly threatened by the boss's comments. I would not feel threatened by the mail room boy, just annoyed. I would not fear for my job. When a person in a workplace is a boss or wields a lot of power like O'Reilly, they can not be as personal as the peons are with each other.

Besides, there are five women here who have stated they were harassed, not just this one lady.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
My friends and I joke about being Crusty Old Geezers. This is not an unusual thing with any Seniors I know. Should I expect you to be offended by it? Of course not. And, unless you came to me and told me it hurt you, and asked me not to do it, how am I going to know that you would be offended by an expression I hear and use all the time?

"Hot Chocolate" is NOT an offensive comment. Women have called me "Eye Candy", "Tall Dark and Handsome", and "Stud Muffin", and similar terms, most of my life. Not offensive........ UNLESS, I choose to bring an attention-craving spotlight to focus directly on myself and make something out of it that it never was.
Has anyone ever told you, you're a tall cup of hot chocolate?

Feb 7, 2015
Has anyone ever told you, you're a tall cup of hot chocolate?
You've opened my eyes!!! I feel so humiliated and shamed. (And I am also afraid you may have some sway with the mods, and get me banned.) I just don't know what to do............................ So I think I'll just wait till someone offers me some money to say something in.... Oh, about 2026, or so.

HoneyDew

Apr 30, 2011
Please don't try to play the race card on this... that just demeans you...

Personally, I thought the woman in the interview was very attractive. I can see someone joking with her somewhat suggestively, calling her hot chocolate. That is NOT an insult, or a racial comment... I have seen and heard countless black people refer to people of color as "chocolate".... Most memorably, the ex mayor of New Orleans, when he made a comment on national TV about how they were going to make NO "chocolate" again, after Katrina.

Her story is the only one I've heard, regarding the specifics of the "sexual harassment" perpetrated by O'Reilly... .

I'm very interested to hear the other accusers' claims.... in detail. One person's sexual harassment is another person's "are you KIDDING me right now? You're offended by THAT? "

I strongly suspect that all the claims are as trivial as this woman's... which is why they haven't been made public?

I am open to being proven wrong, though...
I have said NOTHING in this thread to demean myself, SMH. I asked a question based on what I have seen in the comments. The other women have been made public, they have been on television just like the other lady. Why some waited, I don't know. Why did most of the ladies wait to speak up about Bill Cosby?

As far as men calling black women B.... and H... as was mentioned in the other posts. I can only speak for myself and the women that I know personally and none of them would answer to or accept being disrespected in such a way.

Whether the accusations against Bill O'reilly are true or not will come out in the wash eventually.

I will say this, I have had men say inappropriate things to me at work and I corrected them right then an there. I didn't go to HR and I didn't report them to any management. That is just me though every women has to handle things how they see fit. It has to be something serious for me to report someone. I mean more than words. Words, meh, I don't have to listen to you (general).

Last edited:
K

kaylagrl

You're right, and if he is innocent, then she should be prosecuted for making false accusations. But That still doesn't mean that anyone should have to put up with sexual harassment. Regardless of whether or not this case is true, some people seem to be complaining that women are complaining about sexual harassment in general.

You're right that some people want attention. But I find it interesting that when a house is broken into I've never seen some say, "Well, maybe the victim left his/her door unlocked or put a sign saying come right in! If that's the case then he/she deserves to be robbed!" And when someone is mugged or murdered, most people don't say, "Well, maybe the victim called the attackers a bad name and in that case who can blame the criminal?" But when it comes to harassment or even rape, it becomes a case of, "Well, did the woman wear a short skirt? Was she flirting with her attacker/harasser? Well, in that case why does she complain?" I've heard a lot of, "Well that's different because [fill in reason]." But what it seems to boil down to is "Well, in that case it might be me!" or "But people don't have a right to murder, assault, or steal! But everyone knows it's a God given right that people should be allowed to sexually harass others!" Hmmm...strange, I don't remember the Bible saying to put the victim on trial in cases of harassment but not in cases of robbery or murder. I do remember verses demonstrating that people are responsible for their own actions and that every criminal deserves a trial. In the course of events, naturally the exact circumstances would be brought to light, but that's for every crime. Only it seems to me that very few crimes besides harassment or assault cause people to suspect the victim of provoking an attack...

And also, there's a difference between wanting to look nice and wanting to be harassed. Some women do wear clothing that's too tight or too revealing and that's not right. But what about a woman that wears a dress that brings out her eyes because she thinks she looks pretty in it? Or a dress that shows that she has a figure but isn't form fitting? Likely she would like compliments, but there's a huge difference between wanting, "That's a nice dress. You look pretty today." and "You have a fine *****." Modesty doesn't mean wearing baggy clothing and making sure your hair is messed up in case someone might possibly look your way.

Yes, I imagine a lot of sexual harassers don't want to work with women who cry about being harassed. Just like a rapist doesn't want to be around a victim who would go to the police. And domestic abusers don't want their victims to whine about being hit. But it doesn't matter what the harassers want; contrary to what they believe, they should be in control of their own mouths and bodies and if they hurt or harass someone else they should be punished. The world doesn't exist to make sure they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want and never face any consequences. I'd imagine some parents are on this site. If your kid curses at you, is it wrong for you to punish him/her? After all, if men don't want to work with women who cry over harassment, why should kids want to have parents that get angry about every little instance of disrespect?

Yes, it does happen both ways. Women harass men just as men harass women. But neither way is right. Your husband would be perfectly within his rights to complain to HR and she should be disciplined. That doesn't mean men can harass women because some women harass men as well.

Im not saying that the victim should be put on trial.What I am saying is there are a LOT of false accusations that come out and it seems there is no punishment for it and their ought to be.But this is not a situation like anyone else because of the political climate and the fact that it seems the younger FOX owners are wanting to take the news channel left. So there may be more to come out. This is not a typical situation. The guy may be guilty,he may not but Im not taking the glee that the left media is running with. Wait until facts come out then we can set fire to the old man.

Quote "
"That's a nice dress. You look pretty today." and "You have a fine *****." "

​So thats my point. If either of those things are said this day in age ,that is considered sexual harassment. Both of those would be wrong in the work place.

Quote "
Yes, I imagine a lot of sexual harassers don't want to work with women who cry about being harassed. Just like a rapist doesn't want to be around a victim who would go to the police. And domestic abusers don't want their victims to whine about being hit. But it doesn't matter what the harassers want; contrary to what they believe, they should be in control of their own mouths and bodies and if they hurt or harass someone else they should be punished. The world doesn't exist to make sure they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want and never face any consequences. I'd imagine some parents are on this site. If your kid curses at you, is it wrong for you to punish him/her? After all, if men don't want to work with women who cry over harassment, why should kids want to have parents that get angry about every little instance of disrespect? "

I did NOT say sexually harassed women should shut up and put up. People are sick of false or stupid accusations being brought to destroy a persons career,and that gives a bad name to women in the work place. Herman Cain was accused and as soon as he dropped out of the running all the women that accused him suddenly disappeared. Why?! Lets see what comes of it.

Quote "Yes, it does happen both ways. Women harass men just as men harass women. But neither way is right. Your husband would be perfectly within his rights to complain to HR and she should be disciplined. That doesn't mean men can harass women because some women harass men as well."

Where did I say it was all right to harass women? I didn't. I dont believe this womans story because I believe the left has pushed this to get rid of their biggest competitor. You can see the absolute glee the left is having over this.So lets wait and see what comes out,so far Im not buyin it.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Is it possible to sexually harass ones own wife?

Feb 7, 2015
I'm getting a kick out of this. I, for one, have never doubted for a moment that O'Riley said "Hello, Hot Chocolate", to her. And I imagine he would agree that he did.

That has never been the point. The silly accusation that saying "Hot Chocolate" was somehow harassment is the ludicrous part of claiming that makes him "guilty" of anything other than being friendly.

G

Galatea

Im not saying that the victim should be put on trial.What I am saying is there are a LOT of false accusations that come out and it seems there is no punishment for it and their ought to be.But this is not a situation like anyone else because of the political climate and the fact that it seems the younger FOX owners are wanting to take the news channel left. So there may be more to come out. This is not a typical situation. The guy may be guilty,he may not but Im not taking the glee that the left media is running with. Wait until facts come out then we can set fire to the old man.

Quote "
"That's a nice dress. You look pretty today." and "You have a fine *****." "

​So thats my point. If either of those things are said this day in age ,that is considered sexual harassment. Both of those would be wrong in the work place.

Quote "
Yes, I imagine a lot of sexual harassers don't want to work with women who cry about being harassed. Just like a rapist doesn't want to be around a victim who would go to the police. And domestic abusers don't want their victims to whine about being hit. But it doesn't matter what the harassers want; contrary to what they believe, they should be in control of their own mouths and bodies and if they hurt or harass someone else they should be punished. The world doesn't exist to make sure they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want and never face any consequences. I'd imagine some parents are on this site. If your kid curses at you, is it wrong for you to punish him/her? After all, if men don't want to work with women who cry over harassment, why should kids want to have parents that get angry about every little instance of disrespect? "

I did NOT say sexually harassed women should shut up and put up. People are sick of false or stupid accusations being brought to destroy a persons career,and that gives a bad name to women in the work place. Herman Cain was accused and as soon as he dropped out of the running all the women that accused him suddenly disappeared. Why?! Lets see what comes of it.

Quote "Yes, it does happen both ways. Women harass men just as men harass women. But neither way is right. Your husband would be perfectly within his rights to complain to HR and she should be disciplined. That doesn't mean men can harass women because some women harass men as well."

Where did I say it was all right to harass women? I didn't. I dont believe this womans story because I believe the left has pushed this to get rid of their biggest competitor. You can see the absolute glee the left is having over this.So lets wait and see what comes out,so far Im not buyin it.
I don't keep up with the news as much as I ought, but I have a good memory. I remember there was an accusation against O'Reilly years ago, but it was kind of downplayed at the time. This is why I have a tendency to believe what has been said, now. It seems it might be a case of the straw that broke the camel's back with O'Reilly, like he was inappropriate to too many women. I think that makes a difference.

O'Reilly Settles Sex Harass Suit - CBS News

The above link was from 2004, where he settled a sexual harassment suit.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I have said NOTHING in this thread to demean myself, SMH. I asked a question based on what I have seen in the comments.
HoneyDew... what I got from your previous comment, which prompted me to reply the way I did was when you implied that none of us would be doubting this woman if she "Looked more like us".. .or something to that effect. I took that to mean that you thought we were criticizing this woman only because she was black, and "we" are not.

That is why I suggested you not play the race card, because this whole episode has had NO racial undertones, or overtones to it.

Claiming racism, when there is so obviously none, is demeaning to the person claiming it....

If that is not what you meant by your comment, I apologize.... but I would like to know what you DID mean by it..

Feb 28, 2016
PHIL. 4:7.
And the Peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds'
through Christ Jesus.'

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Oh, absolutely! I agree with this completely. The key to this is in the last part of this quote... "what they think is a harmless comment"....

I imagine that O'Reilly thought exactly that.... at least I would like to think that.

I would like to think he is not a "sexual harasser", but I am certainly open to seeing actual proof that he did sexually harass those women.

I have not seen it yet.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I'm getting a kick out of this. I, for one, have never doubted for a moment that O'Riley said "Hello, Hot Chocolate", to her. And I imagine he would agree that he did.

That has never been the point. The silly accusation that saying "Hot Chocolate" was somehow harassment is the ludicrous part of claiming that makes him "guilty" of anything other than being friendly.

Well, fair is fair.

The first time someone says, "Hello, hot vanilla" to me, I'm suing.