Our nature is our destiny (with some caveats)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Kafziel

Dec 28, 2018
Some people say it's destiny and some say it's choice but it has to be both. I don't think we have complete free will, I mean there is always a choice but I don't think we have complete free will in a way. I believe we have a personal nature. So some things are destiny (with the caveat that we can have ourselves or someone else can physically restrained us from doing them). Let's take for instance someone with a sinful nature, someone who eats too much. Yes they will absolutely eat too much if given the opportunity, but if they imprisoned for whatever reason and put on a diet they will have no other opportunity but to eat little food.

So it is free will in a way but also a potential destiny assuming freedom of circumstance.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
So......another comment lessening God and Jesus, huh?

The example in no way lessens "free will."

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Some people say it's destiny and some say it's choice but it has to be both. I don't think we have complete free will, I mean there is always a choice but I don't think we have complete free will in a way. I believe we have a personal nature. So some things are destiny (with the caveat that we can have ourselves or someone else can physically restrained us from doing them). Let's take for instance someone with a sinful nature, someone who eats too much. Yes they will absolutely eat too much if given the opportunity, but if they imprisoned for whatever reason and put on a diet they will have no other opportunity but to eat little food.

So it is free will in a way but also a potential destiny assuming freedom of circumstance.
We have complete free will in the environment in which we find ourselves.

God could restrain us in an ultimate way, make us biological robots. But we wouldn't learn anything from that.

We have free will as long as we are willing to take the results of our actions. The Bible laid out the results we can expect.

This brings us to the reason for being alive at all: We are here to learn from our mistakes and figure out God's way really is best. Think of this life as a tutorial level. And we have complete freedom to wreck ourselves any way we want. We have to live with the junk our actions cause though.

Kafziel

Dec 28, 2018

Anything I say that seems realistic to me lessens God and Jesus. They are regarded as perfect.

No not really but however it doesn't just apply to people, the nature of the universe is inescapable for example. Destiny is just an interaction between the nature of beings and the nature of the environment they find themselves in. I learned that from something I heard one day that wasn't really there, interestingly enough.